Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

MewMcDong posted:

Anyone have any good guacamole recipes? I have family with lots and lots of avocado trees so in the summer I get inundated with a metric shitton of avocados. Please help me convert them into delicious dip. Im getting tired of eating them with just salt and pepper.

I chop up 1 tomatillo/1 serrano/juice of one lime (or to taste) per avocado, add cilantro, salt, garlic, and ancho powder to taste. Put it all in a bowl and mash to a consistency you like.

Alternatively, please send me your spare avocados.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

MewMcDong posted:

Anyone have any good guacamole recipes? I have family with lots and lots of avocado trees so in the summer I get inundated with a metric shitton of avocados. Please help me convert them into delicious dip. Im getting tired of eating them with just salt and pepper.
A few common, basic additives (quantities are in relation to 1 avocado):

Lime Juice (1/2 tsp.)- Almost considered to be necessary for guacamole.

Cilantro (1 tsp.)- Typical flavor. Adds an aromatic spark to it.

Diced peppers (1 tsp.)- Basically any kind of chili pepper will do. Roast it, pickle it, leave it raw, whichever you prefer. Can add some kick and a little texture to guacamole.

Pretty much any typical ingredient will do, and you can mix and match any of these into a recipe to get different combinations

-Fruits are always a great addition. Diced apricots or banana are pretty common additives. Using citrus fruits like lime or grapefruit work particularly well, and you can use their squeezed juice in lieu of lime juice if you please. I throw up to about an ounce or two of diced fruit into mine, and a teaspoon or so of juice.

-Nuts bring out the nutty flavor of avocado really well, particularly almonds. Run this simple almond butter recipe, and a teaspoon or so of it to any guacamole recipe for a different flavor. Other nut butters will work, but I'd recommend ones that haven't been tampered with, like store-bought brands that add a crapload of pointless sugar and other additives.

-Sour Cream can give it some nice flavor, and a creamier texture. I knew a few places in Jersey that would actually whip cream cheese into it to make it kind of fluffy. I wouldn't add more than a 1/2 tsp. of either, or you can really kill the avocados' flavor.

tom kite
Feb 12, 2009

About a quarter of avocados I get from the store have got this awful acidic smell and a sort of brownish mold looking substance between the peel and the flesh of the avocado. I'm guessing its some kind of mold or fungus, but any tips on how to pick avocados without it? I haven't been able to tell them apart on external appearance or smell.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

tom kite posted:

About a quarter of avocados I get from the store have got this awful acidic smell and a sort of brownish mold looking substance between the peel and the flesh of the avocado. I'm guessing its some kind of mold or fungus, but any tips on how to pick avocados without it? I haven't been able to tell them apart on external appearance or smell.

That's weird. I typically get them before they're ripened, when their peels aren't that dark blackish/greenish yet. They ripen best in an atmosphere of 60-70 degrees fahrenheit with good circulated air. You can also throw them in a paper bag with another piece of fruit, like an apple or banana. They're fully ripened when the peel is dark- almost black, and soft to a squeeze (without any mushy or liquidy parts). Once ripened, you can hold them for a few days at about 40 degrees to keep them that way.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

tom kite posted:

http://lifehacker.com/5919547/always-find-the-perfect-avocado-by-popping-off-the-stem

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
I recently went to Cancun with my wife and while there we took a day long cooking class on Mexican cuisine. There were 2 side dishes that particularly stood out. One was basically a mixture of mashed potatoes and chorizo. The other was poblano peppers and onions sliced in thin strips and served in a cream sauce. It was sort of like creamed spinach but with peppers instead. Both were incredible. It basically ruined Mexican restaurants for me because until this trip, I thought the only side dishes that existed in Mexican cuisine were refried beans and rice.

I also learned that a gordita is not something Taco Bell invented, but they did ruin it.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Tonight I made Puerco con Nopales

A pretty standard recipe, very healthy and tasty. You can use any cut of pork, really. If it's a chop or steak, follow the preparation method I use below. If something else, boil first perhaps, then follow.

