Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Clearly they're on a sound stage in Area 51.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

VLR OST: [Eeriness]

Listen in: [English/Japanese]

I got betrayed...?

He chose..."ally"?
Why...?
He chose "betray" last time...

Last time...? What are you talking about?

Oh, uh, nothing...

The truth was I didn't know why I'd said that either.
The words had just appeared in my mouth before I knew I was saying them.

You're the one who chose "betray."
I should be asking you why.

Sorry... I just...

I told him you might choose "betray."

Phi, you...

I can't believe you. I'd never choose "betray."
I trusted you two...
And this is what I got.

Ah. I apologize.

Ph-Phi... You don't need to apologize.
I was the one who did it.
I pushed the button.

Oh. Yeah, I guess you've got a point.

Huh...?
W-Wait—what?!

It's Sigma's fault. You want to blame someone, blame him.

What the hell, Phi?!

Bah. What, you gonna fight each other now?
I don't care which one of you pushed the button.
I'm never trusting either of you again.
This isn't over.
Just you wait.

I tried to think of something to say, but before I could come up with the right words, he was gone. I spun around—

But she was gone too.

Gah! Where the hell...
How'd she just disappear like that...?

As I looked around the room for Phi, I noticed that Clover, K, and Luna seemed to be having some kind of an argument as well.

I moved closer and did my best to listen surreptitiously.

Sorry... I guess I wanted to get out of here as soon as possible, you know?

I apologize, but I felt the same way.

But... If we all choose "ally," then we could all escape together!
It only takes three turns to get 6 points...
That would be enough to get us out.
Why...?

Well of course we know that.
But if we betray then it's...faster...

If your opponent chooses "ally" and you choose "betray," then you gain 3 points.
Do that twice, and you get six points. You see?

If you ally, then you have to play the AB Game three times...

But if you betray somebody, you only have to do it twice.

Wh-Why are you acting like that's the right thing to do!?
I almost feel like you're...blaming me or something!

We aren't trying to blame you.

But, I mean, if you just think about it, wouldn't it make sense to choose "betray"?

Forget it. I understand now.
It was silly of me to trust you guys...

Luna walked off with her head buried between her shoulders.
Her back trembled as if perhaps she were crying, but I couldn't see her face.
Alice, Dio, and Quark, however, seemed to be having some issues of their own...

Hmph. Fine. You just wait.

Man... This's all your fault, Quark.

M-My fault?! Why are you blaming me?!

They exchanged dark looks, then stomped off in different directions.

We now repeat a whole lot of stuff.

The group finds out what happens when you hit 0 BP. Alice is displeased.

They resolve to go investigate, and leave Sigma on his own while he reminisces about being kidnapped.

Eventually he stops wallowing and goes to poke around, so we get to do the rounds for the last time for the last time!

Most of it is unchanged.

In the Lounge, Sigma, K and Dio discuss total lunar eclipses and Schrödinger's Cat before Phi and Luna join them to discuss Radical 6.

In the Infirmary, there actually is something new.

999 OST: [Imaginary]

What do I want...? What, you think I'm here to play doctor? Only if you're secretly Clover.

Tell you what, how about I'll be the doctor.
You get on the exam table and I'll cut you open with that scalpel over there.

Man... Are you still pissed?

My BP's down to 1 thanks to you!

C'mon, I already told you I was sorry...

Yes, and that makes it all better, you goddamn idiot!

Well then what the heck am I supposed to do?

Piss off.

Seems like I'm already doing that.

You don't know the half of it. Just get outta my sight.

Easy solution, then: Just close your eyes.

Leave before I make yours black.
The last guy I fought went home in an ambulance.

Shouldn't have picked a fight with a paramedic then.

Shut up.

Fine...

Sigma then proceeds to look around and asks about Quark. This scene is actually almost identical to how it plays out if we'd voted Ally and gotten betrayed. The sole difference is that when Sigma asks Tenmyouji to elaborate on how he and Quark were abducted, Tenmyouji instead says:

The last time we did this route, the infirmary was the last place we visited, and we rounded the divider at this point to find Quark collapsed on the floor. This time, though, he should still be okay!

VLR OST: [Anxiousness]

H-Hey...Quark? You all right?

Can you hear me?

Huh? ...What? Is...something...happening?

I turned to look at Tenmyouji.
He looked back, confused.

Weren't you listening to our conversation?

You were just...talking so fast... I couldn't really understand...

Fast...?

My head felt kinda foggy, and I couldn't really make out what you were saying...

Are you sure you're okay?

