Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

That hat is stupid and made me hate him the first time I saw him. The medicine blackmail was just icing on the cake.

What is it with the characters in this game being the biggest assholes?

Well technically, we betray people exactly 50% of the time, so we're not much better. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
We can't forget that the dead woman was found in Luna's AB room. She didn't move the container herself, but that's still suspicious. The dead woman was killed with a Myrmidon-branded knife.

She's had some medical training, but isn't a medical doctor. Maybe she's a geneticist? Say, one working for an evil organization? (How much medical training do they get? Probably not a lot.)

I doubt that the Myrmidons, "a bunch of thugs who are trying to destroy or dismantle most of human civilization" are unconnected with Radical-6, a never-heard-of-before virus that has allegedly wiped out 60% of the planet by making people commit suicide.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

We can't forget that the dead woman was found in Luna's AB room. She didn't move the container herself, but that's still suspicious. The dead woman was killed with a Myrmidon-branded knife.

She's had some medical training, but isn't a medical doctor. Maybe she's a geneticist? Say, one working for an evil organization? (How much medical training do they get? Probably not a lot.)

I doubt that the Myrmidons, "a bunch of thugs who are trying to destroy or dismantle most of human civilization" are unconnected with Radical-6, a never-heard-of-before virus that has allegedly wiped out 60% of the planet by making people commit suicide.

Clover did confront Luna about something in our first route after presumably discovering the relocated room trick, perhaps it was specifically about whether she worked for the Myrmidons?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
But if she was actually trying to hide being an evil whatchyamacallit why not just go the simpler route and just say "yes" to being a doctor? If you're trying to be covert and someone hands you a plausible cover story, you'd latch on right away instead of saying "no, not really". I get more of the vibe of a technicality rather than a direct lie - sort of the same way a web designer would say "not quite" to being a programmer due to technicalities, but not really explain it farther since the difference isn't important or significant enough to most people.

I think I side with the geneticist argument - maybe she was a researcher (or cloning technician or who knows what specific branch of med stuff) working with some group that the Myrms wanted to kidnap, or maybe she was working with them in the first place and was captured by Zero. Or, hell, maybe Zero is the Myrm this time or is some outside force that took over their cloning base to stop Brother/Left/etc from creating an army, which could explain the bombs? Lots of possibilities open up with the introduction of the new third party

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Evidently, Alice's sob story is not resonating; 27% of 291 respondents want to betray Alice even earlier. The next most popular option - 10 points behind - was betraying Luna.

Don't worry, Phi. We're not making that mistake again.

Good people die.

999 OST: [Imaginary]

Listen in: [English/Japanese]

I guess I should say thanks.
So... uh... thanks.

Aw, c'mon. You don't need to do that.
I just made the obvious choice.

Obvious...?

Well, I'm sure Alice chose "betray".
That meant we pretty much had to choose "betray", right?

I guess you could say I just know.

Are you making fun of me?

Maybe...

We're about to announce the results!

Let's go.
We'll find out if you made the right choice.

All right.

[Music fades out]

Everybunny directs their attention to the monitor...

:toot: Our first successful betrayal!

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
OH COME ON, VLR. That is just cheating. She literally allies in every first round except the one where you ally with her. What. Just. What?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Oh man, :swoon: the reactions to this are going to be beautiful

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
... What the hell? Didn't Alice Betray us when we did this scenario before?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I... Yeah... To avoid the elephant in the room completely, I did miss Zero Jr - been way too long even though at this point it feels more like a cameo than anything

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Haha I love this game.

First time I got to this I ended up doing a double take and grabbing at my head in disbelief.

DaveWoo posted:

... What the hell? Didn't Alice Betray us when we did this scenario before?

Yep!

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Oh come the hell on :argh:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Schrodinger's treacherous bitch.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Now I'm not even mad about the choice I wanted losing. Y'all certainly got your wish, you betrayed the gently caress out of her. :allears:

Vil posted:

Schrodinger's treacherous bitch.

Stop getting so upset about a videogame character, holy poo poo.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Curse you Fedule, and your obsession with cliffhangers!

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Welp.

Unless they pull a silly morphogenetic field twist where your decisions in the AB game, despite all logic, are actually affecting those of your opponents, this game just turned real dumb.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

HMS Boromir posted:

Welp.

Unless they pull a silly morphogenetic field twist where your decisions in the AB game, despite all logic, are actually affecting those of your opponents, this game just turned real dumb.

