Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
This explains everything -- Alice picked Betray because she was about to freeze to death and needed a smelly college student to scream angrily at her at point blank range until his sweaty breath brought her body heat back up into the safe zone. Disgusting, but necessary, since she removed all the heating elements in her necklace to jury-rig a tiny particle accelerator and use it to synthesize antimatter for a bunch of loving bombs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
So, should we place bets on who the people in the cryo chambers were?

Clover and Alice are shoe-ins (I get the feeling that Alice's corpse would have frozen if she really was All-ice). Sigma's probably the third guy.

Either way, it'd probably be a good idea to ask everyone what year they think it is...

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Nidoking posted:

I see the lion - two eyes near the right side in the picture, an open mouth with the drain in the middle, the triangles around the sides as a mane, etc. I guess that could be sarcasm on your part, but I read it as sincere.

It's possible to order four objects by weight in a maximum of five weighings as follows:

1 - Weigh object 1 against object 2.
2 - Weigh object 3 against object 1. If 1 falls between 2 and 3 in weight, this completes the ordering of these three objects.
3 - If object 1 is not between objects 2 and 3, weigh object 2 against object 3 to complete the ordering of these three objects.
4 - Weigh object 4 against whichever of the first three objects is in the middle in weight.
5 - If object 4 is lighter than the middle object, weigh it against the lightest of the first three. If it's heavier, weigh it against the heaviest of the first three.

this doesn't work because the scale is a binary. your number two would not be definitive, it could either be 3-2-1 or 3-1-2.

Sheriff Lowbrow
Mar 10, 2005

The Walrus posted:

this doesn't work because the scale is a binary. your number two would not be definitive, it could either be 3-2-1 or 3-1-2.

But 3-2-1 vs 3-1-2 is resolved by point #1 when you weigh 1 against 2.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

It's close though, just a notation error.
A -- Weigh 1 against 2. Let's assume 2>1 for notation ease.
B -- Weigh 3 against 2. If 3 is lighter go to C, else order is 3>2>1, goto D.
C -- Weigh 3 against 1, order will be either 2>3>1 or 2>1>3
D -- Weigh 4 against the middle one. This will divide that trio into a group of (two) and (one) with 4 as the divider.
E -- Weigh 4 against the (one). This will decide if the order is (two), 4, (one) or (two), (one), 4, with heavier/lighter as appropriate

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Glazius posted:

Okay, how the gently caress did Tenmyoji come to that particular conclusion?

And how is Alice not frozen solid right now, or is it water on opposite day where it freezes when it gets too hot, which is why she isn't wearing any clothes?

He told Clover something that made her pick ally against him, we have to get back on Tenmyoujis route ASAP.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
I was watching BET with the family over Christmas and I figured out who Alice is.

Alice is a clone/robot Nicki Minaj.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
By the way, no one noticed I linked the wrong music in that update. Tsk tsk.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Tenmyouji has obviously played the prequel, duh.

Fedule posted:

By the way, no one noticed I linked the wrong music in that update. Tsk tsk.

I admit I don't always click the 999 OST links since I remember most of the tracks anyway. :v:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

999 OST: [Riddle and Puzzle]

Listen in: [English/Japanese]

That means all you have to do to put yourself in cold sleep is drop your body temperature below 96.8.
No fancy machine needed.

From Clover.

Clover?

When we were exploring the lounge during the first round.

I see...

Wh-What's so funny?

Oh man, you fell for that one hook, line, and sinker, didn't you?

Clover was messing with you.
That is if she even said anything to you at all.
It was a lie. A joke.

A joke...? No, there's no way it was a joke!
I'm sure about it! Your body is made of Ice-9!

[Music fades out]

Well, you're mistaken.
It's a ridiculous misunderstanding. An urban legend...

999 OST: [Digital Root]

And ever since then, I've had people say they thought I was her.

I mean really... how could anyone believe something so ridiculous?
The existence of this mysterious "Alice" and of this ice that doesn't melt are just urban legends.

It can't just be because your name is "Alice".
There are tons of Alices.

Is it because of your face, and how you look?

Can I really be blamed if people think I'm an Egyptian queen?

I don't think that's the only reason, though.
Someone who made that mistake said something to me once...

Of course, I immediately pressed the issue.
"Do you mean the mummy, Alice?", I said. "When? Where?".

Of course, they were at a loss.
In fact, I began to feel a little sorry for them.
So I told them something...

