Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
I guess they were worried that Lotus's outfit just wasn't skimpy enough in the last game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

legoman727 posted:

...Okay, Clover, what the HELL happened to your outfit? You are not Yoko from Gurren Laggen, stop it.

And I know we had this discussion in the 999 thread, but can we assume that Alice is the mummy from the end?

You're free to assume whatever you want, bro. v:v:v

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

At least Clover is wearing shoes that don't look like souped up stilts this time around.

I'd complain about her outfit but based if those NHK World TV shows I watch every now and again about the type of trendy fashion people wear in Japan nowadays are accurate, her attire seems almost depressingly normal.

Alice is just straight up anime, not encroaching that one any further.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Super Jay Mann posted:

At least Clover is wearing shoes that don't look like souped up stilts this time around.

I don't think you ever see Clover's shoes in 999, just in stuff like concept art, so this should be a non-issue.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I don't think you ever see Clover's shoes in 999, just in stuff like concept art, so this should be a non-issue.

I distinctly remember you do at at least one point:

Kinda hard for me to forget that image! :v:

EDIT: vvv He was thoroughly warned :colbert:

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 25, 2013

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
All I can say is that I really, really hope Sundowner has left by now.

(Unless you've finished and are now catching up, in which case, welcome back! And, I told you so!)

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

jaydee864 posted:

That Batman bit sounded like a George Carlin wordplay sketch, specifically reminding me of this one, and that's awesome. This update has pretty much guaranteed that Phi is most likely going to be my favorite character throughout this game.

Also, for gently caress's sake, Alice, they're called shirts. Learn 'em, love 'em, wear 'em, please.

Yeah, if there's one thing that super bugs me about VLR it's Alice's outfit. Clover's bugged me too but I can at least see where someone would wear that.

AncientSpark
Jan 18, 2013
EDIT: Nothing to see here.

AncientSpark fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 25, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Where was that in 999? I don't remember seeing that, but it's been a while since I played 999.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
That was not in 999.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 25, 2013

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I definitely don't remember that being in 999, but it has been a while for me. I'd love to see where it is if you can find it though.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Artix posted:

I definitely don't remember that being in 999, but it has been a while for me. I'd love to see where it is if you can find it though.

It wasn't. It very definitely wasn't. Not even slightly.

AncientSpark
Jan 18, 2013

Artix posted:

I'm pretty sure that I remember seeing that, but if people are saying that they didn't, I edited it out just in case.

EDIT Again: My mistake, I remembered wrong, whoops. I apologize.

AncientSpark fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 25, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

999's script is on GameFAQs and that doesn't appear anywhere in it.

As for clothing chat! Clover's outfit is dumb, but it's dumb in a way that has personality. Alice's is just... bizzare. Wouldn't the metal bang into her breasts constantly? That can't be comfy.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

KamikazePotato posted:

Alice's outfit is the worst part of the game. That thing is ridiculous.

Count me in as someone who is loving this Easy mode dialogue they missed out on by playing Hard.

Clover's is just as bad.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Taco Defender
Heh, nice Tolkein reference. "One of these days, Witch-king..."

What the hell is that linked-ring thing barely covering Alice? That's not even worth being called clothing. Also, I don't buy that Alice is a mummy from ancient Egypt. Her speech patterns are too modern, and even if she learned a new language, there's no trace of an accent.

Ha ha I like that Phi and Sigma are not getting along at all, and that someone instantly wonders if they've got a thing.

Clover and the other guy must be the green pair. If Zandar is right, that's a nice way of changing the mechanic from last time.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
The one flaw I would say VLR has so far compared to 999 is the lack of danger. At the beginning of 999 we had Junpei trapped in a flooding room, and even afterwards there was a clear time limit before the "ship" sank. Here we've just got a mysterious rabbit on a screen telling Sigma the "elevator" is going to drop (who he has no reason to believe), and now nothing. They're just hanging around in a big room.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

whitehelm posted:

The one flaw I would say VLR has so far compared to 999 is the lack of danger. At the beginning of 999 we had Junpei trapped in a flooding room, and even afterwards there was a clear time limit before the "ship" sank. Here we've just got a mysterious rabbit on a screen telling Sigma the "elevator" is going to drop (who he has no reason to believe), and now nothing. They're just hanging around in a big room.

