Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Khanstant posted:

Wow, how old is this game? This first cut scene looks pretty good, I've seen much worse in more modern games. These people's movements look pretty natural. I'm impressed.

Came out in Feb of 2002.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

You might as well throw an update whenever you can. People aren't suddenly going to stop because they can't catch up or something.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

They seem to have a pretty relaxed atmosphere on that ship. The junior officers were pretty chatty, and the senior ones were pretty open and forthcoming as well.

Outside of a few soldiers, it's basically a science peace-time fleet. As that one guy said, Ignorance is bliss.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Ugh, I somehow forgot how long it takes for the game to actually let you play and I beat this game like 3 times somehow. It really makes FF-13 an adrenaline rush in comparison.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

So out of 5 or 6 warships with a dozen AWGS units and hundreds of realions, they didn't bother having at least a few robots that can...let them hit the ghost things? I mean, it's a Vector squad. You'd think they could lend a few directly.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Deaf Mute posted:

This is actually why KOS-MOS is important, she is a device that can pull Gnosis into reality and make them susceptible to normal weaponry. This will be shown off relatively soon in the LP.

You guys are paying so much more attention to the in game Emails then I ever did.

Well I know that, but big operations usually have back-up plans.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Shion should've died like 5 times and I'm not counting the Gnosis once.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

bathroomrage posted:

Well, what I caught from it is that KOS-MOS's Hilbert Radio Thingy is what makes them vulnerable to conventional weapons, but I guess significant amounts of mass can slow them down?

It kinda looked like they had to activate their ability to pass through walls, and they seem pretty stupid and animalistic, so walls and such are a deterrent! Doesn't explain why the combat-trained veterans and the replicants realians programmed to fight these things wouldn't immediately try to get KOS-MOS up and working, or at least use some kind of energy weapons system, but hey, anime.

And I guess energy weapons work because they were using laser cannons to fight the giant whale, so... V:v:V

There's a lot of plot-dumb reasons why the gameplay completely fucks over Gnosis lore but some of your other questions are explained:

-Kos-Mos's Hilbert Effect is very, very special because of its humongous range. The 1000 series can maybe pinpoint a specific area, not the entire battlefield at once.

-None of the army knew about Kos-Mos, as evidenced by one of the higher ranking officers, Virgil, confused about her even existing. Only the select tech crew and captain/vice-captains directly related to the project knew about her.

-There's a very good reason why no one is rushing to activate and are scared of Kos-Mos reactivating, especially on her own.

I just wish the gameplay remotely matched up with the actual story.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Helmet 10 Warehouse posted:

Did the game ever tell us anything about the incident that is making all the Vector employees piss their pants at KOS-MOS starting up, or did everyone just sign up for the same Spines 4 Gold program as Allen?

The game later tells what happened that rightfully got Shion scared when Kos-Mos was booting up (Almost everyone else on the team just heard stories).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

YourAverageJoe posted:

I think a bigger question than "why isn't Shion running?" is "why didn't KOS-MOS go full Hilbert as soon as she got out of the stasis pod?"

Her priority is rescuing Shion. Once she located her, she immediately went Hilbert. She does not give a gently caress about anything else until her mission is completed.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I think the idea would be less of an rear end in a top hat move if they didn't spend like 20 minutes shooting at things literally invulnerable to everything, and one that phased through a wall to kill one of his soldiers.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Keeshhound posted:

I played to about this point before giving up in disgust over how aggressively ~*~Anime~*~ it is, and because I am a huge :spergin: I read as much of the codex (or whatever they call it) as I could. I think it's just that the artificial nervous tissue is a potent narcotic. So he could also eat their spinal columns, but he'd need a hammer for that.

Edit: Now why he couldn't just buy that poo poo straight from the manufacturers? :shrug:

When Virgil ate the brains, he wasn't in a position to go to a store. He mentioned Miltia, which is a huge plot word for all 3 games.

Tae fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jun 10, 2013

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Keeshhound posted:

I meant afterwards, assuming he's been feeding his habit. Unless one shitstorm's worth of time is enough to get him those scars (apparently a marker for addiction), which I suppose is possible given how little JRPG writers tend to know about chemistry.

