Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Welsper posted:

The Phoenix has the highest skill floor of the faction specific launchers. It's only as good as the player that's wielding it, something that should be remembered when opinions are given.

I would put money down that I am a much higher skilled player than you in this online first person shooter.

The Phoenix has its place but that place is far too restrictive compared to the other ESL's and that is a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Durendal posted:

Even if it sucks for those of us who paid full price for these, this change is for the best as it gives newbies far more options when starting out. That and the AA lock ons should have been 250 the entire drat time.

I agree completely. Kind of sucks for us who already spent certs/money on those things at full price, but giving newbies/casual players a way to actually damage Liberators is a positive for everyone.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

edit: I totally misread something, ignore.

Space Camp fuckup fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 22, 2013

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

LuiCypher posted:

I'd actually say the Phoenix is a fair shake worse as a solo weapon, worse than all of the ESL options, since despite its alpha its reload time and subsequent time to hit is so long that a single engineer can repair all of the damage dealt in between rockets. As a group weapon, the Phoenix is basically a 300m no-vehicle zone.

Not as good as an 800m no-vehicle zone (that the Lancer provides), but you can still hit stupid peasant wagons that hide behind rocks in that 300m radius, so that's not so bad.

I like the Phoenix as a solo weapon because it allows you to take out threats you might not be able to with a regular launcher, but it's very situational still. As a group launcher, it's weak simply because of the range issue and because a big group of guys standing around loving around with their RC rockets is one infiltrator or HE lightning away from a whole bunch of pain. If you need to kill a Sundy behind a rock, a group can do that, but you can't really set up the massive vehicle killzones the other factions can with a Phoenix.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Certed up to Level 3 shield, ate 3 C4s and kept on truckin'. I'm glad it's still a flat damage absorb, and I'm doubly glad it's still able to go up while reloading. That latter part is really the linchpin in the shield's usefulness, and tower brawls will never be the same again. :getin:

FunkyFlashman
May 10, 2013
I was under the impression the refunds happened only because there was money from customers
involved.

FunkyFlashman fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 22, 2013

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

They moved the Crown spawn room, but left the pain field at the old location. :downsbravo:

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Isilkor posted:

They moved the Crown spawn room, but left the pain field at the old location. :downsbravo:

I swear, the crown spawn is the most buggy spawn room in the game. There's ALWAYS a problem with it come a patch.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
So how are servers, stability, and bugs? Anything major? Should I stop playing until the weekend for bug fixes?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Artificer posted:

So how are servers, stability, and bugs? Anything major? Should I stop playing until the weekend for bug fixes?

I dunno, I've tried to login about 10 times and haven't been able to. Sits at the character select screen.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Fuzz posted:

I dunno, I've tried to login about 10 times and haven't been able to. Sits at the character select screen.

That answers that, I suppose. I'll see all you fuckers in 4 days or so.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BadLlama posted:

I would put money down that I am a much higher skilled player than you in this online first person shooter.

Perhaps you could help me understand why being able to negate cover and inflict damage without retaliation isn't worth taking advantage of?

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
How's the lattice working out on Indar? I always hated how directionless PS2 is after you cap something.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

Does SOE even know what the gently caress they're doing

No, full stop. SOE pretty obviously doesn't have any real idea of what they're trying to do with balance at this point. We're six months in and still getting weapons undergoing fundamental changes (the Saron going from 'anti-tank sniper rifle' to 'gently caress it, laser machine gun'), obvious basic imbalances in key matchups (the Reaver's mythical 'falls faster' bonus versus the Mosquito' 'do everything a fighter cares about better'), and weapons that remain completely out of whack (Skyguard, battle rifles). We're getting anti-armor weapons that are best used against infantry, 'lesser' effects like lockdown only making TR bursters 30% better, and balance passes that manage to severely hurt an entire faction while doing basically nothing about the actual problem they were trying to target (shotguns).