Pork steaks
An onion, chopped
A couple of cloves garlic, smashed
A few green chiles, chopped (your choice here, I prefer Anaheims)
Several paddles of nopale, spines removed, chopped into strips
Some greens such as verdolaga or chard, chopped
Several tomatillos, husked and chopped
A lime
Salt
Pepper
Cilantro
Lard

Fry the onions in some lard until they begin to take color, then add the chiles, tomatillos, garlic, and some salt. Cover and cook until soft, add lime juice, and transfer to a blender where you will process it until smooth. In the same pan, fry your pork until it is browned on each side, with salt and pepper. Remove. Deglaze the pan with water or stock if you have any handy, and add the nopales. Cover and cook for another 10 or 15 minutes. Add the pork, greens, and the tomatillo sauce, cover again, and cook until the pork is done. Serve garnished with the cilantro, tortillas or rice, and whatever fruit or vegetables you want on the side.

I made this tonight. Thanks for a great recipe! It was delicious!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

MewMcDong posted:

two avacadoes, cut in half, flesh scored crosshatch and then squeezed out (just squeeze the half, it'll pop out into cubes.) - 1 medium tomato diced, salted for 10 min, excess juice drained, 1/2 bunch cilantro rough chopped, 1 small white or red onion minced, 1 small clove garlic minced, juice of 1/2 a lime. salt and pepper. fold everything together gently until just cohesive. taste test, add a sprinkle of sugar if needed, or more lime, salt or pepper. make it good. done.

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

Could someone please share with me their recipe for chilli beans? I love to eat them and would love a more authentic styled version, my version uses vegemite and other oddities. Preferably one that doesn't use pork bones or suchlike because I am a vego.

The Baumer
Oct 22, 2008
I make menudo about two Sundays every month for my family, seems like most recipes and chat in here are pretty tame. Wondering if I should take some pics with my phone and put out a recipe.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

The Baumer posted:

I make menudo about two Sundays every month for my family, seems like most recipes and chat in here are pretty tame. Wondering if I should take some pics with my phone and put out a recipe.

yes. Menudo owns. And the tripe stew isn't so bad either. :v:

fake edit: j/k ricky martin sucks.

fake edit 2: Tripe owns. for seriously.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Perpetual Hiatus posted:

Could someone please share with me their recipe for chilli beans? I love to eat them and would love a more authentic styled version, my version uses vegemite and other oddities. Preferably one that doesn't use pork bones or suchlike because I am a vego.

Not sure what chili beans are, but classic Mexican style pinto beans (frijoles de la olla) are fantastic and can be made veggie friendly. I use this recipe (I'm pretty sure I was linked from someone who posts here, but I forget who; kudos to whoever you are): http://chanfles.com/comida/beans/frijoles.htm

I usually add onions, cumin, chiles (fresh or dried), and bay leaves, cause I can't leave well enough alone. Leftovers are great for refried beans, which could also be veggie, just don't fry in lard.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

The Baumer posted:

Do this and I shall reward thee.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Never, ever, by the fat-free or vegetarian cans of refried beans. They're so terrible. Mashing your own beans with the oil of your choice is the way to go. Bacon grease if you're not a vegetarian ;)

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

GrAviTy84 posted:

yes. Menudo owns. And the tripe stew isn't so bad either. :v:

fake edit: j/k ricky martin sucks.

fake edit 2: Tripe owns. for seriously.

I've only ever had tripe in pho and it was pretty unremarkable. Texture is okay, if even a bit interesting, but it was pretty absent in flavor. What's so good about it?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

The Midniter posted:

I've only ever had tripe in pho and it was pretty unremarkable. Texture is okay, if even a bit interesting, but it was pretty absent in flavor. What's so good about it?

They usually use book tripe in pho and cut it super thin so it's mostly just texture.

Honeycomb tripe is used in menudo and is braised until tender and it has a almost, well, I mean it's a stomach lining so... It tastes like a grassy hillside after a rain in someways, in a good way.

if that makes any sense.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Nope, it doesn't make any sense, but it made me want to hunt down some menudo so I DO understand what you're talking about.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Menudo has to be my favorite dish that I never eat. Because if you have good menudo, it's incredible - but if the cook was the slightest bit lazy in cleaning the tripe, :barf:

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010

GrAviTy84 posted:

Honeycomb tripe is used in menudo and is braised until tender and it has a almost, well, I mean it's a stomach lining so... It tastes like a grassy hillside after a rain in someways, in a good way.