You'll note that Sigma said "he just knew" that Alice would pick Betray. Given the plot-lock system where he plucks knowledge from other routes out of thin air... This is clearly a plot point.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
So what morphogenetic weewoo accounts for this? Sigma happened to subconsciously suggest to Alice that she change her vote to his advantage (in this path and this path only)?

Keep in mind, this isn't a matter of him having extra information, it's a matter of his choice affecting another choice with no exchange of information other than the possibility of Alice receiving something from Sigma - but something that causes her to choose wrong.

EDIT: VVV I didn't even vote. I'm annoyed because the game is being inconsistent and either it's going to be unexplained or it's going to be really convoluted about it. I eagerly await being proven wrong, I suppose.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 10, 2014

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Man I don't know why you guys are even angry. You said you wanted to betray her and you got your wish, now you're mad because she picked ally this time? Hell you double betrayed her because she picked ally. I don't see the issue here.

(Well ok I do see the issue but discussing it would be spoiler territory.)

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
I'm more shocked that Dio picked Ally. What the gently caress is going on here, VLR?

e: apparently he did that the first time, too. Evidently I'm just dumb.

GeneralYeti fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 10, 2014

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

GeneralYeti posted:

I'm more shocked that Dio picked Ally. What the gently caress is going on here, VLR?

He picked Ally last time we took this route too. That didn't change.

Edit: Clearly he's in cahoots with Luna.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

GeneralYeti posted:

He did that last time through the Alice path too. The only votes that changed were ours and Alice's.

Also, this caught me by surprise on my playthrough too. I started when this LP was partway down the Alice path we just took, so I went in going "okay, I know what happens: Luna allies, Ten betrays, Alice betrays, so I'll play accordingly and betray Ten and Alice". Alice was my first route, so I betrayed her and was all "ha, take that, gently caress your... betrayal...? oh, huh, that's weird".

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Reminder that the beginning of the Cyan path had a lot of premonitions and talk about them where the other two sides didn't - I wouldn't be surprised if this is finally the path that gets super into the morphogenetic fuckery that 999 had.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

You guys wanted to betray Alice.

You got exactly what you wished for! Was it worth it? :unsmigghh:

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Oh god-loving-drat you, game. :argh: Even though I've seen it (another's person vote changing completely arbitrarily based on our choice) coming, this is still complete and utter bullshit. :sigh:, I think my enjoyement of the plot has just dropped considerably. I really hoped you'd turn out to be better, game.

Despite Alice choosing to Ally I still don't feel bad for the decision :colbert:. This is still a net gain of four points for the group total over the alternative, making this AB game tie the first one we did for the best result. Congrats on the correct choice, fellow goons :toot:.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Color Printer posted:

You guys wanted to betray Alice.

You got exactly what you wished for! Was it worth it? :unsmigghh:
Yes. She betrayed us last time. :feelsgood:

Changing the others' vote to "you're always wrong" is still a lovely gimmick though.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I'm starting to really wish I could play this game myself if only so I can experience it without the thread being super whiny between updates.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

HMS Boromir posted:

So what morphogenetic weewoo accounts for this? Sigma happened to subconsciously suggest to Alice that she change her vote to his advantage (in this path and this path only)?

Keep in mind, this isn't a matter of him having extra information, it's a matter of his choice affecting another choice with no exchange of information other than the possibility of Alice receiving something from Sigma - but something that causes her to choose wrong.

EDIT: VVV I didn't even vote. I'm annoyed because the game is being inconsistent and either it's going to be unexplained or it's going to be really convoluted about it. I eagerly await being proven wrong, I suppose.

Yeah, I mean, the game has some glaring issues, but wait until everything plays out to start drawing lines in the sand.

E: When the gently caress did Dio pick Ally, I don't remember that at all. :stare:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Pierzak posted:

Yes. She betrayed us last time. :feelsgood:

Changing the others' vote to "you're always wrong" is still a lovely gimmick though.

I wanted to see Alice properly betrayed. :colbert:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Welcome to Virtue's Last Reward.

But seriously you guys at least give the game the benefit of the doubt and see where it's going before you whine about it.

There will be plenty of time for complaints later.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

If you didn't think this game was going to take as many opportunities as it could to gently caress with you I really don't know what to tell you. But yeah, maybe you should wait a bit before exploding everywhere about this new development that's apparently really lovely.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

HMS Boromir posted:

The best theory I can some up with is that Alice has access to the same "morphogenetic weewoo" that Sigma does. She picked Ally because, in another timeline, she saw Sigma picking Ally.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

flatluigi posted:

I'm starting to really wish I could play this game myself if only so I can experience it without the thread being super whiny between updates.

