Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

B sounds boring. Nah, actually it seems to be the option that best suits me.

B.

Whether or not Option A may or may not be a human, a "being of the Heavens" leads me to think it may be an option graced with loftier capacities. Option B is most certainly a mortal. Humility comes before honor so I choose B as my vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

A
Baitelim seem to have several generations with a philosophy of preparedness. This is something I can latch on to. While nomads seek violence, Baitelites arranged to be the bastion of peace and balance in the land. Beit/Bait means "house" in Urdu. I'd prefer to live with those who prefer solidarity over temporary gain.

Baitel's workin' with what they've got, and thus they prosper. Truly, El blesses them.

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

Diogines posted:

I will answer very, very basic questions about each starting location till then.
Any accounts of great-floods lately?

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

F
There is no time. Diffuse the situation now by stepping up to Shushem. Blameless as we think we are right now, humility will melt our father's heart.

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

No way man you gotta know when to delegate. We have limitations because we are small and weak.
The word of a child is more powerful than you might think. Think Frodo at the Council of Elrond. Melting Shushem's heart will take time and we'd better set it on the right track.

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

Walkin Goon posted:

Gonna go ahead and change my vote here to Option F.

Thinking about it, I don't think we should be looking to antagonize anyone in this situation, even if Dad's a dick.

While I doubt he will take a 4 year old's word seriously over "demons" and the "WITCH", hopefully we can convince him that we told her to do it because dammit, that hair was getting in our eyes and we are a stupid kid who doesn't know any better.

Anything to get Jalitha off the hook, while still sparing us from a royal beating that results in Dad hating our guts. :(
Thank you! This is exactly how to deflect an argument. It'll be like snack-man to the rescue. Misdirect the attention away from the target and onto something unexpected or confusing. Shouting "Stop!" will only give him reason to continue, and Jalitha may not have time to wait for Jorah. Interjecting with something unexpected will steal his thunder and halt the advance.

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

A, D, F and E are off the table for me. They're either useless to our mission, distracting or confusing.

Diogines posted:

Written options wont always succeed.
Both G and H are less likely to get their messages across than the other options. B and C match our mission and C is more neutral for Jorah to make up his mind upon sight of the situation.

Althair posted:

H Willpower is like a muscle. Exercising it makes it stronger. We will be strong!
Whoa you may have a point here. So you think taking chances like these will improve our character's personality? Definitely puts custom or "dangerous" options back on my table. This might suggest there's a reward for risking something.

Diogines posted:

Random chance sometimes comes into play, beside your abilities, the nature of the world and many other things come into play.

Try to summon all of the self control, discipline and willpower
Let's start growing self control, discipline and willpower, 3 things our father doesn't have.
H

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

J Try something else.

Try taking a deep breath, looking your father, Shushem, in the eyes, give Jalitha the tooth.

Do not return evil with evil.

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

C. Uncle Pagam - BE A HUNTER, SCOUT, SPY!
G. Alone in the forest - Experience the wilderness!
F. Alone along the beach - Consider there's more out there than Og's village, Athar
B. Uncle Jorah
E. Jalitha
A. Father
D. Mom
H. Alone, swimming in the ocean

I want Og to believe in a deity of someday, but not El, Asherah or anything mentioned in the game yet.

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

Uncle Pagem's my highest choice, closely behind my Alone in the Forest vote. Sad to see it on the bottom, but it's what the people want. Sure, it's true investing in Shushem to usurp the title of High Priest is wise, but there's a whole world out there we should prepare for. Pagem may be more learned in the ways of the outside world than the rest of Athar.

Either way, my goal for Og is to cultivate his self control, discipline and willpower.

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

DCBomB posted:

Absofugginlutely

A Terrible Person posted:

I'm voting for:

1: C, G, A, D, B, H, E, F.
Woohoohoo! We got some more C and G votes up here. It may yet have a chance to get above last place. :v: As small as Athar is among the rest of the peoples, we should invest in subterfuge not only in hunting, but war, scouting and spying as well. We wont have machine guns. Bronze or iron may be our best resource in melee and skirmishing like darts, arrows and slinging will be best our arsenal could muster, I'd wager. Numbers actually do count, so we should invest in other options if our peoples have the misfortune of going to battle.

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

"Are you my real father?"

