Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

Captain Bravo posted:

Alright, so I've held off on posting my theory as to what's going on, but I feel that the letter seals the deal. The big question, in my mind, is Who is Tenmyoji? It eventually became obvious that he was one of the previous Nonary Game participants, and there were signs heavily pointing towards Junpei... but the letter pretty much confims that it's actually Santa.

Why Santa? For one, it has to be either Santa or Junpei, because the dead lady is Akane. The letter confirms that Quark did not grow up with a Grandma and a Grandpa, Tenmyoji was his only parent. Which means that Tenmyoji's reaction to the dead woman's corpse is because she's the woman he spent his life pursuing until he met Quark.

"Now Captain Bravo," you say, "Wouldn't that imply that Tenmyoji is Junpei? After all, Akane and Santa both escaped at the end of 999." But the fact is, we don't know what actually happened after 999. However, there is one thing we do know.

Junpei knows Alice. He was in the car that picked her up, and he was debriefed at HQ, he knows that she's not All-Ice. Santa doesn't. Tenmyoji confronted Alice about Ice-9 after he realized she had been at the last Nonary game. Santa was privy to the conversations about the frozen corpse and Ice-9. Santa did not meet, or talk to, Alice. So from his perspective, she may very well be that unfrozen egyptian princess. He confronts her with this, claiming that Clover told him, but even leaving aside the fact that Clover had no reason to tell Tenmyoji about the Ice-9 mystery if Ten was actually Junpei he would have known that it was false, and would have no reason to accuse her of it.

And that brings us to the final point, which is that Santa adopts Quark to atone for his inability to protect his sister. Remember, he talked a lot about how he was her Santa Claus, that's where he got his friggin' nickname from. He was unable to save her in the first Nonary game, Junpei had to do that. He was just an accomplice in the second Nonary game, she ran that whole deal. And, if we take my above assumption as correct, she split off from him some time afterwards and he was again alone, unable to protect her as he desperately wished to. Then, he stumbled across Quark, and gets a second chance to be the caretaker he so desperately wished to be. Junpei had no similar compulsion to be a protector, or even if he did it was nowhere near as powerful as Santa's.

So if Akane is the dead woman, how did she end up there? Simple: She's Zero. Everyone keeps saying that Zero Jr. confirmed Zero was a member of the nine participants, but Zero Jr. was addressing everyone in the room. Akane was hiding inside one of the AB rooms. Akane only dies if Sigma and Phi don't pick Alice. What's more, when that happens, the rooms don't shift, implying that whoever killed Akane also moved the rooms around to hide the evidence. That seems like it would imply Alice is the killer, but Alice and Clover both seem in the dark as to who Zero is. What's more, Alice goes over to pick up the blood knife and inspect it, if she stabbed Akane she would have just kept it. No, the reason why choosing Alice results in Akane dying is simple: Without Alice to distract Clover, K cannot sneak away to murder Akane.

Now, again, I know that the hologram in the Director's room seems to implicate Zero as a male. But don't forget, this exact same thing happened in the last game. Guy, in the head honcho's office, fingered as Zero, but actually a Red Herring. What's more, the hologram gives us a disarm code for a bomb. But Zero didn't set the bombs, Dio did. And we know Dio isn't Zero, because he was sent to infiltrate the Nonary game, he wasn't in charge of it. So then who is the man in the hologram? Simple, he's K. Who is loving Junpei.

:psyboom:

K and Akane set the whole thing up. K is the man in the hologram, giving false hints to throw Santa off the scent. Akane doesn't want Santa to find her because she ran off with Junpei to have a life together. Junpei is playing the same role Santa was in the last game, the infiltrator and accomplice who people assume is Zero until the final twist. The only problem is, K actually does have amnesia, meaning he doesn't remember setting this whole thing up with Akane. So when he is left alone by Clover, and explores the AB rooms by opening the top seals, he accidentally confronts Akane and murders her before she can explain. He then moves the rooms to cover up the fact that she is killed, something that doesn't happen in the route where she doesn't die.

