Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beru04
May 4, 2013

Stop making me realise things.

Sentient Data posted:

Wait a minute... You're telling me this disease will make me radical and I'm supposed to not want it?!

Seriously Lan-Alice, have you never wanted to be radical?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinus
Dec 20, 2008
Caught up with the thread, have to really thank Fedule for making it super easy to listen to my favorite parts again. Boss undertaking.

e: This is still going on right? Between Beru and my posts is a pretty big gap. I thought there'd be some speculation even when circumstances don't allow Fedule to post.

Blinus fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 27, 2014

Nagna Zul
Aug 9, 2008

Blinus posted:

Caught up with the thread, have to really thank Fedule for making it super easy to listen to my favorite parts again. Boss undertaking.

e: This is still going on right? Between Beru and my posts is a pretty big gap. I thought there'd be some speculation even when circumstances don't allow Fedule to post.

I'm still checking this thread every day, but things are looking grim given how Fedule has shown no signs of life in the past two weeks.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Nagna Zul posted:

I'm still checking this thread every day, but things are looking grim given how Fedule has shown no signs of life in the past two weeks.

You have an odd definition of "grim", given that he's been posting a fair amount in the FF general thread and recording stuff with me.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Still alive. Almost done with finals. Also other things. But totally not letting this go anywhere.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Fedule's gone way longer.

Blinus
Dec 20, 2008

Fedule posted:

Still alive. Almost done with finals. Also other things. But totally not letting this go anywhere.

Very cool, take your time. I hope my post didn't come across as rude impatience, was just wondering. <3

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I hoped to have this update up earlier, but every time I started typing my mind just started summarizing genetic algorithms or simulated annealing or explaining how Johnson's algorithm for all pairs shortest path search completes in O(nm log n) time and it just ended up being weird. Updating while studying for finals never works out well.

I'm done with finals!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

VLR OST: [Portentousness]

Listen in: [English/Japanese]

You're late. What were you doing?

Nothing...

When we arrived everyone else was already back.

Quark and Alice hadn't left, of course.

They were both sleeping soundly, any traces of the madness we'd seen earlier long gone.

Listen in: [English/Japanese]

You've seen the bomb in the control room?

Yeah, with our own eyes.

So what the hell should we do?
That makes three bombs...

They're bombs for God's sake.

Really...?

Remember what Alice said?

If you enter that password, the device should, well, deactivate.

You see it? Right here, there's a port.
If we can find the password input device, we just connect it here.
Then we can enter the password.

Whoa whoa, hold on a second.
That's great and all, but we need that password input device she was talking about.

Without that, we're still boned even if we did have the password.

Not a problem. We've resolved that issue.

Huh?

Show them.

I nodded, and pulled it out of my pocket.

Exactly.
We didn't have any idea what it was at first, but Phi figured it out.
After Clover left, we tested it.

Turned out I was right. It fit perfectly.

Couldn't get it to do anything, though.
We plugged in a couple random characters, but all we got was an error.

But... why was it in the control room?

Do you think Zero Sr. put it here for us?

That would suggest it was also Zero Sr. who set up the bombs.

Zero Sr. wants us to play the Nonary Game, right?
So why would he set bombs?

That doesn't make any sense.
Our bracelets already have poison in them.
If someone breaks a rule, all he has to do is activate their bracelet.

Yeah... You're right.

[Music fades out]

The person who set these bombs is one of us.

999 OST: [Trepidation]

Whether or not that person is also Zero Sr. isn't particularly relevant at the moment.
But what is relevant is that they know the deactivation password.
If we can figure out who that person is, and question them...

...We can get the password and turn the bombs off.

Exactly.
That would by my quick and easy method.

Which one of you set the bombs?

So we're going to be checking everyone.

Checking us...?

Yes.
Once they're set, the bombs are controlled by a remote.
It stands to reason that whoever set them has that remote.

So you're going to search us for it?

Yes.

But...

No buts.
If you refuse, that implicates you.
Do what I say, and you'll be fine, assuming you are actually innocent.

No reason to wait. Let's get started.
Anyone want to volunteer to go first? No?
All right. Let's see...

Huh?

You only need to search one person.

What? Why?

I... I know who did it.

The words were out of my mouth before I'd even realized I was saying them.

There's no way...

Yeah.

I met Phi's gaze and nodded, then turned away.

That person...

You did it!

Lock no. 09
Who planted the bomb?

Oh, you. Did you really think it would be that easy?

