Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«10 »
Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

Destiel shipper.

I did not know what those words meant separately or together, until I found this article about an incident at a Supernatural convention. I like Supernatural, but I do not like this Supernatural.

There are some choice pictures and .gifs in the link below, but I've copied the majority of the article below that.

http://www.dailydot.com/society/jen...natural-fandom/

quote:

"BEING GAY IS NOT OKAY. THANK YOU JENSEN ACKLES FOR BANNING GAY QUESTIONS AT CONVENTIONS," a Supernatural fan wrote on Tumblr in the middle of a fandom-wide meltdown that took place this weekend over Supernatural New JerseyCon.

On Saturday morning, multiple fan reports surfaced alleging that a con organizer had refused certain ship-related questions because Jensen Ackles, who plays the dreamy Dean on the CW's long-running testosterone candy, was "uncomfortable" when faced with the show's enormous contingent of Dean/Castiel shippers. The problem? Dean is a guy, and Castiel is a male angel. Questions about the show's notable homoerotic subtext were first disallowed, then booed by audiences—and notably rebuffed by Ackles, a lead actor on the show.

Shipping defined http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shipping_(fandom)

quote:

Was Ackles suddenly stricken with homophobia? Well, this is fandom, and it's a lot more complicated than that. The shippers are part of the enormous slash fandom that has long fueled Supernatural's popularity, pushed it to eight seasons with no end in sight, and made it part of the trifecta of Tumblr fandoms to rule them all: Superwholock. Supernatural (SPN) has had intense shippers for as long as it's been on air. But none of them can hold a candle to Destiel, the huge Dean/Castiel ship that has swallowed fandom whole ever since Castiel strode into the show's fourth season and raised Dean from perdition and into the annals of slash fandom's megaships.

Oh poo poo, the author has a dog in this fight.

quote:

But after eight seasons, the actors' discomfort with the subject of Destiel seems to be increasing along with the subtextual support for the ship on the show itself. Addressing the ship directly would potentially result in either a denial or an affirmation, either of which would spoil the plot or upset shippers. So while questions about Destiel have long been a part of the actors' environments at conventions, as time goes on it's getting harder to answer.

The question "Is Castiel in love with Dean?" did make it into a Saturday panel because the always fandom-friendly Misha Collins, who plays the angel, doesn't mind handling potentially awkward questions that may only cause pain to shippers. But a question about Dean's sexuality supposedly never made it past a con organizer because those questions made Ackles "uncomfortable." The fan who asked both questions identified herself as "Jen," an 18-year-old. While fandom rejoiced at Misha's straightforward answer, it proceeded to implode over the thought that Jensen might be putting a moratorium on talk of shipping—especially male/male shipping. Some fans went even further:

Perhaps inevitably, this happened:

http://itsjustjensen.tumblr.com/post/49734089915

As the crowd booed the questioner who started to ask about homoerotic subtext, Ackles commented on the fact that it was the very first question of the evening, then told her not to ruin it for everyone, and brushed off the question—which never got fully asked—by saying he was "going to pretend not to know" what she was about to ask.

If SPN fans thought they had it bad on Saturday over the unasked question, the drama on Sunday over the one that went through was overwhelming. After Jensen dismissed the fan, she was supposedly found crying. It was exactly the worst-case scenario for a fandom already tremendously polarized around the subject of Destiel. And it came at a moment when fans were already divided intensely over whether asking questions about the show's rampant gay subtext—this season so far has found the two would-be lovers embracing and telling each other "I need you" at crucial plot moments—would be invasive, or a perfectly understandable response to the show's own pandering to its slash fans.

As fans lashed out in anger at Jensen, the questioners, and each other, the #NJCon hashtag briefly trended worldwide.

Still, not everything was negative.

But the general good vibes at the convention were completely overwhelmed by the emotions Ackles's dismissal stirred up from fans on Tumblr, LiveJournal, Twitter, and beyond.

The creators and the actors of Supernatural are used to these questions. From the beginning the show has had its share of Wincest shippers, fans of the incesty brotherly love of Dean and Sam; more than a few conventions have also seen an intensely devout subset of Jared/Jensen RPF tinhatters, fans of the real-life relationship of Jared Padelecki and Jensen Ackles, who play the brothers on the show. The fan devotion to and enthusiasm for these ships have made Supernatural conventions occasionally uncomfortable places for both actors and fellow fans in the past.