I'm still having fun, mind you, but it's pretty obvious that SOE is throwing poo poo against the wall pretty wildly and doesn't grasp some pretty basic aspects of their own game. Lockdown affecting bursters alone should be able to tell you that.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Welsper posted:

Perhaps you could help me understand why being able to negate cover and inflict damage without retaliation isn't worth taking advantage of?

Oh, quit being disingenuous Welsper. A 300 range missile is going to be more limited in scope than an 800 meter railgun or 800(?) meter radar guided missile launcher. Yes, there's a niche for it, but it's pretty limited by range, and there really aren't that many bases where it's a big factor. Not compared to lancing vehicles at adjacent bases from render range, or completely denying enemy air.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Welsper posted:

The Phoenix doesn't negate cover, it makes it so you can hit things behind cover to a degree depending on angle, distance and size of the cover. There is still plenty of cover to position your vehicle to avoid getting hit by a Phoenix. It does take a higher skill cap to avoid damage from a Phoenix than a Lancer or Striker so I understand you may have a problem with getting hit by them.

So yes hitting things behind cover is the Phoenix thing but that is far less beneficial than what the other ESL offer. As VS/TR you simple have to squad deploy/beacon and C4/mine that sunderer but NC are stuck using crap lock on launchers for long range AV duty.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 22, 2013

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Vatek posted:

How's the lattice working out on Indar? I always hated how directionless PS2 is after you cap something.

It's pure loving FPS sex. Big fights everywhere. Defenders can still hop around like mad but attackers only have certain paths so the defenders can get in their way.

Also hoooly poo poo the new Saron. :flashfap: The new PPA is great and I highly recommend it if you're infantry farming, but there's even a chance you might run into a vehicle, even a few flashes, slap the Saron on your tank and get a gunner. That thing is a beast, it's easily more terrifying than Beta Saron.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BadLlama posted:

The Phoenix doesn't negate cover, it makes it so you can hit things behind cover to a degree depending on angle, distance and size of the cover. There is still plenty of cover to position your vehicle to avoid getting hit by a Phoenix. It does take a higher skill cap to avoid damage from a Phoenix than a Lancer or Striker so I understand you may have a problem with getting hit by them.

So being able to restrict enemy movements isn't useful?

This also doesn't address why you feel being able to deal damage without placing yourself in danger isn't something to be utilised.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Welsper posted:

This also doesn't address why you feel being able to deal damage without placing yourself in danger isn't something to be utilised.

The same reason why TR think the highest damage AV weapon with a 1km chase and phase missiles that pass through terrain is bad: The grass is always greener.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Welsper posted:

VS/TR can restrict enemy movement at 800/500m respectively. Well before the vehicle drivers even render the infantry. Those people are not in danger by the technical aspects of this game in any way to the vehicles they are hitting. An NC player, on the other hand, is always going to be in danger when firing the Phoenix unless they are sitting in the Spawn Room firing out of the shielded rooms, but that is an unimaginative use of the Phoenix so no one should use it that way, right?

I have never said the Phoenix should not be utilized to hit targets behind cover, in fact, that is the thing I have said is the only reason to use a Phoenix. Any other target in any other setting and you are better off using any of the other launchers. You cannot say the same for the other ESLs. The argument is that the Phoenix is too situational of a launcher. What it does it does well but what it does does not impact the game as much as a striker or lancer.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 22, 2013

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Sivlan posted:

This guys KDR baffles me.

I mean I know that vehicle whoring and running away at the slightest issue is a good way to keep a positive KDR, so I wouldn't be very surprised at see something like 10 or 15 kills per death, but this guy: 43.13 KDR. His stats show him using a Mossie all the time, but I really wish the sites did a vehicle loadout breakdown because I'd like to know what he's using on it. My only guess is that he's running ejection seat and just bails and redeploys every time he gets in trouble.

