Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xernoia
May 4, 2013
On thinking about it, since VLR does seem to draw a few inspirations from DR, maybe it's NOT the word Dio and it's exactly what it seems to be at first glance? 016 could be a serial number for a robot, or it could be 910 or 019 or 610 if you get into the whole 'its flipped around' thing.

If you mess with letter-number stuff, 016 could be ?-A-F or just the letter P.... Which would seem to imply Phi, if it's meant to simply point at the 16th letter of the alphabet.

610 could be F-A-? or F-J. I can't think of anything that those letters would mean.

019 could be ?-A-I or just the letter S. AI would imply Zero III or perhaps just a robot was the killer. The letter S would imply Sigma if it's meant to point to the 19th letter of the alphabet.

910 could be I-A-? or I-J. Like 610 I can't think of what either IA or IJ could mean.

I do like though, even if I'm completely off base with this, that interpretations of it point to both the letter P and the letter S. If that's not what's actually going on, and it is just Dio backwards or a straight serial number, I wonder if they intended for it to line up like that?

EDIT: And just because the idea struck me, given the color theme, the numbers 016 and 019 are both shades of Blue while the numbers 910 and 610 are shades of Red in Color Hex Codes. I have no idea if there's any signifigance to that, except that Red and Blue were somewhat important colors in 999, and they both make Purple, which was a very signifigant color in 999...

EDIT2: If you offset the letter-number thing with A as 0, 016 gives you A-B-G, as in the AB Game! I'm not sure what kind of hint that would be, though. Alternatively it points at the letter Q, which would imply Quark instead of Phi! 019 gives you A-B-J, but I can't think of anything that ABJ could stand for. It, alternatively, points to the letter T, which implies Tenmyouji instead of Sigma! It's possible this is entirely coincidence, but I find it interesting that A=1 points at Sigma and Phi as a pair while A=0 points at Tenmyouji and Quark as a pair!

(Just for completeness, 910 using 0 as A gives you J-B-A or J-K. Maybe she's 'Just Kidding' about being dead?' 610 gives you G-B-A or G-K. GBA I would laugh if it turns out a Gameboy Advance turns up in the game, and GK I GUESS could mean 'Get K' or something, but I doubt it.)

Xernoia fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Battle Pigeon posted:

I do like the idea Dio being thwarted via a simple puzzle though. :v:

"Utpay the eykay in the ocklay? What the gently caress is this poo poo? Zero, you astardbay!"

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Here's something: Remember how the game is now available on the 3DS eShop? Well, Aksys are claiming they fixed the infamous save glitch in that version, so now you can feel free to save whenever you want!

Of course, you still have to worry about what happens if you lose your 3DS or get a new one or do any of the other things which Nintendo's archaic DRM system doesn't allow, but hey! Progress!

E: I'm hearing reports that the "fix" is that they just disabled saving in the room most frequently associated with the glitch (supposedly it can happen anywhere although 99% of cases involve one specific room (which we haven't seen yet)). So, er... I dunno. Videogames, man.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 25, 2013

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
While we're ragging on the eShop, VLR has been available in the European (or at least the Danish) eShop for a good while now, but of course it's more expensive there ($35~ USD), and it doesn't have the English dub, so you're literally paying more money for less product.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Fedule posted:

Here's something: Remember how the game is now available on the 3DS eShop? Well, Aksys are claiming they fixed the infamous save glitch in that version, so now you can feel free to save whenever you want!

Of course, you still have to worry about what happens if you lose your 3DS or get a new one or do any of the other things which Nintendo's archaic DRM system doesn't allow, but hey! Progress!

E: I'm hearing reports that the "fix" is that they just disabled saving in the room most frequently associated with the glitch (supposedly it can happen anywhere although 99% of cases involve one specific room (which we haven't seen yet)). So, er... I dunno. Videogames, man.

Here's my experience with the game on the 3ds when it came out:

Saving in the 'problem' room can case your game to crash and give you corrupted data. The game can still crash in other areas and it can still crash/save in some other puzzle rooms but a crash/corrupt save is very very rare.

