Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So. Cap'n Matthews and company (save for chaos) are completely loving irrelevant to the plot. This does not prevent them from being loving awesome.

Also, it merits repeating: CAUTION, I AM A BOOZER. BANZAI! BANZAI! :black101:

Edit: Also, I'm getting some godawful screeching audio error at around 3:40, and I don't think it's my computer.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Cap'n Matthews and his crew helped keep me in this game longer than I would've stayed otherwise. I loving love them and the Elsa. Just a crew of 'space recyclers' and their space-boat trying to pay their space-debts getting dragged into crazy space-drama. They're a lot of fun.

ScurvyKip
May 15, 2009

Look Rubedo, I'm free!

Spiritus Nox posted:

So. Cap'n Matthews and company (save for chaos) are completely loving irrelevant to the plot. This does not prevent them from being loving awesome.

Also, it merits repeating: CAUTION, I AM A BOOZER. BANZAI! BANZAI! :black101:

Edit: Also, I'm getting some godawful screeching audio error at around 3:40, and I don't think it's my computer.

Ok, I dont know what happened there. I'll have to redo this audio so bear with me. I don't know how I missed that.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, some more thoughts now that I've finished the video.

chaos and Wilhelm will both be rather important later on, which is why it's a shame their voice actors aren't currently very good. They get new ones in the next game and their performances are much improved for it.

I really, really like Ziggurat 8. You'll see why as we go on. His sneaking mission intro is pretty nice too, as RPG stealth sections go.

My god, I'd forgotten how cartoonishly evil Margulis' introduction is. "See that planet? See all those people who just got disappeared? gently caress 'em. You got a problem with that? gently caress you too. Hey, little girl? gently caress you, and by the way I'm bringing someone from off the station just to give you a very special gently caress you." Margulis is a ton of fun, though he really doesn't come into his own until the next game (you'll be hearing variants on that pretty often :v:).

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Spiritus Nox posted:

chaos and Wilhelm will both be rather important later on, which is why it's a shame their voice actors aren't currently very good. They get new ones in the next game and their performances are much improved for it.

You take that right back, XE1 chaos is the nicest, chillest motherfucker ever and his voice is perfect.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

SSNeoman posted:

You take that right back, XE1 chaos is the nicest, chillest motherfucker ever and his voice is perfect.

He's not terrible, but sometimes he just sounds :downs: because he's pushing the 'permanently chill' angle too hard.

ScurvyKip
May 15, 2009

Look Rubedo, I'm free!
Alright, lets try this again. Audio issues are fixed this time around.

Part 8: The Best Hat

(Click here for video)

Errata:

Thanks to Mazed for this one. I mistakenly call the Elsa Von Brabant the Elsa Von Braun.

ScurvyKip fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 17, 2013

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

My god, I'd forgotten how cartoonishly evil Margulis' introduction is. "See that planet? See all those people who just got disappeared? gently caress 'em. You got a problem with that? gently caress you too. Hey, little girl? gently caress you, and by the way I'm bringing someone from off the station just to give you a very special gently caress you." Margulis is a ton of fun, though he really doesn't come into his own until the next game (you'll be hearing variants on that pretty often :v:).

I'm conflicted about Margulis. On the one hand, he's near absolute as a villain. Nothing matters more than his objective. No loss of life is too great to make his goals not worth it, to him. He'd sooner see the world, so to speak, burn before he'll give up.

On the other, I know how his character arc turns out.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Out of all the outfits from the trilogy, I never ever understood short shorts over spandex for a guy.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

It's better than MOMO's minidress. :gonk:

Spiritus Nox posted:

Right? Say what you will about these games, but some of the VAs were very clearly enjoying themselves.

Oh,

Guys, it's not Elsa Von Braun. It's Elsa Von Brabant. Like every other ship, it's a reference to a Wagner opera. Not System Shock.
:goonsay:

Mazed fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jun 17, 2013

ScurvyKip
May 15, 2009

Look Rubedo, I'm free!

Mazed posted:

Guys, it's not Elsa Von Braun. It's Elsa Von Brabant. Like every other ship, it's a reference to a Wagner opera. Not System Shock.
:goonsay:

Thanks for the correction! I guess I still have the System Shock 2 LP on my brain. Go watch that if you guys haven't. It's way better than this. :v:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
I completely forgot about the captain's amazing hat.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012
The reason KOS-MOS was able to talk to them was by resonating the glass with her hands.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Schubalts posted:

I completely forgot about the captain's amazing hat.

