Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
VLR OST: [Strain]

Listen in: [English/Japanese]

Chromatic Doors have opened.
Five minutes remain until Chromatic Doors close.

What the gently caress were you thinking?!
You trying to kill me?!

*Pant* *Pant*
What about Quark?!

What?

Did they find Quark?!

How the gently caress would I know?! I've been here!

What about Tenmyouji and Clover? Have they come back yet?

Look around, rear end in a top hat!
What do you think?

Uh...

Hey! Pay attention! The bracelet!
Do. You. Have. Alice's. Bracelet? Hand it over!

Fine, we can take a different one.
As long as we're in the right group, it shouldn't matter which door we take.

That's not the issue.

Then please, tell me, what the gently caress is the issue?!

Being a human being.
Three of us still haven't arrived. If we leave them behind...

Oh come on! Now you're gonna grow a heart?! If you stay here, you're gonna kill me!

But...

The truth is, I've got a kid. A baby.
I was told that if I didn't win this game, my kid's as good as dead.

That's...

You have to trust me. I swear, it's God's honest truth.
Zero told me to keep it under wraps, but...
I figure I don't have a lot of choice right now.
I'll tell you more once we get inside.
Please...

You have to believe me, K. Please...
If you won't do it for me, do it for my kid.
If I lose, it's all over...
Please...

I understand. Let's go.

Really?

Yes. I have one condition, however.

A condition?

Yes.

Sigma, I want you and Phi to go into one of the doors as well.

Huh?

Dio and I cannot be the only survivors.
I would have the two of you join us. That is my condition.

Damnit. Couldn't make this easy, could you?

What do you say? The decision is yours.

I can't do that.
You're asking me to leave three people to die.

You're going to get us killed!
Is that what you want?!

I can't just leave them behind!

I agree with Sigma. We can't just ditch them.
I'm staying.

Phi...

Bunch of loving idiots...

I see.
I suspected that would be your answer.

You leave me with no choice, then.
My apologies.

...?

Wh...Why...?

Do you actually... believe Dio...?

No, of course not.
I only wish to save you.
If I had not... forced the issue, neither of you would have budged.
Such is your character.

K... What are you... doing...?

I will think about it during the ten seconds that remain.
Goodbye.

[Music fades out]

Two... One... Zero.
Chromatic Doors closing.

Can you stand?

Yeah...
Can we just... sit here for a moment, though?
My body's going to be fine, but...
I think I need a little time to get my feelings sorted out.

I wasn't sure how much time had passed before Phi finally stood up.

And no, you don't get to choose which of the white doors to go through.

VLR OST: [Sinisterness]

Yeah. It said "Security".

The footage from the surveillance cameras might run through here.

Does that mean we'll be able to see what's going on in the rest of the facility?

I'm not sure.
Right now all the screens are dark.

Even if we could activate them, I doubt Zero is just going to let us watch whatever we want.

Yeah... I'm just... I'm worried about them.
We don't know what happened to K and Dio either.

Yeah. Well, let's see what we can do here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
Oh, THIS is the third white door room. I always forgot what it was when trying to remember the puzzle rooms.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
So we are going to find 3 more corpses later aren't we :smith:

Though I wonder what will happen with Quark's 9 BP bracelet? now that he won't be using it anyway...

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Words cannot fully convey my hatred for this room.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
This was one of the last routes I did. Interesting to see us start with it.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, same here - I started with a fully different set of choices. Interesting to see how the story feels when you get conversations and revelations like the GAULEM a LOT earlier in the game.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Dio is an absolute rear end in a top hat. I would have withheld Alice's bracelet if it didn't mean that K would die too, and K seems to be a remarkably up and up guy.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

Onmi posted:

K seems to be a remarkably up and up guy.

