Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012
Man, I just love seeing all this speculation. :allears:
What if everyone is lying about themselves? After all, that's what everyone did in 999.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

judgementbringer posted:

Man, I just love seeing all this speculation. :allears:
What if everyone is lying about themselves? After all, that's what everyone did in 999.
I wouldn't say everyone was lying. Junpei excluded, Seven just lost his memories and Lotus hid information, but she was the one most out of the loop with what was going on. Everyone else on the other hand...

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

lotus circle posted:

I wouldn't say everyone was lying. Junpei excluded, Seven just lost his memories and Lotus hid information, but she was the one most out of the loop with what was going on. Everyone else on the other hand...

Right, and right now the only people who probably aren't lying are Sigma, who we saw get kidnapped, and K, who seems to genuinely not remember.

Other than that, Tenmyouji knows something about Clover that put her in a position to trust him enough to vote Ally when he went Betray. Clove and Alice are clearly closer than they make it seem here. Dio is a loving rear end in a top hat, and we have no idea why he didn't vote betray. There's a GAULEM running about, Phi knew who Sigma was before Sigma had introduced himself. And given that we just established that Sigma had a freak-out vision of another timeline or the future or whatever, that seems to be a big hint.

The only person we can not ascertain is lying about herself is Luna. The others are either not telling about themselves, OR don't remember. And as a drugged up doctor used to say "Everybody Lies."

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I like how you didn't even mention Quark.

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012

lotus circle posted:

Okay, technically not everyone was lying per se. But even those three, (yes I'm including Junpei), were unreliable sources of information. You couldn't really trust anyone to provide the correct info. You didn't get all the pieces of the puzzle until the very end.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

alcharagia posted:

I like how you didn't even mention Quark.

What do we know about Quark beyond him having Radical-6, a disease that doesn't make sense given our cripplingly limited knowledge

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

Onmi posted:

What do we know about Quark beyond him having Radical-6, a disease that doesn't make sense given our cripplingly limited knowledge

He knows Tenmyouji, and is close to him, and they refuse to explain why. He's smarter than an average 10 year old kid.

DWK
Sep 18, 2009

Eeepies posted:

He knows Tenmyouji, and is close to him, and they refuse to explain why. He's smarter than an average 10 year old kid.

Quark doesn't refuse to say why, does he? I don't think anyone has actually asked him. He was pretty open about calling Tenmyouji "grandpa" and talking about his adult film collection like they know each other vey well and Quark has spent time in Tenmyouji's house.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I don't believe Dio for a second about being a circus ringleader, despite his appearance. It seemed almost like there were part truths in there-like maybe he really does lead a group of 50 people around the world doing things, but I doubt it's anything to do with the circus. Ten seems the most sincere/least likely to be lying to me for some reason, apart from Luna.

The comments about Alice not looking like a detective were great :allears:

DWK
Sep 18, 2009

Battle Pigeon posted:

The comments about Alice not looking like a detective were great :allears:

Couldn't agree more. Especially as I've just got home from a party where a judge was dressed as a dalek. Maybe Alice and Dio were going to a fancy dress party together.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
It's a post-apocalyptic future where everybody is so twisted and mutated by nuclear radiation that they've all been conscripted into the freak shows of wandering circus ringleaders. Quark's indecisive nature comes because he's actually a pair of twins conjoined at the head by a thin, fleshy vein; one of them keeps the other wadded up into a ball inside his hat.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

It's a post-apocalyptic future where everybody is so twisted and mutated by nuclear radiation that they've all been conscripted into the freak shows of wandering circus ringleaders. Quark's indecisive nature comes because he's actually a pair of twins conjoined at the head by a thin, fleshy vein; one of them keeps the other wadded up into a ball inside his hat.

That can't be right - we've seen Quark without his hat when he was trying to kill himself, and there was no vein.

Everything else sounds plausible, though!

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I really get the sense from Tenmyouji's cryptic comment that Quark is the one who's a robot. It would fit both not really being an elementary school kid and other statements Ten has said (he seems at times to not want to say he's literally his grandpa, which would make more sense if he built/purchased him).

Contrary to that is the 'Radical-6' that Quark has, but we can't be entirely sure that he really has the disease. I tend to side more with the idea that it is a hoax, or at the least that Quark doesn't have the virus.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
I thought it was more he dropped out of elementary school somehow.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Quark IS an elementary school. His body is inhabited by the youngest members of a race of tiny beings that learn basic principles of life and academics by controlling parts of his anatomy. The so-called Radical-6 infection was just class 5-C getting a little out of control after missing naptime and trying to drive a scalpel into the heart of classroom 5-B, thus ending the years-long rivalry between the two classes.

ToastGhost
Jul 28, 2012

20% cooler

Nidoking posted:

Quark IS an elementary school. His body is inhabited by the youngest members of a race of tiny beings that learn basic principles of life and academics by controlling parts of his anatomy. The so-called Radical-6 infection was just class 5-C getting a little out of control after missing naptime and trying to drive a scalpel into the heart of classroom 5-B, thus ending the years-long rivalry between the two classes.
In a game with cockney robots, cave-girl waitresses, unfrozen mummies, and a guy who was cursed and slightly uncursed by cats, I have to say even that sounds a little far-fetched. :colbert:

MrCinos
Dec 20, 2011

Sentient Data posted:

Phi did have that super-jump out of the elevator at the very beginning, but who knows if that was actually relevant or just anime flavoring like Alice's (lack of) clothes or the Snackhat™.

