Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Fedule posted:

This reminds me. 25-30 hours is about the average time reported by people who finish the game.

Currently, the timer on my 3DS file (ie, the one where I rush through puzzle rooms and leave the dialogue on auto-advance) is at about 3:30:00.

Y'know, just for some perspective.

I uh....I had like 50-60. Of course, there was a lot of leaving the system on while I did other things, but I'm so ashamed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilspacehopper
Oct 10, 2012

Hinawa remembered in death as she was in life: endlessly eating birds.
I got around 45 hours. I did examine every a ton of times looking for hidden dialogue though.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

What? O-Okay... Let's go.
(I'm going to have to see her again...)
(I feel sick just thinking about it.)

That's not a nice thing to say about Phi, Sigma. :v:

Naturally, Alice's bracelet will be gone when we get there.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Well, this is an unexpected twist.

I wonder how many people we can ensure get killed before we hit the ending for this route? :allears:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Now I'm really curious about the kind of door situation we've gotten ourselves into here.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
If the main winning condition is to get all 9 out (according to Phi), there are so many complications now that it's pretty difficult.

1. Alice will die, unless someone stops the killer / accompany her.

2. Clover trusts Alice, but something triggered her to trust Ten. Despite the death of Alice and not trusting anyone else.

3. Ten will abuse Clover's trust to get Quark out, at the expense of everyone else.

4. Said Quark will disappear, unless someone sticks with him.

Which brings into question another aspect.

Was Dio correct? Did Quark betray Ten knowing that Ten will ally?
Did Quark and Ten set this up? Did Ten pick ally knowing he's going to get betrayed, giving Quark the chance to exit?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

That's a pretty clever analysis, Eeepies. I like it.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Eeepies posted:

Was Dio correct? Did Quark betray Ten knowing that Ten will ally?
Did Quark and Ten set this up? Did Ten pick ally knowing he's going to get betrayed, giving Quark the chance to exit?

I love this theory because if Quark was told to betray him but hide the reason it means Dio's idiotic story might actually be the truth. :allears:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Eeepies posted:

If the main winning condition is to get all 9 out (according to Phi), there are so many complications now that it's pretty difficult.

1. Alice will die, unless someone stops the killer / accompany her.

2. Clover trusts Alice, but something triggered her to trust Ten. Despite the death of Alice and not trusting anyone else.

3. Ten will abuse Clover's trust to get Quark out, at the expense of everyone else.

4. Said Quark will disappear, unless someone sticks with him.

5. If left alone the fox will eat the goat.

6. One person always lies and another always tells the truth.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
Fedule: Dragonatrix's 999 LP is up on LParchive, maybe you would like to change the link in the OP?

I think my first full run through VLR was about 40 hours. Then I replayed it using Japanese audio and got 52 (the lines take longer to say). Some of that extra time was also getting dialogue I missed the first time.

whitehelm fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Aug 1, 2013

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

This time round, we don't get to pretend that the order in which we visit places has any bearing on the plot, because we don't even get a choice. Oh well!

Oh, by the way, there's some new music in this update. Eventually

VLR OST: [Placidity]

Listen in: [English/Japanese]

Well, it sure looked like you were trying to get away from us.

I wasn't running away, though...
I just... don't want to talk to you.

Isn't that pretty much the same thing?

Don't you want to find out who killed Alice?
Well, you're not gonna be able to figure that out unless you talk to people.

I don't need to.

Why not?

Who was it?

Why not?

You might be working with them. Both of you could be in on it.

Oh come on, of course we're not--

Forget about it.
There's no point.
It doesn't matter what you tell her, she's never going to believe you.

Just tell us one thing, Clover.

...I noticed something.

And what was that?

Alice figured it out too.
Before she...

What was it?

Anyway, I gotta go.

Hey! Wait! Clover!

[Music fades out]

What's wrong?

I forgot to ask Clover what color her bracelet is now.

Oh. Really? That's it?
Calm down.
She's a cyan pair.

You saw it?