I will offer the counter argument. All the danger in 999 was (possibly by design) completely artificial. None of the puzzles have timers, and as such any illusion of danger is just that--an illusion. VLR does away with that immediate sense of danger, but in a very real way, the dangers it presents are much more tied into the gameplay this time, as we will see in a few updates.

kiffkin
Feb 13, 2007

Fool! Women called Nyla are always spies!

RentCavalier posted:

...as we will see in a few updates.
So you're telling us about it now because?

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
Now I'm kind of hoping it has Sierra-style death messages. Imagine all the puns they could fit into those!

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

...wait...

...OK, is it just me or do these two look MIGHTY SIMILAR? Could also be the art style, but still. :tinfoil:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I don't think Luna is a funyarinpa, that's just ridiculous.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 25, 2013

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Overflight posted:

...OK, is it just me or do these two look MIGHTY SIMILAR? Could also be the art style, but still. :tinfoil:

The two ponytail-looking things on the sides of her hair (I don't know what they're called) look similar, but that's about it.

Also looking at that GIF, I have to agree with Fedule, that menu button looks like it would get incredibly irritating after a while. :geno:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Not only is Zero III amazing, the banter between Sigma and Phi is great too. This game's localization is overall much improved over 999's, which is really necessary for how wordy it is.

I don't understand why they didn't have Sigma voiced. It had to have been a conscious decision to leave his dialog as "beep beep boop" since everyone else is voiced but I think it really hurts the game.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

It's a really common VN convention not to voice the main character. Fate/Stay Night comes to mind.

Of course, this is usually so the protagonist can act as a cypher for the player, but it's caught on with games that don't have everyman protagonists.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

It's a really common VN convention not to voice the main character. Fate/Stay Night comes to mind.

Of course, this is usually so the protagonist can act as a cypher for the player, but it's caught on with games that don't have everyman protagonists.

Oh, okay. I haven't played any visual novels besides these two games so I didn't know. I still think it's dumb; I can see the logic if you're taking the role of some high school kid hitting on girls (which is what I still think of when I hear "visual novels") but for something like this game I disagree with genre convention.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Actually, Shirou's voiced in F/SN. Well, his mile-a-minute narration isn't, but the actual words he says are, at least in the more dramatic/plot important scenes. Okabe from Steins;Gate is voiced as well, and his VA is probably the best part of a game with a lot of potential 'best parts.'

It's mostly just a legacy thing - back when visual novels only had occasional voice-acting, or almost entirely *were* a high-school kid hitting on girls, it made sense not to voice the protagonist. Nowadays, things that move away from that (or even stuff that is just high school romantic comedy but with a protagonist with an actual personality) don't wanna buck tradition, for whatever reason. That said, I've never felt the absence as strongly as I do here.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

Actually, Shirou's voiced in F/SN. Well, his mile-a-minute narration isn't, but the actual words he says are, at least in the more dramatic/plot important scenes. Okabe from Steins;Gate is voiced as well, and his VA is probably the best part of a game with a lot of potential 'best parts.'

It's mostly just a legacy thing - back when visual novels only had occasional voice-acting, or almost entirely *were* a high-school kid hitting on girls, it made sense not to voice the protagonist. Nowadays, things that move away from that (or even stuff that is just high school romantic comedy but with a protagonist with an actual personality) don't wanna buck tradition, for whatever reason. That said, I've never felt the absence as strongly as I do here.

