Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

VLR OST: [Strain]

286 votes by 253 people later, we have; 70 for Alice, 97 for Clover and 119 for Phi. So it looks like we'll be agreeing with Alice's suggestion and taking Luna and Phi through the red door.

I don't have any problems with it.

Then we're all set.
Let's go, everybody!

Nine... Eight... Seven...

K, Quark and Alice headed for the green door, while Tenmyouji, Dio and Clover ran toward the blue one.

My feet slapped against the hard metal of the warehouse floor and Luna, Phi and I ran to the red Chromatic Door, and the next stage of the Nonary Game.

Two... One... Zero.
Chromatic Doors closing.

[Music fades out]

VLR OST: [Placidity]

Listen in: [English/Japanese]

All three doors seem to be locked.

It looks like the thing next to the number nine door...

It's got a lever...

Try pulling it, Sigma.

Why should I--

It might be dangerous.
Maybe it'll trigger an explosion? Or possibly it shocks you when you pull it? Who knows.

There's nothing on either side, is there?

What's that supposed to mean?

Ah, sorry for the confusion: I was talking about your breasts.

Guh... It's called dressing modestly! I'll have you know I'm a C cup!

If you're a C cup, I'm packing twelve inches!

...What?

It sounded like you two might take a while, so I pulled the lever.
Is that okay?

The others are still shut tight.

Well, we should get going anyway.

Yeah.

Yup.

[Music fades out]

VLR OST: [Sinisterness]

Listen in: [English/Japanese]

It looks like some kind of control room...

Maybe a generator?

We need cards with the moon on them for the next AB Game, right?

Yeah.
They're probably in this room somewhere.

Then let's get started!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klaphark
Mar 10, 2013

Fedule posted:

There's nothing on either side, is there?

What's that supposed to mean?

Ah, sorry for the confusion: I was talking about your breasts.

Guh... It's called dressing modestly! I'll have you know I'm a C cup!

If you're a C cup, I'm packing twelve inches!
:ughh:
Sometimes you test me game.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

klaphark posted:

The main characters in this series never miss a chance to be lewd. It's almost like they're sexually frustrated 20-somethings.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

maswastaken posted:

The main characters in this series never miss a chance to be lewd. It's almost like they're sexually frustrated 20-somethings.

Is this supposed to be ironic, I can't tell.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
That Luna pose is adorable.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Lettuce Play Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward: If you're a C cup, I'm packing twelve inches!

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

klaphark posted:

Nothing in this game can possibly be as awkward as June and Junpei's elevator talk.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Super Jay Mann posted:

Nothing in this game can possibly be as awkward as June and Junpei's elevator talk.

oh dear christ don't remind me.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Y'all forgotten about this from way way way back? :v:

Fedule posted:

She's right. If you don't everything down there is going to get wet.

...Huh? Wait, what?

I said, everything down there is going to get wet.

(...)

(...I approve)

Sigma is a total perv, although the "C cup" scene kind of takes the cake for directness, doesn't it...

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Fedule posted:

286 votes by 253 people

I still say this is probably my favorite part of the LP. Zero Jr wouldn't stand for such madness!

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

Sentient Data posted:

I still say this is probably my favorite part of the LP. Zero Jr wouldn't stand for such madness!

33 people must really hate Alice.

Putnopvut
May 18, 2007

Give me some money
Or just one really dedicated person.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I thought the teasing banter was kinda cute actually.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Yeah, it's a little awkward, but it's not like it's super creepy or anything worth getting upset over. Hell, Alice's outfit is worse than all the game's perverted dialog combined.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I mean, like Junpei, Sigma is a young. It's dumb but I kind of like that he's a bit of a ponce.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I thought the teasing banter was kinda cute actually.

I think it would actually be better while playing too, because it seems like a game you can get intensely invested in - and that kind of out-of-place dialogue slaps you a bit and reminds you that it's just a game. Releases the tense atmosphere a bit.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Glad to see this is back. Didn't think it was a dead thread, but still.

Luna, still pretty great. Threads' still pretty overly sensitive.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
I like how the narration points out that they carry on like that for a while. Poor Luna. :allears:

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Alopex posted:

I like how the narration points out that they carry on like that for a while. Poor Luna. :allears:
I think that was my favorite part of the update, too.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

quote:

Am i the only one who loves this expression? :3:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Have we been through this door before on other playhtroughs?

I'm wondering if a different path opens depending on who pulls the lever.