My theory is that Jorah or someone else is our real dad who copulated with Shushem's wife. My theory is that Shushem is infertile.

Diogines posted:

You are rather tall for your age.

You look different.

As much as you could, you took every opportunity to be with Jorah, leaving with him in the morning on his boat when he left to fish, out of the reach of your father.

You no longer look at Jorah with the eyes of a toddler and Jorah is indeed the tallest and strongest man in the village and though he sometimes argues with your father, he has never disobeyed him in any drastic ways, nor has he placed a hand on him or threatened to do so.
Why are we so tall?
Do other children treat us different cause they know something?
Why are we so drawn to Jorah, anyway
Why is he acting like a real father figure, but has to respect Shushem?
Did Shushem ask Jorah to sire a child with Shushem's wife because Shushem's infertile?
Did the deal also include the fact that Jorah would have to go along with it to make the village Athar think it's Shushem's real son?
Why doesn't Shushem have any other children?

The answers to these questions seem to support my theory.

"Are you my real father?"

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

Diogines posted:

I assumed these were questions to other players, not to Shushem?
They were, but I wouldn't mind asking: "Why don't you have any other children?" or "Why don't I have siblings?"
This is a softer question than "Are you my real father?" and it may give us a hint without the consequences many voters are concerned for.

1. No, ask "Why don't I have siblings?" instead.
2. No. It was a still, small voice, for only us to hear. We would be wise to understand the messenger wishes only us to know.

OhYo fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 25, 2013

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

I'm good for telling him what we know, but keep in mind this is only to hear his interpretation of it.

I'm still okay with "Why don't I have any siblings?"
"What other major landmarks are nearby besides the sea and the forest?"
"How many days travel to the closest village?"
"Is there any way to pass on the rituals besides by telling it? Maybe some way to log it to future generations?"
"In what way do you and Asherah wish Athar to prosper? Power, wealth, renown? All or none of these? something else entirely?"

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

Diogines posted:

DO YOU RE-PRIORITIZE YOUR TIME TO TAKE YOUR FATHERS LESSONS MORE SERIOUSLY?
A. Yes. I don't mind if we ask or if Shushan allows a day of rest from our studies.

Diogines posted:

"Asherah does not care for the prosperity or suffering of our people, except that we obey his commandments. The rituals you will learn when you are a man, shall be those things most pleasing to Asherah, my son."
Assuming most voters wish to invest Og's time and effort in the village of Athar (and not elsewhere), we should go along with our father Shushem's upbringing to become the High Priest of Athar. If we decide Asherah is real or not, that will be for us as High Priest to gradually change the hearts of the villagers or not. Reason being, Shushem and the so-called Asherah have no intentions of seeing Athar grow or prosper.

I hope you are catching up on Diogines' sentiment that Athar and her peoples are very primitive and see it content to stay that way for generation after generation. If that's something you would like to see continue, go vote that way, but Og has been given one life to influence this world. I urge you voters to use Og's time and effort wisely to the prosperity of their village and the land. Education, culture, influence, power, commerce, renown, diplomacy or whatever you desire for Og, please realize that studying the ways of Asherah will bring us to a seat of influence among the people of Athar, but Asherah the fish may eventually become the stumbling block on the way to our eventual goal. I vote to study to become the best High Priest Og can, if only to claim that seat of power to his own.

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

EVG posted:

QUESTION! Diogenes, can we do an alternate choice and Suggest to Dad that we make Jalitha translate?

maxhush posted:

"Dad, they look like Jalitha"
ONLY IF the situation arises that our father harkens to our voice, we suggest anything about Jalitha. He probably already knows so best shut up for now. I know we're a kid, but an 11 year old knows enough not to just scamper off and ignore their father, especially one responsible enough to say: "Father" you say. "I... I am sorry I have not been mindful of your lessons. I didn't realize how important...."

Please consider changing your vote to E. and try for a patient answer.

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

J aka Lanky Coconut Tree plan

I'm not so sure Jalitha is our birth-mother.
I'm less sure Asherah is a real deity.

J none the less.
+

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

Cry.
Mourn.
Life, whether evil or not, has died. Chance for freewill in this plane for them has ended and their memories, emotions and person is out of reach. Woe to them who find eternal damnation. Remember them, remember.
Asherah, though seemingly a source of power, is no Creator.
El, though many follow, has yet to prove their veracity.

