Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
I love love love the prologue. You'd think the very first thing they teach you in Archaeology 101 is never, EVER put mysterious, ancient medallions in their recesses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

They seem to have a pretty relaxed atmosphere on that ship. The junior officers were pretty chatty, and the senior ones were pretty open and forthcoming as well.

Outside of a few soldiers, it's basically a science peace-time fleet. As that one guy said, Ignorance is bliss.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Is it just me, or is the second video not properly synced? The group reacts to the ambush at the very start a few seconds before the video actually shows it.

ScurvyKip
May 15, 2009

Look Rubedo, I'm free!

Xander77 posted:

Is it just me, or is the second video not properly synced? The group reacts to the ambush at the very start a few seconds before the video actually shows it.

Nah, we just had to rerecord is all. Guess we jumped the gun a bit.

Anyway, Episode 3 is on the way. I should have it up by the end of the day today, if not sooner.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

ScurvyKip posted:

Nah, we just had to rerecord is all.
This is the result of attempting to stream a video from dropbox when your internet craps out. It wasn't me.

ScurvyKip
May 15, 2009

Look Rubedo, I'm free!
I finished the uploads sooner than expected, so have an update!

Xenosaga Part 3: I hope you like cutscenes

(Click here for video)
No Commentary Over Cutscenes

ScurvyKip fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 26, 2013

Deaf Mute
Sep 6, 2010

Liking the LP so far. If my play time in this game was anything to go off of, this LP is going to take forever.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

ScurvyKip posted:

I finished the uploads sooner than expected, so have an update!

Xenosaga Part 3: I hope you like cutscenes

(Click here for video)

You're echoing ScurvyKip, it's pretty noticeable during the introduction put it persist through the video.
I only played a bit more that this so it'll be interesting to see how the game progresses once you've got the intro parts over with.

ScurvyKip
May 15, 2009

Look Rubedo, I'm free!

Hel posted:

You're echoing ScurvyKip, it's pretty noticeable during the introduction put it persist through the video.
I only played a bit more that this so it'll be interesting to see how the game progresses once you've got the intro parts over with.

I'm still new to audio editing so I'm doing what I can to reduce the echo. I'll be trying a new pair of headphones next time so hopefully that will help a bit.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I've seen enough LP's to know what battle stances are supposed to look like. Shion is not in a battle stance, she's just leisurely swaying. Oddly mesmerizing, though.

Ha ha ha wow, you seriously can only take a few steps between cutscenes. Allen shouldn't worry about asking Shion out. Like in most militaries, it's probably a violation of regs for two officers in the same division to date. Plus, I'm not sure she knows he exists.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
Keep in mind Shion and Allen aren't military, they're employees for a major military subcontractor, Vector Industries. Punchy guy specifically complains about civillians being let onto military ships.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
Military regulation also has no problem with Lt. X Punchman constantly beating up the technicians.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

In case anyone cares, the ~~~mysterious device ~~~ is inscribed with the Hebrew "א". Pronounced "Aleph", it doesn't carry quite the same connotations at the Greek "Alpha", but the two are often used interchangeably in fiction.

Will there be a final device inscribed with a "ת" at the end of the game? I kinda doubt it - "Tet" doesn't quite have the same publicity as "Omega".

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Xander77 posted:

In case anyone cares, the ~~~mysterious device ~~~ is inscribed with the Hebrew "א". Pronounced "Aleph", it doesn't carry quite the same connotations at the Greek "Alpha", but the two are often used interchangeably in fiction.

Will there be a final device inscribed with a "ת" at the end of the game? I kinda doubt it - "Tet" doesn't quite have the same publicity as "Omega".

It's "Taph", not "Tet". "Tet" is "ט".

ScurvyKip
May 15, 2009

Look Rubedo, I'm free!
Here guys, have another update. It's an exploration update, so there's not too much here but we meet a new minor character, a few odd NPCs, and we answer lots of email.

Xenosaga Part 4: That image is a pretty good summary of the game

(Click here for video)

Went and added a new character to the biography section as well.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Ugh, I somehow forgot how long it takes for the game to actually let you play and I beat this game like 3 times somehow. It really makes FF-13 an adrenaline rush in comparison.

ScurvyKip
May 15, 2009

Look Rubedo, I'm free!
Oh I forgot to ask, any issues with echo in this update?

Also things start happening in the next update, I promise.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

ScurvyKip posted:

Oh I forgot to ask, any issues with echo in this update?

Also things start happening in the next update, I promise.

So far, I don't hear any echo in the update. So I think that problem is remedied.