I think I'm just tired.
Being stuck in this place is pretty exhausting...
And... And...

He glanced at the bed in the back of the room.
On it lay the body of the old woman.

What...
Tenmyouji! What the hell were you thinking?!
You can't let Quark back here!

H-Huh? Oh, yeah, right.
Quark, get over here.

Yeah...

Maybe Luna should have a look at you.
Supposedly she's some sort of doctor...

I said I was fine.
Gosh Grandpa, you're such worrier.
You always freak out over nothing. I'm fine.

Well, it looks to me like you're doing fine. I guess we don't have anything to worry about.

Yup! Come on, let's get back to work.
I'm guessing you didn't find a secret passage somewhere, huh?

Nope.

I see.

Yeah...
I'll go check up on the others, then.
Tenmyouji... Keep an eye on him, all right?

You think I need you to tell me that?

Crisis averted!

Meanwhile, in the Crew Quarters...

Clover reveals the previous two Nonary Games and Sigma is grilling her on them when--

Tenmyouji? What's wrong?

L-Luna! Where's Luna?!

She's not here...

What's wrong?

It's Quark! Something bad's happened!

Hey, calm down.
What happened to Quark?

I don't... He just collapsed!

VLR OST: [Strain]

I have to find Luna!
She said she was some kind of a doctor, right?

Luna's over in the lounge. Where's Quark?

He's in the infirmary!

Got it! I'll go get Luna! You head back to the infirmary!
Clover, Alice, you're with me!

Okay!

Right!

We bolted out of the crew quarters and headed toward the lounge, and Luna.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Hey you guys I think Quark might be an earlier model of Sigma-bot.

klaphark
Mar 10, 2013

Fedule posted:

You don't know the half of it. Just get outta my sight.

Easy solution, then: Just close your eyes.

Leave before I make yours black.
The last guy I fought went home in an ambulance.

Shouldn't have picked a fight with a paramedic then.
:ughh:

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I hope now you've learned to stop picking your nose!

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I figure it's more obvious when you're playing through the game straight rather than taking it in piecemeal in LP form but man Sigma is really quite an rear end in a top hat, isn't he.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Super Jay Mann posted:

I figure it's more obvious when you're playing through the game straight rather than taking it in piecemeal in LP form but man Sigma is really quite an rear end in a top hat, isn't he.

Pretty much everyone here is an rear end in a top hat, really.

Except Luna. And maybe Quark. :v:

That said, his reaction when Phi threw him under the responsibility bus was priceless. :allears:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Speaking of Siggy being an rear end, did the original Japanese even have that paramedic joke? It seems like something that came in with localization, but I guess you never can know

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Fedule posted:

He chose..."ally"?
Why...?
He chose "betray" last time...

*sight* Yeah, gently caress you, too, game. At this point, I don't think i care enough to gather enough :effort: for a proper rant.

klaphark
Mar 10, 2013

Aumanor posted:

*sight* Yeah, gently caress you, too, game. At this point, I don't think i care enough to gather enough :effort: for a proper rant.

This happened before though, and with sigma wondering to himself like that it'll probably be adressed later.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

:allears:

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

klaphark posted:

This happened before though, and with sigma wondering to himself like that it'll probably be adressed later.

It has already been explained by Phi. The flow of time and the effects of actions doesn't just run one way, the future changes the past in its own ways, and the past can change the future in ways that don't seem obvious they'd effect.

Sigma going back in time while knowing that Teny would hit betray (or at least his subconcious knowing it - since something you guys seem to constantly miss is that he's not constantly remembering every event of every other timeline, he's remembering glimpses at certain times when it's important/semi important) changed the past and the future, his hitting betray caused a future where Teny hit ally.

It is not, in fact, the game going 'gently caress you player, you can't get a good end', it's.. just how the game works? All you guys freaking out over how the game is loving trash and loving with us seem kinda silly. The whole point of the game is that we're going into wildly divergent pathways to try and solve one mega puzzle. I don't understand the complaint at all.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

I do not understand why we're still arguing about what planet we're on.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

ProfessorProf posted:

According to my theory it's because goons.

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 4, 2014

Waterguy
Aug 14, 2012
I had a theory that when Sigma felt the effects of Radical6 but got better it meant that Sigma has some kind of immunity and could be a source of a cure.
But Quark felt bad then back to normal here...

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Waterguy posted:

I had a theory that when Sigma felt the effects of Radical6 but got better it meant that Sigma has some kind of immunity and could be a source of a cure.
But Quark felt bad then back to normal here...

