Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I got a new phone, so it's time to start taking pictures of two scruffy nerds grinding corn down into tortillas and also dropping tamales on the floor and eating them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

bolo yeung posted:

I've had real legit Mexican in NYC. Chicago is busting with Mexicans. I've still never been to Chicago, but I would trust Mexican food more there than here in Texas.

What is wrong with you.

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

What is wrong with you.

OK, maybe I shouldn't rule out all of Texas, but, for the most part, Houston's Mexican food scene is pretty lacking. I think tex-mex is so entrenched here, that it makes it hard for people to put out really good regional food. A lot of "good Mexican" restaurants here are essentially "fajitas and queso and cumin on everything" joints with a couple of things like green enchiladas and tortas on the menu. No thanks.

I will say that Hugo's on Westheimer is pretty awesome. Best micheladas I've ever had (in or out of Mexico), and they do a good job of mostly central Mexico centric "alta cocina." Also good cocktails and some forward thinking dishes with the Mexican culinary palate in mind.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

bolo yeung posted:

I've had real legit Mexican in NYC.

Where? Tell me :colbert:

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010

Doh004 posted:

It's been 5+ years, so I can't remember places. All I remember was that they were in Harlem.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Doh004 posted:

I've had p decent mexican food in NYC when out drunkenly meandering. I don't remember where they were (Harlem area generally) but I do remember lolling at how expensive it was for hole in the wall mexi food compared to so cal. was like $2.75 for a taco

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Taco Mix al pastor tacos are decent. I like the mole negro at El Paso Taqueria, but it doesn't have that truly bittersweet sensation that I think mole negro is "supposed" to have and honestly is quite rough on my palette sometimes.

Citing good food in a city without naming a specific restaurant is like saying you read a good book once but you don't remember which. It is a terrible habit.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

bolo yeung posted:

It's been 5+ years, so I can't remember places. All I remember was that they were in Harlem.

GrAviTy84 posted:

I've had p decent mexican food in NYC when out drunkenly meandering. I don't remember where they were (Harlem area generally) but I do remember lolling at how expensive it was for hole in the wall mexi food compared to so cal. was like $2.75 for a taco

I've yet to have super authentic, good, Mexican here in the city. I lived in LA for two years and had some awesome stuff, so I'm not completely speaking out of my rear end (I'm by no means an authority on the matter). I'm not saying it doesn't exist, as I don't think I've ever been to Harlem (something I'd like to change), but if NYC were missing one good ethnic food, it'd be Mexican.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

No Wave posted:

Citing good food in a city without naming a specific restaurant is like saying you read a good book once but you don't remember which. It is a terrible habit.

Alcohol happens every now and then, you should try it.

It's not at all like reading a good book and forgetting. A book you see every time you pick it up. A restaurant may be something you stumble across when lost in a land you don't know.

Or just stumble into when three sheets to the wind.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
We were dragged to this place in Brooklyn by drunk friends: http://www.yelp.com/biz/calexico-brooklyn and it was the worst Mexican food I've ever eaten. The salsa tasted like watery tomato sauce with a spritz of chilies. Actually, I'm pretty sure that's all it was. Same friends said "man this place is awesome" and we told them they'd been away from Texas for too long. That's why I've been teaching myself to cook it, when I leave AZ I want to make sure I can always eat it.

Going to make some adobo tomorrow night and braise some chicken thighs in it, should be tasty!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Iron Lung posted:

We were dragged to this place in Brooklyn by drunk friends: http://www.yelp.com/biz/calexico-brooklyn and it was the worst Mexican food I've ever eaten. The salsa tasted like watery tomato sauce with a spritz of chilies. Actually, I'm pretty sure that's all it was. Same friends said "man this place is awesome" and we told them they'd been away from Texas for too long. That's why I've been teaching myself to cook it, when I leave AZ I want to make sure I can always eat it.

Going to make some adobo tomorrow night and braise some chicken thighs in it, should be tasty!

But it has a good rating on Yelp!