If you go to a really good menudería, they should have several different tripes, including book and honeycomb. Book is by far my favorite, especially when in larger pieces.

jerkstore77 posted:

I recently went to Cancun with my wife and while there we took a day long cooking class on Mexican cuisine. There were 2 side dishes that particularly stood out. One was basically a mixture of mashed potatoes and chorizo. The other was poblano peppers and onions sliced in thin strips and served in a cream sauce. It was sort of like creamed spinach but with peppers instead. Both were incredible. It basically ruined Mexican restaurants for me because until this trip, I thought the only side dishes that existed in Mexican cuisine were refried beans and rice.

I also learned that a gordita is not something Taco Bell invented, but they did ruin it.

That poblano dish you speak of is called rajas con crema (strips with cream). Very delicious. One of my favorite dishes and so simple to prepare.

1) Roast, peel, slice poblanos
2) slice white onion
3) sautee onion in a little bit of oil/butter
4) add poblano strips
5) add Mexican cream (you can add some chicken broth and/or whole milk if you want to thin it out). Lately we've been using homemade kefir in place of the cream, and I think it's even better.

Adding a little bit of fresh corn sliced right off the cob makes this pop. You can add some crumbly cheese to this toward the end, but I think it's just perfect with the cream.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

You guys have a good recipe for making Spanish/Mexican rice?

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

Kenning posted:

Rinse some white long grain rice before and let it drain. I like to do some olive oil, maybe a tablespoon, sauté some white onion for a few minutes. Toss in the rice with the oil, cook until its fragrant/translucent and then add your water along with a Serrano or jalapeño, stemmed. Add a sprig of cilantro or parsley if you want, salt to tastes. Bring it to a boil on high heat and cover, turn to low and keep covered until its done. Also good to add cumin to the oil ahead of time. It's real good, also works with brown rice!

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Iron Lung posted:

Rinse some white long grain rice before and let it drain. I like to do some olive oil, maybe a tablespoon, sauté some white onion for a few minutes. Toss in the rice with the oil, cook until its fragrant/translucent and then add your water along with a Serrano or jalapeño, stemmed. Add a sprig of cilantro or parsley if you want, salt to tastes. Bring it to a boil on high heat and cover, turn to low and keep covered until its done. Also good to add cumin to the oil ahead of time. It's real good, also works with brown rice!

I generally like to use chicken or vegetable stock rather than water when I make it, it's also important to add in some chopped tomato if you want the right flavor and color (I must confess that when I'm feeling lazy I just add a handful of pico de gallo or dallup of salsa to the pot, since it has all the things I'd be adding anyway).

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kenning posted:

I made spanish chorizo rice from stone soup a couple of days ago and it was really good. Just make sure you don't skimp on the quality of chorizo or pimentos because that is where a lot of the flavour is coming from.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Toast the rice in a little oil with a large union, sliced in half and face down. Add chicken broth (you're making chicken AND rice, right?), tomato paste (quite a bit, half a little can for say 6 servings), sliced green bell pepper, a little garlic powder, and the secret ingredient is oregano. Some places add cumin but I think it makes it taste funny. Some people take the onion out, I always steal it and eat it after I eat my rice.

I like adding a bunch of dice jalapenos to it so that it's hotter than poo poo but too many people complain and won't eat it.

If you add diced tomato you end up with a pale rice with diced tomato in it - it's really different when you have the orange rice. My mom adds a little bit of corn but my dads family gives her poo poo for it.

I'm still tempted to just dump a big ol spoon of corn on top of the rice, to this day.