But Destiel is not an entirely fan-created ship. And Supernatural, known for killing off its textually gay characters, is often derided for "queerbaiting"—dabbling in "Ho Yay" only to turn around and declare "No homo." Ackles himself is not immune, and Destiel fans have had plenty of moments like this from DVD commentaries, panels, and extras to encourage their shipping:

http://onamelancholyhill.tumblr.com...o-ask-a-destiel

The wink-wink-nod attitude of the show towards its many slash fans is not only frustrating to fans, but problematic, considering the incredibly long line of shows that utilize queerbaiting in order to build their fanbases, without any intention of ever following through. The lack of acknowledgment that queer romance could be a possibility for prime time's most compelling relationships is a core part of the reason slash fandom exists to begin with; and while fandom has grown decidedly more mainstream since the days of Kirk/Spock, the attitude creators have towards the idea of two male characters falling in love on a show that's already established them as straight has undergone virtually no change at all. It's why, at a core level, so many slash fans still desperately hope and believe that their ship could become canon—most notably, Sterek fans and Destiel fans. Both Teen Wolf and SPN fans can be found frequently talking about their ships as if they are "endgame"—holding out hope that the show's creative team will do the diverse thing and allow their presumably straight characters to be queer and in love.

But as far as Supernatural goes, it seems unlikely. In addition to the show's abysmal track record when it comes to women, the show has also never shown much respect for the enormous female population of shippers who comprise the majority of its fanbase. On episodes where SPN parodies its own fanbase, it portrays it entirely inaccurately as being mostly comprised of male geeks with a few outlying, rabid, and crazy female slash fans in the minority. The show's own attitude of contempt towards the many slash fans in its midst catalyzes the need for slash shippers to have some acknowledgment of the Destiel pairing from the actors and creative team—and encourages the other parts of the fandom to be dismissive and contemptuous of it in their turn.

"Jensen would never support a gay relationship between Dean and Castiel," insisted sunflower-garden-utopia on Saturday. "Dean isn’t gay. Jensen isn’t gay. Normal people are not gay."

Many people are wary of slash shipping, claiming that slashers can exhibit a fetishistic attitude that refuses to acknowledge or celebrate platonic male intimacy or push for more honest queer representation. But at a basic level, Ackles's dismissal of the question of Dean's sexuality—from a girl who claimed to be bisexual, no less—smacked of erasure. Many, many fans from around the fandom declared themselves angry, hurt, and marginalized. Others vilified the behavior of the fans who refused to respect Ackles's boundaries and pushed the awkward questions upon him to begin with. Tumblr user heartensoul, who uploaded the video of the incident, was struck by the crowd's behavior as much as by Jensen's:

When I heard the crowd collectively booing ... I got really uncomfortable with my own response and also theirs. When I heard Jensen’s response, I was stunned into silence and didn’t record, take pics, or really even hear the questions for a bit.

What happened was not okay. Jensen needs a better response. Fandom needs a better response. We need to safeguard against this, either through screening questions or the actor being a bit more adult about it and owning up by saying “that’s not how I intended to play it, but you’re welcome to your interpretation.” These types of questions are not going away; we need to learn how to interact with them like adults. All of us.

As fandom grows more and more mainstream—Tumblr and slash shipping are almost synonymous at this point—it's not just SPN's creative team but any number of shows who need to consider the question of how to deal with questions from slash fans at conventions like this.

Especially if, in the case of Supernatural, the show is only getting slashier over time.

Update: Tumblr user themysterygirlfromnjcon has come forward claiming to be the fan who asked the question, apparently creating a Tumblr account to explain what her full question would have been:

I’ve loved seeing Dean’s character become more comfortable with himself this season. As a bisexual, I’ve noticed some possible subtext, as seen in Everybody Hates Hitler, that Dean might be coming to accept himself as something other than straight too? I know you’ve said you know Dean better than anyone, so, in your professional opinion, as the preeminent scholar on Dean Winchester, if you see that as a valid interpretation of what’s going on with the character this season.

Another Tumblr user, wonderfulwincestxx, also claims to have left the convention early after having a question related to the It Gets Better project rejected before she could ask it.

Ah, to wrap yourself in a cloak of persecution and martyrdom because you want to watch two fictional characters make out & gently caress.

Anyway, this thread is for posting things you're glad you're not.

Bonus horrible underbelly of the internet: http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/destiel%20fan%20art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

They still call it the White House
But that's a temporary condition, too.