I hate guacamole with the consistency of bottled french salad dressing

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
I had awesome tacos at a little place in Astoria recently. The best part was that they were like $1.50 or something loving ridiculous like that. :ese:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

I hate guacamole with the consistency of bottled french salad dressing

There is such thing as an avocado salsa verde that some places will call "guacamole" but that is used differently and is also a misnomer.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

GrAviTy84 posted:

There is such thing as an avocado salsa verde that some places will call "guacamole" but that is used differently and is also a misnomer.

I love that poo poo, and have looked for a decent recipe for ages. Alas, my only source is second-rate taco trucks.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

GrAviTy84 posted:

If I want avocado in my salsa, I usually dice a bit, and add it to a cooked salsa rojo.

Adinin
Nov 16, 2012
Aside from the fact that reading through this thread is making me hungry, it reminds me of a story my parents tell. I live up in the far northeast where there is a significant lack of good Mexican restaurants (the last authentic one we had was shut down last year when its whole staff was found to be illegal and deported), so way back when i was a kid my parents went down to visit my aunt in AZ. They also love good Mexican food, a treat when we travel anywhere down south. Upon arrival they asked my aunt to bring them to a good Mexican restaurant... and ended up with burritos at the local Taco Bell.

Anyway, since then ive been able to get a few great recipes together, some stolen from restaurants and other tweaked from other sources. I have no idea how authentic these are, but they taste pretty awesome and are really easy to make.
Guacomole:
4 ripe avocados
juice from one lime
1 tsp mayo
5 cloves garlic, crushed
spoonful of salsa (optional, fresher is better)
lots of chili powder, cumin, salt to taste

essentially mix everything together with a fork until mostly mashed but with some chunks. adjust lime and salt to preference. Dont go too heavy on the mayo or it just tastes gross...

Salsa:
8 medium tomatos
1 large spanish onion
2 peppers, i usually use anaheim but anything works
1/4 cup oil
3/4 cup cider vinegar
1 can of diced tomatoes, blended, or 1 cup of tomato juice
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2-10 shakes of tobasco
1 bunch of cilantro
salt and pepper to taste

Chop everything as small as you can without going crazy and mix together. Tastes best after sitting for a few hours.

Then my favorite meat preparation method that we use for fajitas but could really go in anything. slice up chicken (or steak) and cook in a pan with a bit of oil, lots of pepper, salt and cumin. Once cooked take the hot meat out of the pan and put in a dish fresh lime juice and garlic, preferably enough to cover completely. at that point you can put it in a warm oven and let sit until the rest of the meal is done. Its easier then marinating for hours ahead of time and adds some really great flavor. The hot meat seems to suck up the garlic and lime, but not overpoweringly so.

Taft Punk
Jan 11, 2011

Fish are the vegetables of the sea.

Adinin posted:

Anyway, since then ive been able to get a few great recipes together, some stolen from restaurants and other tweaked from other sources. I have no idea how authentic these are, but they taste pretty awesome and are really easy to make.
Guacomole:
4 ripe avocados
juice from one lime
1 tsp mayo
5 cloves garlic, crushed
spoonful of salsa (optional, fresher is better)
lots of chili powder, cumin, salt to taste

What does the mayonnaise add that isn't already in the mix from the avocados? I'm genuinely curious, not trying to troll. Also, why chili powder instead of freshly minced or diced peppers?

Adinin
Nov 16, 2012
I think you get a bit of sweetness and creaminess from the mayo, at least thats what you get too much of when you go overboard. Really its optional and the chef in me wants to say that it adds more depth and flavor, but its just how ive always done it and the recipe tastes good enough that i dont mess with it much anymore. Chili powder is a bit different flavor then fresh peppers, though i think a big part of it is that i just dont like crunchy things in my guacamole.

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010

GrAviTy84 posted:

I don't know if I'd call that a misnomer. Guaca from "aguacate" and "mole" meaning sauce. It's technically an avocado sauce and people all over the Mexico call it guacamole, and it can come in many forms. There's even some that's just avocados thinned out with some liquid (water or milk).