I can buy that hat somewhere right?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Tae posted:

Out of all the outfits from the trilogy, I never ever understood short shorts over spandex for a guy.

Fixed that for you.

Also, Shion has some serious priorities issues; "adrift" in an escape pod, and she's more worried about the murderdroid that should have a tracking device in her head if anyone on that project was doing their job right. Also, why can she open the drat escape pod in hard vacuum? Shouldn't there be some kind of safeguard against that?

Edit: Is that hat intentional, or was it slipped in by the only guy on the design team who spoke English?

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 17, 2013

ScurvyKip
May 15, 2009

Look Rubedo, I'm free!
I decided to add more stuff to the bios with notes from myself, Dazz, Kasai, and Unpronounceable. Check that poo poo out!

Kuvo posted:

I can buy that hat somewhere right?

If only... if only.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
You can buy a knockoff shirt. From Cafepress.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Well I'm glad to return from my vacation to a whole slew of updates. At this rate the whole Trilogy won't take that long at all. Although of course I'd more than understand if you wanted to take time off before Episode II....

So Mazed is covering music so my thing I think will be voice-actor chat.

Dazzling Anime, shame on you. There ain't no Yuri Lowenthal in this game. He won't be around for two whole games yet.

I kinda missed Wilhelm's Episode 1 voice actor. It's Richard Cansino who you might recognize as Kenshin HImura or Legato Bluesummers. YOu don't hear him in much but I like him. Episode 1 chaos I can take it or leave it.

One voice actor change I want to address is Pellegri. Ya know, Margulis' lady friend who actually has a conscience? A lot of the VAs in this game went uncredited but it's easy enough to tell who most of them are if you watch anime or play other JRPGS. All sites I can find say Kari Wahlgren voiced Pellegri in all three games. Kari Wahlgren voiced Ashe in Final Fantasy XII and she has a very distinct voice. THat's why I knew her immediately in Episode 2. This lady in Episode 1 though? Sounds absolutely nothing like her. And so I say Wikipedia and every other website is wrong and I'm still wondering who actually voiced the lady in this game.

A permanent voice change I really did miss was SHerry Lynn as MOMO. The replacement was better by EP3 but Ms. Lynn has a really good girly girl voice. Some people I know say it sounds way too much like a grown women doing a little girl voice but MOMO is such a hyper magic girl anime cliche that kind of voice really fits her.

With that out of the way, I think space nerd Shion was handled well. She really isn't bitchy at all in this game. She's kind of...impotently assertive. She really doesn't go off on people who don't deserve it. She has plenty of trauma to deal with and I don't think she was badly characterized. I believe at parts we are supposed to look at Shion and go "what the gently caress is wrong with her?"

For example, there was a Japanese only thing released with Episode 1 called Xenosaga Episode 1 Design Materials. Parts of it have been translated and one of those parts was characterr profiles. The relevant passage on Shion's character:

quote:

Enneagram Type

According to Enneagram personality classification, Shion is classified in her ehavior aspect with a type-7 characteristic (talent-rich, impulsive, extreme, high-spirited{?}).

In a healthy state, type-7s show interest in everything around them; they are active, and they can yield spectacular results.

However, within relationships to others, it is the case that this kind of personality goes too far, endlessly searching for new stimulus. Shion is of this type of condition. The more they act and the more they search, the more they become unable to be satisfied. In very serious times, they are convinced
that they have been "robbed", and even become as if greedily wanting everything.

At an unhealthy state such as this, they become self-centered, and in order to satisfy their own desires, they may even make violent demands from others.

Apparently this Enneagram stuff is a real thing. I've always maintained that the developers of Xenogears and Xenosaga at least did a lot of research before they made their games. Whether or not they used it well is another matter but at least they made the effort.

Finally, was that Kuvo in one of the episodes? Has he actually played this game? I remember very distinctly in a previous LP (maybe FFX2) he and Topikal had a very brief argument about Xenogears. I remember this because Topikal actually claimed to like the game. I would have never pegged one of the T40s crew for a fan of any game even vaguely like Xenogears. Maybe it was the nostalgia.

MUMMYMTN
May 22, 2003
"We've given our cyborg a clean bill of mental health. On an unrelated note, he's been trying to kill himself for the past one hundred goddamned years."

I guess in the distant future all sciences not somehow related to robots or spaceships have gotten a little rusty.