So why the Nonary game to begin with? What even is the purpose here? Simple, the purpose is to defuse the bombs. Akane and Junpei were living in the facility, working to create the cure for the virus. Dio breaks in to learn what he can, and then blow it to hell and back. Akane and Junpei realize that the only way to save the facility, and the last hope for humanity, is to run another Nonary game and depend on espers to figure it out. They had already captured Clover, Alice, and Sigma years ago to keep in cold storage as esper aces-in-the-hole. They just had to put Clover into a similar situation so her powers would be able to save the day. The thing they didn't bank on is Clover's powers being subsumed by Sigma. So Junpei would have his memories wiped, to be in the same situation, doubling their chances of success. They contacted Santa, and convinced him that if he signed up and didn't spill the beans they would guarantee a good life and a cure for Quark, so he jumped at the chance. Dio was already in the facility, they just had to knock his rear end out, and that brought them to 7. They tapped a medical researcher who was desperate for a cure, Luna, and constructed the final member as their failsafe, Phi.

Junpei recorded a message with the only password they had been able to deduce, Bomb #1, then locked himself in the suit and did whatever bullshit was required to give him Amnesia. Akane knocks out Dio, brings in Tenmyoji, Quark, and Luna, activates Phi, and defrosts Sigma, Clover, and Alice. Phi and Zero are instructed that no matter what, they must always play their part to the hilt. The danger must be real, to activate the latent esper powers in Sigma, Junpei, and Clover. Even if their actions or inactions doom everyone, they must remain hopeful that one of the other timelines will receive the information needed to succeed. Phi drags everyone into their cells, sits down beside Sigma, and the game begins...

This is wonderful. I hope you save this, so once this is all over you can go back and see what you got right and where you were way off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Tenmyouji being Santa/Aoi wouldn't surprise me, that's exactly the type of misdirection Uchikoshi is known for.

Junpei being Zero/K (and working with Akane no less) seems kind of out there though.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Alright, in the interests of keeping things moving along while I'm actually up on this I've closed the poll; going back and betraying Tenmyouji (in round 3) has the nod.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

DopeGhoti posted:

Yeah. We can totally trust this about as far as we can throw a fit.

"I totally promised that I would not open the door. Quark, open the door."

Well, I was close. :allears:

Blinus
Dec 20, 2008

Fedule posted:

Alright, in the interests of keeping things moving along while I'm actually up on this I've closed the poll; going back and betraying Tenmyouji (in round 3) has the nod.

Cool, moving fast. :)

Prematurely reiterating that we should also do the round 2 betrayal of Tenmyouji next before going to any other paths. Better to complete one path entirely when we can, than to jump to the other two possibilities. Just my opinion, just seems cleaner.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Glazius posted:

Man, I wonder if Ten and Clover have been in cahoots this whole time.

No, they've been in the warehouse/bunker/prison.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

lotus circle posted:

It's hard to really peg a "Safe End" onto this game I find. With 999 Safe End was the only route necessary to unlock True End. The other routes gave you information about certain characters, but they weren't crucial to finishing the game.

With VLR, I would say every route is necessary to get a full understanding of the plot. Certain routes less than others, but none of them feel superfluous. I would say the only route that comes close to that is Clover's, which is fitting because her presence in the game as a whole is superfluous and only done because she was a fan favorite in 999.

You do need Clover route for something. There's a reason it's one of the two routes not hidden behind a Plot Lock.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

In keeping with what seems to be a grand tradition, the consensus seems to be going back and doing-over the last AB game, with 41% of 156 respondents voting to betray Tenmyouji and Quark.

We're not falling for it this time.

Please direct your attention to the results screen.

Please check your bracelet to see your updated Bracelet Points.

Take that Tenmyouji! ...and Quark.

:ohdear:

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
And then Clover had over 9 points anyway.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
ENGAGE PANIC TURBO MODE
OVERRIDE CLIFFHANGER
Password confirmation required
Password: **********************
OVERRIDE ENGAGED

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
VLR OST: [Eeriness]

Listen in: [English/Japanese]

Quark had nothing to do with it.
I entered the vote.

So why'd you choose "betray"?

Couldn't I ask you the same thing?

I don't think really this is the time for a fight, though.

...?

Look. Clover's over by the door.

[Music fades out]

Wh-What?!

VLR OST: [Demise]

Ah...the number nine door...

gently caress! She opened it!

Rrgh...!

Why...?

Clover, wait!

I'm going to call the others.

What...?

I'll get justice for Alice...

Justice...? Wait, do you mean—

The number nine door has been opened.
It will remain open for 9 seconds.

No!

Please Clover, wait!

Like hell I'm gonna just let you walk out of here!