Yeah. Snuck a peek at it when she ran by.

And it looks like Alice's is a... blue solo.

Yeah. Good idea.

You mean what Alice noticed. Were you even listening?

Fine. What did Alice notice?

What are you doing?

I'm investigating.

What are you investigating?

What does it look like I'm investigating?
I'm looking for any clues to what she figured out before she died...

Ha. Found something already.
Have a look.

VLR OST: [Portentousness]

Is that... blood?

Looks like it.
It's darker than Alice's, so it's probably been on her since before she died.

If it's not hers, whose blood is it?

...The old lady?

Maybe.

Do you think Alice... killed her?

Who knows...
She could have just found this somewhere, for all we know.

Hmmm. And you think she figured something out from this handkerchief?

Can't say for sure, but it's definitely a possibility.

We need to figure out what Tenmyouji and Dio's bracelets have changed to.

And we need to find Quark.

Yeah.

Let's take the blue door, then.
We should be able to get to the room Tenmyouji, Quark and Clover went to that way.

[Music fades out]

Lots of beeping and door CGs later...

VLR OST: [Placidity]

Yeah. So this is where Tenmyouji's team went...

I'm going to open it, all right?

How many times do I have to tell you? You don't need to keep asking permission.

Okay, okay...

VLR OST: [Anxiousness]

I'm guessing from your face that Quark is still missing.

This here voice link is a pretty good example of why it's a travesty that Europe never got the English dub.

No sign of him, huh?

Happy?

What?

N-No, of course not. Why would I be?

Then does it hurt?
Are you so terrified about whether or not he's safe that it feels like someone's got your chest in a vice?

Hmph. Didn't think so.
Quark's got 9 BP.
If I find him first, I might make him escape.
So it's better for you if I haven't found him yet.
Am I wrong?

Tenmyouji... what's going on here?
This doesn't sound like you.
I know you're worried about Quark, but--

He's all I've got left.
If something happens to him, I'll... I'll...

Tenmyouji...

It's all my fault.
It wasn't supposed to be like this...

Did you say... brought?

Yes. Zero made me an offer.

W-Wait a minute!
I thought you said you and Quark were abducted like the rest of us!

You mean you came here voluntarily?

Hey! Answer me!
What the hell is going on here?!

Huh?

Why?

Please, just do it.

Aaah!

Eiyaaa!

Calm down. It's not going to hurt you.

Is this some kind of chemical?

Yeah. I found it when I was searching this room.

Good work. It's dark now.

Show me your bracelets again.

That stuff you sprayed us with was luminol, wasn't it?

Yeah. How'd you figure that out?

I guessed when you turned off the light.

Isn't that the stuff they use on cop shows to find blood and... uh... other stuff?

Yeah.

Why did you spray us?

That's all I needed to know.

What?

Neither one of you is Zero Sr.

Are you saying that because there wasn't any reaction from the luminol?

Yup.

Well, you know as much as I do now.
I was just making guesses based on what he was doing.

Sorry, but I've got to go. I need to go look for Quark.

No. I'm sorry, but I can't let that happen.
You dropped a real bomb back there, and I'm not about to just ignore it.
What did you mean when you said that Zero made you an offer?
Why are you here?

Why not?
I don't really understand how, but you seem to have decided that neither of us is Zero Sr., right?

Yeah.

Then why--

I can't tell you, no matter who you are.
Right now we might as well assume Quark is a hostage.
Zero Jr. seems to be aware of everything that goes on here.

Please, I'm asking you...
Put yourself in my shoes.

It won't do you any good.
Whatever you want to know, I don't know anything about it.

No, it's not about what just happened.

Yeah? Then what is...
Oh, I see... you mean his bracelet, right?

Chill, man.
He's a red solo.
I had a look when he was talking.

Oh. Good job.
That, uh, wasn't what I wanted to ask either.

Well what is it then?

When he sprayed us...

...No.

Yeah, you did.

No, I didn't.

No, I'm pretty sure you did.
Not quite so tough when you're scared, huh?

