Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Ga gi gu ge go?

Blinus posted:

Like La Li Lu Le Lo? And there's a ZERO! And there was a SNAKE! It's a crossover! No wonder there's a lot of parrot exposition. :P
:golfclap:

More trivia: However, Japanese doesn't have a native "L" sound. :ssh:
It's approximated by their "R" sounds Ra Ri Ru Re Ro らりるれろ (which have a very slight trill, almost like a Spanish R).

Ramengank fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I believe (but am not positive) that it's a diphthong, a sound somewhere between R and L, but not quite either. It gets closer to one or the other depending on the dialect/accent, but it isn't decidedly one or the other.

At least, that's how I was taught.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
It's not a diphthong. It's a singular consonant. You can't have a diphthong between consonants, anyways. It's just a sound that exists somewhere in the space between r and l, as you said.

It's kinda this way with basically every sound in every language (especially the vowels) . There's not always an identical sound in your language, so transliteration can only approximate it.

Blinus
Dec 20, 2008

Ramengank posted:

More trivia: However, Japanese doesn't have a native "L" sound. :ssh:
It's approximated by their "R" sounds Ra Ri Ru Re Ro らりるれろ (which have a very slight trill, almost like a Spanish R).

In MGS, I believe La Li Lu Le Lo was used precisely because there was no native L sound, because whenever someone said it, they were actually saying 'The Patriots', but through Nanomachine-shenanigans, their brain said, like, a pre-recorded codename, La Li Lu Le Lo. The reason the writers chose a sound that they didn't have was because it fit thematically with an organization that must not be named.

Also, this has always been a random crazy theory, but whenever someone said La Li Lu Le Lo, at least in the English versions, it sounded like a separate audio file, making it sound even more 'pre-recorded'.

And that's all I'm gonna say about that, waaay off-topic here.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
It makes me wonder if this exchange between Emma and Raiden...

quote:

Emma: The alphabet... twenty-six letters, right? It could've been thirty
letters.
Emma: What if the 4 deleted letters were controlled by a program?
Raiden: Impossible.

... originally mentioned kana instead in the Japanese version.

La li lu le lo. Five sounds that don't exist in Japanese. :tinfoil:

Blinus
Dec 20, 2008

W.T. Fits posted:

It makes me wonder if this exchange between Emma and Raiden...

... originally mentioned kana instead in the Japanese version.

La li lu le lo. Five sounds that don't exist in Japanese. :tinfoil:

Seriously, look up any scene in MGS2 (Not sure about 4, can't remember that as well), and watch when anyone says La Li Lu Le Lo, especially the Ninja or Ames. It's like they recorded the full line, then just recording a dull, emotionless 'La Li Lu Le Lo' line alone, separately, denoted in the examples below in all caps and brackets. So for examples:

Ames's actor's recorded line: "You'll never escape the La Li Lu Le Lo."

Then, his actor just records a dull mundane, emotionless second audio file. "[LA LI LU LE LO]".

Then when editing the game, they stick the second recording over the first recording, and we get "You'll never escape the [LA LI LU LE LO]."

Listen to the line carefully, and there's just something slightly off between [LA LI LU LE LO] and the rest of the sentence, as though spliced together. I believe this was done intentionally, as it fits the fact that their brain is editing what they're saying with a programmed response.

Blinus fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 4, 2014

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.

Blinus posted:

Seriously, look up any scene in MGS2 (Not sure about 4, can't remember that as well), and watch when anyone says La Li Lu Le Lo, especially the Ninja or Ames. It's like they recorded the full line, then just recording a dull, emotionless 'La Li Lu Le Lo' line alone, separately, denoted in the examples below in all caps and brackets. So for examples:

Ames's actor's recorded line: "You'll never escape the La Li Lu Le Lo."

Then, his actor just records a dull mundane, emotionless second audio file. "[LA LI LU LE LO]".

Then when editing the game, they stick the second recording over the first recording, and we get "You'll never escape the [LA LI LU LE LO]."

Listen to the line carefully, and there's just something slightly off between [LA LI LU LE LO] and the rest of the sentence, as though spliced together. I believe this was done intentionally, as it fits the fact that their brain is editing what they're saying with a programmed response.

Is there a thread for crazy MGS theories? I ask because I'm insanely interested and also because this thread doesn't seem to be the best place to discuss these things.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Flaskraven posted:

Is there a thread for crazy MGS theories? I ask because I'm insanely interested and also because this thread doesn't seem to be the best place to discuss these things.