ScurvyKip
May 15, 2009

Look Rubedo, I'm free!

MUMMYMTN posted:

"We've given our cyborg a clean bill of mental health. On an unrelated note, he's been trying to kill himself for the past one hundred goddamned years."

I guess in the distant future all sciences not somehow related to robots or spaceships have gotten a little rusty.

I think you misunderstood. He killed himself prior to becoming a cyborg, and hasn't done any self-harm since.

VVV You know, you would think that it would be easier to just turn living people into cyborgs instead of reanimating them but what do I know about future space business?

ScurvyKip fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 18, 2013

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational

MUMMYMTN posted:

Well no wonder they think psychiatry is bullshit, the doctor can't diagnose someone that's basically saying "yeah, my goal in life is to be legally dead."

/\/\/\ Even better, he didn't just say it, he succeeded once before and was brought back.

MUMMYMTN
May 22, 2003
I got the impression that he still wants to die, but his programming won't allow him to do anything about it other than take suicide missions or politely ask his employers to throw away his brain.

ScurvyKip
May 15, 2009

Look Rubedo, I'm free!
I really like his character arc, unfortunately most of it is in a mobile game that was only released in Japan, I'll cover it when the time comes.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

MUMMYMTN posted:

I got the impression that he still wants to die, but his programming won't allow him to do anything about it other than take suicide missions or politely ask his employers to throw away his brain.

Given they outright stated, very clearly, that he had countermeasures in place to keep him from being able to harm himself, that's a safe impression to get.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

bathroomrage posted:

Given they outright stated, very clearly, that he had countermeasures in place to keep him from being able to harm himself, that's a safe impression to get.

He was SO sure that diving into a sun without any protection would've killed him but nope, somehow he succeeded.

MUMMYMTN
May 22, 2003

ScurvyKip posted:

I really like his character arc, unfortunately most of it is in a mobile game that was only released in Japan, I'll cover it when the time comes.

Yeah, I only vaguely remember the backstory from Zutaten's old LP, but I do remember Ziggurat 8 being one of my favorite characters.

bathroomrage posted:

Sorry if you felt I was stating the obvious. I was defending my dumb joke by saying that just because he hadn't done any self-harm since his death doesn't mean he wasn't still suicidal.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ScurvyKip posted:

Pied PIper was really good and I'm glad that Xenosaga has such a dedicated fanbase that it was translated online. A lot of stuff in Episode III makes a lot more sense if you understand what Ziggurat 8 was up to back then.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I was just about to ask if anything interesting ever happens in the game... and suddenly it has. Hope that keeps up.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tae posted:

He was SO sure that diving into a sun without any protection would've killed him but nope, somehow he succeeded.

"Okay, I'm gonna infiltrate this compound with just a small fruit knife and while wearing not a stitch of body armor. Surely one of them will manage to kill me this ti-oh god dammit, I efficiently murdered them all. Again. drat YOU, KILLING SKILLS!" :argh:

Helmet 10 Warehouse
Jul 21, 2007

Captain Matthews' hat, I think I've seen it somewhere before...

ScurvyKip
May 15, 2009

Look Rubedo, I'm free!

Helmet 10 Warehouse posted:

Captain Matthews' hat, I think I've seen it somewhere before...

Alright, LP's over. There's no way anything can be better than this masterpiece.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Turns out they were never emulating the Zohar.

This is a quest to find the Matthews' Hat Emulators.

NikkolasKing posted:

Apparently this Enneagram stuff is a real thing. I've always maintained that the developers of Xenogears and Xenosaga at least did a lot of research before they made their games. Whether or not they used it well is another matter but at least they made the effort.

Oh yeah, that's for drat sure. All the references you see to certain religions and psychological theories are actually pretty accurate. While Xeno games can sometimes look like they're just throwing symbolism around because they can, at least the general idea behind some of it holds up pretty well.

I had no idea about the enneagram stuff either. If you've got more of this, it would be cool to hear what the rest of the characters have got going on, as we get to them.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jun 19, 2013

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
Wait, Yuri Lowenthal isn't in this game?

I've made a terrible, if understandable, error. Normally I'm so good at identifying those voices, too!

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Dazzling Addar posted:

Wait, Yuri Lowenthal isn't in this game?

I've made a terrible, if understandable, error. Normally I'm so good at identifying those voices, too!