Also, I think anyone that has heard of Xenosaga already knows that it drowns in technobabble until the cows come home.

Tathris
Mar 26, 2010

I've barely heard of Xenosaga before, and I have no idea how these games managed to pass me by, they seem to be right up my alley.
It seems like they're not available on any platform I've got access to, so I'll be following this LP closely.

And I didn't notice any echoing this time, so it should be fine.

ScurvyKip
May 15, 2009

Look Rubedo, I'm free!
Just a small update for you guys, I'm having a bit of trouble getting schedules to mesh but I should have an update by the end of this week.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I was just testing out my lovely new ability to use the search function and what did I find? This!

Can't describe how happy you've made me ScurvyKip.

I am an unashamed fanboy of these games. I played Episode 1 right on the heels of completing my first ever JRPG (FFVII) and I have loved Episode 1 to death ever since. It is easily my favorite in the series, although of course Episode III has some advantages.

i guess I would say...
Episode 1: I think the English dub was the best in this game. not so noticable now since we've met like four important characters and a bunch of nobodies but later on there will be so much goodness. I also liked combat most in this game as it was too slow in the next gme and too fast in the game after that. Also has my favorite art style. Well, maybe it's more the character designs. Some of the outfits in the late games are just...well, we'll get to it when we get to it. Also I like Shion.

Episode 2: Just gonna not talk about this one.

Episode 3: Seems to be a lot of people's favorite on here, if Zutaten's LP is anything to go by. Has some definite perks, like Yuki Kajiura's soundtrack, dungeons and environments, and the fact it was the last game in the series so you had the "everything is being answered" bonus. Also the dub is by no means bad in this game - I just prefer 1's.

So yeah, I love the plot, I love the characters, I love the music. Overall I'd say I prefer Xenogears for a variety of reasons but Saga still does a few things better than Gears. (namely characters don't just vanish into a Plot Void nearly as often)

Now to talk about the LP itself.

1. How many of your group has played this game/he series? I believe it was Unpronounceable who sounded like he knew what was going on? I just really like the dynamic of one group knows about everything and the other is experiencing stuff for the first time.

2. I found AGWs positively useless in this game except for maybe one fight. Are you really gonna be using them a lot? If so that will give me a whole new way of seeing the game played.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying you guys and I'm glad someone who enjoys the series is LP'ing it. I mean there are plenty of parts to rip on it but as long as you're actually having fun ya know. As much as I love Episode 1 it sure takes a long time to get rolling.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

NikkolasKing posted:

1. How many of your group has played this game/he series? I believe it was Unpronounceable who sounded like he knew what was going on? I just really like the dynamic of one group knows about everything and the other is experiencing stuff for the first time.

Dazzling Addar Anime knew absolutely nothing going into it, KasaiAisu I think saw the tutorial dungeon before, but not much more, and I've played the game up until the beginning of the first dungeon where Ziggy and MOMO meet up with Shion et al. It was a long time ago, though, so a lot of the details are fuzzy. So, I might somewhat know what's going on at the start, but just give it time.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

That's pretty cool. You are all in for a very long and very anime ride then. I hope you come out of it having enjoyed what you saw. I know I'll be enjoying hearing all your reactions to the crazy poo poo to come.

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Ask me about zoning laws in videogames
Where is my :patriot: smiley but for anime. It would be so fitting right now.

I always wanted to play Xenosaga but never got around to it because I heard the second episode wasn't very good, and I didn't want to get invested just to go through that. So I'm really glad Scurvy's doing this!

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

KasaiAisu posted:

Where is my :patriot: smiley but for anime. It would be so fitting right now.

I always wanted to play Xenosaga but never got around to it because I heard the second episode wasn't very good, and I didn't want to get invested just to go through that. So I'm really glad Scurvy's doing this!

It's :japan:. Anyway I rented one of these games a long time ago (it must have been the first one, the stuff we've seen so far seemed pretty familiar) but I don't remember all that much about it, and I stopped playing it before too long anyway. I just don't have the attention span to play huge, slow-paced games like this. Looking forward to the rest of the insanity.

ScurvyKip
May 15, 2009

Look Rubedo, I'm free!

NikkolasKing posted:

2. I found AGWs positively useless in this game except for maybe one fight. Are you really gonna be using them a lot? If so that will give me a whole new way of seeing the game played.

I'm gonna do my best to have the AGWS used to the best of their abilities.

Also thanks for the kind words everyone. Commentary for the next episode is still in limbo, but it'll be worth it. Things will finally start to get rolling after this plodding start.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

AGWS can actually be really powerful, if I remember right, but they grow out of date fast unless you sink quite a bit of money into them.