Well, we're officially in business now. The game has finally come out and admitted that all this jumping around timelines stuff is actually part of the plot, and acknowledged some of the craziness we've seen (especially Alice cheating at the AB Game back in round 1). They've basically made a game out of the idea of 999's Coffin Ending, except instead of some other person seeing all of these timelines and communicating with someone in one of them, we're actually jumping back and forth between them ourselves.

In case anyone's wondering, I estimate we're now over halfway - timewise, anyway - through all the game's content.

As you can see, we've busted through one Lock and gone straight on to another.

So... what now?

It's been a while (sorry) so I imagine this primer will be even more welcome than it usually is:

cd ~/magenta/ally/green/betray
Betray Luna after escaping the Gaulem Bay

cd ~/magenta/ally/red
After successfully allying with Luna, go through the Red door with Alice and Clover

cd ~/magenta/ally/blue
After successfully allying with Luna, go through the Blue door with Alice and K

cd ~/magenta/betray
Betray Luna after escaping the Lounge

cd ~/yellow/ally/green
After being betrayed by Tenmyouji, go through the Green door with Clover and Quark

cd ~/yellow/ally/blue
After being betrayed by Tenmyouji, go through the Blue door with Clover and Tenmyouji

cd ~/yellow/betray
Betray Tenmyouji after escaping the Infirmary

cd ~/cyan/betray/blue
After successfully betraying Alice, reject Alice's suggestion and insist on taking the Blue door with Luna and Alice

cd ~/cyan/betray/green
After successfully betraying Alice, reject Alice's suggestion and insist on taking the Green door with Luna and Clover

Fedule fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 29, 2014

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Okay, so the path to identifying the mad bomber is the same one where we got to talk to Alice and failed to find any long strings of numbers. That's what I'm getting from this anyway. Of course, we still haven't found any long strings of numbers since then so we're hosed anyway.

To elaborate, the images appear to be, in sequence:

• The cat book that we found in the crew quarters beyond the cyan door
  • Quark and Alice going apeshit, though I guess that happens all the time anyway
  • The cipher in the infirmary that we eventually see after going through the cyan door, allying with Alice (and getting betrayed) in the first AB game, then surviving the second AB game by betraying Alice
  • Alice on a bench in the botanical garden, explaining why she tried to betray us in the second AB game
  • Two of the images from Alice's backstory, that she tells before it comes up that she can't decode that one cipher without a long string of numbers

There's two images at the end that don't seem to fit, though.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 29, 2014

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Huh. I never hit this lock before. I would've figured that it would've come up before Sigma admitted to knowing who did it.

Really, though, I can't help but wonder if we should vote on whether or not we should allow Fedule to go to an ending path of his choice, just so we can possibly clear up some of the various plot locks.

Also

:objection:

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Okay, now the game's just trolling us.

Also, :objection:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Looks like Sigma has the bomber... cornered.

Also, preliminary voting results indicate that most goons following this seem to be in favor of ripping off the band-aid as soon as possible and going for the early Betray against Luna.

Blinus
Dec 20, 2008
Fedule, you are a gentleman and a scholar. This thread is so much fun, all the props to you.

I'm assuming that's a deliberate Ace Attorney reference, although giving the pointer finger does happen in a lot of mystery stories.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
The music immediately started playing in my head.

:objection:

Also, you're horrible monsters :colbert:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Blinus posted:

I'm assuming that's a deliberate Ace Attorney reference, although giving the pointer finger does happen in a lot of mystery stories.

The best part is that it can be both a cat pun and an Ace Attorney reference at the same time if you really want to stretch it. One of the best songs in Ace Attorney seems to be ripped off from the infamous Cheetahmen II's music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wgu_E0-5jyU

And I just want to agree with the thread, the LP has been a hell of a ride so far and the quality shows no sign of dipping - my hat's off to you

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Plot locks :argh:

Also it's about time you all decided to betray Luna. :colbert:

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Super Jay Mann posted:

Plot locks :argh:

Also it's about time you all decided to betray Luna. :colbert:

Holy crap, one of the "betray Luna" options is winning? Come on goons, don't do this, there are still other options, there's a perfectly betrayable Tenmyouji in the first round.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Oh crap I gotta throw the chart together. Oh gently caress I didn't update this path on there for a while. I'm slacking here.

Also yes, it's time to bite the goddamn bullet and betray Luna. You spineless goons :colbert:

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
I'm all for "do the latest branch available" which means second round betray Luna. Faster we get to the end of these branches the better, and maybe we can find a way to break a plot lock

Blinus
Dec 20, 2008
Has anyone decided on a 1 through 9 list as far as their fave/least-fave characters yet? 1 being fave, 9 being least fave?

