Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Yeah, fine polenta makes a good cornbread. If you need even finer I know there's very fineground maize meal to be found at Asian shops but I think that's more for thin flatbreads (specifically makki ki roti).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Hi Mexican thread! I just found that my local carniceria/fruteria sells nopal paddles for thirty three cents each. Please give me all of your recipes. I need somewhere to branch out from the salads and nopalitos con heuvos of the world. Thank you.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

indoflaven posted:

I hung out with some Mexicans over the 4th. They couldn't speak English but I watched them make beer can chicken tacos. Beer can cook the chicken and shred it. Then they boiled some tomatillos and other various peppers which they mashed into a salsa. Then they grilled the tortillas. It is amazing and I have since replicated it. All these years I've been steaming my tortillas like an idiot.

That's pretty standard for salsas when I make them. I prefer to grill the tomatillos and peppers than blend them.

Anyone got any good mole or milanesa recipes? Those are my two favorite dishes and I decided it's time I slowly learn to cook all the Mexican recipes I grew up eating.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Plan Z posted:

Yeah, gringo sources will tell you to cook all of the food first (because they don't understand the denaturing), and I've seen a few that add a lot of sugary or sweet stuff, since I'm assuming that they think a lot of people don't want a bitter bite in the flavor. It's pretty bad.

Just start off by cutting down your fish (very commonly shrimp or whitefish, but I've seen stuff like octopus and tuna done with it). Cut some veggies like sweeter onions or tomatoes into the same size chops as the fish, and mix them up. For acid, it's a rough estimate, but I'd put about a 1/3rd cup of lime juice for every pound or so of fish. Lemon is okay in small amounts, but can leave a bad aftertaste. Stir in the acid well, and after about an hour or so, it'll be ready. I typically throw it on fresh tortillas with avocado slices. Some regional stuff like Yucatacan will throw in different acids like fresh-squeezed orange juice or grapefruit juice (pure juice, not the sugary drink form).

One thing I've been doing lately is letting my lime juice sit for an hour or so before using it. A cook friend sent me an article from a chef (a popular Mexican one whose name I'm forgetting) that examined lime juice, and taste-tests on different limonadas concluded that batches made from lime juice that was allowed to sit tasted better than fresh squeezed lime juice hastily thrown into the mix. I don't know if it's confirmation bias or not, but it tastes better to me when I let it sit either at room temp or slightly chilled before mixing it into cold dishes.

Depending on what fish you use, some mango cubed up the same size as the tomato and onion can also be delicious.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

DangerZoneDelux posted:

That's pretty standard for salsas when I make them. I prefer to grill the tomatillos and peppers than blend them.

Anyone got any good mole or milanesa recipes? Those are my two favorite dishes and I decided it's time I slowly learn to cook all the Mexican recipes I grew up eating.

Milanesas are the easiest thing to make. Just take a couple of eggs, a pinch of salt and pepper and a dash of worcestershire sauce and mix them in a bowl. Use this mixture to marinade the meat for a few minutes (both chicken breast fillets and pork tenderloin work great for this), then dip them in breadcrumbs and fry 'em with a little oil.
Some people use flour instead of crumbs, it's all a matter of tastes. I prefer my milanesas with a bit more texture, see.

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008
Refugee from the great account hijacking of 2008

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I posted a mole poblano recipe upthread that is pretty easy but still very authentic. I also posted a link to a fantastic cookbook that has recipes for just about every style of mole you can think of (the hazelnut no-chocolate mole is awesome).