He is a dedicated air-autisto and only picks one-sided fights (i.e. rocket-podding straggling infantry / farming biolab pads / etc.). If you're wondering why he has so much time as light assault it's because he'll jump out of his Mosquito and log off if it he takes lots of damage. He's a good pilot but a total gimmick player.

Io_ fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 22, 2013

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

quote:

Generators can no longer be overloaded without having proper territory adjacency

Has there been any crying yet by the PvG'ers?

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Vatek posted:

From what I've played so far, pretty drat well!
Battles seem much more focused and the front lines are shifting in predictable manners, not forcing you to redeploy every other minute to defend against 3 enemies in an adjacent hex and there's actually proper defense action and pushing forwards / backwards going on now.

I haven't dared trying to fly an ESF with the changes yet, and double so in TR territory, because I think you're going to be pretty much worm food or accomplish nothing at all because you'll be forced to bail out of enemy territory as soon as you approach them now unless you're TR, but I wasn't much of a dedicated ESF pilot before anyway, so v:shobon:v

Driving armor should be a lot more fun now though, from what I've seen so far.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Phoenix isn't about being a better version of another launcher, it's about options.

You've come across it there with your observation about the Lancer and Striker. They're both improvements on already existing functionality, with both more or less being improvements on the various lock-on launchers.

The Phoenix brings new capability to the table, it gives the NC heavy an option for hard to avoid damage against mobile targets like Magriders, or the option to fire from cover against deployed Prowlers, or a vector of attack against covered Sunderers. The regular array of ranged lock-on launchers is still there for distance targets, and the dumb-fire launchers for close quarters. The NC heavy has an unparalleled breadth of action.

I'm just very puzzled why someone wouldn't want to press a unique advantage like that as much as possible.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Alkydere posted:

It's pure loving FPS sex. Big fights everywhere. Defenders can still hop around like mad but attackers only have certain paths so the defenders can get in their way.

Also hoooly poo poo the new Saron. :flashfap: The new PPA is great and I highly recommend it if you're infantry farming, but there's even a chance you might run into a vehicle, even a few flashes, slap the Saron on your tank and get a gunner. That thing is a beast, it's easily more terrifying than Beta Saron.

I am so in love with the new saron. I ended up locking the magrider so I can park it somewhere and use it myself. :allears:

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
I don't remember fights like this since the first month of release. Bring on lattice everything!

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

^^ Also I am excited for Lattice tonight, going to be great.

Welsper posted:

I'm just very puzzled why someone wouldn't want to press a unique advantage like that as much as possible.

I just don't think that the unique advantage of the Phoenix is worth the disadvantage it has given to the NC as a whole. As Xae said, the grass is always greener.

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet
NC just lost the Indar alert on Matt. because they couldn't be bothered to hold onto scarred mesa. :smith:

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I think %90 of the vanu on matherson are in a ZOE max right now and the other %10 are waiting for cooldown. It is a good day to be an engineer.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
This update is soooooooo loving slow. 124mb in about 10 minutes. WANT TO PLAYYYY

BuhamutZeo
Jun 1, 2011

Welsper posted:

No other faction can say this, that's why it's a big deal.

We're also blue. No other faction can say that and that means it's a pretty big deal too....right?

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Leal posted:

Has there been any crying yet by the PvG'ers?
Yes, they are already crying: although most of the responses from other forumites seem to be variations of "learn to play".

While I am loving the latex (unlike various people on Command Channel on Miller) and the other Indar map changes, the frequent disconnections are getting annoying. Anyone else experiencing them?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Welsper posted:

The NC heavy has an unparalleled breadth of action.

You can only pull one rocket launcher at a time, and the Striker and Lancer fill 'General AV' and 'Light AA' very well (Striker is 'Great AA') whereas the Phoenix is 'Strong AV in a 300M band at best', meaning you have to buy a second launcher to fill at least one missing role.

You say the Phoenix allows you to attack without fear of reprisal. Well, check this out:

1) 1v1 Heavy vs Tank. The tank is injured by other means and runs behind a rock.