Holy hell, that article just kept going. We are the most shameful generation to exist.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

That was indeed an awkward Crazy Internet Person, but the noticeable lack of LGBT characters on prime time television is certainly something to be discussed. I watch loads of TV and can't even think of a single supernatural/fantasy-themed show (aside from True Blood, which is a premium channel) that has gay characters included.

e: Also, Hex had a lesbian as one of the main characters. But that was in Britain.

Gropiemon
Jan 16, 2009

The only reason peasants in 1395 didn't write fan fiction about moon gods raping each other is because they were too busy being sad over their entire families dying from splinters or some poo poo.

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004

I may have to accept that gay people exist in the real world, but i'll be damned if I allow them in my private fantasy world.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

anger issues

SlenderWhore posted:

That was indeed an awkward Crazy Internet Person, but the noticeable lack of LGBT characters on prime time television is certainly something to be discussed. I watch loads of TV and can't even think of a single supernatural/fantasy-themed show (aside from True Blood, which is a premium channel) that has gay characters included.

I'm not sure you fully grasp the true depths of Supernatural "fans" on tumblr.

L5 Death
Oct 6, 2009

SlenderWhore posted:

e: Also, Hex had a lesbian as one of the main characters. But that was in Britain.

Lost Girl, Torchwood.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Want a better avatar? Boom! Better avatar. Don't say you never got nothing.

SlenderWhore posted:

There are plenty of ways to address that that don't involve giving in to crazy people who desperately want the show they like to be rewritten to fit their fantasy, which they consequently have published as a 100-volume gay sex orgy on the internet.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

SlenderWhore posted:

This seems to be a bunch of nerdy straight women liking the idea of the characters getting together because they can to it, not members of the LGBT community trying to increase gay representation in the media.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

MrQwerty posted:

There are plenty of ways to address that that don't involve giving in to people who desperately want the show they like to be rewritten to fit their fantasy, which they consequently have published as a 100-volume gay sex orgy on the internet.

Welllllll that's awful creepy. Who actually has time to do something like that?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

SlenderWhore posted:

An absolute shitload of people

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

That is a lot of words about nerds writing stories about fake people loving.

seriously how the hell is shipping even slightly note worthy?

Feranon
Sep 10, 2011

People were less prepared for a double juggalo presidency than they ever imagined.

drat, supernatural is a fun show too. I really really hate fandoms. Why can't people just enjoy their shows or their animes or their webcomics full of gray people without being completely loving insane? I knew shippers were annoying entitled brats who like to objectify homosexuality and people in general, but really, an 18-year-old, Grown Assed Woman bawling because the actor wouldn't answer her dumb-as-poo poo question? More queer characters in popular media would be groovy but not for the purpose of being two dimensional material for teenage girls.

Brian Moser
Mar 11, 2012

L5 Death posted:

Lost Girl, Torchwood.

Lost girl, no not so much: http://www.fangsforthefantasy.com/2...ndly-as-it.html

Now Torchwood, hell yeah, that got people angry at The Gay in it. I'll give you Torchwood.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011
CARDIOVORAX BELIVES A POLICEMAN WHO GROPES A WOMAN SHOULD LOSE HIS JOB, AND DO A HUNDRED HOURS OF COMUNITY SERVICE UNDER THE PAIN OF GOING TO PRISON IF HE BREAKS HIS PAROLE

SlenderWhore posted:

Two words: Fallout Equestria.

Fishy Joe
Apr 19, 2005
Eat at Fishy Joe's

I've never seen this show but what's so gay about two bros hangin out, solving (mysteries? murders? possessions? I've not seen it). Why do they have to be gay? Aren't angels non sexual anyway?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Fishy Joe posted:

I've never seen this show but what's so gay about two bros hangin out, solving (mysteries? murders? possessions? I've not seen it). Why do they have to be gay? Aren't angels non sexual anyway?

They have to be gay to cater to a bunch of insane teenage and 20something women with severe entitlement complexes' masturbatory fantasies of objectified homosexuality, duhhhh

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

anger issues

Fishy Joe posted:

It's a step-up from the gay incest fan fiction they used to right about this show.

Yeah.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Can death be sleep, when life is but a dream,
And scenes of bliss pass as a phantom by?
The transient pleasures as a vision seem,
And yet we think the greatest pain's to die.

lolbutts

SlenderWhore posted:

Torchwood was full of gay characters. But you're right, gay/lesbian characters and just female characters pretty underrepresented in the media.