Musings of the Id
Jun 8, 2013
I would love to know if anyone has a good Tinga recipe (preferably with beef or pork, but de pollo is fine). I've made tinga de pollo from an internet recipe once and it was ok'ish, but it was no comparison to anything I've had down in Mexico.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
I've been making carnitas for a while; easy as poo poo, cheap, filling, and impressive when you get the meat perfectly tender and caramelized under the broiler. Only a couple of times has the meat come out unsatisfying, and those two times have been following someone else's recipe by adding an orange or some root beer (bitter and sweet respectively, I could have had a heavy hand though). Mostly I just add a full shoulder cubed, 2 quarters of an onion, broth, chilies, and bay leaf. Recently I've been adding the chilies later in the stewing, after a couple hours simmering. I make the stock from the leftover frozen liquid from the last batch.

The carnitas that result are great, if a little boring.

Is there anything else you've tried that brings a "white rice" dish like carnitas to the next level?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Refried beans are best when you literally fry the bean mash in lard. This is the only way.

Here are a bunch of recipes from our recent Bocaditos promo menu.

Burras de Carne Descebrada y Chile
Molotes Potosinos
Tacos de Hongas
Tlayuda Estilo

Salsas
Salsa Roja de Jitomate
Salsa Chiltomate
Salsa Verde Asada
Salsa Verde Cocida

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
It's not quite lard but I've been having a lot of luck making beans with bacon fat. I start with the bacon, add the onions, then add salt, oregano and whole cumin. After the spices smell good add the bean and water and go to town.

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010

Musings of the Id posted:

I would love to know if anyone has a good Tinga recipe (preferably with beef or pork, but de pollo is fine). I've made tinga de pollo from an internet recipe once and it was ok'ish, but it was no comparison to anything I've had down in Mexico.

1) Cook pork in water with bay leaf, black peppercorns, onion and garlic (salt too).
2) When pork is done, shred and strain broth. Reserve broth.
3) Blend some of the broth with tomatoes, chipotles, Mexican oregano, and garlic.
4) Slice a bunch of white onion. Ideally the amount of onion should equal the amount of meat.
5) Sweat the onion with a little bit of oil (or fat from meat that has risen to the top of the extra broth that you might have set aside).
6) Add the meat and fry with the onion.
7) Add sauce and let it all simmer together.
8) Check for seasoning. If you feel it needs a touch of acid, hit it with a splash of apple cider vinegar. If too thick, thin out with any broth that you might have leftover.

down1nit posted:

I've been making carnitas for a while; easy as poo poo, cheap, filling, and impressive when you get the meat perfectly tender and caramelized under the broiler. Only a couple of times has the meat come out unsatisfying, and those two times have been following someone else's recipe by adding an orange or some root beer (bitter and sweet respectively, I could have had a heavy hand though). Mostly I just add a full shoulder cubed, 2 quarters of an onion, broth, chilies, and bay leaf. Recently I've been adding the chilies later in the stewing, after a couple hours simmering. I make the stock from the leftover frozen liquid from the last batch.

The carnitas that result are great, if a little boring.

Is there anything else you've tried that brings a "white rice" dish like carnitas to the next level?

Make old-school carnitas (carnitas michoacanas). Ditch the broth and slow cook that pork in lard with garlic cloves, orange peel, bay leaves, whole cumin seeds, a sprig of thyme, a sprig of oregano (Mexican ideally). When pork is tender, raise the heat to fry your large chunks of pork. No broth or broiler necessary. Some people will add Coke/orange Fanta/OJ/Milk at the end to caramelize or something or other onto the meat, making it darker. I've never done this, but some folks swear by it.

Squirrelo
Mar 3, 2008

TMMadman posted:

Does Mexican street food count for this thread? Because I absolutely love elotes.

Boiled fresh corn served with butter, mayo, cayenne pepper/chili powder, cheese (cojita I believe) and I prefer to add a little lime. It's absolutely delicious and I love living in Chicago cause the food carts are all over the place. However, since I am always driving when I get it, I just get it served in a cup:

I just made this and holy drat is it delicious. Thanks for the recipe!

I've got my hands on a cow tongue and am now in the process of making me some tacos:

2.5lb cow tounge just covered with water, one onion quartered, 2 bay leaves, whole peppercorns, and half a head of garlic. Slow cook on low for 8 hours. Peel the tough outer skin layer off and cube it up. Enjoy with diced white onion and cillantro, maybe some avocado slices and tomatillo salsa. Street tacos!