DWK
Sep 18, 2009

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

No, you're not. Luna is my favourite character at the moment. She seems to be the only one who is interested in working as a team and getting out of the nonary game.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

No, that expression and Luna in general being all :3: and adorable is assumed obvious. Of course, in this game's context it means she's really a horrible person and probably Zero.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

Glazius posted:

Have we been through this door before on other playhtroughs?

I'm wondering if a different path opens depending on who pulls the lever.

Do you mean the red door, or the door opened by the lever? The Laboratory was through the red door, but through a different door from the one we opened.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Pierzak posted:

No, that expression and Luna in general being all :3: and adorable is assumed obvious. Of course, in this game's context it means she's really a horrible person and probably Zero.

Or that she dies a hundred more times. GOOD PEOPLE DIE. :smith:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

It's the best. I was wondering how it'd look in a 999-style drawn sprite.

So I made one. Just basically drew it over the screenshot. Not a particularly difficult feat but it doesn't look so bad, I guess.

I considered doing the breathing animation too for all of five seconds and then gave up.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

tiistai posted:

It's the best. I was wondering how it'd look in a 999-style drawn sprite.

So I made one. Just basically drew it over the screenshot. Not a particularly difficult feat but it doesn't look so bad, I guess.

I considered doing the breathing animation too for all of five seconds and then gave up.

That's pretty good! The shading works on her clothes... but not so much on her face and hair.

After AA5 came along and showed the world what "sprites" in the New Console Generation are supposed to look like, I hoped that ZE3 would be able to pull off something similar if it got some budget behind it. Now, of course, that looks unlikely, and if ZE3 does happen it'll be done on the cheap and probably look a lot more like 999 then AA5.

As long as it looks better than VLR though, I think we'll all be happy.

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

Fedule posted:

As long as it looks better than VLR though, I think we'll all be happy.

As long as it even exists, I'll be happy.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Gandalf21 posted:

As long as it even exists, I'll be happy.

It could be drawn in crayon, for all I care.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Drawn in crayon would actually be pretty neat!

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I want to see this just to know how Uchikoshi will weave it into the narrative.

xxlicious
Feb 19, 2013
That 999-Luna looks super pretty!

I think for VN-style games like this, developers should stick to 2D sprites for budgetary reasons (and also because why go to the effort of making 3D animations when 2D sprites can convey just as much or even more personality and style? - see: Dangan Ronpa, original Ace Attorney). Maybe they wouldn't be having funding problems right now if they'd stuck to a cheaper way of making sprites.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Aren't sprites typically more expensive than using 3D models anyway? Especially if you're implementing any sort of animation?

E: vvv Yeah I don't think I can go back to sprites in AA after how well they nailed the conversion to 3D. It's just stunning to look at and affords a much greater degree in freedom in the type of silly cartoonish animations they could pull off.

Super Jay Mann fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 4, 2014

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide

xxlicious posted:

That 999-Luna looks super pretty!

I think for VN-style games like this, developers should stick to 2D sprites for budgetary reasons (and also because why go to the effort of making 3D animations when 2D sprites can convey just as much or even more personality and style? - see: Dangan Ronpa, original Ace Attorney). Maybe they wouldn't be having funding problems right now if they'd stuck to a cheaper way of making sprites.

The flaw with this argument is that Ace Attorney 5 looks absolutely amazing and would be worse off for having sprites.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I find it funny that people still think that sprites are cheaper than 3D models. If you're working at a very low resolution, maybe, but either way, 3D models only have a big initial cost of making and rigging the model, and animations (at least, VN style animations) cost barely anything after that, while sprites have cost associated with each unique animation frame.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I find it funny that people still think that sprites are cheaper than 3D models. If you're working at a very low resolution, maybe, but either way, 3D models only have a big initial cost of making and rigging the model, and animations (at least, VN style animations) cost barely anything after that, while sprites have cost associated with each unique animation frame.

But they're 2D! That means they're cheaper! :v:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

This is good and pretty cute. :3:

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Be right back, busy redrawing 999 and VLR scenes to fit ZE3's hypothetical engine. You guys like stick figures, right?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ZE3 will all be camcorder video of Uchikoshi playing with dolls and doing the voices himself.

xxlicious
Feb 19, 2013
Eh, I was thinking more about non-animated 2D sprites, but okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Well, even if the 2D sprites don't blink or breathe or anything, each and every separate pose is its own piece of artwork.

• Locked thread