I vaguely recall another instance of Phi displaying inhuman physical capabilities. I remember Sigma thinking that she run/moved at some point with impossibly fast speed, though where exactly (in a latter half of route) I can't say. I wish she wasn't a robot, but it seems very likely to me if there has to be one among the cast of characters.

MrCinos fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 24, 2013

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

ToastGhost posted:

In a game with cockney robots, cave-girl waitresses, unfrozen mummies, and a guy who was cursed and slightly uncursed by cats, I have to say even that sounds a little far-fetched. :colbert:

That IS the point - having beaten the game myself, I don't want anyone to think I'm giving away correct information, nor do I want anyone to think I'm purposefully misleading any readers by providing information that sounds like it could be correct, but clearly isn't because I'm extremely careful about spoilers. The only option left is to go totally off the wall and say things that are so ridiculous they're so clearly untrue that nobody could possibly mistake them for the truth.

Not that the game isn't capable of doing that as well, but when I do it, you know it's made up.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011

Kangra posted:

I really get the sense from Tenmyouji's cryptic comment that Quark is the one who's a robot. It would fit both not really being an elementary school kid and other statements Ten has said (he seems at times to not want to say he's literally his grandpa, which would make more sense if he built/purchased him).

Contrary to that is the 'Radical-6' that Quark has, but we can't be entirely sure that he really has the disease. I tend to side more with the idea that it is a hoax, or at the least that Quark doesn't have the virus.

Robot Quark could still have Radical-6...if Radical-6 is a computer virus.

It would explain why Quark has so far been the only player obviously infected by it despite everyone being exposed to him for long periods of time.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
I don't think Radical 6 itself is a computer virus. Now it could be a simulated Radical 6 in robo-quark.

And again, the game didn't say there was only one robot among the game participants.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Quiet Python posted:

if Radical-6 is a computer virus.
And the Latin log about the pandemic was written by a robot/AI talking about its own people (or was just planted to cause more confusion/etc) :psyboom:

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx

Nidoking posted:

So what you're saying is that this is all Miss Frizzle's fault somehow?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

legoman727 posted:

So what you're saying is that this is all Miss Frizzle's fault somehow?

Please let this be a normal Nonary Game...

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
Today we're going on a field trip to learn about game theory!

D3m3
Feb 28, 2013

Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?
We never used to meet AI rabbits that would make us play death games at my old school.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

With all the puns, Junpei was basically Carlos.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
According to my research, a tit-for-tat strategy is our best hope for survival.

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.

Fallord posted:

People keep saying this whenever the topic is brought up, but 999 had no problem showing Junpei's face in several in-game graphics.

Going to point out that in 999, we were technically playing as young June. Spaghetti deaths and whatnot.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Mister Roboto posted:

The gas clearly just messed him up, which in itself a reference to 999:

"He intended to leave immediately, but... Something stopped him. His reflection stared back from the mirror, but he had scarcely recognized himself."

I was wondering what the heck that scene meant for the longest time. Even as we reached the ending, I was waiting for something to bring us back to that moment for explanation, but I guess that whole scene was there just for showing Junpei's "Just got kidnapped" expression and all also throwing off the people who knew about Ever17.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
I didn't notice it until I just read that post, but Junpei is written in third person, UNlike most POV novel protagonists (i.e. Phoenix Wright, Sigma, etc.).

Such a small detail about Junpei that you'd only get on a replay.

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!

Mister Roboto posted:

I didn't notice it until I just read that post, but Junpei is written in third person, UNlike most POV novel protagonists (i.e. Phoenix Wright, Sigma, etc.).

Such a small detail about Junpei that you'd only get on a replay.

I'unno, the third person writing in 999 is pretty much the first thing I noticed. Never been that much of a VN guy but from those that I have played, it immediately stuck out as atypical, and I was kind of wondering who the narrator was for much of it.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

We continue our rounds.

VLR OST: [Sinisterness]

Listen in: [English/Japanese]

Can I get you a seat?

Are you some kind of waitress?

What do you mean, what do I want? I just came here to check up on you guys.

You better not be underage.

I turned 21 just the other day.

I see... Well, I guess we could probably have a drink or two, then.
...Unfortunately, as much fun as that sounds like, I don't think it's a very good idea.

Why not?

This isn't really a good time to be getting wasted.

Really? It seems like this sort of thing is exactly what makes people want to drink in the first place.

Hmmm... You've got a point.

I'm just kidding.
Besides, I've got a headache. Drinking is... probably not the best plan.

It hasn't gone away yet?

Well, it was fine for a while, but now I guess the bastard's back.

Are you all right?

Yeah, I'm sure if I just leave it alone it'll go away in a bit.
That's how it went before, anyway.

What? The headaches?