Dio leapt at Clover, his fists raised— Clover easily avoided him and moved toward the door.

Goodbye...

I caught one last glimpse of her face as she slid through the door. It was a mask of ice.

The number nine door has closed.
This ends the Nonary Game.
Thank you for your participation.
As the game is over, all doors other than the number nine door have been unlocked.
Escape is not possible.
Please enjoy your stay.

Worth it.

Second vote; same as the first! Ish.

cd ~/magenta/ally/blue
After successfully allying with Luna, go through the Blue door with Alice and K

cd ../../betray
After escaping the PEC, accept Clover's request and betray Tenmyouji

cd ~/cyan/betray/green
After successfully betraying Alice, reject Alice's suggestion and insist on taking the Green door with Luna and Clover

Fedule fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 20, 2016

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Great job being a dick to Quark, guys! :bravo:

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
You're off the hook, game... For now.

Also, while we're here we might as well stay on the "betray Tenmyouji" train.

BlazeEmblem posted:

It was rather cathartic. Not being a dick to Quark per se, but being able to counter a betrayal without the game doing its bullshit. Sure, it would be nice to have this opportunity in a choice that mattered, but I'll take what small victories I can get.

In summary,

Fedule posted:

Worth it.

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 20, 2016

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011
Tenmyouji so very needs another loving betrayal after pulling that poo poo. Him and Quark can rot in this place. And Quark's poo poo is just annoying. "I know grandpa is condemning you all to a slow death, but he's a good guy, really!" gently caress off! If you assholes had just agreed to all Ally we'd be out of here already! Die in a fire, Quark! Get hosed, Tenmyouji! "Good People Die"? How about "Irredeemable Assholes Die"? "I want to be a good person"? Like hell! You all want to be backstabbing chickenshits! Beat Dio into a mass of twitching flesh barely covering nerve endings! Stomp Clover's ribcage into her heart, if it even loving exists! Butcher Tenmyouji for food! Take Quark's hat away and claim his powers for your own! Sigma, wake the gently caress up and realize the power you wield and use it to make these people's lives as miserable as they've made yours! ALL OF THEM DESERVE DEATH! REAP THE CRIMSON HARVEST!

tl;dr: I did not care for this at all.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Betraying Tenmyouji is not worth having Clover 'listen' to whatever we want.

Pick anything other than agreeing with Clover.

On that note, the cyan/betray/green door is the last time we'll have to group with Clover, who we've so far had to deal with in an escape in four rooms.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm glad Ten still betrayed because it would have been completely out of character for him not too, even with alternate dimension shenanigans. Still not really mad at him though, he just picked the option most beneficial for his grandson.

RelentlessImp posted:

Tenmyouji so very needs another loving betrayal after pulling that poo poo. Him and Quark can rot in this place. And Quark's poo poo is just annoying. "I know grandpa is condemning you all to a slow death, but he's a good guy, really!" gently caress off! If you assholes had just agreed to all Ally we'd be out of here already! Die in a fire, Quark! Get hosed, Tenmyouji! "Good People Die"? How about "Irredeemable Assholes Die"? "I want to be a good person"? Like hell! You all want to be backstabbing chickenshits! Beat Dio into a mass of twitching flesh barely covering nerve endings! Stomp Clover's ribcage into her heart, if it even loving exists! Butcher Tenmyouji for food! Take Quark's hat away and claim his powers for your own! Sigma, wake the gently caress up and realize the power you wield and use it to make these people's lives as miserable as they've made yours! ALL OF THEM DESERVE DEATH! REAP THE CRIMSON HARVEST!

Why are you so mad at this path in particular? Honestly this felt like one of the most cordial decisions yet. At the very least I feel like everyone's choice was fairly logical considering their motivations and such.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

RelentlessImp posted:

:stare:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

RelentlessImp posted:

You should probably go outside and get some fresh air for a couple minutes. I know it's cold, just wear a jacket.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

RelentlessImp posted:

quark is like 10, dude

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Why are you so mad at this path in particular? Honestly this felt like one of the most cordial decisions yet. At the very least I feel like everyone's choice was fairly logical considering their motivations and such.
Mostly? Accumulation of hatred for these people over the poo poo they've pulled so far. The final straw was Quark's letter. Yes, I know, this is going to unlock a plot lock, but that doesn't change that everyone involved, with the possible exception of Luna (if she's not actually Zero, though I'm leaning away from that due to the possibility of it being a double-bluff for people who have played the first game) are all terrible goddamned people, even down to the child who nearly died and wrote a letter to you to try and not make you angry that he's killing you.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm serious, you need to step away from the computer and cool off. It's just a video game. A video game you're not even loving playing, man.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