I've lost a save to this problem room, but I've had crashes in other rooms which didn't cause me to lose my save.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Xernoia posted:

019 gives you A-B-J, but I can't think of anything that ABJ could stand for.

Applewood Bacon & Jelly. Clearly she was attempting to order a sandwich.

Xernoia
May 4, 2013

W.T. Fits posted:

Applewood Bacon & Jelly. Clearly she was attempting to order a sandwich.

Of course! Alice got spaghetti all over herself and Clover and Tenmyouji just got some of the jelly from their AB&J Sammiches on their hands.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

All we're missing is a submarine.

Poulpe posted:

Why is Dio's bracelet still on? Isn't it supposed to fall off after you've died?
HE'S FAKING! BE CAREFUL SIGMA AND PHI! :tinfoil:

He's probably not faking, but I don't think he's clinically dead, either. Assuming he didn't die from shock, he could live for several hours with an abdominal wound like that. If he doesn't go septic and does get medical attention pretty soon, he could pull through. :unsmith:

But he'll probably live just long enough to deliver a cryptic hint before Quark finishes everyone off.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Instant Grat posted:

While we're ragging on the eShop, VLR has been available in the European (or at least the Danish) eShop for a good while now, but of course it's more expensive there ($35~ USD), and it doesn't have the English dub, so you're literally paying more money for less product.

The most beautiful thing about all this is that the 3DS is region locked (gently caress you too, Nintendo). Europeans and Australians really got the short end this time.

Xernoia
May 4, 2013

RoeCocoa posted:

All we're missing is a submarine.

He's probably not faking, but I don't think he's clinically dead, either. Assuming he didn't die from shock, he could live for several hours with an abdominal wound like that. If he doesn't go septic and does get medical attention pretty soon, he could pull through. :unsmith:

But he'll probably live just long enough to deliver a cryptic hint before Quark finishes everyone off.
Oh thats true... Stomach and abdominal wounds are the worst I've heard, because they wont ever kill you quickly. Like getting shot in the stomach is painfull enough to floor you and leave you on the ground for hours and hours >.<

Also though, since he's impaled, he probably hasn't had too much blood loss or anything else like that, which is good! If he is still alive, he might be too delirious or outright comatose to be much use, but maybe they can get something out of him? I'm not sure if this place has any supplies that would make saving him likely, though. A major injury like that seems like it would need lots of surgery and I don't think either Sigma or Phi have mentioned any kind of medical skills?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Regarding the blood Clover used, it's probably Tenmyouji's.

My guess is Tenmyouji was knocked out before they were handcuffed together, also getting cut in the struggle somehow, and Clover in an effort to out their killer used his blood to write it.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
So, I leave the thread for a few days, and everyone ends up dead.

Way to go, goons. I'm blaming you all for this. :colbert:

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

:psyduck: what the flying gently caress is going on. I left this thread alone for a while and got to read quite a few updates in a row. What a rollercoaster this path is.

I guess this does steer heavily into answering what K is; quite human as it turns out. Or a bot in a ketchup suit. And since the idea is floating about that the android could quite easily be drat strong, I'll wait until the next update to rule out that Dio is actually dead. Game is crazy enough as it is so he could be the bot, which would've let him swing that axe with ease. And then fake his death for more :psylon:MURDERBOTTING:psylon:.

e: my guess is those weapons came from the posed armored figures in the back?

Mindblast fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Aug 26, 2013

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
So, yeah, I'm sitting here with the update all ready and stuff but I'm not going to post it because Lpix is still in a state of quantum up/downtime or whatever it is baldurk is doing over there. So I'm going to go play a couple hundred rounds of Divekick and see if it's fixed by the time I'm done.

That's right. It's my thread and yet I'm waiting on an update.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Shei-kun posted:

So, I leave the thread for a few days, and everyone ends up dead.

Way to go, goons. I'm blaming you all for this. :colbert:

Hey now, not everyone is dead, just most of them. Yay goons, you didn't kill everyone! :buddy:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Livingtrope posted:

Hey now, not everyone is dead, just most of them. Yay goons, you didn't kill everyone! :buddy:

Now now, don't jump to conclusions. The day's not over yet. :v:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Alright. Apparently Lpix is up and running again so I can finally post this thing.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

VLR OST: [Desperation]

That's why I can look at a room full of corpses and laugh.