I don't know of one but I think you might be interested in this.

http://www.metagearsolid.org/reports_legacyofmgs2_1.html

It helped clarify a lot of things for me after I finished MGS2 for the first time, especially the character bios.

Blinus
Dec 20, 2008
I sincerely apologize for derailing, then apologizing, then derailing again when I coulda just gone to PM. No excuse other then I derped. So for real, no more MGS talk from me in this thread.

Apologies to Fedule.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Hey, this thread hadn't seen activity in a while? Feudle, is life and stuff going okay? Did something come up?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
The thread reached a plot lock.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Artix recently locked the Final Fantasy XIII thread and mentioned something about needing to get in contact with Fedule.

I guess his schedule became busy suddenly.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
This is the first stop in my official "I'm not dead" comeback tour. Some poo poo happened, then some other completely different poo poo happened right after and it was all very inconvenient, and its entirely possible that I stayed disappeared a few days longer and only came back because FFXIII was about to go on without me.

(2nd stop would be the FFXIII thread but that's locked so a shoutout will have to suffice. Hey, FFXIII/VLR fan intersection.)

Thread situation: I have two backlogged updates but they're kinda short and I'm still away from home, and even once I'm back I still have to record and write up an Escape and that's a pain. But I guess I've sat on them long enough so I'll post one tomorrow, I guess.

Not dead!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm relieved. Good luck with inconvenient poo poo happening, Fedule!

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I demand that you cease all death-related activities at once! :argh: (and welcome back)

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

theshim posted:

I demand that you cease all death-related activities at once! :argh:

RIP Let's Play of Good People Die

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Please disregard the fact that the title graphic is extremely wrong. I am so very tired right now and I will fix it later.

Since we had such a good time betraying Luna the second... I mean, first... I mean... you know what I mean... time around, we've opted to do it a first... I mean second... I mean... ah, drat it all.

Going back to Round 1 on the Magenta branch and betraying Luna was the runaway poll winner at 126 votes, with the closest option behind being doing the same to Tenmyouji in the Yellow branch, with 47 votes.

Sounds good.

Uh huh.

Worth reminding: This is the branch on which Phi mysteriously knows ahead of time that you die at 0 BP.

Well, we don't want to die, now, do we?

999 OST: [Imaginary]

Tenmyouji was left behind, his footsteps a slow, heavy plod.

What had happened to make him like that?

If our BP hits 0, do we really--

Listen in: [English/Japanese]

Well, you chose "betray" because of what I said, right?

Don't worry. You made the right choice.

You better not have lied to me so I'd choose "betray".

Well, Zero will tell you if I lied or not.

Zero...?

We're about to announce the results!

You'll see in a minute. Let's go, Sigma.

Hey! What do you mean, Zero's gonna tell me?
Hey! Phi! Hold on!
Damnit...

And so we move on to...

Fedule fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 20, 2014

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I mean seriously I'm not entirely sure how I made that mistake when it says Magenta right there on like the second line of the update. *sigh*

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Let the guilt trip commence :unsmigghh:

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
This is what you get, you terrible, terrible goons. I hope you're happy.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
Now there is literally nobody who isn't a betray away from death or escape. This is gonna be explosive. :unsmigghh:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
The least surprising result so far.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Hahaha, let's go through the next door with Luna. :getin:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

GeneralYeti posted:

This is what you get, you terrible, terrible goons. I hope you're happy.

Well hey, unless they let us go with Luna the next round, this is our last chance to Betray her when she's alive, right?

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I'm so glad we chose Betray.

It made a pretty pattern on the scoreboard!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wow, this is some dire scenario.

Blinus
Dec 20, 2008
Just wanted to say, since things are inconvenient for you at the moment, I think we can all understand when the wrong stuff pops up at the worst times. Thank you so much for continuing the thread even though it can't be easy, what with real life getting in the way. You have my deepest respect. :)

Edited to avoid a minor spoiler about our next choices.

Blinus fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jun 22, 2014

PZ Smeltzenseltzer
Feb 3, 2008

fortran
~*with style*~
Redacted.

