Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

death .cab for qt posted:

Crazy guessing time what if Clover trusts Ten with his life, and vice versa, because Ten is from the second or first Nonary game? With those Cryostasis pods, it's possible for time to have passed without it being so long that an entire generation dies off. If Clover was in a pod, and Tenmyouji was not, he could reveal that information to her and earn her trust. After all, she usually comes to trust him, but that appears to only happen through Morphogenic hullaballoo now—she just gets this gut feeling to trust him. We never got to hear, from her, what Ten revealed, and she would at least try to keep it secret until we paired up with her and had a moment alone, which I don't believe we did.

Interesting thought. Even considering the age differences, however, I don't think he's anyone from 999 "aged up" simply because he doesn't really match any possible candidates physically. Santa maybe, but it's a stretch. It's probably more likely he's one of the kids from the first Nonary game who were also recruited into the Organisation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Crazy guessing time what if Clover trusts Ten with his life, and vice versa, because Ten is from the second or first Nonary game? With those Cryostasis pods, it's possible for time to have passed without it being so long that an entire generation dies off. If Clover was in a pod, and Tenmyouji was not, he could reveal that information to her and earn her trust. After all, she usually comes to trust him, but that appears to only happen through Morphogenic hullaballoo now—she just gets this gut feeling to trust him. We never got to hear, from her, what Ten revealed, and she would at least try to keep it secret until we paired up with her and had a moment alone, which I don't believe we did.

Wouldn't that imply that Alice was also in a pod, since the two knew each other?

The counterargument is that if enough time had passed for someone to age from the first or second Nonary game to Tenmyouji's age, then everyone outside of the people in the pods should know about radical-6. I mean Dio's lying, that's a given, and K has amnesia, but that still leaves Sigma, Phi, Tenmyouji, Luna and Quark, with only one pod left. Even someone as young as Quark would know about radical-6 if his previous generation had lived through it, plus everyone being confused about the year wouldn't match up.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Umm. I might be misremembering an earlier update here, but weren't there three people in pods? If Clover and Alice were in the pods, could that make Sigma podsicle #3?

E: I figure Luna is probably a robot. She's the only one who seems not to be changing her votes depending on the circumstances, and therefore may be incapable of tapping into the technobabble field.

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 6, 2015

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

David Corbett posted:

Umm. I might be misremembering an earlier update here, but weren't there three people in pods? If Clover and Alice were in the pods, could that make Sigma podsicle #3?

Unless Sigma is the hinted robot :tinfoil:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Ten and Quark have a well-established dynamic from their life outside. So like Alice and Clover, either they were both in the pods or neither were in the pods.

Since there were only three pods, we also know that we can't have both the T&Q and A&C pairs in the pods.

Operating under this theory, it would make more logical sense for A&C to be pod people and T&Q to not be. Otherwise Clover would be the old one in the pair. Setting aside Dio and K for previously described reasons, that leaves us with Sigma, Phi, and Luna for the third pod.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
If anyone's a robot, it's Fedule for keeping this LP rolling for this long.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

Vil posted:

Ten and Quark have a well-established dynamic from their life outside. So like Alice and Clover, either they were both in the pods or neither were in the pods.

Since there were only three pods, we also know that we can't have both the T&Q and A&C pairs in the pods.

Operating under this theory, it would make more logical sense for A&C to be pod people and T&Q to not be. Otherwise Clover would be the old one in the pair. Setting aside Dio and K for previously described reasons, that leaves us with Sigma, Phi, and Luna for the third pod.

If you are correct, then unless the Golem thing was a red herring, it seems likely that via process of elimination, someone out of Quark, Ten, K, Sigma, Phi or Luna is a robot. Dio is Left so is human - unless there's a double twist with him being an android with Left's memories maybe? :confused:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Ten has been relatively erratic at times, especially near the beginning - maybe he (or quark?) can also jump and ten revealed something about the future to clover to gain her trust

As far as jumping back to before the kidnap, that seems doubtful - from what we've seen, sigma always had the knowledge from the alternate lines. The plot locks have been at cliffhangers dependant on information that sigma already has, it's just that the player isn't supposed to know it yet until we experience the other line. The locks always cut off while he's in the process of remembering, or in the case of the bombs, sigma was already making a confident accusation, the player just didn't get to hear the name until after the lock

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Listen in: [English/Japanese]

Yes.

What on Earth was that?

Any ideas...?

VLR OST: [Desperation]

I got only frowns and shaken heads in response.
Only one person showed a reaction other than stunned confusion...
Tenmyouji.
Long after the audio ended, he stared at the screen deep in thought.

Yeah, I think I know what that was.
It's probably a transmission from the Mars mission test site.

Mars...?

I'm sorry, what?

