Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I liked how I solved the bartender puzzle. I read that one of them was a liar and said "Man kids lie all the loving time he's the liar" and just mixed what the adults said v:v:v

I then got confused why it was counted wrong, dumped all the drinks then stopped "Wait who's perspective was I s-DAMMIT"

This is about the most :smug: I've been with a puzzle though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

bumble posted:

God, this part had me stumped for longer than I care to admit because I didn't realize the order of the drinks was important. Even finally solving it was frustrating, because I was sure this puzzle was going to lead me to the fourth hemi-hemisphere I had missed instead of optional bonus content. :doh:

At least you weren't stuck for 15 minutes on the part that gave me trouble: figuring out that you needed to put the needles on the clock. I imagined Sigma solving the logic puzzle in a few minutes and getting the secret safe code, then spending the next quarter of an hour dumbly wandering around the room slack-jawed, attempting to poke the needles into everything else in the room while Phi and Luna sort of watch nervously. I even figured out that 4:50 was the important time, looked at the clock without realizing it went with the needles and had a "GREEN SUN" all prepared and everything.

I guess I was expecting them to be labeled "clock hands" if they involved the clock.

Edit: Also one of the hemi-hemispheres (I forget which) is super easy to overlook.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 31, 2013

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

bumble posted:

God, this part had me stumped for longer than I care to admit because I didn't realize the order of the drinks was important. Even finally solving it was frustrating, because I was sure this puzzle was going to lead me to the fourth hemi-hemisphere I had missed instead of optional bonus content. :doh:

njsykora posted:

I was the same, not noticing the perspective of the note can throw you quite a bit. Of course the frustration of the drink mixing doesn't make it any easier.
Yeah, I had a stupid amount of trouble here, too, definitely in part because I didn't take that into consideration. I probably spent more on that optional puzzle than the rest of the room combined.

Also, I didn't lay things out neatly like Fedule did, so I fumbled my way into figuring out who lied. That didn't help.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

We should also point out that the bartender was serving a child alcohol, nobody's pointed that out yet.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

njsykora posted:

We should also point out that the bartender was serving a child alcohol, nobody's pointed that out yet.
Hey, it only said son not child. For all we know he could have been legal, going for a drink with his parents. Only he decided to be an rear end in a top hat and lie about it, causing everyone trouble. What a little rear end in a top hat. :argh:

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
It also seems that if you assume either the Father or the Mother is lying, you don't have enough information to compile a complete drink list, even discounting the conflicting information.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I honestly don't know why people don't really like the Lounge, I enjoyed it mostly.

Except for the mountain of poo poo that piles up in your inventory.

Good thing you don't keep any of that between puzzles.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I actually voted for the magenta door because I like the Lounge more than the other two choices. (And also because I picked cyan when I played, and I wanted to see things unfold in a different order)

EdgeryWorthy
Oct 5, 2012

So what's your type? You're a herbivore guy, so do you prefer a carnivore girl?

Count Bleck posted:

I honestly don't know why people don't really like the Lounge, I enjoyed it mostly.

Except for the mountain of poo poo that piles up in your inventory.

Kinda answered your own question there. That's exactly why.

It boggles the mind why of all things to remove from 999, they got rid of the ability to switch between items without going into the inventory screen.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

PlaceholderPigeon posted:

It also seems that if you assume either the Father or the Mother is lying, you don't have enough information to compile a complete drink list, even discounting the conflicting information.

Well, yeah. The whole thing is that there's exactly one liar and enough information to get everyone's drinks. Sometimes in puzzles like this there are alternate solutions where if there's one liar it works out this way and another way if there are two liars, but due to there being 5 possible liqueurs and 5 possible alcohols there isn't enough information if you assume both the mother and father are lying.

(example puzzle:

Albert: Bertie is lying
Bertie: Cedric is lying
Cedric: Albert is not lying

If there's exactly one liar, it's Bertie. If there're exactly two liars, it's Albert and Cedric)

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I think this is one of two rooms where I had to go to the Thread for this in Games and find/ask for a hint.

stupid perspective

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

Thank you for doing this. I loved the hell out of 999 when I played it and I was upset when I didn't have the chance to play this game. The story in 999 got me hooked immediately and I would often look up puzzle solutions just to get to the next bit of plot. I'm loving this game so far and Sigma and Phi seem to be really interesting. It's going to be hard to stop myself from looking up plot spoilers while waiting for you to update.