PZ Smeltzenseltzer fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 23, 2014

Watsonia
Oct 3, 2013
Hey, I just wanted to say that I've been following this LP for over a year now - it's largely what made me get an account here, actually. After at least two years of convincing myself to spend the money I've finally caved and bought a 3DS, and VLR is the first game on my list.

Also, count me among the people who like the directory-style notation for each path. It's hard for me to think of some parts of the game in ways other than things like ~/magenta/ally/green/betray, and as a plus looking up the chmod documentation to see how it compares to plot lock-breaking means I actually remember how chmod works in the first place now.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I don't understand why you ended the update there instead of putting in the final two lines.

SIGMA: I... betrayed Luna.

GAME OVER

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010
Nothing comes out well when 3 people are at 1 BP.

Specially when Luna is one of them.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Luna had it coming

Blinus
Dec 20, 2008
Nothing to see here. Thanks Regy Rusty. :)

Blinus fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jun 26, 2014

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

A better place would be the Zero Escape thread in Games since people can post about the rest of the game there.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I meant to post this earlier but unfortunately Lowtax was betrayed by the DBAs and had to figure out how to catapult his consciousness through quantum time.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
VLR OST: [Eeriness]

Wh-Why did you and Phi d-do that...?

All we had to do was choose "ally" three times, and we could all escape together...
After this we only would have n-needed two more rounds and we would have all had 9 points...
But now we...

I hung my head.
There was no way I could look her in the eye and try to explain what I'd done.

What...?

There's a way to get out faster.
If you're successful twice with "betray", you'll get 3 points each time, which gives you 6.

That means you'll have 9 BP after the 2nd AB game.

I know that.
Is that why you chose "betray"? So you can escape before the rest of us?

Hey, don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to get out first or anything.

Just wanted to have a little leverage.

How is leverage supposed to help you?

Well, I was planning on getting out of here with everybody else any--

What were you thinking?!

I'm sorry Alice...
I didn't think you'd choose "ally"...

What?! You really think I'd betray you?!

Well, no, that's what I thought at first...

But K told you to choose "betray", didn't he?

Yes, I did. I was sure you would vote similarly.

Is that so? You never considered that we might choose to betray you?

What...?

Clover would never choose that, of course.

But what if I was your sole opponent?
I understand it might seem... strange of me to say this, but who would trust a man who hides his face?
If I were in your position, I would be quite certain my masked opponent would choose "betray".

Yes she was, but if I'd chosen to end an argument by force, do you think she would have had any chance?
I was certain you'd choose "betray" for that very reason.

So that was why you did it?

Yes.

After he explained his thinking to me, I thought he had a good point...

It's all right. I understand.

I'm so sorry...

I apologize. This is very unfortunate.

The past is the past, there's no point complaining about it.
I'll just have to try and get those points back in the next AB Game...

Of note: While the outcomes for the other six players don't change in this path, what does change is the order in which Sigma pays attention to their arguments. We only caught the resolution of this one last time because Sigma was distracted by Dio, Quark and Tenmyouji, while this time, it's the other way around.

That was when I finally noticed Dio, Quark and Tenmyouji.

This group of lines is identical to before.

It looked like things hadn't gone as planned for the other teams either.
Nonetheless, we all seemed to have reached some sort of truce.

And so we sit through this spiel for the fifth time. On this go-round, it's of course Alice, Tenmyouji and Luna who get called out as being maybe about to die - plus of course Zero pokes Phi about knowing the rules in advance.

As was the case with the ally/betray branches on the cyan path, the groups colours remain the same. So, Sigma and Alice are the Cyan Pair, Clover is the Cyan Solo, Tenmyouji and Quark are the Magenta Pair, K is the Magenta Solo, Dio and Phi are the Yellow Pair and Luna is the Yellow Solo.

Anyway, lectures are given, Sigma mopes, and then we do the rounds for the second time for the second time. Or is it the first time for the fifth time? Depends how you categorize, I suppose.

999 OST: [Riddle and Puzzle]

In the Lounge, Dio and Alice discover the astronomy magazine and the Radical-6 article and realize that no one knows the date.

Okay. I think I'll go look around a bit more, then. I've already spent plenty of time here anyway.

Alice and I are going to stick around. You know, just in case you missed something.
Don't really feel like I can trust your eyes...

Whatever.

In the Infirmary, K, Quark and Phi wonder about the old woman, and K shows them the lock in his armour.

