Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Ahhh the ground floor! Excellent!

I vote B - I think that these games are more fun when you play it from the perspective of an outsider looking in. In a cosmos filled with gods, angels, and the afterlife playing as a mortal seems more appropriate for the setting.

Hot Dog Day #82 fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Choice D

Now that we have decided to play as a mortal, I think we should go all in with the "being at the end of the food chain" idea. What better way is there to begin our destiny than in a fishing village? Many people will be tempted to go with the more prestigious options, but I think that being born into poor circumstances will give us the most rewarding character and a fresh perspective.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Here is a question for you, Diog!

In choice A you write that the city was founded four generations ago - but people have been living in the village since as far back as anyone can remember. How long ago did society start settling down? Are we four generations removed from being hunter/gatherers or are we just in a region that is now getting around to being settled?

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
D

I don't know whats going on but daddy shouldn't be raising his hands at anybody! It is super scary!!

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
What is our uncle going to do, really? Stop his brother, the high priest? We live in an isolated village and right now all your uncle will know is that a foreigner (who worships a foreign god) was holding a knife to his nephew's head and that his brother stopped her before anything bad happened. He is probably more likely to join in than stop whatever is happening.

Also, Jalitha is likely a slave - which is why she was doing the cooking while mom was free to do... whatever it is that mom does. I'd imagine that dad would have free reign to beat a slave, which our uncle probably would know too.

Hot Dog Day #82 fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 22, 2013

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

the_steve posted:

G. "Save Jalitha!" While pointing frantically

I am with the_steve! Choice G seems to be our best bet to get Uncle's attention, given our age.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I am changing my vote from G to A

ADP brings up a great point. As much as I'd like our character to take the moral highground and tell his Uncle that dad is beating up a slave, realistically we can't expect much out of our 4 year old self. We just dodged death and defilement - that earns us a few tears.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Option E

This is all so stressful! Only Mommy can help us now!

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
All we know is that dad is holding her hair! He may intend for us to cut her neck, we just assume he wants us to cut her hair.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Pochoclo posted:

When I was a 4 year old even when I was in highly stressful situations I'm pretty sure I still had enough motor control not to slice someone's neck open unless I put some real thought and strength into it.
The only way we're going to cut Jalitha's neck is if our father decides to grab our hands and force us, which he can totally do, but it's not like Diogines is going to completely gently caress us over by saying "I didn't specify WHAT you were going to cut! Tough luck you cut Jalitha's head off with mirthful glee!".

Well I wasn't trying to say that we'd make an effort to cut her hair, but then slip and cut her neck by accident. I was more tying to imply that it may not be our father's intention for us to cut her hair, but rather just cut her in general. Either way, though, I was horribly incorrect! It turns out I either have terrible reading comprehension or an awful memory, because in the text it says:

"'Grip tightly my son and CUT! Beg that Asherah will not hold you to account for the crimes of this witch!' your father says as he kneels over Jalitha and pulls her strange and pretty hair out straight for you to cut."

So I take it all back!

Hot Dog Day #82 fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 23, 2013

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
1:

A. Father - As the next High Priest we probably spend a good part of our waking life being groomed for the succession!
H. Alone, swimming in the ocean - we had a vision while under-water, I bet we keep coming back trying to learn more
E. Jalitha
B. Uncle Jorah
F. Alone along the beach
C. Uncle Pagam
D. Mom
G. Alone in the forest

2:

L Yes, to both Ashera and the gods of your people, alongside Jalitha's the sky giant, you believe in them both

After growing up in our village, surrounded by believers and raised as the High Priest's son, I think it only makes sense that we'd worship Ashera. Our love of Jalitha would expose us to her god, which probably means we'd worship her god in a pinch too (or at least ask him for favors!).

Hot Dog Day #82 fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 24, 2013

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

We spend most of our time with our Uncle, so it only follows that we'd be on his boat floating down a lazy river right about now. Perhaps we can ask him what's best in life!

Hot Dog Day #82 fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 25, 2013

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

A Darker Porpoise posted:

Yeah if we're talking to Dad lets ask him about the voice telling us about storms while we were being drowned.

I agree with my buddy, ADP. Also, we should ask him what grandpa was like because, well, maybe talking about his father would open him up a bit - or at least let us learn more about his background.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
1. No
2. Yes

Seems like the most prudent thing to do! Our father strikes me as a decent enough man (for his time), but asking him if he is really our dad will only lead to trouble.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I am all for telling him the truth about the storm and the vision we had.

About the village:

Are there any stories about how our people came to live there?
Do we know where we came from before we found the village?
Are there are any other slaves from Jalitha's people in the village?
How did she come to stay with us, and what happened to the people who traveled with her?

Hot Dog Day #82 fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 26, 2013

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Yes

Childhood ends early in the Paleolithic; It is time for us to contribute to the village's welfare.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
When in doubt follow the chain of command! Our god won't let father die until we are ready to be high priest - he can handle a few monsters and outsiders no problem. Plus the outsiders don't know we can kind of understand them, we might learn something dad can use if they are speaking in confidence to one another . Also seeing one of their own as a slave may not rub them the right way.

I voted incorrectly while on my phone! Sorry counters!

Hot Dog Day #82 fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 27, 2013

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

When in doubt follow the chain of command! Our god won't let father die until we are ready to be high priest - he can handle a few monsters and outsiders no problem. Plus the outsiders don't know we can kind of understand them, we might learn something dad can use if they are speaking in confidence to one another . Also seeing one of their own as a slave may not rub them the right way.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Theglavwen posted:

Yeah, playing cautious for the time being and voting E: We should ask Father if we should fetch Jalitha to translate, but we don't even know yet if, perhaps, Father can translate just fine himself, and bringing in Jalitha could cause more problems than it solves.

Also, do we have any indication that we even could translate ourself? Did I miss the bit where Jalitha taught us her language?

Due to spending time with her we learned some words from her language, but not enough to be fluent. I forget the exact quote, but it showed up in diog's update where he covered who we listed the amount of time we spent with people/being alone.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I have mentioned this in IRC, but not in the thread! I have been keeping a running document of the information we know about the game so far (I am terrible at remembering minutia, so mostly it is for my own benefit). If you are ever confused, forget something, or just want to kill some time then head on over to here and take in some background story!

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

It makes me so sad that option A is doing so well, especially in light of the fact that we just voted for Og to bond with his father and take his studies more seriously. Are we really the kind of 11 year old who runs away at the first sign of trouble? We can't abandon our parents, home, and people when things get tough. It is an act of cowardliness that I simply cannot abide!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I'm voting for and

It is time to cry and cheese it for the beach! Our dad may have been a hard man to deal with, but he was still our father and we had become more emotionally invested with him in these last few weeks. It seems our father was at peace with his decision (or at least as at peace as a guy can be while shooting lightning while getting speared) due to his meditating on the beach beforehand. He knew what was going to happen, and I wager that the prophecy doesn't involve his only son running off with the people who just murdered him.