I was 90% sure someone was going to call me out on F/SN, I only read the LP and I thought he didn't have VA from the video's I watched, but I guess I remembered wrong.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

I was 90% sure someone was going to call me out on F/SN, I only read the LP and I thought he didn't have VA from the video's I watched, but I guess I remembered wrong.
Like I said, I think his VA was on-and-off. He definitely had VA in the more pivotal combat scenes in Heaven's Feel.

EDIT: Let's Play Virtue's Last Reward - a Noriaki Sugiyama discussion thread.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 25, 2013

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

It's probably best not to dwell on Alice's outfit, but her breastplate seems to cover the exact area that Lotus's bustier didn't, and I'll bet that was deliberate. Also, now I understand why Fedule was worried about .gif compression in the sandcastle. It makes Alice look like she has plaque psoriasis, or maybe freezer-burn.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Endorph posted:

Like I said, I think his VA was on-and-off. He definitely had VA in the more pivotal combat scenes in Heaven's Feel.

EDIT: Let's Play Virtue's Last Reward - a Noriaki Sugiyama discussion thread.

All of Shiro's lines are voiced with the voice patch except for the 18+ scenes, where no one was voiced anyway because the voice files are taken from the console port. In its original release for the PC, Fate/stay night didn't have voice acting at all.

Keep in mind that this isn't a new thing for the Infinity games, which VLR is a spiritual successor of. Neither Takashi or the Kid in Ever17 were voiced in their own routes, although (Ever17 spoilers) this is sort of a plot element in and of itself.

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 25, 2013

TeWuicah
Nov 7, 2009
I think it's partly a legacy of the dating sim history VNs in general have, partly a way of cutting down production costs. If you're going to have a POV protagonist, he's going to be around for pretty much the entire plot, so he's going to have way more lines than anyone else. Some VNs get around this by having the protagonist voiced only occasionally, but I find that a lot more jarring than just having the protagonist completely unvoiced.

The reason it feels off here is probably because of the way the LP is presented. Not to blame Fedule here because this is a great way to show off VLR and I don't exactly have a better solution, but it never bothered me when I was actually playing VLR. That's because I could just jam the A buttong and skip past Sigma's beep boops at my own pace, but here you have to wait for him to finish.

FishOnAPiano
Oct 9, 2012

Overflight posted:

I've been thinking the same ever since I saw the cast pic that was posted over in the 999 thread, but figured it was just me being silly, since I couldn't really see any reason for there to suddenly be a new relative of Akane's popping up.
Not to mention I can't even really point out why they seem similar, apart from holding pretty much the exact same pose.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Overflight posted:

...wait...

A lot of the characters share a visual shorthand with the 999 ones. Note that this is only *visual* style. It's not any sort of clue as to motivations or anything.
Luna -- June, the innocent waif
Phi -- Santa, scrawny, white hair, snarky attitude
Sigma -- Junpei, protagonist, dark hair, similar hairstyle, kinda gangly
Alice -- Lotus, hairstyle, "barely clothes" clothing
Dio -- Snake, laid-back confident stance
Quark -- Clover, the kid
Tenmiyoji -- Probably Ace, older guy, serious but not unkind expression, but like the 9th Man the first thing I see about him is his neck. Unkempt look, slightly wild hair, he could be either one.
Currently-unnamed metal guy -- Seven, the mountain

Which leaves Clover as Nine or Ace. I'd have to see more of her to tell if she evokes one or the other.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Oh, Alice. So that's what slowbeef was talking about, the gigantic necklace covering her nipples. Okay.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
Sigma not being voiced really stuck out to me at the beginning of the game, but I got used to it really fast and didn't notice it after 5-10 minutes.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Yeah, it's much more noticeable when he's having a half-voiced conversation with Phi, but then other characters show up and start conversing among themselves and everything's better again.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Luna looks more like an Audino to me than June.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Ha ha, that's silly, she...

...goddammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fumbles
Mar 22, 2013

Can I get a reroll?

So when will she start suplexing puzzles, you think?

• Locked thread