Alberenza
Mar 28, 2013
Wait wait wait the order was important? I mean obviously, but it was possible to work out?
When I played I got the drinks all right, set them out wrong and then I just tinkered about with the order mindlessly until I got it right.
Stupid luck I suppose, didn't even think anything further about the bartender's perspective.

DoublePLayer
May 6, 2008

by Shine

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I liked how I solved the bartender puzzle. I read that one of them was a liar and said "Man kids lie all the loving time he's the liar" and just mixed what the adults said v:v:v

This is pretty much my train of thought when I was reading the note, drat kids and alcoholic parents.

Also, that inventory management, gently caress, I think I would just explode trying to do the puzzle.

beru04
May 4, 2013

Stop making me realise things.

quote:

*Drool*
But with our powers combined...

Absolutely wonderful reference, and great LP so far, having just caught up this and 999 which I hadn't played in over a year was well worth the binge read :D

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.
In this room, it was the other solution that was difficult for me. It took me way too long to see the RED MOON letters (I think I was looking for a less obvious solution here), then I put the drinks in the wrong order (because the globe is in the middle of the ray, I thought its cocktail should be in the middle, too), and then I totally forgot what the text on the sun was :v: At least I don't remember being annoyed by all the items that much.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Edit: Fine, whatever.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 12:57 on May 31, 2013

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Count Bleck posted:

I don't really think it's a spoiler to say that the references get better from here.

Now you just cut that poo poo out. It's not a question of spoilers, it's an illiterate assholes keep saying things that are forbidden by the OP, like 'hurr hurr you just wait' thing. Stop doing this.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

At least you weren't stuck for 15 minutes on the part that gave me trouble: figuring out that you needed to put the needles on the clock. I imagined Sigma solving the logic puzzle in a few minutes and getting the secret safe code, then spending the next quarter of an hour dumbly wandering around the room slack-jawed, attempting to poke the needles into everything else in the room while Phi and Luna sort of watch nervously. I even figured out that 4:50 was the important time, looked at the clock without realizing it went with the needles and had a "GREEN SUN" all prepared and everything.

I guess I was expecting them to be labeled "clock hands" if they involved the clock.

Edit: Also one of the hemi-hemispheres (I forget which) is super easy to overlook.

This was my experience too. I got the logic puzzle first, and then didn't know where the hell the real puzzle was.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Edit: nvm

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 14:11 on May 31, 2013

SkuttyB
Nov 5, 2010

I got the blue password first too, seemed far more of an obvious puzzle to me, plus I missed the globe part behind the drinks on first look. Once I got to the main puzzle it took me a bit to figure out what the letters on the wall meant, I just tried three Blue Planets first, didnt think about the clock either cos it seemed like getting the light from it was all that it had to offer

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

SingerOfW posted:

In this room, it was the other solution that was difficult for me. It took me way too long to see the RED MOON letters (I think I was looking for a less obvious solution here), then I put the drinks in the wrong order (because the globe is in the middle of the ray, I thought its cocktail should be in the middle, too), and then I totally forgot what the text on the sun was :v: At least I don't remember being annoyed by all the items that much.

Hmm? As far as I know, for the first puzzle you can put the drinks on the bar in whatever order you like as long as they're Green Sun, Blue Planet and Red Moon.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Fedule posted:

Hmm? As far as I know, for the first puzzle you can put the drinks on the bar in whatever order you like as long as they're Green Sun, Blue Planet and Red Moon.

Huh, I could've sworn you had to make a lunar eclipse (planet between the sun and the moon like in the room placement) but you have a picture right there of doing a solar eclipse (sun moon planet) and getting the code.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Fedule posted:

Huh. I thought it needed to be in the order that a lunar eclipse would occur, sun, earth, then moon.

Weird how that makes sense and yet doesn't need to be for the puzzle I guess

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.

Fedule posted:

Huh, I might be remembering things wrong, since I played that room around four months ago. Maybe I got the other solution's order wrong, or maybe I got wrong cocktails and thought it was the order that's wrong.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
I wonder who's writing these "Hidden Files," or if they're just some out of game meta-stuff since the Lunar Eclipse entry talks about "the game."

That could just be a bit of fun or it could have in game implications. I guess there's no point in speculating.

My guess is that the lunar eclipse on New Year's Eve will show up. I wonder if this means the game will take a week or if they've been out for quite a few days.

Quantum computing is probably just in-game justification for Zero III being advanced but who knows?

Anyway really enjoying the LP so far, especially the Zero voice acting.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

SingerOfW posted:

At least I don't remember being annoyed by all the items that much.

