Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Mostly Guajillo. I have some local sources, but they're tend to be expensive. I was just hoping for something cheaper and more convenient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Guy Axlerod posted:

Mostly Guajillo. I have some local sources, but they're tend to be expensive. I was just hoping for something cheaper and more convenient.

Welp next time I'm out that way I'll see if they have them and how much they are, if you like.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Guy Axlerod posted:

Anyone have a good online source for dried chiles?

I've ordered a HUGE batch of stuff from these guys before: http://www.penderys.com/

Everything has been (and continues to be) excellent. I had a massive infestation in one of the bags but I caught it way too late, so they couldn't really do anything about it. I don't blame them to be honest, it's probably how it was stored.

If you're used to chipotles that are super dry and almost hay colored, prepare to have your mind blown by the moritas they have. Super deep, chocolatey, tobacco-y (that's a word, trust me), and awesome.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
Potentially dumb question; is there a difference worth worrying about between using "Oregano" and "Mexican Oregano" when trying to capture a vaguely Mexican flavor when living in faraway countries?

I'm basically making imitation Mexican food based on memories of the authentic thing X+ number of years ago and wonder if I'm missing out.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
^^^^^^^^^^

Oregano could be either Italian, Greek or Mexican. Italian/Greek taste pretty similar to me, but Mexican is a completely different flavor.

Guy Axlerod posted:

Anyone have a good online source for dried chiles?

I swear by http://www.penderys.com/. Massive selection, good prices, and everything I have gotten has been great.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Crust First posted:

Potentially dumb question; is there a difference worth worrying about between using "Oregano" and "Mexican Oregano" when trying to capture a vaguely Mexican flavor when living in faraway countries?

I'm basically making imitation Mexican food based on memories of the authentic thing X+ number of years ago and wonder if I'm missing out.

It's different, but not worth going out of your way to find it. I even found it at Safeway in the Mexican spice pouch rack.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

BraveUlysses posted:

It's different, but not worth going out of your way to find it. I even found it at Safeway in the Mexican spice pouch rack.

Anyone got a good surce for buying loads of dried chillis at a decent price in the UK?

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

Spuckuk posted:

Anyone got a good surce for buying loads of dried chillis at a decent price in the UK?

Have you ever tried your local ethnic markets? I can often find good prices and variety on bulk spices and other staples at those stores

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Spuckuk posted:

http://www.mexgrocer.co.uk/Dried-Chillies/

Haven't tried their dried chilies, but I've had other stuff that they've sold and it's been pretty good.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

angor posted:

http://www.mexgrocer.co.uk/Dried-Chillies/

Haven't tried their dried chilies, but I've had other stuff that they've sold and it's been pretty good.

Jesus Christ those are expensive. I'm glad I live in the southwest and can get dried chiles for like $1-2/lb. instead of whatever the gently caress that comes out to in :britain:

We have three gigantic rubbermaid tubs stuffed with at least a dozen varieties of dried chile.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Hauki posted:

Jesus Christ those are expensive. I'm glad I live in the southwest and can get dried chiles for like $1-2/lb. instead of whatever the gently caress that comes out to in :britain:

We have three gigantic rubbermaid tubs stuffed with at least a dozen varieties of dried chile.

Most of the chiles on that site are cheaper than the ones on Pendery's. But yeah, obviously the SW is going to have better pricing and availability.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
(Cross posting this from the recipe thread, because it fits here too.)

Made some tacos de lengua today for the first time (beef tongue tacos). Looked at some recipes from Mexican sites/youtubers and they were all quite close to the one at Serious Eats, although serious eats uses chicken stock instead of water (http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/04/tacos-de-lengua-recipe.html). Another difference is that most Mexican recipes would then put the tongue pieces in a steamer filled with the resulting stock to make the meat "sweat" and keep it warm while tacos are made to order. I went for the searing in a pan option because I don't need the meat to be warm for several hours.

They came out quite good and somewhat resemble in taste what I would get at a Mexico City taco stand:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Good job!

That gentle steaming post cook is actually kind of a thing, texture wise, though. Give it a try next time!

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Good job!

That gentle steaming post cook is actually kind of a thing, texture wise, though. Give it a try next time!
Thanks!

I was thinking of reheating it that way tonight. Last night I just wanted to eat, and the pan seemed quicker! Does it have to be steamed using its own cooking stock or does just water work? I did save the stock, just wondering.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Made chili powder with a mix of four dried chiles the other day

2 Arbol
2 Pasilla
2 New Mexico
2 Guajillo

Then 2 tbs garlic powder, 2 tbs toasted cumin, 1 tbs oregano, and 1 tsp smoked paprika

Turned out great, but I'd love to add some (not hot) variety to the next batch

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

rgocs posted:

Thanks!

I was thinking of reheating it that way tonight. Last night I just wanted to eat, and the pan seemed quicker! Does it have to be steamed using its own cooking stock or does just water work? I did save the stock, just wondering.

Use the stock. That's one of the secrets.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Use the stock. That's one of the secrets.

Cool, I'll report back tonight then. One question, I read that I could keep the tongue int the fridge for up to 5 days. Does that sound reasonable?

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

MrSlam posted:

Made chili powder with a mix of four dried chiles the other day

2 Arbol
2 Pasilla
2 New Mexico
2 Guajillo

Then 2 tbs garlic powder, 2 tbs toasted cumin, 1 tbs oregano, and 1 tsp smoked paprika

Turned out great, but I'd love to add some (not hot) variety to the next batch

Ancho and cascabel are some of my favorite dried not-that-spicy chiles, but I've never tried 'em on chili p.
Here's to experimenting!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

rgocs posted:

Cool, I'll report back tonight then. One question, I read that I could keep the tongue int the fridge for up to 5 days. Does that sound reasonable?