So the Heavy runs to range of the rock (without a quick range-finder, mind) and fires, hitting the tank. If he kills it, great! If not, the engineer will heal the damage before the next rocket comes. Nothing but time wasted. If there are two engineers, the tank will repair and come after the heavy, since 300M is pretty close to a tank that is aware of you.

A Striker would have lost lock as it went behind the rock, but may have been able to fire from further away, and would have hit. If he got the lock as it hid, most of the salvo would still hit.
A Lancer would have lightly plinked the tank comparatively. Probably the loser in this case.

1a) Enemies in the area plus the above

The heavy runs in range of the rock. If there is anyone else around, he shoots the heavy who is standing still. The phoenix goes impotent and faceplants.

The Striker and Lancer are shooting from further away, and can move to dodge a bit.

2) LAG

The Phoenix fires and smashes into the ground before camera control is given. It doesn't even have to be very much lag, or even a noticeable amount. :argh:
The heavy reloads and fires high to compensate. The weak course correction means he can't hit anything unless he's super lucky (or can accurately predict lag).

The Striker's Lock works through lag, and the Lancer's clientside hit detect ignores it.

3) Shoot a max at medium range

Phoenix: Dumbfire a snapshot: likely goes impotent and drops short.
Guided: Strong chance of being shot down by friendlies who are shooting at the max, or TR maxes might do it accidentally. Still hard to hit a very small target.

Lancer: Shoot him in his face to make him see the light
Striker: (I don't know how strikers hit maxes)

4) Air

Phoenix: GOOD LUCK
Striker: Easymode out to 800M
Lancer: Some practice and it works

5) Gang of users

Phoenix: ~5 kills all ground out to 300M. Very good for this if you are tightly coordinated and close proximity to each other. Useless vs Air. Vulnerable since you're blind and stationary and noisy and shooting glowing blue things.
Striker: Air exclusion zone, ESFs flare or die. Vehicles in trouble. No coordination really needed due to long range and locking (at least vs Air, ground will need some focus fire or heavy weight of fire)
Lancer: :pcgaming:

---------

THAT SAID, it is a great fun weapon, BUT it is not on the same effective level as the others.

E: VVV That's the trick. VVV

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 23, 2013

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.
I think the Phoenix is really great at what it does; It fills a niche that no other faction has access to, and I wouldn't want to trade that it, but in the grand scheme of things, the Striker in particular just seems like a much bigger boost to a faction. Really the big issue is that you have to pull out a Phoenix, Hawk, or dumbfire / Annihilator specifically for whatever purpose you need at the time, while every single TR HA just runs around with a Striker all the time, enabling a group of them (without any particular coordination, just by them happening to have a lot of random HAs in a given area) to do incredibly effective AT and AA denial at any given time.

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School
Of all the loving times for my PC to die :negative:

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone
I tested out dual pounders with level 5 lockdown, I like it. Seems to do a decent job of killing armor and infantry! :hellyeah:

Fractures as you can imagine melt armor. :regd08:

I wish the Striker was dumbfire. To many times I point it at a ESF or Armor and nothing happens and even worse was SOE's dumb decision to remove the ability to lock on turrets. The Lancer is where its at!

KennyLoggins fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 23, 2013

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The Lattice has been pretty good to me so far.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Fractures with Lockdown are loving bullshit. Good lord.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Giggily posted:

The Lattice has been pretty good to me so far.

Nerf Scattermax please.

Are bio-labs as ridiculous as predicted?

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Fun bug with the Aegis Shield for the NC MAX: when you disable it, you can melee immediately. Doing this makes it so you can't shoot or reload your weapons until you activate and deactivate the shield again. My assumption is whatever toggle the game is waiting for to say "shields are down, let them do stuff" isn't toggled if you interrupt with a melee attack. No idea if this means you still deflect damage or not after meleeing.

• Locked thread