On the other hand, GIANT ROBOT :black101: :hellyeah: :black101:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Likewise here --- the game is beatable w/o using them except when the tutorial forces you to.
(Like that simulator in hangar you didn't use because you didn't want to wear out AGWS? It's beatable on foot)

TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011
I used to like this game, but I just can't play it anymore; it's just too slow. So thank you for this playthrough, and here's hoping you make it all the way to 3, aka the good one.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ScurvyKip posted:

See I've never played Xenogears, so please feel free to point this stuff out. I know a few of the references, for example the Uzuki surname being shared between Shion and Citan.

The uniforms the Vector personnel are wearing (excluding Shion's unique outfit 'cuz she's boss lady) is clearly modeled on the uniform of the military of the Sky Nazis in Xenogears.

Creepy crosses swinging around in the void is a very bad thing in Xenogears. Although I think this one was just kinda twirling.

the pro-wrestler with the X-Face who snuck on the ship and started abusing those poor techies is such a blatant reference that he might as well be a clone. Becomes even more obvious later.

...and I think that's everything so far.

I might have to buy a new copy of EP1 just to play along with you. I really miss this game and I still can't figure out how I lost my last copy.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 2, 2013

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Well, I am going to add my thanks too .:bandwagon:

I have heard of these games over the years and people were very polarized. Either they fell from God's rear end in a top hat, or they were Satan's revenge on the world, if you don't mind the religious metaphors. Now, thanks to you intrepid cuber-adventurers, I can make up my own mind. :cheers:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Oh my Deus, A new Xenosaga LP. YESSSSSS.:unsmigghh:

Seriously, there's a lot to love in these games, as well as a lot to hate, and a lot to mock endlessly. So, it's a really a great game for this kind of thread...provided that you who are playing it don't lose your minds.

As opinions go, I'm kind of with NikkolasKing on the overall quality. I enjoyed them. But, I find them hard to honestly recommend to anyone who hasn't built up a healthy immunity to anime/JRPG bullshit.

Shion has her ups and downs, though the initial idea of her character type, the "plucky science hero" works really well. KOS-MOS rules, if for fairly shallow reasons at first (involving awesome murderbot action), but also when they start really start delving into her -- something that, to this series' credit, is done gradually but satisfyingly as things progress.

While the music is implemented into the game pretty poorly, I highly recommend the Xenosaga I soundtrack as something to just kick back and enjoy listening to. Yasunori Mitsuda armed with an entire philharmonic orchestra is formidable indeed.

ScurvyKip
May 15, 2009

Look Rubedo, I'm free!
It's been a bit of a wait, but have another update.

Xenosaga Part 5: We read some more email, oh and other things happen too.

(Click here for video)

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

The ominous dude Cherenkov was talking to on the monitor is, if nothing else, a deeply entertaining performance by Michael McConnohie.

Meanwhile, Shion and her brother don't get along because she played Xenogears and knows who he's supposed to be a rehash of. :v:

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Captain Moryama and his moustache are two of the chillest, most laid back characters in the game. I imagine serving under him is pretty awesome. I bet the Woglinde bridge crew has weekly pizza parties.

Also I can never get enough of that loving space whale Gnosis. I love that thing.

Zutaten fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 3, 2013

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah I like Shion's battle sway too. An man, those Gnosis really left an impression on me when I was a kid. Seeing that dude just shatter like that was my first "...gently caress." video game experience.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

So out of 5 or 6 warships with a dozen AWGS units and hundreds of realions, they didn't bother having at least a few robots that can...let them hit the ghost things? I mean, it's a Vector squad. You'd think they could lend a few directly.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I bet Mr. X can easily take out all these Gnosis. And make them feel bad at the same time, too.

Deaf Mute
Sep 6, 2010

Tae posted:

So out of 5 or 6 warships with a dozen AWGS units and hundreds of realions, they didn't bother having at least a few robots that can...let them hit the ghost things? I mean, it's a Vector squad. You'd think they could lend a few directly.

This is actually why KOS-MOS is important, she is a device that can pull Gnosis into reality and make them susceptible to normal weaponry. This will be shown off relatively soon in the LP.

You guys are paying so much more attention to the in game Emails then I ever did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Deaf Mute posted:

This is actually why KOS-MOS is important, she is a device that can pull Gnosis into reality and make them susceptible to normal weaponry. This will be shown off relatively soon in the LP.

You guys are paying so much more attention to the in game Emails then I ever did.

Well I know that, but big operations usually have back-up plans.

• Locked thread