"But maybe I've lost my memory and can't remember who I am..." and so on and so on...

Even if she was just messing with you, it seems a little out of left field.

You really think she put that much thought into it?
She was probably just screwing with him, and it was the first thing that came to mind.
Maybe she wanted to see if she could get him to believe something completely ridiculous.

Heh... Yeah.
I could see her doing something like that.

[Music fades out]

The cold sleep business is interesting, but I don't think it's terribly useful.

We should go see if the other team has returned to the warehouse yet.

VLR OST: [Anxiousness]

It looks like another warehouse...

It looks like the same warehouse...

Three more doors...

They're all glowing white... You think...?

I'd bet on it.

They haven't all been the same color before...

We definitely need to tell the others about this.

Right. Let's head back to floor A.

[Music fades out]

I skipped sooooooo much door-opening.

You've finally returned!
I was beginning to get anxious.

Did something happen...?

Yes... It's Quark, you see. He...

What?
What happened to Quark?!

It happened so suddenly. We were just searching our room...

VLR OST: [Strain]

Please, you must hurry to the infirmary!
Clover is looking after him, but his condition could change at any moment.
You should go...

Oh no...

Fedule fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 1, 2014

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Your update speed is pretty admirable, guess you had some free time during the holidays.

Also I guess everyone is just a normal person and there's nothing special about any of them! If Quark wasn't around to collapse and go crazy and what have you all the time I'm sure everything would be downright boring with all these completely ordinary people around.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Looking forward to Alice freezing solid at the most inopportune moment.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I know Junpei knew the story, but who was it that actually saw the mummy before? ...was it Ace? I know he found the root in the casket he made that drug from, but I can't remember if he ever saw Alice, maybe sometime before that.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 7, 2014

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Suddenly I am incredibly suspicious of K right now.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Green Intern posted:

Looking forward to Alice freezing solid at the most inopportune moment.

What if she is the killer and she uses body freezing to fool people into believing she is killed by the "killer"? :tinfoil:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

This is one of my favorite moments, if only because I immediately saw it as poking fun at everyone who was fooled into thinking All-Ice was going to be a major plot point in 999, when in the end it didn't really mean anything. :v:

(Well, up until the last five seconds but the plot was over at that point.)

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 7, 2014

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

At one point, K coming in to tell everyone the Quark collapsed would have worked as a cliffhanger. At this point in the LP though, the feeling is less shock and more "took long enough".

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Color Printer posted:

This is one of my favorite moments, if only because it's just poking fun at everyone who was fooled into thinking All-Ice was going to be a major plot point in 999, when in the end it didn't really mean anything. :v:

Oh, c'mon, you believed her that easy?

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
I don't think just plain freezing would do it - in actual cryogenics, there's a bunch of extra precautions you need to take, otherwise the expanding water in the cells makes them rupture and then when you thaw the poor bastard they wake up dead.

This may be the wrong game to nitpick about science, though.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Zoe posted:

I know Junpei knew the story, but who was it that actually saw the mummy before? ...was it Ace? I know he found the root in the casket he made that drug from, but I can't remember if he ever saw Alice, maybe sometime before that.
Nobody we know of ever actually saw the mummy. Ace found the casket, but it was empty aside from the Soporil root.

In both 999 and VLR up to this point, I don't think there has ever been any evidence that ALL-ICE was real, though there's been a whole bunch of attempts to make the player think she was.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
I think that was more referring to the dialog. Alice seems to have slipped up.

After all, who would have seen the mummy Alice? The one that went missing a long time ago. Well unless it was more "You saw the missing mummy? Where? When?"

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Zoe posted:

Of the people that discussed the mummy, there was Junpei and Seven in the main story, then Clover, Lotus, and Snake were in the car together when Junpei asked Ace about her, if I'm not mistaken.

But no one ever saw her, to my knowledge.

Also, is it just me, or is Quark becoming less of a character and more of a plot device at this point? He's collapsed on all three pathways, for goodness' sake.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Nobody we know of ever actually saw the mummy. Ace found the casket, but it was empty aside from the Soporil root.

In both 999 and VLR up to this point, I don't think there has ever been any evidence that ALL-ICE was real, though there's been a whole bunch of attempts to make the player think she was.