But there is a cure already. I still think Nonary games are done with a purpose. Assuming the plot is exactly like 999? It would be more likely someone in the past is trying to prevent the outbreak of Radical-6 and using Sigma and the other players as tools to discover it. Would also explain why Dio was sent in to kill everyone, somehow the Myrmidons and Free the Soul found out about it, or it was leaked, because Dio presents an element of real danger for the adequate power of Morphogenetic fields to start working.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

I hope you're not implying that Sigma trolling Tenmyouji isn't the best thing.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I really love that amidst all these crazy theories about just which celestial body the game is set on, no one seems willing to take the game at face value and just go with Earth. :allears:

I will go with earth, because the other theories have huge, stupidly obvious holes in them.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
So out of curiosity, what's the alternate text if you betray the old man before picking ally?

xeose4
Sep 22, 2014

KittyEmpress posted:

All you guys freaking out over how the game is loving trash and loving with us seem kinda silly.

I don't think anybody is reacting that way.

For my part, I was just let down that the game would stoop to such a cheap trick for "shock value" when it's proven it's smart enough to do better than that. My feelings are like a teacher who just caught a smart student cheating on a test. I'm not mad, I'm disappointed. :eng99:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It just seems more like the game is deliberately trying to avoid a situation where we have a double Betray in the first round. Aside from this, the Alice door and the Phi plot lock (which at least makes some sort of sense for busting through the lock) every time we've replayed a scenario people have stuck to their votes.

Maybe it's to create more tension over 'oh, I have 6 points and can get out next vote' or 'oh, I have 1 point and could die'. If we were stuck at 3 we'd be more impartial in future votes.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

ApplesandOranges posted:

It just seems more like the game is deliberately trying to avoid a situation where we have a double Betray in the first round.
All else being equal, I think that's really what it is. The plot doesn't really work if there's a stalemate going on, and they never know what path is going to be your first. So palming cards to 100% ensure that there's no possible 'boring' first loop is probably pretty important.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
I feel like the drawn out pace of an LP versus actually playing the game is maybe having an impact here.

I don't blame people for getting invested in the question "What happens when we betray the old man who betrayed us?" over the course of however long its been here, but I don't read it as (and the game doesn't seem to present it as) a mystery. "Oh he changes his mind by magic" isn't as big a letdown to me when I figure that the question only really presented itself a few hours ago. The bigger questions like "okay well fuckin why?" are what I'm looking for, and if that sucks then I'll get super mad, but this reveal here is kind of a baby pigeon imo

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

I don't think you're going to get any reveal other than the ones already presented*; we're experiencing alternate realities and carrying information between them, just like in 999. The realities we're seeing aren't the exact same reality but with one different choice made, we're seeing an entire separate thing. If you want, imagine that there's an arbitrarily large amount of other realities Sigma goes through that we don't see, both because there wasn't any good information gathered in them, and (from a meta standpoint) because they don't make a good story when taken in aggregate; I think that scenario's more likely than not.

*Well, this is obviously untrue, but you know what I mean. Reveals ON THIS ASPECT OF THIS SUBJECT.

Naerylan
Feb 17, 2011

Sentient Data posted:

Speaking of Siggy being an rear end, did the original Japanese even have that paramedic joke? It seems like something that came in with localization, but I guess you never can know

I obviously can't "hear" Sigma's lines on the Japanese track--beepbeepbeepbeep... but from Tenmyouji's replies it sounds like he is being kind of an rear end.
He's using a sort of joke where you say a well known phrase (kotowaza) but mispronounce one of the syllables to form an extremely lame pun.
At about the place the localizer put the paramedic joke, Tenmyouji angrily says, "It's not HIma, it's SHIma. Toritsuku SHIMA mo nai" which means something like 'no island to hold onto' and connotes that someone is being difficult or impossible to talk to. Saying it the way Siggy (presumably) said it changes the phrase to 'no free time to hold onto' which sounds silly and childish. He's either dumb enough to think the saying is supposed to go that way or deliberately screwing up a classic expression to get on Tenmyouji's nerves.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

KittyEmpress posted:

It is not, in fact, the game going 'gently caress you player, you can't get a good end', it's.. just how the game works? All you guys freaking out over how the game is loving trash and loving with us seem kinda silly. The whole point of the game is that we're going into wildly divergent pathways to try and solve one mega puzzle. I don't understand the complaint at all.

The complaint is that there is no divergence between timelines/dimensions/whatever until we make the betray/don't betray choice. As Tenmyouji can't know what we selected, there is no causative mechanic to explain his change of choice, other than "gently caress you, player". I understand the game's reasons for it, but "because it's convenient" is really sloppy writing. The rest of the writing is pretty good, so it really stands out as a pathetic dose of :effort:, and people feel betrayed by that. It's the narrative equivalent of "The princess is in another castle" or "Rocks fall, everybody dies".