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010

Squirrelo posted:

I just made this and holy drat is it delicious. Thanks for the recipe!

I've got my hands on a cow tongue and am now in the process of making me some tacos:

2.5lb cow tounge just covered with water, one onion quartered, 2 bay leaves, whole peppercorns, and half a head of garlic. Slow cook on low for 8 hours. Peel the tough outer skin layer off and cube it up. Enjoy with diced white onion and cillantro, maybe some avocado slices and tomatillo salsa. Street tacos!

Nice! This same method can be applied to beef cheek and beef lip for even more delicious results. I don't think I've ever come across beef lip here in the U.S., but if you can find it, I highly recommend it. Very fatty and melts in your mouth.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Lengua tacos are one of my favorites to make on our food truck. You either get fun, adventurous people to talk to about it, sell it to people who are disgusted or interested, or just mess with dullards who keep demanding we do a ground beef taco next week.

Squirrelo
Mar 3, 2008

Plan Z posted:

Lengua tacos are one of my favorites to make on our food truck. You either get fun, adventurous people to talk to about it, sell it to people who are disgusted or interested, or just mess with dullards who keep demanding we do a ground beef taco next week.

Nice. It took me almost a year to get my parents to finally try a lengua taco, and now they make regular trips to the taqueria to get them. It's seriously the beefiest beef you will ever taste, and it's tender as all hell. Squemish people are missing out.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I'd love a tried and true loving awesome birria recipe. I had some at an awesome place in Chicago and have been lusting after ever since.

I can google, but just wondering if any of you had one.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
One of the things I miss the most about Arizona was Mexican food. Good taco stands everywhere. I moved to the South and that poo poo is nowhere to be found. I'd kill for a Filibertos burrito right now.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
There are no 'bertos clones out there? I'd miss all the dicey places like filly b's if I ever moved, is there really nothing similar outside the southwest? They're probably my least favorite of all the places like that in Phoenix, Los Favs or Amados are my go-tos.

Squirrelo
Mar 3, 2008

Iron Lung posted:

There are no 'bertos clones out there? I'd miss all the dicey places like filly b's if I ever moved, is there really nothing similar outside the southwest? They're probably my least favorite of all the places like that in Phoenix, Los Favs or Amados are my go-tos.

Outside of the southwest there is no mexican food. At least good mexican food. It's all texmex bullshit and it really sucks.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

All this talk about food made me miss my mother's pozole. She's coming over in July, so I'll try to get on her good side and get some of her recipes for you guys :3:

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Squirrelo posted:

Outside of the southwest there is no mexican food. At least good mexican food. It's all texmex bullshit and it really sucks.

It's not true at all. I live in the geographic middle of the country and I can get just as good mexican food here as I did in San Diego.

You just have to go to where the Mexicans live and eat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010

mindphlux posted:

I'd love a tried and true loving awesome birria recipe. I had some at an awesome place in Chicago and have been lusting after ever since.

I can google, but just wondering if any of you had one.

Birria is one of those things that I miss dearly, but have never bothered making, myself. I've seen a recipe from Rick Bayless online that looks legit. It's fairly tomato heavy and really light on the chile, which pretty much rings true of Jalisco-style birria (where the dish originated) It says he adapted it from a restaurant in Jocotepec, a small town in Jalisco that's supposed to have some good birria. Jocotepec has quite a number of birrierías for such a small town, but I never managed to eat it there (you really can't go that wrong with birria in a pueblo in Jalisco).

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Birria-Goat-or-Lamb-with-Sauce

I like my Birria a bit brothier than this, so I would throw a goat/lamb bone or two into the steaming water to add a little more flavor and maybe add a touch more water to it/adjust for seasoning.

I swore to myself that I would get a few lamb shanks by the end of the summer and whip this up. Let me know how it turns out.

Squirrelo posted:

I've had real legit Mexican in NYC. Chicago is busting with Mexicans. I've still never been to Chicago, but I would trust Mexican food more there than here in Texas.

• Locked thread