Mole recipe:

Ingredients:
3 each of the following dried chiles: guajillo, ancho, mulato, pasilla (seeded and destemmed)
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup almonds, 1/3 cup pecans, 1/3 cup filberts, 1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/2 medium white onion (roughly chopped), 4-6 cloves garlic
2-3 1-inch pieces of canela (Mexican cinnamon), 10 cloves, 10 allspice, 10 black peppercorns, all ground together in mortar
3/4 to 1 disc Abuelita chocolate, broken into eights
4-5 cups chicken stock (hot, preferably freshly-made)
Instructions:
Fry chiles in small batches for about one minute, put in large pot.
Fry onion and garlic for one minute, add to pot.
Fry nuts for one minute, add to pot.
Fry raisins for one minute, add to pot.
Fry spices for one minute, add to pot.
Dump contents of pot in blender, add chicken stock until 2/3 - 3/4 full and blend, then strain contents of blender back into pot.
Put everything that didn't make it through the strainer back into blender with 1-2 cups hot water, blend and strain. Repeat twice more.
After the third time blending, add blender contents straight to pot.
Simmer, stirring constantly, for 15 minutes.
Add chocolate slowly, one piece at a time, and keep stirring. Taste after each piece of chocolate to decide when to stop. This should take another 15 minutes or so.
Simmer 15 more minutes, still stirring.
Traditionally served over rice and chicken, but you can use it for pretty much anything that sounds good. I've even served it for dessert on top of chocolate cake.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Well, I didn't see a better thread to post this in, but some bad news for mexican hot sauce fans if you like any of these brands.

http://seattletimes.com/html/nationworld/2021456490_hotsaucexml.html

Imported hot sauces contain high levels of lead, study says

El Yucateco Red Salsa Picante de Chile Habanero
Bufalo Salsa Clasica
Castillo Salsa Habanera
El Pato Hot Sauce

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Are there any thoughts on making Carnitas? I'm pretty good at slow smoking pork but am unsure how to season the pork butt for Carnitas vs regular bbq.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

sellouts posted:

Are there any thoughts on making Carnitas? I'm pretty good at slow smoking pork but am unsure how to season the pork butt for Carnitas vs regular bbq.

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Carnitas

Been meaning to try it myself.

VVVVV This is what happens when I really don't feel like working.

Doh004 fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 30, 2013

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Carnitas

E: F,B

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I like some citrus flavour in carnitas. Grated orange peel or the like.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Sjurygg posted:

I like some citrus flavour in carnitas. Grated orange peel or the like.
Orange juice works, too. Nothing wrong with a little sweetness with your pork.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Take that carnitas recipe and add limes and oranges.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

That isn't carnitas, in fact, it destroyed the last thread. This is how you make carnitas:

bolo yeung posted:

Make old-school carnitas (carnitas michoacanas). Ditch the broth and slow cook that pork in lard with garlic cloves, orange peel, bay leaves, whole cumin seeds, a sprig of thyme, a sprig of oregano (Mexican ideally). When pork is tender, raise the heat to fry your large chunks of pork. No broth or broiler necessary. Some people will add Coke/orange Fanta/OJ/Milk at the end to caramelize or something or other onto the meat, making it darker. I've never done this, but some folks swear by it.

It doesn't take long to get tender, about 90-120 minutes. Delicious and very rich. I like to serve on fresh tortillas with a mixture of chopped onion and cilantro and lime wedges.

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer
It's nice to see my carnitas recipe still getting love after all this time, but I agree with you all that it needed citrus and don't really use that recipe anymore. Nowadays, I just take the pork butt, cube it, throw it in a pot, then juice in two oranges and throw the peels in and add a few cinnamon sticks. I also put whole garlic, onion, bay leaf, and a few cloves, salt and pepper. This makes for a really aromatic end product.

Cook on slow for a while, remove the orange peel, bay leaf, and cinnamon, then crisp and serve.

If I recall correctly, the last Mexican food got closed because the thread starter got pissed about all the carnitas talk so that's probably all I have to say on the subject. :cheers:

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

The only problem with carnitas michoacanas, which I love, is keeping that much lard around. I usually keep 1lb on hand for making tortillas, frying beans, and sauteeing anything that will go in tacos/enchiladas/quesadillas/mexican food.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

I usually only end up using 1 package of snowcap manteca (1 lb) for a batch, although with a wider pan/more pork, you might need more, but its not like its expensive! (I get that its a lot of fat to cook with, I'm sure the recipe posted above is tasty).

