Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Clarste posted:

Anyway, we have to vote Ally. We promised.

I've made no promises. Luna's got our back, it'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

GilliamYaeger posted:

Well according to him, he hauls junk around for a living. That probably involves lifting a lot of heavy things.

Underneath that button-up shirt is a hulking set of pecs and abs that would make any Grandpa Video star weep in shame. Tenmyouji's ending is just him ripping off his shirt, followed by an anguished, despair-laden scream from the onlooking Zero Jr. and a series of antimatter explosions across the facility.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Mar 13, 2014

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Also, punching someone in the gut is a good way to render them incapable of fighting back for a short bit, regardless of the attacker's strength.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Phi spent the good part of our first game expounding us on all the reasons why we should betray and now you're telling me that when she says she's going to ally (and in fact, she never actually said she would ally too, just that she wanted Sigma to) that you're going to trust her?

Betray betray betray.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Voting Ally is the correct choice because it has the highest potential for maximum drama. :colbert:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I say Ally because Phi has not yet screwed over Sigma, and this is a prime situation for her to do so. I am curious to see what she does here.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

I don't know if it's just because I've missed the links but it feels like forever since I heard Chill and Rigor. It's definitely my absolute favorite song so far.

I voted Ally. Phi has her suspicious and odd moments but so far she hasn't actually given me a reason to dislike her.

evilspacehopper
Oct 10, 2012

Hinawa remembered in death as she was in life: endlessly eating birds.
I don't want to put Sigma in a world of hurt, sounds painful.

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

I propose an alliance. What's the worst that can happen? :razz:

Bliss Authority fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Mar 13, 2014

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.
Just noticed that some lines (ellipses?) are missing:

Fedule posted:

I found a manual on the floor over there.
It says that this machine doesn't really use electricity in a conventional way...

Those tubes use some kind of special liquid to transmit electricity.
Actually it's pretty complicated...

Fedule posted:

That's about the size of it.

You don't need to worry about Alice.
I'll keep a good eye on her, I promise. Now get moving!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So. If we do betray, worst-case scenario, we get to the elevator up with a couple of murderers.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I can't really put my finger on why, but I really liked 999 more. Something about it felt more personal and intimate. Maybe because it just felt a lot more like a horror game?

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!

Austrian mook posted:

I can't really put my finger on why, but I really liked 999 more. Something about it felt more personal and intimate. Maybe because it just felt a lot more like a horror game?

It had more urgency and fear to it. The ticking clock elements, the very early death.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Austrian mook posted:

In 999, we pretty much see the moment the 9th Man's life ends. The only time we see dead bodies is when Junpei is about to die himself, which raises the tension.

So far, whenever we see bodies in this game, it's nothing more than a vote affecter.

There's also the matter of 999 putting the cast in an environment that was presumed to be falling apart, while VLR puts them in an apparently stable environment where they can get buzzed if they so choose.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

In 999, we pretty much see the moment the 9th Man's life ends. The only time we see dead bodies is when Junpei is about to die himself, which raises the tension.

So far, whenever we see bodies in this game, it's nothing more than a vote affecter.

There's also the matter of 999 putting the cast in an environment that was presumed to be falling apart, while VLR puts them in an apparently stable environment where they can get buzzed if they so choose.

The early drama with Snake was really great as well.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Austrian mook posted:

Mostly (as observed above) this is down to the very immediate threats and the constant reminders thereof - the sinking ship and the gut-bombs (even if both of those things were lies) - both of which were very directly and very forcibly introduced early on in the plot. This is less of a factor in VLR where the big threat as imposed by Zero is being trapped in the facility - the threat of death comes from the other players.

It's also partially down to the reduced gore factor which came at the request of the publishers - you'll note that even in the Darkest Timeline where everyone except Sigma, Phi and possibly maybe Quark is dead the scenery is miles cleaner than in 999 and Sigma's internal monologue is more about shock and adrenaline than how everyone looks like lasagne and vividly describing the smell.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I think it depends on what you like the most about these games. I'm much more interested in the sci-fi plot and overarching mysteries than the atmosphere, so I like VLR better.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

quote:

It's also partially down to the reduced gore factor which came at the request of the publishers - you'll note that even in the Darkest Timeline where everyone except Sigma, Phi and possibly maybe Quark is dead the scenery is miles cleaner than in 999 and Sigma's internal monologue is more about shock and adrenaline than how everyone looks like lasagne and vividly describing the smell.

Man, and I *just* started cooking pasta...

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

Glazius posted:

So. If we do betray, worst-case scenario, we get to the elevator up with a couple of murderers.

*best-case scenario

My theory is that if we betray the game will also have Phi betray and then the plot arc will drag on for a while. On the other hand if we Ally most likely someone with 6 points will betray and escape, killing everyone else and forcing us back to the other branch. I don't care who it is, I just want to see what happens when someone escapes.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I know we'll regret this but let's go ahead and ally, Phi hasn't yet had her chance to jump on the 'punish Sigma for being a decent human being' bandwagon yet.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
Man, Dio got sucker-punched. I don't even care what happens now, I'm in such a good mood.

Ally

D3m3
Feb 28, 2013

Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?

Fedule posted:

Mostly (as observed above) this is down to the very immediate threats and the constant reminders thereof - the sinking ship and the gut-bombs (even if both of those things were lies) - both of which were very directly and very forcibly introduced early on in the plot. This is less of a factor in VLR where the big threat as imposed by Zero is being trapped in the facility - the threat of death comes from the other players.

