Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

dscruffy1 posted:

Counterpoint: Dio's a jerk.

And only jerks like him vote betray. :colbert:

Pierzak posted:

I want to see the system autopick Betray on Alice's side because of an obscure rule that wasn't explained clearly enough :v:

Alice somehow screws us over via telekinesis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Rith posted:

Whether we ally or betray, we'll still be two betrayals away from death, so betraying has no survival advantages here. It makes more sense to ally, regardless of the moral aspect, because the only way to make any gain in the AB game is if your opponent allies. In future rounds, nobody's going to vote 'ally' against someone who betrayed an unconscious opponent.

What? we're at ONE BP! If by some chance we get betrayed while we pick Ally we will in fact, die.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yes, but in this round our opponent is unconscious and will auto-ally. So if we ally, we'll be at 3 BP. If we betray, we'll be at 4 BP. Either way, we'll be safe from death for at least the next round after this one - even if betrayed there. Playing the long game is a good idea here.

Also, everyone else is totally gonna hit betray anyhow, so if we ally we get to be smug about it :smuggo:

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!

Onmi posted:

What? we're at ONE BP! If by some chance we get betrayed while we pick Ally we will in fact, die.

Completely failed to express myself clearly there; sorry! I was talking about our situation after this round. As Alice is unconscious and therefore guaranteed to ally, we'd end up with three points if we allied and four if we betrayed. Having four points doesn't really give us a striking survival advantage, though, because being betrayed twice with four points leaves you just as dead as someone who was betrayed twice with three.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

ApplesandOranges posted:

I actually don't see the logic of Allying with Alice here; yes she's unconscious, but she has no leverage over us like Dio did and Sigma's on 1 BP.

I disagree - even at the risk of Alice voting betray somehow (waking up, morphogenic field, some obscure rule, somehow voting before passing out, etc) :tinfoil:, the simple fact is that by all logic she is expected to be helpless and vote Ally. Not just by Sigma, but by everyone.

Think about what everyone else would think of you if you voted Betray, with everyone having full knowledge that it should be impossible for Alice to do anything but default to Ally. Can you really break Luna's heart like that? Can you really act as bad as Dio with that angel watching over your shoulder?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Morphogenetic choice: It doesn't matter what we pick. We can always go back and see the other option.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Rith posted:

Completely failed to express myself clearly there; sorry! I was talking about our situation after this round. As Alice is unconscious and therefore guaranteed to ally, we'd end up with three points if we allied and four if we betrayed. Having four points doesn't really give us a striking survival advantage, though, because being betrayed twice with four points leaves you just as dead as someone who was betrayed twice with three.

Wait, need to clear up that ruling. Is it 0 or below and you die? or below 0? Because if it's the latter than yes, allying or betraying doesn't matter. if it's the former, betrayal is the superior option because it gives you the two-round buffer. And we never known when we'll be stuck with Dio who I STILL expect to betray Phi.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I'm pretty sure it's zero and below.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Onmi posted:

Wait, need to clear up that ruling. Is it 0 or below and you die? or below 0?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Rith posted:

Whether we ally or betray, we'll still be two betrayals away from death, so betraying has no survival advantages here. It makes more sense to ally, regardless of the moral aspect, because the only way to make any gain in the AB game is if your opponent allies. In future rounds, nobody's going to vote 'ally' against someone who betrayed an unconscious opponent.

On the other hand, Alice betrayed Sigma first, and called him an idiot for allying. Turnabout is fair play. When she was conscious, she wasn't a nice person, why should we give a poo poo just because she's unconscious? I doubt we could trust her if she was awake.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

On the other hand, Alice betrayed Sigma first, and called him an idiot for allying. Turnabout is fair play. When she was conscious, she wasn't a nice person, why should we give a poo poo just because she's unconscious? I doubt we could trust her if she was awake.

Because we're a video game protagonist :v:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Sentient Data posted:

I disagree - even at the risk of Alice voting betray somehow (waking up, morphogenic field, some obscure rule, somehow voting before passing out, etc) :tinfoil:, the simple fact is that by all logic she is expected to be helpless and vote Ally. Not just by Sigma, but by everyone.

Think about what everyone else would think of you if you voted Betray, with everyone having full knowledge that it should be impossible for Alice to do anything but default to Ally. Can you really break Luna's heart like that? Can you really act as bad as Dio with that angel watching over your shoulder?

I'm guessing people would think, 'Well he's on 1 BP and Alice is safe anyway, it's understandable.'