While this may technically be true, there is compelling evidence in 999 like that random document called ALLICE written in hyroglyphics, and also this:

I'm sure the explanation will involve some ridiculous retconning, but still.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

And More posted:

While this may technically be true, there is compelling evidence in 999 like that random document called ALLICE written in hyroglyphics, and also this:

Those would fall under the "whole bunch of attempts to make the player think she was." The evidence may be compelling, but we still have no proof that ALL-ICE ever existed.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Those would fall under the "whole bunch of attempts to make the player think she was." The evidence may be compelling, but we still have no proof that ALL-ICE ever existed.

I am pretty convinced that you are actually right about this. However, I doubt they will be able to explain a document written in hieroglyphs in any sensible manner if there is no mummy involved. Even if it was an attempt to encrypt a secret document you would probably not use pretty images that take hours to draw. At least not unless you want people to assume that you are from ancient Egypt/insane.

Rinoka
Sep 15, 2012

Is this hope...?
...No! That's wrong!

Alopex posted:

I don't think just plain freezing would do it - in actual cryogenics, there's a bunch of extra precautions you need to take, otherwise the expanding water in the cells makes them rupture and then when you thaw the poor bastard they wake up dead.

This may be the wrong game to nitpick about science, though.

If you're talking about Ice-9 (and thus Alice/Allice), the entire concept of Ice-9 is that it not only stays frozen at room temperature, but that it flash-freezes without forming ice crystals (and thus not rupturing the cells at all).

Most of this game (and its predecessor) is very pseudoscience, in that as long as you don't think really hard about it, it makes sense. In a hosed up, nonsensical way.

I mean, come on. 999 had espers.

Anyway, I loved this game and I love it still. I was considering doing it, but I was worried about recording everything (since the voice is really great). Thanks for beating me to the punch with a far better version than I could ever pull off, Fedule.

I've got a lot of my favorite things about this game I really wanna point out when we arrive at them (usually involving K, whom is my favorite character hands down).

As it is, though, I'll join the flow of speculation (and corrections about partially relevant things, such as Ice-9). Threads like this are always fun to watch, since it's the cliffhangers that make the game really come alive. It's like the SDR2 LP; everyone goes absolutely crazy. Plus, people really notice and remember things better. It's totally different from playing the game directly, if only for the fact we get to stew on it for a drat long time.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

And More posted:

How does an egyptian princess know how to hitchhike?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Oraculum Animi posted:

Morphogenetic Field™.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

Oraculum Animi posted:

That was my exact same thought when I first saw the image.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Also, is it just me, or is Quark becoming less of a character and more of a plot device at this point? He's collapsed on all three pathways, for goodness' sake.

Yeaaaahhhh... Welcome to one of the few things I didn't like about the game. That and Clover contracting Erratical-6, which causes total idiocy, an inability to keep secrets, and eventually a desire to commit suicide in the reader.

youcallthatatwist fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 8, 2014

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

And More posted:

I'm pretty sure that hitchhiker is Alice. Like, the one in this game.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

There's no way they can use the same red herring in two consecutive games, can they?

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

And More posted:

I don't know what you're talking about. Clearly, that is what K looks like without the suit and voice changer. :colbert:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Here's what I've done today instead of revising:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

VLR OST: [Strain]

C'mon, kid! Get ahold of yourself!

He's sick, and we don't even know what's wrong with him!
What if you make him worse?!

Then what am I supposed to do?!
I have to save him!

Maybe he just has anemia or something.

No, that's not it.
I know him better than any of you. He doesn't have anemia. He's never just... collapsed before.

Well then call an ambulance and stop freaking out about it.

You son of a bitch! This is serious!

Without a doctor, there's not going to be much we can do with them.

Well, we've got Luna.

Luna?

That's right! I remember Dio saying something!
You have a medical license, don't you?!

Wait, really? Is that true, Luna?

You have to take a look at him, then! Please! Quark needs your help!

Okay. I'll see what I can do.

It's called an ADAM.
It uses nuclear magnetic resonance imaging to examine and diagnose people.

So that thing can tell us what's wrong with Quark?

Yes. I believe it can.

Just let us know if you need anything.

Of course.

[Music fades out]

I feel so terrible saying this, but... Quark is...
Quark has an infection. A viral infection.

Oh no...

Don't tell me...

Yes... He's been infected with a virus called Radical-6.

VLR OST: [Divulgation]

Y-Yeah... I told Alice and Tenmyouji about it.

Phi and I heard about it from Luna...

W-Well, ADAM says that there's an anti-viral serum called "Axelavir".
It's the only way to counteract Radical-6. If we can inject him with some, he should... he should be okay.