I can't believe that crazypants article was complaining that their precious TV shows are "queerbaiting" because they have relationships between two men that involve genuine affection. I guess the only way male friends are allowed to interact is with brospeak and arm-punches, otherwise it means that they're gay.

L5 Death
Oct 6, 2009

Brian Moser posted:

Lost girl, no not so much: http://www.fangsforthefantasy.com/2...ndly-as-it.html

Now Torchwood, hell yeah, that got people angry at The Gay in it. I'll give you Torchwood.

Huh. That's an interesting article, thanks for that. My girlfriend is the true Lost Girl fan, I only watch couple episodes per season and what I have seen made me think the series was pro-homo but looks like it's more no-homo.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

Darth Freddy posted:

That is a lot of words about nerds writing stories about fake people loving.

seriously how the hell is shipping even slightly note worthy?

There was that one story about Snape getting a blowjob from the sorting hat that was kind of erotic.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

On the plus side I feel like this phenomenon has given me a taste of how creepy the men who constantly and loudly yearn for female friends on TV shows to kiss each other seem to women.

WaffleLove
Aug 15, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Two words: Fallout Equestria.

I googled this. Cause I like fallout. But lmao, I wasn't prepared for this.

MorgaineDax
Nov 29, 2004

Oh, I may be on the side of the angels... but don't think for one second that I am one of them.

Everytime fandom somehow comes into contact with real life, it is always the loving creepiest thing in the world.

420DD Butts
Jul 26, 2008

TheBuilder posted:

There was that one story about Snape getting a blowjob from the sorting hat that was kind of erotic.

This is the most amazing thing I have ever heard in my life.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

And once again, the internet has made me dumber by teaching me something new.

Shippers and shipping, in my brain, used to mean people that facilitate, and the action of parcel delivery.

Now it has an additional definition of "A polarized community of adults emotionally invested in the potential sexual relationship between a fictional man and a fictional male angel in a b-rate scripted network drama."

In a kind world, my brain would never have had to add the second definition.

Lumberjack Bonanza
Feb 27, 2011

I'LL CUT THAT POST TO PIECES!

I understand when someone thinks "I'd really like to see those two gently caress," but some people take it so much further. They morph it into this massive web of conspiracy with the intent to prove that the writers have been subtly hinting that two characters are in love. It's like fandom Infowars.

I totally understand Ackles being uncomfortable with those questions. It's probably not even the idea of a gay relationship between a character he plays and a character that his colleague plays, it's this obsession that the shippers have. The sheer amount of effort and emotion they have invested into fake sex between two fake people is disturbing as hell. Having all of that directed at him must be like an ant being burnt with a magnifying glass.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Ask me about getting into Goonwaffe early or not taking too long to answer your emails!

TheBuilder posted:

Mother of god.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Torka posted:

This seems to be a bunch of nerdy straight women liking the idea of the characters getting together because they can to it, not members of the LGBT community trying to increase gay representation in the media.

Pretty much this. It's like how there are people who want better representation of lesbian characters (so they have characterisation, they're not stereotypes or put on a pedestal), and then there are people who want lesbians "cus they're hawt, brah" and justify it by pretending to be the former. Same poo poo happens with gay characters. It's ironically pretty counterproductive for the LGBT community when more people are written to be same-sex for superficial reasons.

AGirlWonder
Oct 24, 2010

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

Torchwood was full of gay characters. But you're right, gay/lesbian characters and just female characters pretty underrepresented in the media.

I can't believe that crazypants article was complaining that their precious TV shows are "queerbaiting" because they have relationships between two men that involve genuine affection. I guess the only way male friends are allowed to interact is with brospeak and arm-punches, otherwise it means that they're gay.

They might have a point if there's homosexual subtext in characters' relationships that is just used to get ratings or whatever, then dropped. The article notes that Supernatural has killed off a few textually gay characters. This might be a real problem, I don't know.

But seriously, Supernatural fans get really horrible. I don't know what Ackles's motivation is for shutting down the questions, but I would definitely be uncomfortable with the same ones every convention.

EDIT: ^Basically what Lumberjack has to say.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

This is the fandom that had fan art of the main character having his dick shoved into a meat grinder. As well as harassing one of the actor's wives, After that I don't think anything can shock me.

TheSwami
Sep 25, 2004

hello old friend

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I totally understand Ackles being uncomfortable with those questions. It's probably not even the idea of a gay relationship between a character he plays and a character that his colleague plays, it's this obsession that the shippers have. The sheer amount of effort and emotion they have invested into fake sex between two fake people is disturbing as hell. Having all of that directed at you must make him feel like an ant being burnt with a magnifying glass.