Or a logical robot. Unless I missed something we haven't figured out who the android is yet. (assuming for the sake of the story that there's only one)

Is Zero Sr the same person every time you play, or does it switch around depending on who's alive? I guess potentially he/she could also be one of the "dead" people that haven't been shown as dead yet, but this should narrow down things pretty quickly.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I've always wondered how getting punched in the stomach by a guy like K didn't render them unconscious.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

unfair posted:

Or a logical robot. Unless I missed something we haven't figured out who the android is yet. (assuming for the sake of the story that there's only one)

Is Zero Sr the same person every time you play, or does it switch around depending on who's alive? I guess potentially he/she could also be one of the "dead" people that haven't been shown as dead yet, but this should narrow down things pretty quickly.

I'm assuming that it's like 999, where each path does not constitute a whole story, but instead contributes to the overall story. Changing major plot details (like who is zero) between these paths would be a very bad thing to do.

Also, I'm pretty sure Akane dies in the 999 bad ends, so your method wouldn't work in that case.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Podima posted:

Yeah, same here - I started with a fully different set of choices. Interesting to see how the story feels when you get conversations and revelations like the GAULEM a LOT earlier in the game.

That's something I like with this game. There's enough different things going on that each path isn't just a repeat of the others with one changed event, instead the path you take affects what's a mystery and what's dramatic irony (the audience knows but the characters don't).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Onmi posted:

Dio is an absolute rear end in a top hat. I would have withheld Alice's bracelet if it didn't mean that K would die too, and K seems to be a remarkably up and up guy.

This also shows his character well. He could have said "if we stay out here we die anyway" which is perfectly valid and points out the futility of doing so, but instead it's "if we stay out here I die." Total self-centered.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Eh, I would probably say the same thing. I mean, other people getting to live is a nice benefit, but I want to live.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.

Pasteurized Milk posted:

Eh, I would probably say the same thing. I mean, other people getting to live is a nice benefit, but I want to live.

In a situation like this, I'd personally be watching out for number 1. I don't want to die for some chumps who can't work together.

Regardless, we don't know much about Dio. Maybe he has some dark secret where he NEEDS to stay alive.

Or maybe he's just an rear end in a top hat.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Judging by the fact that Phi agreed to vote Ally as did K while Dio was still throwing a hissy fit about not being able to vote, I think it's safe to say that he's an rear end in a top hat.

I mean, Phi agreed to pick Ally and Dio said he'd do the same. So why would he get so bent out of shape about that?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

As much as Dio is a complete rear end in a top hat, I'd be getting just as angry and self-centered in this particular situation too. Wanting to save the others would normally be great. But if they couldn't figure out whatever's going on by now, their chance is gone and 1 minute before the doors close is not the time to be having this loving argument.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Yeah, that whole scene just bugged me. I'm not entirely sure what the hell Sigma and Phi thought they were going to accomplish by not going through a door save maybe being able to have a nine minute conversation with Tenmyouji, Clover and Quark (assuming they all turn up exactly as the doors close) before all of them die anyway.

So Dio's taking the justifed-but-assholeish approach, once again leaving the giant amnesiac robot man to keep everyone grounded.

I love this game.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Even though this clearly seems to be the path for a bad ending once Alice died, I do like that at least we learned a lot, and it wasn't just a bunch of unanswered mysteries. There are little bits of information. Not enough to answer everything, but enough to feel like it wasn't just a waste.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Even though this clearly seems to be the path for a bad ending once Alice died, I do like that at least we learned a lot, and it wasn't just a bunch of unanswered mysteries. There are little bits of information. Not enough to answer everything, but enough to feel like it wasn't just a waste.

It's kind of like the Safe ending from 999 in that regard. Only, well, nowhere near as spectacular or major. I guess you learned a few little important tidbits from the other paths, but the Safe one was the biggie. Maybe there's more information scattered across paths in VLR. That would be nice.

I also really liked how the Safe path was done. Due to the fact that you had to specifically do something to trigger it, it made you feel like that was a real ending (unless you got the dumb stupid fake-out Coffin ending before hand) because things are happening! Mysteries are being solved! Wait oh no what's happening oh god this is bad, fuuuuucccckkkk. :stonk:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Color Printer posted:

(unless you got the dumb stupid fake-out Coffin ending before hand)

God, I know right? I got that as my first ending. If not for the 999 LP and generally being surrounded by people loudly proclaiming the game's awesomeness I might have just given up there and then.