You mean some kind of space travel?

What kind of a test site was it?

Hmmm...

These ships would be able to get humans to Mars a lot faster than old chemical rockets.

But they don't want to just send a manned Mars mission off half-cocked.
That was the idea behind this test.
They built a whole complex on this old Air Force base in Nevada.

The idea was that it would be a simulation of a manned mission to Mars, with a crew of nine men and women. They'd monitor the whole thing and use that data to plan the real mission.

So what we just listened to was a transmission from that project?

Yeah.

Why is something like that here?

Donno why.
We found it in the safe, no explanation.
Dollars to donuts it's got something to do with Zero's plan.

You mean we were meant to hear what was on that card.

Yeah.

About the simulated Mars mission?

Yes.

The intent was to create as accurate a simulation as possible.
That meant we'd need to simulate the radio silence we'd experience during conjunction.

What's a "conjunction"?

It means two things in space are close to each other. In this case, we're talking about a superior conjunction, where Mars and Earth are on the exact opposite sides of the sun.
So unless we've got some sort of relay, there'll be a period of time where we won't be able to communicate with each other.
What we heard on that card was when the simulated conjunction was scheduled to end.

That's when they died...

No,we don't know that. They could have died long before that conversation.
All we know is that's when it was discovered.

So six of the test subjects died, right?

Yeah.

Well...do you remember what she said?
There was something about how she didn't just kill six people...
She said six billion.
What the heck did she mean by that?

Just what the hell happened there?

Tenmyouji frowned and looked down at the floor. We were all silent as he paced slowly back and forth across the room.

At last he stopped, raised his head, and spoke.

A virus...? Wait, you don't mean...

Yeah. Radical-6.

Wh-What? How can that be?

I'm just telling you what I know, okay?
Nobody's sure how Radical-6 got in there in the first place, but...

One of the subjects might have been infected when they entered, or the virus itself might have been an intentional part of the simulation.
The test site deaths became the index case for a pandemic.

Anyway, prevailing wisdom says it got out somehow, and once it was out it spread pretty quick. All across the planet.

And it killed six billion people?

Well, not directly.
Best numbers put only a third or so of those deaths as directly caused by Radical-6.
The other four billion died from the collapse caused by the deaths of that first third. The whole world just...fell apart.

I don't even know where to start knowing where to start.
Well, no, take that back.
Explain that date.
Unless I heard this wrong, the day the Radical-6 got out was December 31st, 2028.

Yeah.

But the day I got grabbed by the guy in the gas mask was December 25th, 2028.

Me too. Christmas Day.

I was kidnapped on Christmas too.

Clover and I were taken three days earlier, on the 22nd.

Yeah.

Then you see what I'm saying, right?
That recording was made close to a week after we were all picked up.
What the hell is going on here?
That thing is from the future!

You see...

[Music fades out]

All players please enter your votes.
If no vote is recorded before the deadline has passed, any non-voting parties will automatically ally. Results will be displayed in the warehouse.

VLR OST: [Eeriness]

Wait!
You haven't answered—

Don't care.
I'd need more than 10 minutes to explain everything.
Half-assing it is just going to make you more confused. Now get moving.

But—

That's enough!
Shut your drat hole or I'm picking "betray"!

H-Hey, c'mon now...

Fine. Do what you want, but I need to get back to the AB Rooms.
I'd like to stay with Quark, but he seems to be doing all right...

I'll stay here with him.
Phi can do the voting for our pair.
I can trust her. Is that all right with you?

Yeah, sure.

Well, if you'd be willing to do that, I'd be much obliged.
Thanks, Luna. Take good care of him.

Of course. I'll make sure everything goes fine.

Tenmyouji gave her one last nod, then turned and dashed out of the infirmary.

Well, that's that, I guess. We should probably be going too.

Yes. We'll just have to wait to hear the rest of what he has to say later.

I'd rather just get it all out in the open now, but there's not much we can do.

Let's get going, then!

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

quote:

To all players,

You thought you were getting answers.

Ha. Ha. Ha.

Sincerely,
Virtue's Last Reward

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

:suspense: Holy gently caress I think they're actually going there

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

Why do I get the feeling something terrible might happen to Ten before he can spill what he knows? :ohdear:

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014
:suspense: I don't know if I picked best or worst time to finally finish off my marathon on this thread, but I hope we do get a reveal after this and not get plot blocked by at the last moment via suicide (or murder).

Though there's not much room if it's a second Nonary game contestant, even if we assume this Zero got the person/people? of the "future" to keep quiet about that or get penalized for whatever reasons, a simulated Mars mission doesn't really fit in with any of the descriptions of the male cast from there.