Anyways, regarding someone's request, one way I like to make liquidy guacamole is making a green sauce to your taste and then blending in avocados. Or, using that same recipe, you can sub out the tomatillos for water.

Liquidy guacamole is amazing with good carne asada, doraditas (corn tortillas SLOWLY dehydrated/toasted on the cooler side of the grill), melted cheese and a chunky tomato and serrano roasted salsa. This combo of doradita, carne asada, and melted cheese is called a "vampirito," as a bit of trivia.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

There is a totally not at all authentic burrito joint in Wilmington, NC called Flaming Amy's Burrito Barn, and they have an amazing wasabi avocado salsa. Weirdest thing ever but so delicious. I've never thought of guacamole the same way since.

My (also I'm sure not authentic bit very delicious) guacamole trick is to heat a little bit of oil in a pan and toast cumin and garlic in it and then add to avocado, lime, peppers, Tabasco, cilantro, etc. Heating the cumin in oil helps distribute that earthy taste through the guacamole really well and the zing of lime/ Tabasco rounds it out. The oil helps the avocado get really creamy, too. I've gotten a lot more guacamole compliments since I started doing that.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Adinin posted:

I think you get a bit of sweetness and creaminess from the mayo, at least thats what you get too much of when you go overboard. Really its optional and the chef in me wants to say that it adds more depth and flavor, but its just how ive always done it and the recipe tastes good enough that i dont mess with it much anymore. Chili powder is a bit different flavor then fresh peppers, though i think a big part of it is that i just dont like crunchy things in my guacamole.

Look here cheffy chef, there is no mayonnaise in guacamole. Ever. For any reason. You are making, like, St. Louis avocado ranch or something. Guacamole has a lot of variations, but none of them involve Best Foods.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Guac never has mayo, ever. Guac is avocado + pico + extra lime.

and that pico better be made with white onion, or I will cut you.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
I'm also confused about the addition of Tabasco, seems like the heat should just be added via jalapeņos or a Serrano. I guess to each their own but I also hate Tabasco. Got some anchos soaking right now to make some adobo, dinner should be tasty tonight.

Speaking of hot sauce, anyone have a hot sauce recipe that keeps for a week or two in the fridge? Basically I want something I can put on everything I eat. Already have a good recipe for basic red sauce, just looking for something else to try.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Squirrelo posted:

Outside of the southwest there is no mexican food. At least good mexican food. It's all texmex bullshit and it really sucks.

:colbert: I can find drat good Mexican food in buttfuck, WI. You just gotta hunt down the communities around meat packing plants.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Doh004 posted:

I've yet to have super authentic, good, Mexican here in the city. I lived in LA for two years and had some awesome stuff, so I'm not completely speaking out of my rear end (I'm by no means an authority on the matter). I'm not saying it doesn't exist, as I don't think I've ever been to Harlem (something I'd like to change), but if NYC were missing one good ethnic food, it'd be Mexican.

I got you, bro.

Check out Tortelleria Tres Hermanos in Bushwick, right off the Jefferson St L stop. It's a tortilla factory with a restaurant attached and it's the poo poo.

Redhook Park on the weekends has a food truck rally with tons of authentic-ish taco trucks.

Also, I've heard Sunset Park is a great neighborhood for authentic Mexican, but I've not made it down there myself, yet.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

I can confirm that there are good taquerias in Sunset Park. I went to Matamoros, but there are tons of places up and down 5th ave.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Mikey Purp posted:

I got you, bro.

Check out Tortelleria Tres Hermanos in Bushwick, right off the Jefferson St L stop. It's a tortilla factory with a restaurant attached and it's the poo poo.

Redhook Park on the weekends has a food truck rally with tons of authentic-ish taco trucks.

Also, I've heard Sunset Park is a great neighborhood for authentic Mexican, but I've not made it down there myself, yet.