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

gizmojumpjet posted:

It's nice to see my carnitas recipe still getting love after all this time, but I agree with you all that it needed citrus and don't really use that recipe anymore. Nowadays, I just take the pork butt, cube it, throw it in a pot, then juice in two oranges and throw the peels in and add a few cinnamon sticks. I also put whole garlic, onion, bay leaf, and a few cloves, salt and pepper. This makes for a really aromatic end product.

Cook on slow for a while, remove the orange peel, bay leaf, and cinnamon, then crisp and serve.

If I recall correctly, the last Mexican food got closed because the thread starter got pissed about all the carnitas talk so that's probably all I have to say on the subject. :cheers:

I still really liked the older recipe, but I'll give your newer version a try

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Thanks everyone, no offense to the OP of that recipe but I searched there first, saw no citrus, and discounted it.

I hate the idea of cooking with that much lard but Carnitas aren't supposed to be healthy, are they?

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010

sellouts posted:

I hate the idea of cooking with that much lard but Carnitas aren't supposed to be healthy, are they?

It's not like it's soaking up all the lard. Make them that way. Trust me. You can use all that leftover flavored lard for your beans or whatever else you'd use lard for.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Has anyone ever attempted to make goose fat carnitas? Would it work? Would it be delicious or terrible?

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.
I made the pressure cooked carnitas from Modernist Cuisine At Home, and to be honest they weren't very good. The achiote paste was pretty flavourless - mostly lemon, vinegar and a bit of chilli - and the carnitas themselves were bland, dry and flavourless. Even when I put in 2-3x the achiote, the only way to save it was to dump in shitloads of cilantro and lime juice.

http://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/pressure-cooked-carnitas/

I think I am going to try a larded up version. Clearly, the problem is that I wasnt being enough of a fatty.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/09/mexico-obesity_n_3567772.html

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
You can strain and save your carnitas lard for the next go if that's your hangup. It's just gonna get better.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

gizmojumpjet posted:

To be more precise than "getting pissed" it was turning rather goony and devolving into a crockpot salsa pork/chicken chat

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

joelcamefalling posted:

I made the pressure cooked carnitas from Modernist Cuisine At Home, and to be honest they weren't very good. The achiote paste was pretty flavourless - mostly lemon, vinegar and a bit of chilli - and the carnitas themselves were bland, dry and flavourless. Even when I put in 2-3x the achiote, the only way to save it was to dump in shitloads of cilantro and lime juice.

I think I am going to try a larded up version. Clearly, the problem is that I wasnt being enough of a fatty.

Yeah achiote doesn't taste like much of anything, it's really more for color.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

joelcamefalling posted:

I'm glad it wasn't just me who didn't really care for this recipe either

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
Does anyone render their own lard? I'm in Korea and lard and shortening just doesn't exist here. Also, are the nopales used in Mexico just any kind of prickly pear or is it a specific cultivar. I found some from Jeju, Korea (fruit too) and they are expensive (like everything is) so I don't want to waste time and money.

DoctorPresident
Jul 21, 2012
As long as the pads are tender (with the spines barely developed) you should be fine.

Let's make some Salsa Molcajeteada!

This is a type of salsa that goes great with carne asada tacos or any kind of grilled meat.

What you need:

3 Red (or green) Large Chiles Serranos

3 medium size Tomatoes

1/4 of a Purple Onion

A pinch of kosher salt

1 clove of garlic (optional)

A medium size molcajete

A comal (any cast iron griddle will do)

The Molcajete is the traditional mexican version of the mortar and pestle carved out of a single block of basalt. It looks like this:

Preparation (I won't be using any garlic because one of my friends is allergic):

First, clean the vegetables and pull out the stem and crown of the chiles.

Turn the griddle on a high heat and place all your vegetables on it (garlic included). Don't forget to constantly turn them so they don't stick to the surface of the griddle.

When the garlic and onions are browned, take them out and place them inside the molcajete. Slice them and add the salt.

Now comes the fun part: Slowly grind the ingredients with the pestle in a circular motion until you get a mushy paste. Remember, you don't want to hit the pestle against the molcajete, the whole point of them being made out of basalt is to take advantage of their coarse surface.

Keep cooking the rest of the ingredients until they're slightly blackened.