I can't participate since I've played the game, but any readers who haven't wanna list them according to what you know? (Not counting Zero III, G-OLM, or the Old Woman).

beyondpowers
May 13, 2013

Blinus posted:

Has anyone decided on a 1 through 9 list as far as their fave/least-fave characters yet? 1 being fave, 9 being least fave?

I can't participate since I've played the game, but any readers who haven't wanna list them according to what you know? (Not counting Zero III, G-OLM, or the Old Woman).

Any list without G-OLM in it is automatically illegitimate.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

W.T. Fits posted:

Looks like Sigma has the bomber... cornered.

Also, preliminary voting results indicate that most goons following this seem to be in favor of ripping off the band-aid as soon as possible and going for the early Betray against Luna.

I think it'll be hilarious if morphogenetic fields kick in and Betraying Luna in the first round results in a double Betray.

Blinus
Dec 20, 2008

beyondpowers posted:

Any list without G-OLM in it is automatically illegitimate.

K, include G-OLM, and the old woman and Zero III if you wish.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I think it'll be hilarious if morphogenetic fields kick in and Betraying Luna in the first round results in a double Betray.

SPOILER FOR AN ACE ATTORNEY GAME: And in response Luna pulls a Dahlia Hawthorne on us. (Not really, just a joke)

Blinus fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 30, 2014

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Hahaha, wow. That's a loving great reference joke.
Anyway, I kind of love this game's metapuzzle. Having to go back and forth, running through various scenarios to get the information necessary to progress further in one scenario is a fantastic idea.

Blinus
Dec 20, 2008
Edit: Spoiler tags added because it implies someone will be alive and well in ZE3. Probably not necessary and doesn't actually spoil VLR, but just in case. Better safe than sorry.

Had a thought earlier. How awesome would it be if Hongou somehow cures his prosopagnosia in ZE3, but then immediately gets blinded before he can see anyone's face?

Blinus fucked around with this message at 14:19 on May 30, 2014

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. You know, after talking about being influenced by parallel timelines that's a really great way to follow things up.

Blinus
Dec 20, 2008
So there's a lack of speculation about who Sigma is accusing here. Anyone who hasn't played the game wanna make their guess, and why they think so?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I think it could be phi herself. She's starting this witchhunt, so someone has to get caught: but if she starts it early, and leads it, then she can plant it on someone.

But the key to actually solving it will probably involving eliminating everyone who couldn't have placed the bombs, and I don't know how she stacks up.

rudatron fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 30, 2014

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
A bunch of scenes with Alice flashed through. Isn't it obvious?

Blinus
Dec 20, 2008

Serious Frolicking posted:

A bunch of scenes with Alice flashed through. Isn't it obvious?

You think it's Alice then?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

When I saw the screenshot of Sigma pointing I was like "Wait, poo poo, do we actually know who set the bombs??? There's no loving way" and then I saw "It was YOU!"

I never ran smack into this plot lock when I played so I was momentarily surprised and confused.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Interesting. So a lot of the people that played the game ran through the chain of events where they found out the bomber before they went through this one. Every player's game is a unique experience then, because unless you're directly following someone else's order of doing things, you're probably doing things in a different order than everyone else, so you hit different plot locks, have circumstances like the Phi and the Alice situations, etc.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I bet he's accusing himself, knowing this game.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Spatula City posted:

Interesting. So a lot of the people that played the game ran through the chain of events where they found out the bomber before they went through this one. Every player's game is a unique experience then, because unless you're directly following someone else's order of doing things, you're probably doing things in a different order than everyone else, so you hit different plot locks, have circumstances like the Phi and the Alice situations, etc.

It's one of the great things about this game. The order which you play the routes in changes how you experience the story. I went left to right on the flowchart like this LP, but I stayed in one of the main three branches until I couldn't anymore before moving on to the next one (Only going back if I broke a lock). So by the time I got to the right side of the flowchart I was breaking most locks before I could be stopped by them.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Looks like I gotta keep the poll open a bit longer; it's a bit close.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

C. Everett Koop posted:

He's accusing the player.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Pierzak posted:

He's accusing the player.

In the 3DS verison his finger comes out of the screen to point at you.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

DarkHamsterlord posted:

In the 3DS verison his finger comes out of the screen to point at you.
That explains the 3d-afterimage on that screenshot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

C. Everett Koop posted:

That would be the ultimate feline pun.

• Locked thread