I've also always thought, and no one will agree with me, probably... But, while it was a little clumsy, in retrospect, I feel like the June-Junpei elements of 999 actually did add something. It gave the stakes of the game an emotional element, beyond just life or death, and it did so pretty early. Sigma's a more entertaining character than Junpei, but at the same time, I never really found a place I could latch onto him emotionally in this main stretch of game, in terms of caring about his outcome (except where he's me-via-proxy). In general (and I'll admit, there are some noticeable exceptions, and I love those bits and characters), I find VLR comes at its plot with just a bit more emotional remove, though I think my attempts at explaining how so, even here, come a little short. That's not to say it's bad... But I got really bothered by this feeling when I first noticed it, and I've never quite worked it out.

TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012

Fedule posted:

In the middle of the *blank*, like an island of *blank*,
were *blank*.
They were a *blank* tangle of *blank* and *blank*,
with too much *blank* and chaos for me to tell *blank* was
*blank*.
Had they *blank*? Or *blank*? I couldn't tell. All the *blank*...too much *blank*.

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

GetWellGamers posted:

Man, Dio got sucker-punched. I don't even care what happens now, I'm in such a good mood.

Ally

Seconding that Diopunching is the highlight of this LP so far.

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011
I got a strange feeling that the right answer is betray. Likely, Phi is going to betray too, so neither of us get points.

That said, I went with Ally.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I chose Betray the first time I played this game and I'm voting for it now because hey if it's a bad end we can just reload and pick the other choice, right?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

D3m3 posted:

I've also always thought, and no one will agree with me, probably... But, while it was a little clumsy, in retrospect, I feel like the June-Junpei elements of 999 actually did add something. It gave the stakes of the game an emotional element, beyond just life or death, and it did so pretty early. Sigma's a more entertaining character than Junpei, but at the same time, I never really found a place I could latch onto him emotionally in this main stretch of game, in terms of caring about his outcome (except where he's me-via-proxy). In general (and I'll admit, there are some noticeable exceptions, and I love those bits and characters), I find VLR comes at its plot with just a bit more emotional remove, though I think my attempts at explaining how so, even here, come a little short. That's not to say it's bad... But I got really bothered by this feeling when I first noticed it, and I've never quite worked it out.

I can agree with this. Junpei/June stuff was a bit hamfisted in the first game prior to the True Ending, but it did establish an emotional connection. Here, the closest we have so far is Quark sleeping in a hospital bed while Dio threatens us to kill ourselves for the medicine.

And that's just one possible path out of how many?

TheObserver posted:

In the middle of the *blank*, like an island of *blank*,
were *blank*.
They were a *blank* tangle of *blank* and *blank*,
with too much *blank* and chaos for me to tell *blank* was
*blank*.
Had they *blank*? Or *blank*? I couldn't tell. All the *blank*...too much *blank*.

Does anyone else want Zero Escape Mad Libs now? :allears:

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010
Betray is the only choice. We must leave this wacky warehouse behind and become a hobo outside.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
We have to prove we are consistent in our assholery. Take the Starscream path and betray at every opportunity.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Alright, this poll's run its course, with another pretty great turnout (412!) and a nice 60/40 split in favour of Ally. This isn't the closest AB Game vote we've had but it's up there.

Also;

SingerOfW posted:

Just noticed that some lines (ellipses?) are missing:

Fixed and thanks.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 15, 2014

gameface
Nov 23, 2007

unfair posted:

*best-case scenario

My theory is that if we betray the game will also have Phi betray and then the plot arc will drag on for a while. On the other hand if we Ally most likely someone with 6 points will betray and escape, killing everyone else and forcing us back to the other branch. I don't care who it is, I just want to see what happens when someone escapes.

We've already seen one such path, actually. NGAE: ~/yellow/ally/red/ally sigma$ cd ../betray (Quark's Game Over) had K escaping and 'winning' the game.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

60% of 412 respondents favoured Allying with Phi.

Results will be displayed in the warehouse.
Thank you for your participation.
Ambidex Gates now opening.

VLR OST: [Portentousness]

Listen in: [English/Japanese]

Are you sure that was okay?

Yeah. What else was I gonna do? I promised.

It'll be fine. I'm sure Phi chose "ally" too.

Really?

C'mon, what's with you?
Do you not trust Phi?

Uh, let's just go have a look, shall we?
Why are we even talking about this? We'll know what happened in just a few seconds.

You're right. Let's go.

[Music fades out]

Please direct your attention to the results screen.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Welp. You're welcome, Phi.
I wonder if she'll have an explanation or just jump out the door.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
"Oh my god, K kept his word. Phew."

"Oh my god, Clover decided to be a decent person."

"Surely Phi won't--"

"PHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII :argh:"

unfair
Oct 6, 2012
Nice. Now we get to see if she's going to stick around and wait for anyone else to get 9 points too. Seems like that would be kind of risky, considering she could lose a point at any time and be out of luck.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Ahahaha, I loving knew it. All that rhetoric about being nice and having to work together, of course she'd stab us in the back the moment she can get out.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Oh hey the person who went to great lengths to tell you to always betray ended up betraying, what a shocking and unexpected development. :geno:

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Now we get to see if Phi comes out and calls us dumb, yay!

Interestingly, K kept his word, even though he could have just left if he had voted Betray and left.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
NOW IT IS STARSCREAM'S TIME TO SHINE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
This should be fun. I guess Phi's going to say it was only logical to betray. I bet she leaves. :allears:

• Locked thread