Thanks for this, I will have to try them out. I'm moving to Williamsburg at the end of this month, so I imagine I'll be getting more and more familiar with the L. Only time I've ever gone out to Bushwick was to goto Mama's Joy for some good soul food.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004
Mexican has gotten a lot better in NYC in the past couple years. Here are places I can recommend in Manhattan:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

Casu Marzu posted:

:colbert: I can find drat good Mexican food in buttfuck, WI. You just gotta hunt down the communities around meat packing plants.

This. Greely CO has some great Mexican, for example. And a tiny shithole place with the best horchata I've ever had.

Thanks for hiring cheap immigrant labor, IBP.

Also, made the puerco guisado recipe a few pages back and have been eating it for a week. So drat good.

justasmile
Aug 22, 2006

Everybody's free to feel good...

Casu Marzu posted:

Seconding this. I live in Madison, and there is some delicious Mexican food.

For content, what are your favorite fillings for tamales? And is it possible to grill them? I assume that would have to be done after they have been steamed.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Iron Lung posted:

There are no 'bertos clones out there? I'd miss all the dicey places like filly b's if I ever moved, is there really nothing similar outside the southwest? They're probably my least favorite of all the places like that in Phoenix, Los Favs or Amados are my go-tos.

I haven't found any in Oklahoma. There are a couple of decent mexican food places but they're not like what you find in the Southwest.

Squirrelo posted:

Outside of the southwest there is no mexican food. At least good mexican food. It's all texmex bullshit and it really sucks.

Yeah I can't stand places that stuff chili inside a tortilla and drench it in queso and call it Mexican food. It makes me so sad. Also ketchup in the salsa. :(

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

How do I make horchata?

I really should make my own. It was so good chasing down my lingua burrito this weekend.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

mindphlux posted:

I'd love a tried and true loving awesome birria recipe. I had some at an awesome place in Chicago and have been lusting after ever since.

I can google, but just wondering if any of you had one.

What place? I'd like to check it out.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

I decided to make chile verde today.

First, the ingredients: Onion, chiles, tomatillos, garlic, cilantro, chicken stock, pork (shoulder or something with lots of connective tissue), and, of course, lard.

Next, slice you tomatillos in half and roast with your chiles under a broiler. While the veggies are roasting, brown your pork. Remember not to crow the pan.

Once the pork is browned, saute onions and garlic until soft and fragrant. Peel, seed and chop your chiles, and add to pan with onions and tomatilos. Add pork, chicken stock and seasoning (I used salt and pepper, bay leaf and cumin, cause that's what I had) and cook at a slow simmer until pork is fork tender.

Celebrate Chicharito's equalizer, and then cry when Mexico lose :mexico:. Once the chile verde is ready, garnish with cilantro and serve with fresh tortillas

This was my first time making this, but I was very pleased with the results.

Squirrelo
Mar 3, 2008

PatMarshall posted:

Celebrate Chicharito's equalizer, and then cry when Mexico lose :mexico:. Once the chile verde is ready, garnish with cilantro and serve with fresh tortillas

Looks tasty, but the bolded part is important. My labmates are going to be pissed on Monday.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

EVG posted:

What place? I'd like to check it out.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/birrieria-zaragoza-chicago

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
The idea of putting mayonnaise in guacamole is loving revolting and kinda hosed my mind up when I read that.

Marceline Abadeer
Oct 14, 2012
Mexican has never really been a favorite of mine, not because of the flavors but because anything I could get back home (middle of nowhere CT) kinda sucked. I'm out in AZ now though so I figure it's about time to give it a real go - but there are SO MANY PLACES and I don't really know good Mexican food from a hole in the ground. tl;dr where do I shove foods in mouth around Chandler, AZ? This thread is making me huungry.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Marceline Abadeer posted:

I don't really know good Mexican food from a hole in the ground.

I can't speak to your specific location but I can say that more often than not, the best Mexican foods will come from a hole in the ground, or a wall anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

GrAviTy84 posted:

the best Mexican foods will come from a hole in the ground
Correct

(Seriously, if you can horn in on a good old fashioned goat roasting, do not pass up the opportunity)

• Locked thread