Og, is young, and has gone through so much already. May he find solace.

It's time to let go. Mourn, but... let go of Ashar, of this life and of Shushem, Og's father.

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

maxhush posted:

Say;

El is the king of the sky giants. He and his giants send lightning to punish evil people and monsters. My Dad shot lightning at you.

:colbert:
Another vote.
I think we're trying to show our 11 year old level of understanding here with this one. Right? I mean, we don't really know exactly what happened, so maybe Tudiya and Jalitha will help explain things after we say this.

E: I couldn't brain last night. So much so, I couldn't tell that this was inflammatory. I thought it was more "I'm a stupid 11-year-old, I don't understand what just happened." I'm going to post a new vote.

OhYo fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 29, 2013

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

Voting for an emotion for whatever answer wins: humility and sincerity.

I'm okay with answers like these:

Rahul posted:

El is the king of the sky giants. He and his giants send lightning to punish evil people and monsters. But didn't my Dad shoot lightning at you?
[Then burst into tears]

SerSpook posted:

El is the leader of the sky-giants, king and father of them all, who rules the world. His spear is Smattas, whom thunders when he fights. Another is Maranal, who blesses Smattas with lightning and heals the sick. Labaras was a giant of the land, who founded the Big Village Baitel; his children founded other places, such as Zepath.

The giants never fight, for they all serve El. They may trick one another, but never truly engage in conflict. The world contains monsters, that El and his giants protect us from, as you have protected my mother and I on this day from the demon that had been worshiped.

When in danger, ask El to save you, and he shall.

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

"Jalitha... I mean... mother... Is it wise to tell Tudiya that I am humbly honored by his cutting my hair and naming me? Should I stay silent?"
and

Pththya-lyi posted:

Mother, who is my real father?

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

Diogines posted:

"All the men of Baitel have their hair first cut when they are young, Sweetling" your mother says. "When Labaras first spoke with El, an ange-... a Sky Giant told him to make himself holy, so he cut his hair short. All of the men of Baitel do it sweetling and all the men of Zepath also. I've never heard of a king cutting the hair of anyone but his own sons before, it is a great honor sweetling, you should thank him. People don't get their names till their hair is first cut... I did not want to name you Og."
That's all I needed to know.

"I am honored, and humbled by your cutting and naming. Thank you."

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

"Jali-... mother. Is Jorah, Pagem or another from Athar going to come get me?"

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

Hug: squeeze tight.

and

"It's okay now, mother. We are safe now."

Poor Jalitha, she kept faith when all was against her.

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

= +
You are not rude, but you are not friendly. You have a lot on your mind. Do as he asks, when you understand anyway.
E: This is basically older brother mode. Enkidel will attend to the boy Danal's needs and respect him now. He will grow up respecting us if we vote to earn it.

Aron, who seems to be the youngest of the outsider men in his mid 20s. Get the inside scoop on real life in Zepath.

The king, Tudiya. Boldness, honor and courage are things we can learn from this king.

OhYo fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 30, 2013

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

No one ever asked us. How presumptuous to ask for clothing. wait for someone to offer it to us. /not-sarcastic

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

Althair posted:

Wait to name the puppy until we've met it.
Yea, really jumping the gun, people. Wait.

My response to Danal: "Dogs seem like play-things for little children. I will see your dogs, but I will to mature to do as men do, not as children. A thing of value cast to dogs is a waste for they will devour it. I will not cast my efforts to dogs, but to men and women, young and old."

Voters, we've gotten an honorable hair-cutting and naming from the king of Zepath and you want to squander away with animal-keeping? There will be a reason we are set apart from the sons of Tudiya: not because we are weak and childlike, because we are meek and mature.

Meekness is the control of power, not the absence of power.

E: new vote, posted.

OhYo fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 1, 2013

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

RandomPauI posted:

My father was teaching me how to read messages from the sea but I didn't learn that much. Will I learn anything like that from you? What else will I learn?
Interesting question, but I'm voting not to ask it. ... yet.

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

Zet posted:

You may be jumping the gun in assuming this puppy/dog won't become some bad-rear end sidekick, tearing at our enemy's torso as we slice their jugular. :p

Callipygian Weasel posted:

OhYo, why do you hate dogs? Why do you hate happiness?