I'm pretty sure Allen is voiced by David Wittenberg (Welkin in Valkyria Chronicles, Teddie in Persona 4), unless my anime voice recognition skills fail me.

e: He is also apparently the narrator for I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant. Fun!

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jun 19, 2013

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mazed posted:

I had no idea about the enneagram stuff either. If you've got more of this, it would be cool to hear what the rest of the characters have got going on, as we get to them.

Sure thing.

Allen

quote:

*Enneagram Type

According to Enneagram personality classification, Allen is categorized as a
Type-6 (devoted, loyal, passive-aggressive, indecisive).

The motivations behind the behavior of this type are the desire to be liked by people, and the desire to be recognized by the people that like them. Allen's longing towards Shion certainly coincides with this.

In a healthy state, a type-6 will have a charming personality. Approving of himself, and having faith in himself and others, it becomes an interdependent existence that allows for compatibility with both independence and cooperation,and one that respects equality. Being friendly, he draws out an emotional response from those around him, and is devoted and faithful towards companions who have a sense of unity, such as family or a lover. Moreover, his sense of
responsibility is strong, and he may become a very trustworthy person.

However, is it difficult to say that Allen is one of these healthy types. This is because stress from not being able to receive the wanted recognition from
companions, namely Shion, is holding him back. Due to this, Allen is in an unhealthy state, and many cases can be seen where manifestations of his personality tend to lean toward unfavorable circumstances.

An insecure heart, strong co-dependence, inferiority complex, extreme anxiety, over-reaction to anxiety, taking thoughtless actions, self-destructiveness, sadistic. A type-6 personality seeks an authority who will guide him, an existence that will help to allow a heart like his to calm. Whether that be a person, an organization, or an ideology.

As for the tendency in infancy that can be seen in this type, what is observed is an experience that captures oneself as positively integrated with the father
or a father-figure {iffy}. He gained safety and stability by being recognized by the father, and he remembered anxiety at parting with it. Growing up, as the world that he sees spreads out, the authority figure increases to a father-like thing that is not an individual father.

After graduation from Borromeo University, Allen entered into Vector Industires. Although it seems he is from a wealthy family, he doesn't really like to touch the subject. It is considered that Allen has the thought that, having been completely subject to his father's influence, he doesn't want to
show that part of himself to Shion who wishes [him?] to be newly subordinate. That can be called the agony of the slave who must serve his own will to try to change his master.

Virgil

quote:

According to the Enneagram personality classification, Virgil is classified as
a type 8 (Courageous / Confident in himself / Coercive / Confrontational).

He commands his subordinates, and in order to act on the front lines, he, who is in the position of First Lieutenant in which leadership is sought, exerts aggressiveness and controlling power. When the Woglinde was attacked by the Gnosis, the action he took of making the combat Realians self-destruct was a use of absolute controlling power that is typical of a type 8.

At this time, because the 100 series Realians had not been deployed on the
Woglinde and KOS-MOS could not startup, the Hilbert Effect could not be used. Even though he did not have a single effective method of attacking the Gnosis, Virgil did not despair and thought of a way to fight and win. This can be explained by the extremely strong confrontational thoughts that type 8s have. They are proactive, developmental (?), and belligerent. They do not avoid battle, they change the environment around them with their own power by winning battles and try to obtain a desirable future.

However, his leadership often displays his unhealthiness. He is dictatorial and violent. Because of that, his battle for the survivors becomes very individualistic and advances self-righteously.

Ziggurat 8

quote:

Enneagram type

According to the Enneagram personality classification, Ziggy is classified as a type 9 (calm / makes other people relax / passive / careless) that has characteristics in its relations with people. From Ziggy's speech and conduct, it is possible to read characteristics of an extremely unhealthy type 9. Declining to confront conflicts and problems, he tries to defend himself from feelings of guilt and anxiety. Because of this, he takes on a stubborn and careless attitude and refuses to make a change toward solving problems. He inests all of his energy into this refusal, which is a defense.

If he were healthy, he would be composed and calm, autonomous, and he would have a conspicuous steadiness and peace of heart; he would be a person that has a rich receptiveness and would patiently provide support to others.

