Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Myrrar posted:

It gets more complicated if at least one person ends up betrayed and loses points this round. Then you have one (or more) groups at 1 BP. Since their lives are on the line, they are far, far more likely to vote betray. At 1 BP, you can guarantee that you do not die by voting betray all the time. Life is a fairly powerful motivator, afterall.

Sure it would be easy right now to make an agreement with everybody to vote Ally all the time, but they intentionally were not given the chance to discuss this beforehand. Even if they discuss it afterwards, so long as one group ends up at 1 BP, can you really assume that they won't vote betray just to guarantee their safety?

I would count on an encourage 1BP groups to vote betray. Nobody can die as long as they do this. And, if I was at 6 or 5 BP and against them, I would vote ally, bringing us both to non-lethal totals. After which, we can either agree to mutually ally at no danger to ourselves, or betray/ally chain our way up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jhelpme
Sep 19, 2012
Not sure if this is considered off topic, but if anyone has a Vita but has yet to purchase Virtue's Last Reward it is going to be free to North American PlayStation Plus subscribers this month: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/06/03/playstation-plus-deus-ex-human-revolution-free-for-members/

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
PS+ is just the best. Besides, it's about time NA got VLR, since it spent a few weeks in the EU PS+ collection last month.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Zandar posted:

Is Sigma going to be as much of a dick as Junpei?

Junpei was only a dick outside of Door 3, as I recall. Otherwise, he was fairly cool about going with the flow until the last three doors when he stuck with Clover to hear more of her story about the previous Nonary Game.

Kinfolk910
Nov 5, 2010
There is technically two points why you shouldn't betray.
First: Even if you miraculously get to 9 points somehow in two trials you still got to get to the door. If you are the only one who will survive if you get 9 the others have absolutely no compunction in seeing to live with your rewards while you, well, die.
Second: Can you really trust a traitor? Most times the answer is no.

Further notes: I've done the prisoners dilemma before. I managed to derail it with logic and the words "I know where you live." Then again I was also voted "Most likely to snap and murder someone."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Kinfolk910 posted:

Further notes: I've done the prisoners dilemma before. I managed to derail it with logic and the words "I know where you live." Then again I was also voted "Most likely to snap and murder someone."

I'm sure this is completely true and not at all obnoxious Troper Tales BS.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

The votes were overwhelmingly in favour of Allying with Luna: 82% of 337 respondants voted to Ally.

And hey, if a whole bunch of people all think about Allying at the same time...

Listen in: [English/Japanese]

Results will be displayed in the warehouse.
Thank you for your participation.
Ambidex Gates now opening.

999 OST: [Imaginary]

Tenmyouji was left behind, his footsteps a slow, heavy plod.
What had happened to make him like that?

Listen in: [English/Japanese]

Huh?

You chose "ally".
Didn't you hear me? I told you that if your BP drops to 0, you die.

Yeah, I heard you. A whole second before the deadline.
How can you expect me to think anything through that quick?
It would've taken, like, half a second just to process what you'd said.

No. You could've done it.

...?

It starts working so fast that a second can seem like an eternity.
Your brain was doing that right before time ran out, wasn't it?
Well? Am I wrong?

Wh-What the hell are you talking about?
...Okay, fine. Let's be generous and say, hypothetically, that you're right about this whole crisis overclocking thing.
How would you know whether or not my brain was doing that?
Did you crack open my brain when I wasn't looking?
You just wedge a microscope in there and have a look at my neurons?

I mean, you "just know" stuff you shouldn't.
Stuff like my name, or how if your BP hits 0 you die.
You told me you don't know why, but...
More and more I'm starting to think you've been lying to me...

Listen in or miss out: [English/Japanese]

Siggyyyyyyyyy!
Phidooooo!
Hey!
What're you kids doing over there!

We're about to announce the results!

Time to see what the results are.

...Huh? "This time"...?

poo poo...

Let's get ready to rock!

[Music fades out]

The results!
If everybunny would please direct their eyes to this monitor...

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Wow, we're the only pair that Allied.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Color Printer posted:

There's probably no way Alice and Clover will betray each other, unless K interjects. (Also, Potassium is the greatest possible nickname Zero III could have come up with.)