...although, did they ever describe exactly what Junpei was in college for? I mean, from taking a look at his art from 999 and comparing to Ten:

quote:

They seem to have similar enough builds that I could see Ten being an aged up Junpei, if albeit there's the fact that he was in his 20s in 999, so either Alice, Clover and Sigma are in for a rude awakening when they get out or he partied really drat hard during college.

Exposure fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 6, 2015

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Trasson posted:

To all players,

Hey, I object. I was never that naive. I'm not expecting any answers whatsoever until the penultimate installment.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
I might have to re-read the thread; I don't remember this Mars bit at all from my playthrough.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

:argh: interrupted exposition!!!!

On one hand it appears that there's some time travel and/or future lag silliness going on here, on the other hand Tenmyouji seems to imply he has an actual explanation for why it's a later time period than everyone thinks it is so I don't even know what the hell.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Brony Hunter posted:

Why do I get the feeling something terrible might happen to Ten before he can spill what he knows? :ohdear:

Because your sense of pattern recognition is working?

But yes, we are missing some stasis pods here. Dio snuck in, that's 8. Let's assume someone is an android. That's 7. There are 3 pods, so 4 people still need some way of not noticing that years have passed.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 6, 2015

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Trasson posted:

To all players,

Maybe I'm just calibrating my expectations, but I thought this was quite a lot of information. We know that Ten is somehow involved with the Mars test (seems like whatever company he runs might have been involved) and a decent clue to the origin of Radical-6. At least assuming that Tenmyouji's reliable on that, which he most likely is.

This feels more and more like a Twelve Monkeys style set-up, where someone is trying to stop the outbreak by traveling to the past. We know Ten made a deal with Zero to be here, but it seems like that had more to do with Quark than fighting the virus. Maybe Zero turns out to be trying to find out what happened. (Non-time-travel option is that Zero is recreating the conditions somehow to get psychic solutions).

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Because your sense of pattern recognition is working?

But yes, we are missing some stasis pods here. Dio snuck in, that's 8. Let's assume someone is an android. That's 7. There are 3 pods, so 4 people still need some way of not noticing that years have passed.

K has (or claims to have) amnesia, so there's 6, and Zero is (supposedly) among the players, so assuming that there's no overlap then we're down to 5.

The question becomes who's lying to us, what are they lying about, and why?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I'm willing to believe Luna helped make Radical-6. She keeps mentioning that she has a medical degree of some kind, but it's never revealed what profession she has. When they ask if she's a doctor or nurse, she dodges the question.

Either that, or some kind of medical robot.

I don't think Quark has ever been around to hear our group talk about what year it is.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

We actually know very little about Quark, he and Sigma have barely had a chance to interact yet. The way he calls Ten "Grandpa" yet the old man doesn't outright call Quark his grandson gives me an inkling that they're not related - Quark is a robot Ten built maybe? A...robot that can get sick...? Okay maybe not.

Atomic Spud
Jun 24, 2013

Kangra posted:

Maybe I'm just calibrating my expectations, but I thought this was quite a lot of information. We know that Ten is somehow involved with the Mars test (seems like whatever company he runs might have been involved) and a decent clue to the origin of Radical-6. At least assuming that Tenmyouji's reliable on that, which he most likely is.

When did we find out Tenmyouji runs a company? Maybe I need to re-read the updates, but I don't remember that at all.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
What if the dead woman is the robot? :tinfoil:

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Now you're thinking Zero Escape!

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

What if the dead woman is the robot? :tinfoil:

What if she's actually K, and gets swapped out and killed instead? :tinfoil:

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

What if she's actually K, and gets swapped out and killed instead? :tinfoil:

Assuming that K's helmet has some kind of voice modulator, we actually have no idea if he's been the same person all this time :tinfoil:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Brony Hunter posted:

Assuming that K's helmet has some kind of voice modulator, we actually have no idea if he's been the same person all this time :tinfoil:

K is secretly another Dio. Sometimes.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Atomic Spud posted:

When did we find out Tenmyouji runs a company? Maybe I need to re-read the updates, but I don't remember that at all.

Well, he at least has some sort of processing factory for rare earth metals. Maybe he's not running a company, but he's in a similar position - he might have been a supplier of materials for the test site. Although then again if he's a time traveler, it's entirely possible that his control of the factory came after the calamity.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Why do I get the feeling -every- ending in the game winds up with the winning player(s) going out into an apocalyptic world that has been all but destroyed by Radical-6? Because if that's so, they may as well all lay down and die right now.

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

Brony Hunter posted:

We actually know very little about Quark, he and Sigma have barely had a chance to interact yet. The way he calls Ten "Grandpa" yet the old man doesn't outright call Quark his grandson gives me an inkling that they're not related - Quark is a robot Ten built maybe? A...robot that can get sick...? Okay maybe not.