I think the thing that bugged me is that I got the Easy puzzle wrong (the logic puzzle wasn't so bad), and if you get poo poo wrong you have to...

- Take all your drinks off the bar, and see the inventory screen popup each time
- Dump your drinks in the garbage, see the empty glass pop up each time, since it's sort of a new item
- Take the bottles out of the drink maker, and put new ones back in (guess what pops up each time)
- Repeat until you realize your mistake and do it right

It's one of those things where you roll your eyes and go "there was NO easier way you could've had me do this?"

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

slowbeef posted:

I think the thing that bugged me is that I got the Easy puzzle wrong (the logic puzzle wasn't so bad), and if you get poo poo wrong you have to...

- Take all your drinks off the bar, and see the inventory screen popup each time
- Dump your drinks in the garbage, see the empty glass pop up each time, since it's sort of a new item
- Take the bottles out of the drink maker, and put new ones back in (guess what pops up each time)
- Repeat until you realize your mistake and do it right

It's one of those things where you roll your eyes and go "there was NO easier way you could've had me do this?"

Hilariously, some things in 999 would alleviated this problem:

- I'm pretty sure half of these things would have been automated, or turned into a simple minigame that didn't involve navigating an inventory filled to the brim with crap.
- When you get new items that are just altered versions of items, the item screen doesn't pop up. An example is the empty bottles of liquid in the medical examination room, or when you mix them in the beaker to get a purple liquid; it gives you the purple liquid when you leave the puzzle, but it does so silently.
- A way to change items without going into the item screen, which really was insanely helpful.

But VLR didn't do any of that here. Yaaaaaaay! :v:

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Another thing 999 did: Give each item a small icon on the side you can click in the inventory screen to jump straight to that item. Here? Nope, gotta scroll through that whole list.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

code:
"Won't they get annoyed having to scroll through all these indistinguishable items one by one?"
"Maybe..."
"Also, won't it be irritating having a hundred liquor bottles cluttering up the side of the HUD?"
"Maybe..."
"Let's get rid of both of those features!"
"Raises for everyone!"

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

slowbeef posted:

In case you didn't notice my last post, you never have to remove bottles from the drink maker, they're auto-removed when you put the new one in. I think it takes drinks automatically if you use an empty glass on it also, but don't remember for sure.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

VLR OST: [Placidity]

Listen in: [English/Japanese]

Do you think it works?

Donno. Only one way to find out, though...

Hey. Someone's coming.

*Pant* *Pant* *Pant*

What's going on here?

We ran into them a little bit ago.
Well, not literally, of course.

I donno, with a prow like that I imagine you run into a lot of things.

Lemme see the map.

Oh... sure.

...Ah, I get it.
All three routes end up here.

Infirmary?

That so?
We found ours in the lounge.

Hmm... Maybe we should sit down for a bit and exchange information.

No. There's plenty of time for that after we check out this elevator.

These doors have colors on them too.

Are these Chromatic Doors?
Look, there's a box here. It looks like the ones we saw earlier.

...Yeah. Won't budge.

Is something wrong, Alice? You've been staring at your bracelet.

Oh...

No, I'm fine. But it looks like my guess was right... The numbers have changed.

Numbers...?
Oh, yeah, the time left.

You're telling me we're gonna have to just sit around here for another two hours?

Looks like we don't have a choice, then. We gotta head back.

Sure...

Oh? Did it say something like "Supplementary Rules"?
Because if it did, we have one too. We found ours in the infirmary.

Yeah, we found one too. It was in a safe in the lounge...

I don't think Zero's saying we can.. I think he's saying we have to.
Otherwise what's the point of that key card?

You mean this? The Ambidex Room key?

That makes six, then. One for each AB Room.

So when Zero says "Jump", we say "How high", huh?

A stupid, angry mutt watching the door sounds about right.

rear end in a top hat... Better hope I don't have rabies, you self-satisfied old turd.

Well, what's it going to be? Are you going to go back with us? Or are you staying here by yourself?

All right, fine. I'm going.

At this point we engage in a whole mess of sequences of doors opening and dots sliding around maps. After that, we see a named door opening, and immediately after that:

So I'm just going to cut all that poo poo out, if it's all the same to you.

It would seem Zero's notes were telling the truth. Getting back here was easy enough.

Or the crew quarters.

It's some of your favorite scotch.

(Whoa, hold on... "Grandpa?")
(Since when were they buddies?)
(Or had they always been that close?)

Soon as we get out of here I can drink all the scotch I want.
And you can drink all the root beer floats you can stomach.