Where is it?!
Shouldn't it be in the infirmary somewhere?!

We looked around, but we didn't see anything.

I don't trust a drat thing you say!
I'm asking Luna!

I-I'm sorry, but... Dio's telling the truth.
We didn't find anything.

Damnit...

What about the other rooms?!

No, nothing like medicine. I mean, it was just, like, a park.
Lots of vegetation and stuff, but...
No medicine.

Was there any medicine in your room?!

We visited the laboratory.
There were a number of chemicals and concoctions there, some of which were medicine, but nothing like what we're searching for, I'm afraid.

Oh God...
Then he's... he's going to... Oh God no...

The three of you went to the treatment center, right?
And you're sure it wasn't there?

No, there was nothing even remotely like it.
You went there too, didn't you?
The only thing in the treatment center are those "treatment pods".

That's it! If we put Quark in one of those pods--!

Quark!
Oh, thank God! You're awake!

Get away from me!

999 OST: [Trepidation]

What...? Quark, what are you--?

Sorry... Grandpa...
I can't... I... have to...

Have to what?
What are you talking about?

Isn't it obvious?
I have to... escape...

But... how?

...like... this!

Nooo! Let go! Let go of me!

Hnngh! Pretty tough for a kid.
Hey! Guys! I could use a hand here!

Y-Yeah! Right!

On it!

Me too!

Let go of me you jerks!

Tenmyouji! Can you even hear me?!

O-Oh... Right...

Why won't you let me go?!
I have to get out of this body!
They can't lock away the soul!
Once my body's gone, my soul can escape!
Please! You have to let me go!
Let me goooooo!
I'm trapped here!
Let me die! I have to die!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

Jesus, this kid's lost it...
Hey! Somebody get that scalpel away from him!

What are we gonna do?
We've gotta calm him down somehow...

Luna!

Y-Yes?

Are there any tranquilizers in here?

N-No... W-Well, I mean...

What?!

There's Soporil β...

Soporil?

That's the anesthetic! The one that's in our bracelets!

Good! Perfect! Hit him with some of that!

Wh-What?!

He'll be fine! It's just an anesthetic, Tenmyouji! It won't hurt him, I promise!

But...

Just hurry up and do it! C'mon, Luna!

O-Okay! Let me just...

Okay! I've got it!

Good! Wait until he's... Now! Do it now!

Okay!

No! Stop!
STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO--

*Pant* *Pant* *Pant*

According to these readings, he's in a very deep sleep.

VLR OST: [Placidity]

Yes...

What about the anesthetic? How long will it last?

He shouldn't wake up for a few hours.

I think that might be the virus's fault.
It probably attacks the part of the brain that governs reason. Without anything to hold it back, his body was using every ounce of strength it had.

Yeah? How do you know?

H-Huh? Oh, well, um...

How much do you know about this Radical-6?

O-Oh, not much.
I probably only know about as much as you do.
All I've seen about it is that newspaper article.

That the truth?

Why would I lie about that?
I've seen other viruses do the same thing. I was just making a guess...

Yes. At least, I think so.

So what kind of virus is Radical-6?

Fedule fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 1, 2014

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Right when i was sure we're only getting a boring repeat, there goes something new :suspense:

E: Also, if I recall correctly, we found the Axelavir in the laboratory on our previous playthrough, right? This could imply that either Clover or K are lying about not having found the medicine. Or maybe that Quark found it and didn't tell anyone? Or that it simply isn't in the laboratory on this path for no adequately explored reason.

Come to think of it, did any of the teams go through the lab on our first trip through?

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jan 8, 2014

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

That cliff is going to be all worn out from all this hanging by the time this LP is done.

Or maybe Alice just found some :420: from the garden.

Rinoka
Sep 15, 2012

Is this hope...?
...No! That's wrong!

It's really mean to cliffhanger here, of all places.

... which is one of the reasons I love you, Fedule.

Aumanor posted:

Come to think of it, did any of the teams go through the lab on our first trip through?

Phi, Dio, and K entered the red door, and visited the Pantry - judging from skimming back, the Lab wasn't visited that trip.

Rinoka fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 8, 2014

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Divulgation is pretty nice, actually.

I actually wasn't expecting the game to let us know who had the scalpel that fast, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

That doesn't look like a healthy expression on Alice's face. I was not expecting this. And I'm waiting for someone together tossed into a treatment pod, because seriously, those things are screaming to be used.

• Locked thread