My personal rule is 3 days, but depending on the salt and oil levels in your finished product, it might be longer. Let your nose be your guide.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Mr. Wiggles posted:

My personal rule is 3 days, but depending on the salt and oil levels in your finished product, it might be longer. Let your nose be your guide.

Couldn't wait, working from home so had some for lunch. Steamed the meat and also the tortillas, which increased the similarity of tacos de lengua from Mexican taquerias.

Taking the meat of the fridge I was surprised by a huge block of stuck-together tongue pieces. Turns out it's quite fatty, so when it cooled down the fat in it bound the pieces together. The texture when steamed was indeed different than sauteed, it felt less fatty. Is the fat dripping down into the liquid while it's being steamed? Or does the texture change for other reasons?

Regarding storage time, it won't make past day 4. But yes, I follow my nose too, though usually by then it's too late!

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

You sure it's fat and not gelatin?

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Thoht posted:

Hm, you're right, maybe it was gelatin.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Cross posting this carnitas recipe because I love it:

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I've gotten the best results in a Dutch oven. I make a rub of paprika, cumin, salt, oregano and olive oil. Chopped onion, garlic, bay leaf, chicken stock, roasted bell pepper, roasted poblano and roast any other chilis you want, two oranges halved and squeezed, lime juice and pepper.

After it cooks at 250 for a few hours (I usually do 4lbs of pork shoulder because that's what fits in my Dutch oven) I take the meat and orange peels out of the liquid. I use a hand blender in there until it's smooth. When that's done I add the shredded pork in batches to a hot pan and ladle the right amount of liquid over it until it is nice and crispy on one side.

I swear by this method and everyone who's had it has made themselves sick from overeating.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Yeah you can smoke the pork and use the drippings in the sauce as well. I also forgot to mention that the sauce should be reduced to about half. I had a lot leftover even after that.

Goes great in corn tortillas with pico or just onions and cilantro.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
I just shred the pork and broil it for a few minutes to get it awesomely crispy. Honestly, up in MN, this method produces more consistently carnitas carnitas than most restaurants. Often times folks will just give us Chipotle style pulled pork that they call carnitas.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Paper With Lines posted:

I just shred the pork and broil it for a few minutes to get it awesomely crispy. Honestly, up in MN, this method produces more consistently carnitas carnitas than most restaurants. Often times folks will just give us Chipotle style pulled pork that they call carnitas.

I've tried broiling but it just isn't as good as when I do it on the stove top.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Thoht posted:

Definitely gelatin. Took all of the tongue out of the container and it was a block of gelatin at the bottom.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Cross posting this carnitas recipe because I love it

I've been dying to cook some carnitas for a while now.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

What is hard about the pan fry method for me is that you can only do so much at a time. When I do it in the oven, I load up two half sheet pants with pulled pork, load those thangs up with salt and lime and shove them in the oven.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
When you guys are doing this, are you doing the pre-slow-cook sear or just straight into the DO/Slowcooker?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Paper With Lines posted:

What is hard about the pan fry method for me is that you can only do so much at a time. When I do it in the oven, I load up two half sheet pants with pulled pork, load those thangs up with salt and lime and shove them in the oven.

I'd rather do a little bit at a time and get better tasting food than doing it all at once and having dried out leftovers. I always have leftovers so it doesn't make sense to cook it all and reheat it over and over when I can just take some gravy and meat out of the fridge, put it in the pan and have it taste like I just made it.

I don't sear it because I crisp it up after the long cook so it is really unnecessary.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Cross posting this carnitas recipe because I love it:

Goes great in corn tortillas with pico or just onions and cilantro.

Made this with some fresh corn tortillas and it was great. I might try cooking at a lower temp for another hour or two next time, though.
Also I need a bigger griddle, I can barely fit two tortillas on mine.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

Listened to a p sweet Moth story about a dude who was hanging out with one of his Mexican dishwashers.

https://themoth.org/storytellers/roy-choi

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I went to a Mexican place the other night and got what they called Levanta Muertos. It was pretty much the Mexican style shrimp cocktail, but with bay scallops, oysters and octopus in addition to shrimp. Is this something that's made in other places, and does anyone have a good recipe? If not, does someone have a good shrimp cocktail recipe that I might add other seafoods to?

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I went to a Mexican place the other night and got what they called Levanta Muertos. It was pretty much the Mexican style shrimp cocktail, but with bay scallops, oysters and octopus in addition to shrimp. Is this something that's made in other places, and does anyone have a good recipe? If not, does someone have a good shrimp cocktail recipe that I might add other seafoods to?

That's funny. The actual name in Mexico for that cocktail is "Vuelve a la Vida", which means "Return to Life" or "Back from the Dead". Makes me wonder whether they either named it like that on purpose or someone translated it for them.

Anyway, I don't have a recipe, but "Vuelve a la Vida" is what you need to Google.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Quick googling shows sopa levanta muertos is a pretty common term for it. Maybe it's regional?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
"Sopa" is "soup" though, not cocktail. Googling it comes back with many hangover soups like "caldo the camaron" (a spicy shrimp broth), "birria", "consome de barbacoa", and yeah, a seafood soup; but he mentioned it was like a shrimp cocktail, so it wouldn't be like a soup.

It might be possible that someone somewhere calls it "levanta muertos". But if you want the recipe, you need to look for "Vuelve a la Vida". I've gone to many seafood places around Mexico during the many years I lived there, and I've always seen that cocktail called "Vuelve a la Vida".

• Locked thread