RelentlessImp posted:

wrote a letter to you to try and not make you angry that he's killing you.
Except he's not? If it wasn't for the bombs, which I don't think anyone even knows about in this path, you could comfortably live out the rest of your natural life there in the rooms. Sure the rest of your life is probably going to suck relatively, but it's nowhere near being killed.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

It's just a video game. A video game you're not even loving playing, man.

That's the sign of good writing. Don't get me wrong, I am loving the hell out of this as much as anyone else. But I hate these people. If they were just a little more flat, a little less despicable in actions, a little less understandable, then they wouldn't inspire nearly as much disgust or interest. I was expressing my opinion of the characters, not the game, and the fact that I'm moved to express such vitriol is only a point in the game's favor.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

RelentlessImp posted:

That's the sign of good writing. Don't get me wrong, I am loving the hell out of this as much as anyone else. But I hate these people. If they were just a little more flat, a little less despicable in actions, a little less understandable, then they wouldn't inspire nearly as much disgust or interest. I was expressing my opinion of the characters, not the game, and the fact that I'm moved to express such vitriol is only a point in the game's favor.

You throwing a temper tantrum over 1s and 0s is not good writing, it's you having some issue other than the game that you're taking out on us.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

You throwing a temper tantrum over 1s and 0s is not good writing, it's you having some issue other than the game that you're taking out on us.

Thanks, random person on the internet, for your baseless assumptions. I'm sure they're as correct as every other time you've made assumptions about random people on the internet.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Counterpoint: I cried like a bitch during undertale and that's also 1s and 0s

Vvv:
Bad or not, "over 1s and 0s" isn't really valid and is needlessly condescending/conformational

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 20, 2016

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

nothing wrong with getting emotional invested in a thing but that post was bad

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

BlazeEmblem posted:

Given that a plot lock of one of the ending routes was betraying Phi just to see what would happen, I think it's safe to say that the goal of this game is to be a dick to as many people as possible.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 20, 2016

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Honestly? I knew full well that was gonna happen. Nothing would have stopped Clover from leaving and we'd just have two extra people to drat to a slow death in the concrete, underground cell we would have created anyways. But hey, retribution for Ten being a dick and betraying us last time. Totally worth it.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Given that a plot lock of one of the ending routes was betraying Phi just to see what would happen, I think it's safe to say that the goal of this game is to be a dick to as many people as possible.

To be fair we did betray her first. Or go back to betray her before she betrayed us so she could betray us for a betrayal that hadn't happened yet. :psypop:

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
And the most obvious conclusion goes to...

I get we have a completion streak with this LP'd audience, but was anyone remotely surprised that Clover just went ahead and left anyway?

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
Guys, let's not fight about this. We got it out of the way, there were no time-bullshit shenanigans, and now we can safely go with Alice and K. I don't really feel like going with Clover anywhere this round.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Dio, you know Brother told you to get off the internet, right?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Does everybody just... trust Zero Sr. that escape is impossible? I suppose he's still got the remote needles if we get rambunctious.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Glazius posted:

Does everybody just... trust Zero Sr. that escape is impossible? I suppose he's still got the remote needles if we get rambunctious.

Maybe not necessarily no way out, but definitely not one that wouldn't take potential months or years with their available options. Solid steel walls are kind of a bitch like that.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Referring to Clover and her incessant smile:

ApplesandOranges posted:

Unless Alice dies again, in which case she'd probably flip everyone the bird and throw the switch.

Zoe posted:

Oh god I so want to see this now. Or at least I hope there's something somewhere on one of these paths to rival Axe Ending, it would help to redeem the character for me. Though you just know she'll be smiling as she does it. :smithicide:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

It is a pretty poor retribution, when the subject of it doesn't even know why it is happening.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

RelentlessImp posted:

*holds up spork*

Blinus
Dec 20, 2008
Voted for the other betrayal of Tenmyouji, to complete this path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Glazius posted:

escape IS impossible

leaving is easy though, just go out the door

• Locked thread