Miltia was a really, really big shitstorm.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Keeshhound posted:

My point was that it would need to be a long shitstorm, where he'd need to indulge regularly to develop significant scarring (unless I'm just flat-out misattributing those, but I could have sworn they were supposed to be a sign of long-term addiction) on his face, unless this is going full scale Fantasy Drug, and even eating ONE Realian brain is enough to gently caress up your face.

Miltia is a long and terrible mess. Putting all of our world's greatest tragedies and atrocities combined wouldn't come close compare to what happened on Miltia, let's say that.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Monkey Fracas posted:

Is there ever a stated reason why they built KOS-MOS to look like some long-haired magic anime girl instead of, y'know, a Terminator? Maybe they wouldn't be so surprised if their killer death-bot looked like a gleaming metal skeleton.

That was what she looked like in the flashback aka her original form.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Keeshhound posted:

Pretty sure they could have accomplished that goal by making her eyes some other color than red.

Even that poo poo gets explained. I'm not kidding.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Out of all the outfits from the trilogy, I never ever understood short shorts over spandex for a guy.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

bathroomrage posted:

Given they outright stated, very clearly, that he had countermeasures in place to keep him from being able to harm himself, that's a safe impression to get.

He was SO sure that diving into a sun without any protection would've killed him but nope, somehow he succeeded.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I'm more in favor of you showing off the boss's attacks, then edit out the remainder for short battles so you could fill in more cutscenes of the game for each update.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

If you put what you did in game 1 on an outline, you don't really do much poo poo. But constant backtracking and the cutscenes pad that poo poo out to about 50 hours. Think about that.

We're not even a tenth of the way through the game and it actually gets more cutscene-heavy later in the game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I've played the trilogy and I don't remember poo poo about any mutants. I'm sure we don't have any mutant party members, either or even see one. So Allen is racist against imaginary things.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I am always amused by Ziggy's victory pose which is taking out his elbow knife, then slowly raise it to his face to retract it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

"We're screwed if we hit the column walls!

*proceeds to hit the column walls 6 times in 2 minutes*

These cutscenes need some serious trimming.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Not that I disagree, but I've always wondered about the giant, slowly spinning...thing.

I see that in a lot of space fiction, it seems to be a way to keep gravity in tact or something?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

10 hours, Kip? I'm sure there's like 10 hours of cutscenes between now and the third game at least, let alone the boss fights.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Every time I've watched the backstory cutscenes (oh god, why did I replay this so much :gonk: ), I always ask "What are you doing, woman?! Stop pissing off the psycho murderer that beat 6 levels of lobotomy!"

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The wife had a holo-tablet of a clone program before she started pissing off the psycho murderer.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I'm sure Kos-Mos is the strongest party member since she was designed to fight Gnosis and that's mostly what the party's been fighting so far.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

cdyoung posted:

The MWS projects a kinetic field to physically protect Shion. Just saying, it's the reason she's still running around in normal clothes then anything remotely protective... like... what no one else is also wearing, except chaos. (he's wearing an EVA suit.)

EVA suit? Looks more like he got fashion tips from Claire Redfield back in RE2.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I logged in 80 hours because the card game is mad addictive.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I think a lot of people praise Xenogear for being incredibly ambitious for a 1998 game when the only other game touching on going the same deep rabbit hole of insane was MGS.

No one says Xenosaga had a good story, everyone hates 2, Kos-Mos is cool except in crossovers.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Who in the Xenosaga cast could be described as obnoxious?

Shion, Allen, Hammer

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

It's just weird that they put it in the mouth of the one guy who's been doing everything it is possible to do to avoid death.

Ziggy originally wanted to die. His whole introduction back in XS1 was to take on impossible missions so he can die and loophole around his programming, his self-preservation is only very recent after meeting MOMO.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

This loving game was multi-disk. gently caress. How, why.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

There's no goddamn excuse for why any of the Xenosaga games are multi-disk. Final Fantasy 10 was one disk and that came out 3 years before II.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

There are side-quests in RPGs that are longer and more involved than XSII's plot.

A single mission in Dragon Age Inquisition probably has a longer plot than this game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The models are garbage considering how far it was into the PS2 era, with an engine they already had experience with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Her legs are short because she's short. She's like 5'4.

• Locked thread