If Alice was on the death knell, sure, but otherwise Allying when you're one Betray away from dying and your opponent can afford a hit isn't exactly smart without taking moralities into account.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Eye for an eye is a pretty good simple strategy for Prisoner's Dilemma, but only because it ends up in a situation where everyone betrays all the time (while still leaving open the possibility of a double ally in the first round). Voting to betray Alice is voting for a strategy that gets us stuck here forever.

Also, Alice said that allying was stupid in the context of the other person being able to vote. It was a defensive betrayal, implying she didn't trust you. If you're at no risk whatsoever, like we presumably are now, what's stupid and what's smart can change. We have not heard Alice's explicit opinion on this situation.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm guessing people would think, 'Well he's on 1 BP and Alice is safe anyway, it's understandable.'

If Alice was on the death knell, sure, but otherwise Allying when you're one Betray away from dying and your opponent can afford a hit isn't exactly smart without taking moralities into account.

Ignoring everything else, it shows other people that we're likely to Ally, thus giving them incentive to Ally with us in return.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Of course I allied, I couldn't possibly betray Luna's expectations :kimchi:

Yep that's the reason

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

tiistai posted:

Yep that's the reason

When I played, that was pretty much my reasoning for every one of my initial AB decisions: what would Luna think?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I see this ending poorly when it turns out Luna is NOT WHO SHE PRESENTS HERSELF TO BE.

She's Zero IV and she manufactured the virus.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

tiistai posted:

Yep that's the reason

Same, plus everyone else is saying they'll Ally so it would end up being funny if we were the only one who actually did. Also, this:

Shei-kun posted:

Everyone's voting that we pick Ally.

If we truly loved Luna, we'd pick Betray and let her escape.

Also, the last time we all agreed with Luna and picked Ally, everyone died.

Wait, that was amazing. Never mind.

Picking Betray and then seeing Alice's reaction (since she was given the Axelavir, there's a chance she'll be recovered enough to talk again soon) will be fun too though.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

Pierzak posted:

I want to see the system autopick Betray on Alice's side because of an obscure rule that wasn't explained clearly enough :v:
Anyone who was infected with Radical-6 will auto-betray just because. :v:

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I wonder if anyone but Dio is ever actually going to get a chance to kill someone by betraying.

Blackajack
Aug 5, 2012

Ottakringer Helles

Zoe posted:

I wonder if anyone but Dio is ever actually going to get a chance to kill someone by betraying.

He already did...I think?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'If anyone BUT Dio.'

Blackajack
Aug 5, 2012

Ottakringer Helles

Well dammit. Guess I'll learn to read someday... :downs:

Pringles Monster
Nov 1, 2012
Dio has 5 points though, so hitting Betray won't necessarily get him out sooner.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

Pringles Monster posted:

Dio has 5 points though, so hitting Betray won't necessarily get him out sooner.

not like that has stopped him in the past (I just imagined :moreevil: but with Dio and Betray)

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Honestly, it's probably a good thing that Alice is down and out for this round, because otherwise there'd be no possible choice except Betray. Although in that situation, Alice would know that Sigma would only pick Betray, so she'd just pick Betray as well, so that her points wouldn't fall.

In short, the only way for our points to rise at all in this situation is for Alice to be incapacitated.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

NextTime000 posted:

not like that has stopped him in the past (I just imagined :moreevil: but with Dio and Betray)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

This is probably the best thing to come from Dio being a hateful jerk. :allears:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I'm torn. With the hat like that it looks like a fedora, but if you made it taller it would look like Professor Layton.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nice. Now all we need is a Luna smiley constantly pressing "ALLY".

(Luna's always picked Ally so far, right?)

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Poll's closed at a very nice round number. Ally wins.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

DaveWoo posted:

So far, yes.

Pringles Monster
Nov 1, 2012

DaveWoo posted:

Nice. Now all we need is a Luna smiley constantly pressing "ALLY".

So like this?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

71% of 400 voters chose to Ally.

Results will be displayed in the warehouse.
Thank you for your participation.
Ambidex Gates now opening.

Okay.

Please direct your attention to the results screen.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Feb 1, 2014

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
So, hey, remember how I said this was the "Alice is a hateful jerkface path" back after the first vote?

This is why. :argh:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 30, 2014

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ahahaha I love this part. FUUUUUUCK YOUUUU says the game as it points to its title.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

:munch:

Well, thread?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

But she's unconscious what the heck? :stonk:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
This is what you get for trusting Luna.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

She faked being out of it and snuck into her polling booth when nobody was looking?

EDIT: Also I love how literally everyone betrayed everyone else - not that Tenmyouji and Phi can be blamed for it, since they're both at a 1.

• Locked thread