One by one, take the chiles and cut them in smaller pieces. Grind them with the molcajete until they're mushy.

Do the same with the tomatoes.

Enjoy with some grilled meat and corn tortilla tacos.

I really recomend to grind the ingredients one at a time, otherwise your molcajete will get too crowded and it will be harder for you to grind.

Also, feel free to change the tomato to chile proportions if you think it is too spicy/ not spicy enough.

DoctorPresident fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Aug 2, 2013

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I am of the firm opinion that all salsa should be made by charring on a comal/griddle/flat top. None of that oven roasted crap.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

DoctorPresident posted:

Let's make some Salsa Molcajeteada!

This is a type of salsa that goes great with carne asada tacos or any kind of grilled meat.

Looks awesome, definitely gonna have to try that.

Kind of reassuring to hear of someone else with a garlic allergy too, that poo poo sucks.

P_T_S
Aug 28, 2009

I'm a little late to carnitas chat but this recipe works quite well for me: http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2011/11/homesick-texan-carnitas/

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I am of the firm opinion that all salsa should be made by charring on a comal/griddle/flat top. None of that oven roasted crap.

That is dumb to think that.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Anyone know where to get cal from (aka pickling lime, slaked lime, calcium (hydr?)oxide)? I bought some straight up corn and I want to nixtamalize it so I can eventually make some posole, but I can't find any cal. The big groceries I went to didn't have it and the hardware store with canning/pickling stuff didn't have it. Is it used in indian/asian food? There is an indian heavy grocery near me so I can check that, but there's no mexican grocery. Any other type of store I should look in? And is there a good place to order that kind of thing on the internet if I can't find it locally?

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I don't believe that ALL salsas should be made by charring the ingredients, but I do agree that charring on a comal >>>>>> oven roasting the ingredients.

Oven roasting ingredients for a salsa is for people who like to braise pork to make "carnitas." (Sorry, I'm getting angry about crock pot carnitas)

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Eeyo posted:

Anyone know where to get cal from (aka pickling lime, slaked lime, calcium (hydr?)oxide)? I bought some straight up corn and I want to nixtamalize it so I can eventually make some posole, but I can't find any cal. The big groceries I went to didn't have it and the hardware store with canning/pickling stuff didn't have it. Is it used in indian/asian food? There is an indian heavy grocery near me so I can check that, but there's no mexican grocery. Any other type of store I should look in? And is there a good place to order that kind of thing on the internet if I can't find it locally?

You can just buy hominy, you know.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

If you wish to make posole from scratch, you must first...

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

PatMarshall posted:

Well, when I was on a fishing charter in Cozumel, they prepared as follows:

Cut fish into small strips (you can use anything really, I can confirm that it was excellent with Dorado)
Cut onions, tomatoes, and chiles into equally sized pieces
mix together in a bowl with salt and plenty of lime juice, let sit for about 10-15 minutes until fish is "cooked" but still juicy
Add fresh cilantro and serve with hot quesadillas

I need to ask my Peruvian relatives how they do it, but the above was plenty tasty.

Should I even bother making this if I can't use chili peppers? It's a combination of not finding the right peppers at the store (I'm not in America) and everybody I know are complete pansies when it comes to heat.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

If they are thick walled peppers this will be easier, but what we did to get a fruitier flavor at the restaurant was shave/cut/slice off the inner membrane where most of the heat is. You will still get a little heat but more of the flavor. It's just kind of annoying and with thin walled peppers you will get pepper juice in your eye if you don't get peppers. Thai dragon pepper in the eye isn't fun.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

You can just buy hominy, you know.

Aww, but where's the fun in that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

bolo yeung posted:

I don't believe that ALL salsas should be made by charring the ingredients, but I do agree that charring on a comal >>>>>> oven roasting the ingredients.

Oven roasting ingredients for a salsa is for people who like to braise pork to make "carnitas." (Sorry, I'm getting angry about crock pot carnitas)

Charring on the grill is ideal, but the best salsa I ever had was made from tomatos fired in a wood oven.

• Locked thread