VLR OST: [Anxiousness]

In the Crew Quarters, Sigma wonders what the deal is with Quark and Tenmyouji, then Luna and Clover comes in and Clover tells them about how she totally isn't a secret agent.

What...? Time to...

It's past time! We gotta go!

Ya think?

Oh...
I guess we'll just have to continue this later. We need to get back to the doors!

poo poo... I guess you're right. Let's go!

VLR OST: [Strain]

Cut to the group arriving just as the doors open.

S-Sorry.

An apology is not going to cut it! I can't go through that door without you!
Zero said we'd get penalized if we didn't go through the primary door before it closed.
Are you trying to kill me?

N-No! Of course not.
I thought you didn't need a partner to get through the primary doors, though...

Are you kidding me?! Think it through, Sigma!

Now what?!
Now you're stuck is what!
Without the right number of bracelets, the secondary door won't open! Do you understand?!

There'd be no way to open either door, huh?
Man, that sounds even worse than getting your lungs turned off...

As you can see, the primary doors have already opened.
We must hurry and decide who will be going through which door, and with whom.

We're almost out of time. I'll just explain it as fast as I can.
Just like before, there are only three possible combinations.

The options Phi laid out for us were the following:

I'm not going with K. I had enough of that last time, thank you very much.

Oh dear... Seems I'm not wanted.

Huh? M-Me...?

Need someone gullible for the next round?

Hey. Shut up. Aren't you my partner?

Maybe, but I don't want her to think that means I agree with you.

And Dio, you betrayed Tenmyouji...

Oh, come on! Didn't I tell you?
It was Quark who--

Anyway, Phi and I won't be choosing "betray" this time.
Your BP's 1 right now, isn't it?
If you choose "ally" and we choose "betray", what would it be?

...-1...
I'd die.

I didn't want to say it straight out, but... yeah.
We're not gonna go that far just to get out of here.
Right, Phi?

...Yeah.

Then I'm going to take a chance on you.

Luna... Are you sure about this?

Yes. I've made up my mind.

Since it looks like Alice is pretty determined...

Yes I am.

I'm totally good with that.

What I did to Alice last time was really bad...
I want to try and make up for it.

That means each group is going through a complementary door.

Sigma, Alice and Clover are going through the red door.
Tenmyouji, Quark and K are going through the green door.
And finally, Dio, Luna and I are going through the blue door.

Any objections?

If there were any objections, there was no time for them.

The announcer's voice filled the room as we ran for our doors.

[Music fades out]

Three... Two... One...
Zero.
Chromatic Doors closing.

VLR OST: [Placidity]

There are three doors...
But it looks like they're all locked.

Well, it's got a lever...

Could you pull that, Sigma?

Sure.

It opened the door on the right.

Hmm. That seems kind of weird.
I mean, why just that one?
What about the other two?

Details, details. Hardly seems important to me.
They gave us a way forward, I say we take it.
Come along now.

Without waiting for a response, Alice strode off toward the open door.
Clover and I hurried to follow.

What, no comedy routine this time?

[Music fades out]

999 OST: [Imaginary]

Who'd ever need this much underwear...?

...What?

Panties...?

Isn't that what it said on the door?

Clover, dear... it didn't say "Panty".

It said "Pantry".

Pantry...?

It's where you keep food.

O-Oh! I guess that makes more sense...

Her face had turned an especially amusing shade of red.

I'd say it's a water storage tank.

It's totally full of water.

So just a whole bunch of food, huh.

Clover was right that there's a lot, though...

It looks like you could live here for quite a while.

I'd have to agree.

Then what do you think this place is for?

What?

Didn't we tell you? About Radical-6?

I guess that story really was true.

You're saying that the reason they've got all this food and water is so that they can keep infected people here?

That's ridiculous! I'm not infected with some weird-rear end disease!
I don't want to spend the rest of my life locked up in a metal box!

Me either!
Giving us food is all well and good, but no spare underwear? That's unforgivable!

S-Seriously...?

So let's get started!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I wonder if the panty joke makes Clover seem less dumb in Japanese.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
The good news here is that we don't have the option of Betraying Luna in Round 2 on this route; even better, we have the chance to Betray Clover instead! :buddy:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I hate this room. I hate this room. I hate this room.

The puzzles are too complicated and it's not fun. I hate this room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Well, that went better than expected.

And at least we learned that Alice is an equal-opportunity rear end in a top hat :v:

• Locked thread