Likewise, if Quark and Tenmyoldy (I don't remember how to spell his name aaaaa) really are close like it showed earlier, they won't betray each other either. Unless Dio has something to say about it, which he probably does.

As for Luna....

Well now I'm just imagining Luna laughing maniacally and slamming her hand down on the "BETRAY" button. It's a pretty funny image.

Hahahahahahahaha everything about my post was entirely loving wrong (or right? it depends on which member of the pair chose to Betray, I guess), including the mental image of Luna hitting Betray.

Things here just got a lot more interesting.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
On the plus side, at least we made the right choice in trusting Luna.

On the minus side, the other two Pairs probably just hosed everybody over.

SharpWingedSpear
Oct 10, 2012

Pressing buttons well makes me feel better about my drinking problem and/or lack of friends.
Wow, K and Clover betraying Alice really threw me off.

poo poo just got real. :suspense:

v

Medieval Medic posted:

It is interesting that the people who were by themselves all chose to Ally, and the people in pairs except for us all chose Betray. At least we know now that for the next rounds we can ally with any of the current loners.

We hope we can. They're sitting at 1 BP now, so how willing are they to trust us?

SharpWingedSpear fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 3, 2013

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
It is interesting that the people who were by themselves all chose to Ally, and the people in pairs except for us all chose Betray. At least we know now that for the next rounds we can ally with any of the current loners.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Medieval Medic posted:

That logic doesn't fully work, because the value of the payoffs is different when you have two or less points.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

I doubt Quark betrayed; I guess Dio had to be the driving force in that pair.

As for Clover and K...I could see them maybe even unanimously betraying. Clover because she's been through this poo poo before, and K because I don't know enough about him to rule out the possibility.

---

It's also interesting that the game's given us results such that next round, we can't trust anyone except, perhaps, Luna. They're all either known betrayers or one bad alliance away from death.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Medieval Medic posted:

But would they risk it because if they ally and are betrayed they can die.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
Something tells me that Dio bullied Quark into betraying Tenmyouji. But then again, this is the series where on of the endings had a child become a axe murderer...

Also it's good to know that Luna isn't some sort of hidden rear end in a top hat and actually trusts us :v:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Carlioo posted:

Something tells me that Dio bullied Quark into betraying Tenmyouji. But then again, this is the series where on of the endings had a child become a axe murderer...

Also it's good to know that Luna isn't some sort of hidden rear end in a top hat and actually trusts us :v:

She was 18 so not a child.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Murdering K honestly seems like a good option at this point. If for no other reason then to get people to stop being jerks.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:

MonsterEnvy posted:

She was 18 so not a child.

She was? Huh, must've missed that, which is reasonable considering that I skimmed through most of the 999 LP.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Added Space posted:

Murdering K honestly seems like a good option at this point. If for no other reason then to get people to stop being jerks.

How are you going to murder that guy, out of curiosity?

I mean far be it from me to poke holes in your ideas, but... you've looked at him, right?

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Well, I can see K and Dio bullying their way into betraying, although I believed Clover to be made of sterner stuff... I guess the only one who can be trusted right now is Luna, but I don't know if we can go with her again or if Zero will shake the game up a little more.
Also, to whoever called Phi to be one recieving visions à la Junpei, I hope you're e right. It would be an hell of a subverted expectation, and I can totally see them doing this.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

People complain about the doors and the dot moving around, but for me the worst is

SIGGY

PHIIIIDOOOO

On repeat playthroughs, you can never skip it :suicide:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

People complain about the doors and the dot moving around, but for me the worst is

SIGGY

PHIIIIDOOOO

Why would you ever want to skip that? :confused: That's probably my single favorite line of dialogue in the game. :allears:

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

SIGGY

PHIIIIDOOOO

You can skip it though. Unless by repeat playthroughs you mean when you go down other routes.

Even then, moving blueprint map dot trumps all in the annoyance factor :v:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

SIGGY

PHIIIIDOOOO

Are you seriously telling me you want to skip it? :colbert:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

SIGGY

PHIIIIDOOOO

I've never tried. It's too good of a line.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Those lines make me wish Sigma was voiced so badly. I can already hear Troy Baker's voice in my head when I read those lines.

