Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Hello Xenosaga, my old nemesis. We meet again.

This series is still incredibly good, despite the fact that it can be bewilderingly convoluted some (most) of the time. And the first game is still the most solid in the series. I actually still really like this one.

I'll be tagging along for the ride, that's for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Captain Moryama and his moustache are two of the chillest, most laid back characters in the game. I imagine serving under him is pretty awesome. I bet the Woglinde bridge crew has weekly pizza parties.

Also I can never get enough of that loving space whale Gnosis. I love that thing.

Zutaten fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 3, 2013

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

ScurvyKip posted:

I'm really enjoying all the speculation going on here, it really reminds me of when I first played, trying to piece things together as I went along.

I've played all three games a few times each and I'm STILL trying to piece things together :v:

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Mazed posted:

Having finished these games a long while ago and having fuzzy memories about how it all went, I'm watching this LP trying to pay particular attention to something: Allen's view of Shion. He's easy to pass off as the inconsequential comic relief guy, being her somewhat spineless, generic "nice guy" admirer who isn't even an active player character. However, his perspective and relationship to her is supposed to be fairly important in her overall story, and to the way that the player might be intended to view her as well.

Allen is, and will always be, the true hero of this story.

All joking aside, though, and without spoiling anything, Allen's the audience surrogate character and I love him for it. He starts to get fed up with all this crazy poo poo at around the same time we as the player do, and throughout it all remains so stalwartly, steadfastly ordinary it's refreshing amidst all this ever-escalating space drama.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

ScurvyKip posted:

Part 10: Does Ziggy sound like a puppy's name?

Yes. Yes it does, MOMO.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Man, Scurvy, you used the best possible still for that update image.

NikkolasKing posted:

Also hey there Zutaten, it's good to have you back. Be awesome if you're available for guest commentary for the rest of the series.

Also Zutaten you kinda highlighted a decent-sized plot hole and I'm not sure if you did it intentionally. "Cathedral Ship" being known already, as in being listed in KOS-MOS' databanks, doesn't make any sense, considering where it came from.

I'll be showing up every now and again if ScurvyKip will have me.

edit: Regarding your spoiler, you raise a good point. Cathedral Ship has only been around for however long in plot-time the game has been going, give or take a few weeks. Huh.

Zutaten fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jul 29, 2013

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

It's my gift to him. My extremely boring gift. Seriously, besides Star Wind there was next to nothing to talk about in that video.

...I should have just made a bunch of Shrek references during the ogre fight.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Yeah, let's be honest here, part of the reason why this dungeon was likely making him extra miserable is he didn't take along the particular Pokemon crew member that was strong against all the enemies. Take chaos with you and at least the battles don't also have to be an interminable slog toward hell.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

YourAverageJoe posted:

Also, Ziggy totally looks like Virgil, just saying.

Nah, I mean i guess they're both blonde, but Ziggy's modeled after David Bowie (Specifically his Thin White Duke era. They have the same hair.) while Virgil has a more Rutger Hauer Blade Runner look to him.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

I still like Episode 1, sort of. More than a lot of other JRPGs at least. It's just sort of middle-of-the-road. When Scurvy hits Episode 2, however, then I'll have some words to be said. Negative words.

...I loving hate that game, and LPing it years ago nearly killed my interest in playing video games in general.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

SSNeoman posted:

That's actually part of the problem with the sequels. None of the other villains in the series had as much presence as Albedo. Well that and the story took its references to Religion/Psychology/Mythology/etc... too far.

Albedo is Albedo, and he is constantly in a class of his own, but I would argue that other villains have some pretty good hammy bad guy moments later on. They just get outclassed.

edit: Forgot about the spoiler policy. My bad.

Zutaten fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 13, 2013

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Samizdata posted:

Man, these dungeons SO fail my Patented Pizza Test Of Dungeon Design Clarity.

Using the Pizza Test, you imagine the dungeon end boss ordering a pizza. Now, how possible would it be for the end boss to get to the dungeon beginning to accept delivery before said pizza petrifies?

It's a bit of a joke, but the imagery seems to drive home to people the fact that so many dungeons in games are laden with crap which is purely designed to stretch game hours, not because it makes sense.

Oh THIS is why many JRPG dungeons have an originally locked off shortcut elevator or back passage located behind the boss room leading back to the entrance; for pizza delivery!

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Welcome back, man. This is one of my favourite bosses in the series and I goddamn cannot tell you why.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

I'm amazed you stuck with it. You're a better man than I am. Congratulations!

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Oh... Oh it's Freaks. I didn't think you'd do this one. I think a few Xenosaga III database entries reference this thing, but even I haven't played it. I actually don't hate the art style, either.

It really bears repeating, over and over, this is canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

ScurvyKip posted:

It's finally time! Time to post the first part of this thing! I know it took a while to get going but it should proceed slightly smoother now.

Part 1: Prologue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27IlB5hqtpQ

Pick your preference here. No difference between the YouTube video and the Tindeck links besides credits in the video description.

Hey that was really good! Looking forward to this.

• Locked thread