Yeah, I'd imagine at some point he just starts resenting the fact that his fans really only give a poo poo about the show in terms of "HEY ARE YOU GUYS SECRETLY GAY FOR EACHOTHER, PLEASE SUPPORT MY MASTURBATORY FANTASIES" and nothing else. I'd be tempted to start trolling them as well after the 82nd weekend fielding questions about loving my brother on a low-rated network drama.

Toriori
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

The only purpose tumblr serves to me is to update some dumb drawings once in a blue moon and to look at pictures of sushi to psyche me up before sushi lunch sometimes.

John Big Booty
Jan 31, 2008
Living in the 8th Dimension, things get rough.

vyst posted:

Mother of god.
Yopu think that's bad?

quote:

"Snape" said Dipsy "Tinky Winky have no crotch mouth, but a very strange tongue. It's filled with purple wrinkled skin!"

"Oh Dispy, he don't have crotch mouth. But behind him, you will find a pork's eye. Don't be afraid, it's dirty, but after a while you will like the fine flavor of melted chocolate covering your lips."

Dipsy turned Tinky Winky, and the purple Telletubbie revealed his deep purple anal hole.

If ye value not your sanity

junopsis
Dec 28, 2008

The people saying it's mostly straight girls on Tumblr--yeah, it's mostly girls on Tumblr, but it's also an odd range of lesbian/somewhere-in-the-middle girls, as well. I sell handicrafts and sometimes sell them at anime conventions (pretty necklaces, yay) and buttons; the culture there is fascinating. Especially with people who cosplay; they may more or less identify as straight or lesbian, but for the purposes of things within their fandom, that seems to be very vague and fluid, and I think it's an extension of a more general fluidity of relationship interests.
I think some of that's a side effect of how a lot of fans are still trying to work out the idea that relationships are for getting laid vs. wanting emotional closeness for its own sake. (I'm sure I would get burned for suggesting that there; on Tumblr there's a lot of people who want to call themselves 'asexual' for the somewhat tragic reason that they aren't interested in having sex with someone they aren't very involved with, i.e., acting like their peers. Social pressures suck and result in weird things.) There's a lot of culture stuff developing on its own over on Tumblr.

That said the fandom-actor clashing is both sad and hilarious to me. C'mon, fans, be nice.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Thank god modern fandoms exist to make Trekkies seem innocuous and harmless.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Some one needs to do a study on these people. I have to wonder how many were you normal every day average person whose only sex fantasy would be maybe a little biteing before they were exposed to the internet. Who started it? Did some one honestly see these people and want them to gently caress? Is it some cruel joke that has some how turned into a monster?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008
I like bread

The OP at first got me confused as all gently caress because of the use of the word "ship". Why the gently caress is it even called shipping?

MonkeyBot
Mar 11, 2005

OMG ITZ MONKEYBOT

Pochoclo posted:

The OP at first got me confused as all gently caress because of the use of the word "ship". Why the gently caress is it even called shipping?

Because the word relationship is super hard to spell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumberjack Bonanza
Feb 27, 2011

I'LL CUT THAT POST TO PIECES!

TheSwami posted:

Yeah, I'd imagine at some point he just starts resenting the fact that his fans really only give a poo poo about the show in terms of "HEY ARE YOU GUYS SECRETLY GAY FOR EACHOTHER, PLEASE SUPPORT MY MASTURBATORY FANTASIES" and nothing else. I'd be tempted to start trolling them as well after the 82nd weekend fielding questions about loving my brother on a low-rated network drama.

I've seen a relatively small amount of the show, but from what I'm told they mock the poo poo out of Sam/Dean pairings with all kinds of meta jokes. I don't know if it's weakened or strengthened that in the fandom, though. The worst part about that kind of meta joke is the people they target often don't get it, only aware that they were referenced and totally missing the ridicule.

Darth Freddy posted:

Some one needs to do a study on these people. I have to wonder how many were you normal every day average person whose only sex fantasy would be maybe a little biteing before they were exposed to the internet. Who started it? Did some one honestly see these people and want them to gently caress? Is it some cruel joke that has some how turned into a monster?

I'm convinced a lot of it is indeed a joke, or perhaps some attempt at absurdist art. I refuse to believe someone wrote Snape/Teletubby fanfiction and had no self-awareness of how insane that idea is.

«10 »