Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I'm firmly of the opinion that the first game is the only one worth playing. I liked it, but I never finished it. If anyone wants to play these games, start with the first one and then consider whether you wanna keep going. And make sure to play with an FAQ open, because gently caress's sake some of the missable poo poo is insidiously well-hidden.

I really like the first game's character designs.

Yeah I said it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah I like Shion's battle sway too. An man, those Gnosis really left an impression on me when I was a kid. Seeing that dude just shatter like that was my first "...gently caress." video game experience.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Some people get sentenced to having the same rights as a Realian when they commit a crime. Apparently that's considered a fairly harsh punishment.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Spiritus Nox posted:

chaos and Wilhelm will both be rather important later on, which is why it's a shame their voice actors aren't currently very good. They get new ones in the next game and their performances are much improved for it.

You take that right back, XE1 chaos is the nicest, chillest motherfucker ever and his voice is perfect.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The problem with Margulis (and really, this whole section in general) is that the game didn't give you enough time to get used to the battle system. Or any other mechanics for that matter. I mean all of this would have been much easier if you could slot in Cyber Kick. Complicating matters are your limited resources, like your items (with which the game is admittedly generous with) and money (with which the game is not).

Honestly, now that I think about it, most of the bosses are kind of a dick punch in one way or another.

I cannot stop pronouncing "cherry brandy" the way that white-haired guy does :allears:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Monkey Fracas posted:

Man, that Chaos weirdo has the worst design.

"Oh okay tiny Space Daisy Dukes over black leggings? And he has, like, this tiny plume of spiked up Anime Hair? Well sure I think that looks great!"

I hate to continue the joke, but there's an explanation for that too. Except for that plume of white hair. That's just a typical anime thing.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Monkey Fracas posted:

I think I could play this game from the beginning and catch up to where you guys are now in a matter of hours by skipping cutscenes- is it worth it?

I honestly like this game, so I'm gonna say yes. If for no other reason than to see the White-haired dude eventually do his thing. Use an FAQ though. For the love of god use an FAQ.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

This game's problem is that in order to "get it" you need to have knowledge of a staggering number of topics. These include science, religion, philosophy, politics and history.
You would also be willing to rummage around the in-game glossary to find out what each made up term actually means.

That being said, the RPG mechanics in this game are actually pretty good. The game even provides an almost on-demand EXP multiplier. Your Ether, passive abilities and special attacks are divided into their own sections, each of which has their own set of points. You can get some truly beastly characters if you diligently find every accessory you possibly can. With some clever mechanic abuse (hint: Do all your grinding when your party is split up) none of the points are an issue.
Did I mention you can mix and match Ether across characters? Cause you totally can.

The only problem is money. Getting it is a pain in the rear end, even if you get "that one thing".

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

YourAverageJoe posted:

Yeahhhh no. There's references and allusions, but so far they haven't been meaningful, and being anime, I'm not expecting they ever will be. It's standard Japanese sci-fi schlock of trying to shove as many explosions, sparkles and tits at the viewer as possible while keeping the plot coherent but still mysterious for the sake of mystery.

While your opinion is rather shallow, you're not entirely incorrect. The plot has been thought through quite a bit, and there are many parts where the game REALLY works (Ziggy and MOMO is one of them) and the characters are all fairly likable.
The game does rely on fanservice too much, and it really shows in certain scenes. There is of course the issue on whether the explanations for what went on will be satisfactory. Personally, I don't think it was, but that bridge is ways away.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is that while I don't think you're giving this game enough credit, I agree that this game is not as clever as it thinks it is.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Cathedral ship would be really cool if the enemies weren't such a goddamn pain in the rear end.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Was it his clone daughter? I just thought it was some little girl who reminded him of his ex wife.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

chaos' Heaven's Wrath is super good here. It's a bit of a grind to get, but it's super worth putting into a high-speed slot.

Seriously. Use chaos. He's the best.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

This part was pretty fun. The boss...not so much. On the other hand, we're gonna get the best villainous monologue in an update or two, right?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

One gets Deathbringer when the other dies.

Man this cutscene! That's the one when you start taking Albedo seriously.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Blind Sally posted:

Yup, this is the cutscene I've been waiting for. Albedo 4 lyfe.

This game had some great villains.

That's actually part of the problem with the sequels. None of the other villains in the series had as much presence as Albedo. Well that and the story took its references to Religion/Psychology/Mythology/etc... too far.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

SelenicMartian posted:

Wow... Is there some form of space blitzball in this game, or it space fishing, space bowling and space shogi?

There's a mech arena and gambling. They're pretty fun, actually. The gambling one is pretty much the only way to make money in this game.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Captain Bravo posted:

So, basically, exactly like Chrono Trigger then?

Except Chrono Trigger's design rarely made this an issue. Think FFXIII and Black Sigil instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

It's all worth it for SOWLE CRUSHA :allears:

• Locked thread