I don't know if it's just something that I missed out on due to the way I happened to play through the game (which was: stumble onto Coffin ending, oh hey this video has numbered doors in it, on hey so does this video) but I never really understood how you were "supposed" to figure 999 out. I mean, I occasionally hear people saying things like the whole game is one big meta-puzzle which you can solve to get the true ending, but beyond vague stuff like sticking with Clover most of the time I never really got what the point was supposed to be.

I did like the Safe ending a whole lot, though. Once I got that, and figured out how to get the True ending, that was the point where not sleeping that night became a foregone conclusion.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

One thing about the Safe ending: you ended up hanging out with all other 7 people (9th Man doesn't count) exactly once. I think that's the only path where you can do that.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Color Printer posted:

One thing about the Safe ending: you ended up hanging out with all other 7 people (9th Man doesn't count) exactly once. I think that's the only path where you can do that.

You do it in the true ending as well, because you team up with Snake after the number 9 door.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

BlazeEmblem posted:

You do it in the true ending as well, because you team up with Snake after the number 9 door.

You team up with Clover twice in the true ending.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

tiistai posted:

This was one of the last routes I did. Interesting to see us start with it.

That's odd, because I remember seeing a poll that showed that this route is the first one most people do. Apparently Luna has a very winning personality.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Kay Kessler posted:

That's odd, because I remember seeing a poll that showed that this route is the first one most people do. Apparently Luna has a very winning personality.

Is it really, though? The fact that it's not the first everyone does means that there are plenty of people who do it later.

Though in my opinion, it's less because Luna has a winning personality and more because your other options (Alice and Tenmyouji) are dicks.

CFBalla
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, I just made that shot. :smug:

njsykora posted:

Words cannot fully convey my hatred for this room.

You and me both, buddy. :saddowns:/\:saddowns:

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Kay Kessler posted:

That's because it's first option, first option, first option and finally first option. It's just being methodical.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I think the dividing line in whether you liked how 999's structure became evident over several plays is whether or not you were okay with how it forced you to see the same scenes or solve the same puzzles as you "felt out" the branches in the plot. I played the game for a few hours every couple of days over the course of like a month so replaying the same sections several times never got too irritating. When I got the coffin ending naturally and had to later replay that sequence to get the real ending it was a week or more later so I didn't really mind seeing it again; I had forgotten a lot of what happened anyway.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
All in all, K seems to be a pretty good guy. Sigma and Phi were being really stupid, about to get themselves killed because they weren't thinking straight emotionally (although, who would in this situation, really?), so K saved their asses.
Also, despite how obvious it would be for K to be a robot, there's no way he actually is for pretty much that reason.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

King of Solomon posted:

Is it really, though? The fact that it's not the first everyone does means that there are plenty of people who do it later.

Though in my opinion, it's less because Luna has a winning personality and more because your other options (Alice and Tenmyouji) are dicks.

I dunno, I did the Alice branch first because I wanted to know what the hell was up with her after the ending of 999.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Podima posted:

I dunno, I did the Alice branch first because I wanted to know what the hell was up with her after the ending of 999.

Same here. I was coming in fresh off 999, so I really wanted to know what the deal was there.

Jynxite
May 1, 2013

King of Solomon posted:

How is Alice a dick? I can see how you could see how Tenmyouji is one, but why Alice? She seems more of a flirty-tired person. Someone who is trying to lighten up the mood while not getting overwhelmed with it herself.

SPEAKING of Tenmyouji, I'd like to talk about him for a few minutes.
First of all, he is one of the players who, so far, we believe to have been contacted by Zero and 'persuaded' to come to this facility, and thus entered the game. What makes him different is that he brought another person along with him for some reason; Quark. This leads me to think that the offer that Zero made Tenmyouji involved Quark in some manner. Perhaps Quark has some chronic disease that Zero could cure, or maybe it was just one of the stipulations to bring Quark along. Either way, he was contacted by Zero and brought to the game voluntarily, even if he did not join voluntarily.