ProfessorProf posted:

Because it's amusing. Plus, other heavenly bodies are much cooler options than just "the desert", so it's fun to pretend. It's obviously Earth, but that's dull, so screw that. If the narrative won't take itself seriously, why should we take it seriously?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I feel that having the votes of Alice and Tenmyouji be "uncertain" means that Luna always allying and Dio always betraying (except vs Luna) stand out more in comparison.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

:h: :h: :h:
Luna and Dio, sitting in a tree
A-L-L-Y-I-N-G

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sentient Data posted:

Luna and the thread, sitting in a tree
A-L-L-Y-I-N-G

I think this is more accurate.

Vexrm
Feb 2, 2009

Full of hot raspberry jam blooded passion.
So I was thinking about this whole Future Impacts the Past stuff and all....

If it was truly just that I would hope the game wouldn't put so much emphasis on it. I started thinking about what else it could be. What if there's not just one person trying to impact this game, but two? What if Dio has his own evil not time traveler trying to give him the answers?

Lord Gorchnik
Jul 20, 2012
Wow, best use of a weekend ever! Reading LPs. Just finished reading the archive of 999 and now this one (great LP by the way). So some things are fresh in my mind and I just noticed this as I was going through all the art I saved from the games. I'm pretty sure this hasn't been posted yet and per Fedules first post it said spoilers from 999 are okay.

Am I going crazy or are these the same symbols? On the shoulder of Snakes robe and the one behind brother? I guess if so these are robes that the Myrmidon's wear? Or is the author just screwing with us. Based on what I've learned from these two LPs though it would seem the author would not do this for laughs.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Having come to this lp without reading through the 999 one, I'd figured the artist was just a fan of the V miniseries

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Lord Gorchnik posted:

Am I going crazy or are these the same symbols? On the shoulder of Snakes robe and the one behind brother? I guess if so these are robes that the Myrmidon's wear? Or is the author just screwing with us. Based on what I've learned from these two LPs though it would seem the author would not do this for laughs.

Definitely the same symbol, at least looking at it here.

According to Alice, Ace was a Myrmidon (or belonged to that Free the Soul cult anyway, not sure if that's really the same thing at this point) so it's not out of the realm of possibility that he had robes like that laying around for Akane and Aoi to use. Or maybe it's something more, we'll just have to wait and see.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

Super Jay Mann posted:

According to Alice, Ace was a Myrmidon (or belonged to that Free the Soul cult anyway, not sure if that's really the same thing at this point) so it's not out of the realm of possibility that he had robes like that laying around for Akane and Aoi to use. Or maybe it's something more, we'll just have to wait and see.
Well, considering that they needed a lot of funding in order to host 999's Nonary Game, and that it probably came from Free the Soul, I would guess that they had robes as well.

Variant_Eris fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Dec 7, 2014

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Variant_Eris posted:

Well, considering that they needed a lot of funding in order to host 999's Nonary Game, I would guess that they were part of the cult as well.

Akane and Santa made their money off cradle pharmaceutical stock

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Cake Attack posted:

Akane and Santa made their money off cradle pharmaceutical stock

Oh, I remembered reading somewhere that it was due to the cult, but I guess I was wrong.

Innacurate article?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

maybe, i donno?

im just going off my memory of 999 here

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Welp, nevermind. The moment I was thinking of was the post-epilogue thingy in VLR.

Variant_Eris fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Dec 7, 2014

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

You stop that. :colbert:

But yes, Aoi mentions in Door 4's living area that he does a lot of stock trading which is how they got the funding for the Nonary Game.

I imagine Akane probably found it funny using the money she made off of Hongou's company to ruin him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Variant_Eris posted:

Well, considering that they needed a lot of funding in order to host 999's Nonary Game, and that it probably came from Free the Soul, I would guess that they had robes as well.

Didn't Ace's, and therefore Cradle's, funding for the first Nonary Game actually come from Lord Gordain's successor and associates (as did the ship itself, Building Q was built to match it later or so I presume), and subsequently the creation of Soporil from that mandragora root he found on the ship? I remember Ace saying the last bit during 999's True Ending and the Gordain part from the Q&A that was included after it in Dragonatrix's LP. (The question I refer to begins, "What does the robe Snake was wearing...")

Interestingly, it also indicates that Gordain might have been with Free the Soul as well.

• Locked thread