Also it's nice to see our protagonist actually have a bit of a backbone after dealing with Junpei for an entire game.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Yeah, I appreciate how this game handles it, but there's still stuff you know that you have to see twice no matter what. Even stuff said by Zero gets kind of old by the end of the game.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 3, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Oh I liked it the first time, even the second time (Maybe the third?) but after that I knew what he was going to say and it never changes, he doesn't say it in a different tone or anything.

Then again when I played I found Zero 3 pretty annoying 90% of the time so I'm the odd one out here.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

SharpWingedSpear posted:

Wow, K and Clover betraying Alice really threw me off.

poo poo just got real. :suspense:

v

We hope we can. They're sitting at 1 BP now, so how willing are they to trust us?

The most likely scenario is that everyone who Betrayed this round is going to end up getting betrayed - everyone will be on edge about them possibly winning. Potentially all the ones at 1 BP could just end up betraying as well if they don't mind the potential death.

Sigma, Phi and Luna have the safest options right now, as they could Betray or Ally without fear - because of that someone is more likely to Ally with them, since they couldn't win even if they Betrayed.

As for K and Clover, I still think it's possible Clover could have just Betrayed anyway no matter who it was - she was still pretty logical in 999, Snake notwithstanding, and she might have just concluded it would be easier for someone to get out just as fast as they can and come back with help.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

alcharagia posted:

How are you going to murder that guy, out of curiosity?

I mean far be it from me to poke holes in your ideas, but... you've looked at him, right?

Being in armor doesn't make you invincible. A strong blow to the head will still cause a coup-contrecoup brain injury. :black101:

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Fedule posted:

Siggyyyyyyyyy!
Phidooooo!
Hey!
What're you kids doing over there!

We're about to announce the results!

I love this line. One of the most well delivered ones so far, I think.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
Hm. I wonder how they're gonna decide who goes in what door next? Unless there was some agreement where someone agreed to get betrayed (Unlikely!), Tenmyouji and Alice will probably not want to work with either of the betraying pairs.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Line of the game right here. With all the great lines he has it's a travesty Sigma isn't voiced.

Nidoking posted:

I didn't see an answer to this in the thread - K is the chemical symbol for the element Potassium, probably because of an alternate name similar to Kalium. It's no more sensible than W for Tungsten (Wolfram).

The deal with elements like this that have English names that don't seem to sync up with the chemical symbols is just due to language differences and historical artifacts. In the case of K, someone in England decided that some specific substance he was working with should be called Potassium and someone else who spoke another language decided to call it Kalium. The problem only would come up much later when the scientific community felt the need to standardize what every element was referred to and decided to go with the abbrevation for Kalium, but by that point in the English-speaking scientific community, the name Potassium had stuck.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 3, 2013

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

SingerOfW posted:

I never really got K's nickname, since potassium is not something you expect to see that often. That, and English is not my native language, and the element is called Kalium around here. Good thing I finally checked the dictionary!

I didn't see an answer to this in the thread - K is the chemical symbol for the element Potassium, probably because of an alternate name similar to Kalium. It's no more sensible than W for Tungsten (Wolfram).

Kinfolk910 posted:

Then you didn't do the Prisoners' Dilemma. The proper version of that doesn't allow communication between the two prisoners before they've made their choice. Such was the first round of the Ambidex Game, although the players now know the rules and will likely be able to communicate before the next round. That doesn't mean that the rules can't change along the way and render anything they've said moot, but at least some amount of dialogue can take place.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I don't know if those reaction shots change from AB result to AB result, but Quark and Clover looked incredibly nervous. You obviously can't read K, but Dio looked a bit guilty.

Fallord
Mar 22, 2013
They appear one-by-one before any results are shown.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

No, I got that from the .gif, I mean will they be the same reaction shots next time we go to the polls?

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Yes, and they'd know their own vote. They're likely nervous about whether or not the other side betrayed.

Edit: This is based on the fact that the people nervous/guilty are the ones that voted betray:
Edit2: That and as far as I know, Phi/Sigma are the only ones that know about this supposed 0 BP is death rule. I don't see any reason to think that this death rule isn't true, especially considering that Zero III said there was more rules about this AB game.

And Phi probably only knows said rule via whatever thing allows her to know the future.

Kgummy fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jun 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
It's nice to know that most people here aren't horrible scumbags :v:

• Locked thread