Second, Quark. He's related to Quark in some manner, most likely a grandfather. It's quite obvious Tenmyouji cares about Quark more than everyone else to the point that he would unnecessarily endanger every single other person to ensure his safety. The question is; why the hell did he (potentially) betray his own grandfather, and why did Tenmyouji bring him along in the first place? Also, where the gently caress is he? Questions, questions, questions!

Third, the old woman. There is some relation between him and this dead woman we found, judging by his reaction when we found her. I'm thinking wife or sister, as she seems visually about the same age as Tenmyouji. Quark could possibly identified her if we knew where he loving was. God I hate Quark, he's an annoying little prick. Anyway, maybe she was what Zero offered Tenmyouji? He may have been holding her hostage (similar to Dio's daughter) and wanted something from Tenmyouji. The only question is, what?

Fourth, he's The Badass Old Man. This guy right here is spry and intelligent enough to get the drop on Sigma (not that hard) and Phi (Badass #1) without having to reveal his motives. Not only that, he did it in a way that made him come of as not as much of a prick as Clover (who bugs me so much this game), but rather someone who actually thought out his actions. He seems like a man with a plan, however short-sighted that plan may be.

Finally, what he knows. He said something to Clover that made her trust him, but we're not yet sure what that may be. It might actually be the movement of the rooms, or the rag, or something else that he just knows. Either way, he made the one who trusts nobody trust him, and that makes me incredibly curious. Unfortunately, I have a feeling we're not going to get to find out what he does know, which makes me sad because he's a pretty awesome character.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

King of Solomon posted:

We haven't really seen enough of Alice to make that conclusion, though.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Jynxite posted:

How is Alice a dick? I can see how you could see how Tenmyouji is one, but why Alice? She seems more of a flirty-tired person. Someone who is trying to lighten up the mood while not getting overwhelmed with it herself.

She didn't make the best first impression, that's all. Keep in mind I'm talking about thoughts on characters before even entering the first set of Chromatic Doors.

I'm pretty sure my thought process on that first set of Chromatic Doors was mostly just the idea that I should have kept Clover and Alice together, but it doesn't help that again, neither she nor Tenmyouji made the best first impression.

EDIT: Eh, assuming I'm actually remembering her character from that stage in the story correctly.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Podima posted:

Same here. And I went ally every time until I hit the end of a branch, at which point I went back and betrayed.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Spatula City posted:

Also, despite how obvious it would be for K to be a robot, there's no way he actually is for pretty much that reason.

That depends, are the Three Laws active in this universe?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Bruceski posted:

I believe so, the Gaulem brought them up in the G-Bay.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Bruceski posted:

I'm going to say yes, but that brings up the question of how a Robot can even function in a Nonary game where someone dying, at least in alternate timelines is a fact.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Onmi posted:

I'm going to say yes, but that brings up the question of how a Robot can even function in a Nonary game where someone dying, at least in alternate timelines is a fact.

One: If you allow for robots to be aware of alternate timelines and affected by deaths in them, no robot is going to be useful in any situation.
Two: Asimov tended to have his robots damaged by being close to injured/killed humans, but particularly later on as they evolved they became able to function and recover, not much different from the therapy a human might have to go through. Sigma's getting pretty torn up by these corpses, for example.
Three: even if robots here operate under Asimov's laws, they don't necessarily do so to the same degree. As an example of that Asimov ended his robot series with the robots evolving a Zeroth Law placing "humanity" above "humans" and using mind control to neutralize dangerous people. A robot who had a similar outlook could even kill people if it believed it was for the greater good.

Conclusion: whether or not we're operating under some variant of the Three Laws, I don't think we can say "a robot could not do that".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Podima posted:

Luna looked cute, but this was my reasoning as well. I wasn't as concerned with "winning" the game as this thread seems to have been every time there's a vote.

• Locked thread