However, Ziggy has averted his eyes from the pain of his past and is only living for the purpose of refusing pain. In situations when the pressure from reality is extremely powerful, this type 9 tries to erase the subjective self in order to stop contact with reality. When people who are type 9 reach the most unhealthy state, they show a style of life that is like an automaton.
They do not show emotions or reactions to anything and they act only with the automatic functions of the body.For example, even if your body received a great wound, you would try to protect yourself by ignoring that reality. Ironically, the desre of Ziggy in his cyborg form to rem surviving organic brain, in other words memory information, and become a complete robot as recompensation for rescuing MOMO is nothing other than an action that artificially takes the unhealthy type 9 condition to its extremes. That is trying to protect oneself by severing one's union with reality and losing oneself.
\

Even the villains have them!

Pellegri

quote:

According to Enneagram personality analysis, Pellegri exhibits a Type 6
personality type (devotion, faithfulness, passive-aggression, indecisiveness).
When placed under authority, Type 6's will become obedient to that authority, even if they show defiance on the surface. This kind of behavior was demonstrated in her behavior with Margulis, in regards to the disappearance of planet Ariadne. Therefore, for the sake of one's purposes, the spirit can be unable to harbor heartlessness, and yet still move steadily in pursuit of a goal despite it. So because of these opposites - stability and instability - carried in the spirit, she frequently displays such surface behavior like averting her eyes away. This produces an ambivalent attitude, of both opposition, and blind obedience towards authority.

Her words that time were a reaction following/to a dangerous circumstance. She can feel relieved on the surface, because of her loyalty. In this circumstance, her passive-aggressive nature was displayed in response to her opposition. Because the people have important significance, her opposition in this circumstance seemed opposite of her objectives.

Because the general personality of a Type 6, is extremely inconsistent with way they act towards their surroundings, they are a very enigmatic type of person. They also have a very charming side, and are popular people, with a great power of attraction.

For the sake of understanding this type, the only way to determine which of the two opposing sides is which, is by the application of ideas. While she is excelent at feeling for strangers, she also feels very distant from them. Ather present place, her activity has not had a large influence on the front stage of history. However, her influence is growing as the likelihood of chaos can no longer be denied.

Margulis and MOMO and a few others we've met have entries too but they contain spoilers.

A bit of self-trivia is that I'm totaly Allen. I took an Enneagram test and I'm definitely a Type 6. The guide doesn't go into specifics like if you are a Social, Sexual or Self-Preservation Variant but I think Allen is a Self-pres, just like me.

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational

NikkolasKing posted:

A bit of self-trivia is that I'm totaly Allen. I took an Enneagram test and I'm definitely a Type 6. The guide doesn't go into specifics like if you are a Social, Sexual or Self-Preservation Variant but I think Allen is a Self-pres, just like me.

That surprises me. He's been more stressed about Shion always almost dying/ignoring him and he picked up a rifle and fought on the Woglinde. I had the feeling that he was putting himself in more danger than he needed to, mainly to be with Shion.

E: Surprises me that Allen would tend towards self preservation, didn't mean you

mmj fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 19, 2013

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I like how none of these characters exhibit the healthy forms of their assessed personalities. I assume a major part of the series will be them shifting to more positive behavior patterns?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

mmj posted:

That surprises me. He's been more stressed about Shion always almost dying/ignoring him and he picked up a rifle and fought on the Woglinde. I had the feeling that he was putting himself in more danger than he needed to, mainly to be with Shion.

E: Surprises me that Allen would tend towards self preservation, didn't mean you

It's Self-Preservation as it relates to their personality and needs, not the typical use of the term. Here's a little link I just found on Google that more or less gets the point across I hope:
http://www.enneagramcentral.com/Enneagram/Subtypes/Subtype%20Six%20Self%20Preservation.htm

And here's a whole site on the Enneagram system if anyone is interested.
http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/typesix.asp#.UcIPbXYWX14

Keeshhound posted:

I like how none of these characters exhibit the healthy forms of their assessed personalities. I assume a major part of the series will be them shifting to more positive behavior patterns?

Well Virgil is dead but you're on the right track about everyone else.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

NikkolasKing posted:

Well Virgil is dead but you're on the right track about everyone else.

Dammit, why'd you have to remind me!? :cry:

Good night, sweet prince; and packs of wendigos carry thee to a feast of brains. :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Only a few of the characters had the same voice for all three games. Matthews, Allen, Margulis, and Ziggurat are the only four I can mention now, but there are I think three others who were always voiced by the same person, but we haven't met them yet, so I won't mention them.

The majority of characters were voiced by the same person in two out of three games, and there's a select few who always changed their voice between games.

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jun 20, 2013

• Locked thread