You're being super whiny about people being super whiny.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

flatluigi posted:

Goons getting mad at a fictional character in a video game is the best part of this thread. :colbert:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Penakoto posted:

You're being super whiny about people being super whiny.

Oh yeah? Well you're being whiny about someone being whiny about someone being whiny :smug:

wait a minute...

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

DaveWoo posted:

The best theory I can some up with is that Alice has access to the same "morphogenetic weewoo" that Sigma does. She picked Ally because, in another timeline, she saw Sigma picking Ally.

I think this is a good line of thought. Although I would put it another way: why is it fair for Sigma's decision to change randomly based on the whims of dozens of goons that don't even exist in his fictional world, while it's not fair for Alice's decision to change based on the same? It's not like Sigma doesn't have his own pre-defined personality. So why is he the only one with true agency, while everyone else is supposed be some kind of deterministic decision-making machine? What makes him special?

Edit: This is the same sort of media-based deconstruction as 999. Who are we controlling?

Clarste fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 10, 2014

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Alice is Zero :smug:

Also, calling it now: Alice uses the "If I picked Betray you'd have picked Ally to play the innocent victim" line of defense.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
:psyduck: What the gently caress Alice. What the gently caress. Also, how the gently caress.

The only thing that changed was one unobserved button push, so I'm at a complete loss for reasonable theories. My unreasonable theories are as follows:

1. While in the AB rooms in this round, Zero offered to tell her what Sigma presses and lied in both timelines, hence her assumption he'd betray.

2. Clover's accessing the morphogenic fields and feeding her info... but having Sigma influenced by us outside of the timeline is making her predictions inaccurate.

So far, the only people we haven't seen lose points are K, Dio, and Quark, mostly because they always betray unless prevented by outside circumstances and whatever went on in Cyan Route Round One. Phi's lost points, but it's been Sigma's fault every last time. She only allies if its a guaranteed two points, which happens relatively often with her.

So those four are pretty consistently self-serving. Likewise, Clover's pretty betrayal-oriented. She's allied exactly once, and she was dead at that point. Luna's always allied, making Sigma, Ten, and Alice the wild cards.

Sigma can be explained due to being run by goon committee. As far as I can tell, Ten either tends to ally by default and betray under special circumstances, like being at 1 BP, pairing up with Dio, or whatever the gently caress went on in Yellow Round One. Or he tends to betray by default and allies under special circumstances like being set up against Quark... or K, for whatever reason. Maybe he's close to pre-amnesia K and Quark's a K clone. Or he just doesn't want to get on K's bad side because he's a big hulking armor man.

And of course nobody knows what the gently caress's up with Alice.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Regy Rusty posted:

At least give the game the benefit of the doubt and see where it's going before you whine about it.

There will be plenty of time for complaints later.

The objection is not that it unexpectedly makes us look bad. The objection is that it's betraying the narrative. If the game treats its own events as arbitrary, then effectively the writers are saying "screw you sucker, everything you do is utterly meaningless."

There are only three rock-solid rules of writing narrative:

Don't bewilder the reader.
Don't bore the reader.
Don't cheat the reader.

Break any one of those, and you stand a good risk of losing that reader, possibly for life.

Revising events like this is cheating the reader colossally and, surprise surprise, a lot of people feel angry and betrayed.

I don't give a flying gently caress if there's some hand-wavey plot coupon nonsense later that the writers use as an excuse; that's utterly irrelevant. Cheat the narrative, and you declare that your story is lovely.

Life is just too short to waste time on lovely stories.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Okay, people? Let's please not have any posting about posting about posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Clarste posted:

I think this is a good line of thought. Although I would put it another way: why is it fair for Sigma's decision to change randomly based on the whims of dozens of goons that don't even exist in his fictional world, while it's not fair for Alice's decision to change based on the same? It's not like Sigma doesn't have his own pre-defined personality. So why is he the only one with true agency, while everyone else is supposed be some kind of deterministic decision-making machine? What makes him special?

Edit: This is the same sort of media-based deconstruction as 999. Who are we controlling?

My main issue with Alice changing her mind when we change ours is that the illusion of free will is destroyed. You can pick either thing, but Alice will always pick betray when we ally, and will always ally when we betray. There can never be a scenario in which we both ally because that would just work out too smoothly. (At least I'd assume so because there is no third path.)

If Alice had the ability to change her mind, then this should be an option: Keep picking ally with Alice until she does, too.

edit: If there is someone who influences her decision based on ours like Alopex suggests, then this issue would of course be resolved.

And More fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 10, 2014

• Locked thread