What?! You're gonna get me a root beer float?!
But... Are... are you sure? Do you have enough money...?

Oh, ye of little faith...
I found an old factory full of rare earth metals the other day...

...?

Listen in: (recommended!) [English/Japanese]

You were taking so long I hopped off for a little nap.

Oh for... Yawning? Really?
You're just a computer program. You don't get tired!

Hey, B.O.
My temper's got a hare-trigger, and you're awfully close to pulling it.
So, I'd watch my mouth if I were you.
Otherwise.. Well, do you really need me to spell it out?

Forget it...

That's a good boy.

[Music fades out]

Namely, how do you get more BP?

VLR OST: [Eeriness]

We go into the AB Rooms, right?
Look...

K and Quark have two each, so we've got six all together.

But.. who goes into what room?

But there are only six rooms.

Didn't I tell you? The two members of a pair share the same destiny.

Then you mean both members of a pair need to go into the same room?

Yes yes yes!

Play a game.
Just like it says on the door...

You play the Ambidex Game!

Wait. What's "Ambidex" supposed to mean anyway?

I would guess it's short for "ambidexterous".
Most use the word to refer to the ability to use both of one's hands, instead of favoring the left or right, but it can also be taken to mean someone who is duplicitous or two-faced.

Well, yes, I guess you could put it that way.

Then what's the Nonary Game?

The Nonary Game is a game where you try to open the number nine door and escape..
The Ambidex Game is just a minigame you play as part of the larger one. Make sense?

Like hell. This poo poo is confusing.

Is it? Or is it that you're just a few carrots short of a bushel?
What do you think, B.O.?

You arrogant little bastard...

Eeehe he he he...

Weeeeell, that's just how I am, so you better get. Used. To. It.
Now, could I have you all move to the AB Room please?
I'll give you more specifics once everyone's inside.

I think it'll probably be easier to understand that way.

[Music fades out]

Think we should head in too?

Why are you asking me? Just hurry up and get in there.

Okay, okay..

An Ambidex Gate has been opened.
Forty-five minutes remain until Ambidex Game polling closes.

What?
This game's got a time limit too...?

999 OST: [Trepidation]

...What.

...What?

...What!?

Fedule fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 12, 2014

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Uh... that's new.

There must be someone else controlling the game. Someone had to move the body into there, and the players were all in their groups of three the whole time.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
What indeed :stare:

Also one thing that popped up to me last update but I forgot to mention: there's something very off about Zero III's speaking. To wit, if he only picked it up as a habit then and there and decided to run with it, why are the supplementary rules written in that fashion? Or perhaps - how?

e: also ohgod ohgod Trepidation :ohdear:

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Fedule posted:

We ran into them a little bit ago.
Well, not literally, of course.

I donno, with a prow like that I imagine you run into a lot of things.

Dio. :allears:

evilspacehopper
Oct 10, 2012

Hinawa remembered in death as she was in life: endlessly eating birds.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Uh... that's new.

There must be someone else controlling the game. Someone had to move the body into there, and the players were all in their groups of three the whole time.

Well it's the leftmost room which Sigma and Phi weren't in before and haven't seen inside of yet. Nobody had to move the body into the room if it was there the whole time and we didn't know. Well that is if the body was there at the start, it could have been placed any time which means you could be right or one of the nine players here killed them while we were solving the elevator puzzle.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Looks like somebody found a nice place to take a nap.

Oh wait, Trepidation, never mind.

theshim posted:

Also one thing that popped up to me last update but I forgot to mention: there's something very off about Zero III's speaking. To wit, if he only picked it up as a habit then and there and decided to run with it, why are the supplementary rules written in that fashion? Or perhaps - how?

You're questioning the motives of Artificial Intelligence designed to run a game where people die.

Perhaps its just having them written as it goes along and just gets them in the safes... somehow?

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jun 1, 2013

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
EDIT: Nevermind, it was on my end. Disregard.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 1, 2013

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

Fedule posted:

Like hell. This poo poo is continuing.

Typo there, it should say "confusing." And he's right: this version of the Nonary Game seems to be a lot more complicated than the one in 999, where you just had to progress through numbered rooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Count Bleck posted:

You're questioning the motives of Artificial Intelligence designed to run a game where people die.

Perhaps its just having them written as it goes along and just gets them in the safes... somehow?
Not the motives, but the methods, I guess.

I mean either it gets them into the safes (in which case I want to know how) or it's a plot hole.

• Locked thread