Maybe Quark's just adopted? :v:

I mean that would be surprisingly simple, but they did have the guy who acted like a gigantic rear end in a top hat turn out to actually be a gigantic rear end in a top hat.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Don't forget that if there is an android, whoever it is still gets massacred in the Clover ending. The only ones not dead or soon to be dead in that scene are Quark and K.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Don't forget that if there is an android, whoever it is still gets massacred in the Clover ending. The only ones not dead or soon to be dead in that scene are Quark and K.

And K. Maybe.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Kemix posted:

Why do I get the feeling -every- ending in the game winds up with the winning player(s) going out into an apocalyptic world that has been all but destroyed by Radical-6? Because if that's so, they may as well all lay down and die right now.

I don't know, I'm getting the idea that this Nonary Game was set up to somehow facilitate the reality hopping power that Sigma and Phi have so they can attempt to project the creation method/formulae for the Axelavir that's been worked on in the intervening howeverlong back into the past. Radical-6 somehow feeds into Dio's faction's plans so he was sent to gently caress everything up. Wasn't it said at some point that Axelavir should have taken much longer to develop (or that a cure for Radical-6 would take years or something like that), but we just found a vial of it lying around because reasons?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Sending the cure back in the timeline could make sense in the game's logic if we were frozen, but there's also the more mundane option that some group created both the virus and a cure, they just kept the cure a secret for their inner cabal or ransom or whatever. Maybe Dio's group (or a group that his radical faction splintered from) created the virus/cure and his mission is to destroy the the cure and/or knowledge thereof

E: ha, "radical"was totally unintentional, but now if I want to be a conspiracy nut maybe the people who released the virus if it was done intentionally called themselves the radical six :tinfoil:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Spoilers: Radical 6 is actually a group of six skateboarders who pulled such gnarly tricks that it caused the downfall of humanity.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

You thought it was the 90s, but it was I, DIO!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Can't wait for Sigma to develop a Stand and punch Dio in his smug face.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Spoilers: The game is all an extended hallucination experienced by Seven as he's taking an incredibly painful poo poo. There's actually a really complicated backstory leading up to this.

I won't bother with all the details, but two years after the events of 999, Seven was touring the United States in a nasty utility van and had found his way into central Arkansas. He had stopped at the Wal-Mart in some town whose name you'll never remember to restock on toilet paper and fish bait and was leaving with a full cart when he saw someone in the parking lot selling foil-covered packages out of the back of their station wagon. Upon investigation, he discovered that the items for sale were rabbit tamales, freshly-cooked that morning and just $3.00 a dozen. More importantly, the tamale vendor was quite fetching and Seven felt compelled to put on a show of manliness, so he purchased nine dozen tamales and wolfed them down on the spot a fistful at a time. He didn't remove the husks, not knowing you're supposed to do that when you eat tamales, but the tamale vendor didn't say anything. As it so happened, the tamale vendor was Snake, who was staked out on a completely unrelated deep-cover operation for the CIA and was rather unimpressed by Seven's display. The tamales were also manufactured by the CIA out of mostly cheap cornmeal and mechanically separated chicken, and were wrapped in wax paper that had been drawn on to resemble corn husks.

Fast forward nine hours and Seven's had to pull over and go running off into the woods as fast as he can while staying tightly clenched. At the edge of a forest clearing he found a convenient little wooden outhouse, the kind so that's so ancient and cliched that it really does have a crescent moon carved in the door. That hole is the only source of light Seven has, and provides quite a lovely view of the sky; Seven can even see the full moon glimpsed through that tiny opening. He's pretty sure the moon isn't supposed to be a horrible blood-red, but he can't tell if that's because of a lunar eclipse or if the hellish agony in his bowels has tinted his vision. He really has been in there for awhile, as if time itself has slowed to a sixth of its normal speed while he struggles to evacuate. All is silent, save for Seven's thunderous howls of pain, answered occasionally by a handheld bear call in the hands of some redneck who's out poaching a couple miles away.

When Seven isn't staring up desperately into the sky through his tiny, moon-shaped portal to the outside world, his eyes are on an enigmatic phrase scratched into the door. "MEMENTO MORI. IF THE NINETH LION ATE THE SUN" doesn't actually mean anything, having been left there years ago by a mentally ill man who had escaped his handlers, but Seven doesn't know that. Trying to find anagrams or pretend that the phrase has some deep meaning at least keeps his mind off the pain for a bit. It's a long loving night for poor Seven, after all.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jul 7, 2015

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

We may have seen Dio at this point, but we haven't seen his other other clone, D12

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
You'd think they'd give Seven's real name by now, unless it's important for the future.

• Locked thread