We've got stuff to do! Get going! Move!

Fedule fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 12, 2014

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
So we have magenta, cyan, yellow, green, blue and red, so my best guess is we're mixing a primary colour with a complement. This seems to limit any choices though - if that's true we're stuck with Luna for the third time.

I suppose another possibility is primary colours can pair up with any secondary that has their primary as one of the bases - so red can pair with either yellow or magenta, for example. If that's the case, our options would be either Tenmyouji or Alice.

In any case, it seems the colour breakdown is:

Magenta pair: Sigma/Phi
Green solo: Luna
Red solo: Tenmyouji
Blue solo: Alice
Cyan pair: Clover + Dio/Quark
Yellow pair: K + Quark/Dio

Interesting pairing opportunities, though at least two people will be in trouble if they don't find Quark.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Consider this: What kind of door would you open in each situation?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It depends on whether Zero opens one of the doors and there's a goat inside. Otherwise, I'd go with my first instinct.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

"The muddy-brown-color-you-get-when-you-spill-all-your-paints-into-each-other door is now open."

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Man, I am really just not blown away by VLR's soundtrack. It's all perfectly atmospheric and fits well, but it also is simply unpleasant to listen to in all but a couple cases, like Placidity. It's disappointing - 999 had its share of duds but it had a lot more really good ones than VLR does so far.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

ApplesandOranges posted:

I suppose another possibility is primary colours can pair up with any secondary that has their primary as one of the bases
I was thinking the exact opposite! What if a primary color can only mix with the one secondary color that doesn't contain it?

Red & Cyan, Green & Magenta, Blue & Yellow. Those get you into... three white doors?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Goddamnit, Clover, that's idiotic. You have already told us that you know who killed Alice. You have just sealed your own death.

Scenario A: One or both of Sigma and Phi is indeed "in on it". If we're "in on it", we KNOW who the killer is already, and because you told us you know who did it, we now have a stronger motive to shut you up. You just told the killer's accomplices that you know who the killer is.

Scenario B: Neither of them are "in on it." Now we're both vulnerable to getting ambushed and attacked by the killer because you won't tell us who it is.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Goddamnit, Clover, that's idiotic. You have already told us that you know who killed Alice. You have just sealed your own death.

Scenario A: One or both of Sigma and Phi is indeed "in on it". If we're "in on it", we KNOW who the killer is already, and because you told us you know who did it, we now have a stronger motive to shut you up. You just told the killer's accomplices that you know who the killer is.

Scenario B: Neither of them are "in on it." Now we're both vulnerable to getting ambushed and attacked by the killer because you won't tell us who it is.

Sure. If the 'In on it' is referring to the murders and not something else that's going on in the background. And given that this is a nonary game, who KNOWS what's going on in the background.

I mean it's still stupid as all get out for the same reasons, but just consider that Clover may not be referring to murder as the thing they are in on.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

theshim posted:

Man, I am really just not blown away by VLR's soundtrack. It's all perfectly atmospheric and fits well, but it also is simply unpleasant to listen to in all but a couple cases, like Placidity. It's disappointing - 999 had its share of duds but it had a lot more really good ones than VLR does so far.

Yeah, it's not exactly easy listening, but don't you worry. There're a few good'uns.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

Flea Wars posted:

I was thinking the exact opposite! What if a primary color can only mix with the one secondary color that doesn't contain it?

Red & Cyan, Green & Magenta, Blue & Yellow. Those get you into... three white doors?

That would give people no choice as to their groups, which would be a bit weird. Not saying you're wrong, it'd just be weird.

It would put Sigma with Luna again, though. I'm suddenly not so confident that she'll hit Ally for a third time.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I'd be furious with Clover if she hadn't already been established in 999 as dumb and paranoid. But seriously, goddammit, Clover, you're loving yourself and everyone that's not Zero over for the stupidest reasons. You don't tell people you know who the killer is and not tell them who the killer is. Everyone that does that in any murder mystery gets killed. COME ON.
So yeah, Clover is probably dead meat unless she's full of poo poo and is actually Zero.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Spatula City posted:

I'd be furious with Clover if she hadn't already been established in 999 as dumb and paranoid.