Uh-huh.

Now that you mention it, yeah, I did get one a bit ago.
I feel fine now, though.

What about you, Luna?

Um... You know, I think I did have a bit of a headache earlier...

Well...

Well what?

Your head feels weird?

No. My body feels weird.
Like, my whole body.

Do you feel kind of... numb?
I think I've got the same thing.
It's kinda like... Hmm...
Like when you fall asleep on top of one of your arms...
And then when you wake up, that arm kind of feels like it's not really yours anymore?
It's not just my arm, though... My whole body feels kind of... numb and foreign...

Really?

It's kind of like my body isn't really mine...

I'm sort of... floating. Like that?

Yeah! Exactly!

Maybe it's because of the anesthetic gas.

The what now?

Oh, yeah. Right...

You think this might be some kind of side effect?

Well, it could be a side effect, or it could be that it just hasn't worn off completely yet.

Hmm...

All right. I'll go have a look somewhere else, then.
You guys going to stick around here?

Yeah. I haven't really taken a good look at everything yet.

Okay. Catch you later then.

[Music fades out]

Attentive players may have noticed a slight discrepancy in this little section; Clover was stated to be 18 in 999, and VLR is stated to be a year after that, and yet here Clover is telling us she's actually 21. Much has been made of this contradiction; is she lying? Is it a Writing Goof™? Well, spoiler alert; it's probably just the localizers picking the lesser of two evils. For all the dark, gory child-inappropriate stuff that went down in 999, no one ever alluded to drinking alcohol around Clover, so no one minded her being 18. But her being 18 in VLR would lead to Aksys getting slapped for promoting underage drinking! So, best guess, rather than deal with that they just grit their teeth and introduced a little discrepancy.

Dealing with age ratings is actually kind of a running theme in this game. Uchikoshi has gone on record stating he was under pressure from publishers to keep the game's rating down - which is probably why that old woman got away with a nice dignified stab wound rather than being turned into lasagne.

Anyway...

VLR OST: [Anxiousness]

Perfect timing.

You were in the crew quarters before, weren't you?

Yeah, I was.
Phi, Alice and I went through all the rooms.

Did you find anything... suspicious?

Like a secret door or something?

If I had, you really think I wouldn't have told you?

Anything else out of the ordinary, perhaps?

Out of the ordinary... Hmm...

Huh? Oh, that's a book ameowt cats.

..."Ameowt"?

Oh, sorry... It's just this thing that's happened to me ever since I was a kid.
Whenever I start talking about cats, I start talking like one.
It doesn't really mean anything, though.

O-Okay...

Ha ha ha ha... That's weird!

So what's the cat book about?

Oh...
Well, there's this quantum physics thought expurrrrrriment called "Schrödinger's Cat".
This book talks ameowt it.

Oh, yes. I've heard about that.
A cat is put in a box with a device that has a random chance to release a poison which will kill the cat.
That means the cat is both alive and dead until someone opens the box.
Something like that, right?

Meowby?

...What?

I don't really know anything ameowt it.
I'm just telling you what Phi told me.

So it purrrrobably isn't going to give us any hints, then.

Quark... You're doing it too.

Oops...
He he.

What do you mean?

You checked out the lounge with Clover and Tenmyouji, and Quark was in the infirmary with Dio and Luna.
Anything suspicious there?

Well, this whole facility is pretty suspicious, but...
I suppose that's not what you meant.

Well, the puzzles in the lounge were lunar eclipse-themed.

Lunar eclipse?

Yes.
Apparently, there's supposed to be a lunar eclipse on December 31st, 2028.
All the puzzles were related to that somehow.

Isn't that this New Year's Eve?

I suppose it is.

Well, I can't say I know what year, or even what day it is, but...
Clover was saying something to that effect.

Did you find anything there?

Yeah. We did find something.
Just one thing, though.

What was it?

Dio and Luna didn't tell you?

No...

Okay. I've got it right here.
Just a second...

[Music fades out]

I'll spare you the reiteration.

999 OST: [Riddle and Puzzle]

It seems a little hard to believe.

If it really is some kind of pandemic, though... That sounds like a pretty big deal.

Yes, it does.

There hasn't been anything on the news, though.
This is the first time I've even heard the term "Radical-6".

Is there a pandemic raging on the other side of these walls?

[Music fades out]

Has something happened?

Yes! ...I mean, sort of! I mean we found something!

What did you find?

It's horrible! It's really scary!

...Horrible?

VLR OST: [Strain]

Argh! Never mind!
Just shut up and follow me! You'll understand when you see it!

Where is it?

It's right over here in the next room! Just follow me!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I have no idea what that is.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Holy crap, it's...it's...uh, it's...something. A bomb?

Also I have to say that if Sigma's cat pun curse/fixation/whatever ever turns out to be meaningful something in my brain will probably burst.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Oh my god, Sigma a bomb!

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Is that supposed to be a magnetic bottle or something?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Clover was supposed to be 18 in 999?

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

It's a blueberry!

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Wasnt that a thing in Sigma's flashback/premonition moment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

That is one evil looking face, Quark.

• Locked thread