Everyone else: Beaky doesn't make any damned sense for a dog. :colbert:
Happiness is temporary (It's there and then it's gone), joy does not require happiness and is longer-lasting.

From what I know of dogs in human culture, generally they're there as food-scrap clean up and warmth on cold days. It's only recently that people have been more 'cutesy' with them. I have a hard time describing that as a companionship, but it looks like many voters are going for a companionship.

Dogs in Zepath's culture may be just like that. One-notch up from pests. More like bottom feeders and UNCLEAN. If we're meant to be the cultured-savage or beast-boy turned civil, playing with and keeping a dog is the last thing to do while acclimating to a new culture.

We've been given the haircutting/naming from a king. Set an upright path and Enkidel will earn respect from all the land. Set ourselves above his sons, and we will find more favor than any animal could give: the favor of all peoples.

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

To Tudiya: "How are dogs regarded by the people of Zepath?"

To Tudiya: "Who is your son?"

To Danal: "Who else plays with dogs?"

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

Diogines posted:

"He says that men who wish to have them and that they well regarded."
That doesn't sound like dogs are the bottom-feeding, scrap-eating animals I presumed them to be. Sounds more like they could a respectable addition to our venue. I'm in favor of a dog, but only if we name him Gilgamel (Gilgamesh + El)

We had better keep the animal well trained and teach it that giving respect awards respect.

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

Funny options:

Don't - "Don't, get over here. Don't, stop that right now!"
Kitty - "Here kittykittykitty!" *dog appears

I like Indiana, but still going with the Gilgamel. "They named the DOG indiana"

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

Bow your head and pray as Tudiya instructed you to, to El. Give faith in El a sincere chance. No reason to tiptoe into Zepath life. We've gone this far already. I'm going to bank on them till I see otherwise.

Your entire life you have felt as if you did not fit in. Athar was never your home and it's people never accepted you as one of their own. Because never were. You are finally going home. You have finally been rescued. You owe it all to Tudiya. You thank him sincerely. By no means are any Zepites trying to fool us or dissuade us. They've acted quite normal and in-line with what Jalitha has told us our whole life. We owe Tudiya.

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

(E: First and foremost: Pray to El for protection.)
Think this is a terrible idea but take the spear (E: give Danal the spear and go) into the forest to see what you can see. Keep Danal 10 paces BEHIND you.

"Do not lose track of me"
"Watch our back"
"I will signal for you to come to me."

Signal him when we see something.

OhYo fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 4, 2013

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Yeah, going on an adventure right this second is a bad idea, especially if we are being followed like I think we are.
What do you know about El and his angels?

Diogines posted:

As Tudiya instructed you to, you bow your head and thank El for the food you are about to eat and for protection from monsters and beasts.
Updating my vote to pray to El for protection before going into the forest. In fact, Danal can have the spear if he wants.

OhYo fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 4, 2013

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

1. Filled with wonder. I've wanted to do forest stuff since I heard about Pagam.

2. Danal behind Enkidel, a few steps. Take responsibility.

3. Find one of the Sky Giants! Or at least be wary if one is nearby.

Also:
Don't simply listen with your ears. Walk silent, but listen with your heart. Breath slow. Stop every once in a while, close your eyes and meditate in the chaotic peace of the forest. Don't void all your thoughts, just surrender to what your heart can hear.

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

Edit:

Changed vote: Not-J and Not-J

Changed from not-J and I.
Hoping I, F and U win.
Updated my previous post.

OhYo fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 9, 2013

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

Changed vote: Not-J and Not-J

Changed from not-J and I.
Hoping I, F and U win.
Updated my previous post.

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

M.
The Creator gave us cognizance and we would be wasting it if we didn't use it to its potential. We're seemingly not in immanent danger so let's get a birds-eye view to see if we can find smoke from our fire.

Diogines posted:

One of the men is sitting by the fire, asleep. No one else seems to be awake.
Yea, there's a fire going.

I'm okay with not votes. Keep em in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

1. Let him ride on your shoulders because you want to be like an older brother.
2. We're doing something we know we shouldn't be doing, but the wanderlust is strong in us too. Don't forget to pray to El.
3. Aron, who seems to be the youngest of the outsider men in his mid 20s. Get the inside scoop on life in Zepath.