I dunno, in 999 she's fairly intelligent. And her paranoia is justified by the whole situation she's in. But here yeah they kinda turned it up a little too far.

Especially with regards to her being genuinely (as far as we can tell?) surprised about aspects of the Nonary Game that are the exact same as the two she's already been a part of. I mean what :psyduck:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Makes you wonder, is this even the same Clover? :tinfoil:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

It wouldn't really be a handheld mystery adventure game if we didn't spray something with luminol, would it?

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

So now that we have the evidence bullets of the bloody rag, the luminol, and Clover knowing who killed Alice, how long until the trial starts :haw:?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Color Printer posted:

I dunno, in 999 she's fairly intelligent. And her paranoia is justified by the whole situation she's in. But here yeah they kinda turned it up a little too far.

Yeah, that's what I meant by her being different. She seems far too ditzy and scatterbrained in comparison to how she was in the previous game, not to mention far more irrational and prone to bad decisions. You'd think that the absence of her brother would make her less so, since she'd be less protective of people not in her family.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
If I was in a group with a killer and I was the only one knew exactly who they were, you can be drat sure I'd call a meeting and make a general announcement about it. Even if nothing comes of it, gonna make them look mighty suspicious if I turn up dead half an hour later, and presumably they'll realize that.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

In addition to the possibility Onmi pointed out of there being more than one "it" to be in on, it's implicit that he killer is neither of them, or the conversation would have gone very differently. It's more supposed to be "I know who the killer is, and one of you two could be working with them unbeknownst to the other one, assuming both of you aren't. So I can't tell you, just to be safe and avoid spreading that information about to the wrong people."

I mean, her point kind of gets undermined by her revealing that she knew because of some concrete evidence that can be figured out, but if everybody acted in a completely logical way, there wouldn't be much of a story to the game. (Or much of anything, really.)

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
So, it's time for us to do the new page/update dance!

(10 more posts to go!)

Funfact: The next update will address exactly one slightly speculated-upon plot point.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Is it robits?

I bet it's robits. I still don't know what the story with the robots is.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Is it about where Clover keeps her axe? :v:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Fedule posted:

This time round, we don't get to pretend that the order in which we visit places has any bearing on the plot, because we don't even get a choice. Oh well!

I just remembered that this kinda bugged me about 999 more than it really should have, I guess. Almost nothing relevant to the plot happened when you were running around looking for Snake, why did they even bother letting you run to the different rooms in any order indefinitely? What made it even more baffling is when I did it in a different order the second time and OOPS NEW TEXT CAN'T FAST FORWARD.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Good work, fun to read the thread, nothing else I can say as I've already beaten the game, just helping you to get to next page :v:

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
Clover's spate of inappropriate expressions continues. Clearly a glitch in her programming.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Color Printer posted:

I just remembered that this kinda bugged me about 999 more than it really should have, I guess. Almost nothing relevant to the plot happened when you were running around looking for Snake, why did they even bother letting you run to the different rooms in any order indefinitely? What made it even more baffling is when I did it in a different order the second time and OOPS NEW TEXT CAN'T FAST FORWARD.

Yeah for a decent number of playthroughs I was almost convinced that I could save Snake if I just picked the right order in that section.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Okay, the power armor is understandable (well, maybe not, but...) but why is K wearing clothes over his power suit?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Alopex posted:

Clover's spate of inappropriate expressions continues. Clearly a glitch in her programming.

I dunno. Her smiles make some lines even creepier.

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.

Speedball posted:

Okay, the power armor is understandable (well, maybe not, but...) but why is K wearing clothes over his power suit?

I don't think that ever gets explained. Then again, I haven't played this in a long time, so I may be mistaken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Speedball posted:

Why not? If I had sweet armour, I'd put on a cool mantle as well. Just a shame it's only half of one.

• Locked thread