The genes I've been given by a million years of evolution have changed my fear into ecstasy.

Yeah.
You're right. He is still out there.

I mean, you said yourself that there was no way there was a tenth uninvited player out there when Alice was killed.
And we've also refuted the possibility of Zero Sr. being the tenth person.
There is no tenth person.
The only people alive are you, me, and Quark.

Listen in: [English/Japanese]

You're being ridiculous. Look at their bodies.

Do you really think a child Quark's size could do that?

Are you saying you killed them?

And just when would I have done that?
I've been with you this whole time.

Listen in: [English/Japanese]

Checking their bodies, like before.
I decided to start with Dio.

Find anything?

Yeah. Two things, actually.

Oh?

Take a look at this.

Yeah.

There's something engraved on the blade, too.

Donno. It's not a name I've ever heard of before.

But look at the handle. You've seen it before, right?

Right.

From the looks of it, I'd guess the blade is about 15 cm long.
I'd say it's probably about 3 cm tall, and 3 mm wide.

Hmm... I think I've heard those numbers before...

Yeah, that's it! When Luna scanned the old woman's body, those were the numbers it gave us for the wound!

Hmm...

"Wound length" would be how long it is from top to bottom...
And "wound width" would be how wide the flat end of the wound is.

In other words...

Those numbers describe the size and shape of the wound, right?

Right.

So if they match, then that means this knife was ued to kill the old woman!

He must have... gotten it from Alice.

I know that.
What I mean is, why'd he take it?

Maybe he was the one who killed Alice...

That would match up with what we saw...

No, wait. Hold on a second. I'm getting confused here.

Right.

So Dio took it from her and stabbed her?

If that's what happened, why didn't he just take the knife then?
Why leave it there for us to see, then come back and get it later?

First I want you to have a look at something else.

What?

Don't you remember what I said? I found two things.
There was the knife, and...

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Fedule, you are a master of suspense. :allears:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I'm trying to figure out what the potential endgame for this route is and I'm completely at a loss :psyduck:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Fedule, you are a master of suspense. :allears:

I think Fedule's been hanging around orenoren too long.

Assuming Dio's the one who killed both Alice and the lady though, that still implies a time he was conscious before the AB game started. He woke up with Quark though, so there's something.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Myrmidons, huh? There's a Fire Emblem joke here somewhere.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

ApplesandOranges posted:

Assuming Dio's the one who killed both Alice and the lady

So,

- Dio kills the lady
- Dio hides the knife
- Alice finds the knife
- Dio knows Alice found it, takes it from her and kills her with it, leaving the knife in the body
- Everybody finds the dead Alice, sees the knife
- Clover and Luna have an argument, Clover runs away
- Dio comes in to the room, finds Luna in whatever state she's in, leaves after pocketing the knife and "this thing" from Alice's body

Why?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Kay Kessler posted:

Myrmidons, huh? There's a Fire Emblem joke here somewhere.

Here is a Secret™: I went from LPing Fire Emblem to LPing VLR just so someone could make this connection and not at all because I wanted to LP VLR a lot and there were no more Fire Emblem games left to LP.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

tiistai posted:

So,

- Dio kills the lady
- Dio hides the knife
- Alice finds the knife
- Dio knows Alice found it, takes it from her and kills her with it, leaving the knife in the body
- Everybody finds the dead Alice, sees the knife
- Clover and Luna have an argument, Clover runs away
- Dio comes in to the room, finds Luna in whatever state she's in, leaves after pocketing the knife and "this thing" from Alice's body

Why?

Alternate possibility: assuming someone else is the killer, maybe once Dio came in and saw Luna dead, he took the knife for self-protection. Wouldn't be a huge leap of logic.

And the thing is the key, isn't it? Alice took it while we were going through the GAULEM bay.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Fun fact: In the Japanese version, the writing on the knife doesn't say "Myrmidons", it says "Claydolls". I'll let you make of that what you will.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Instant Grat posted:

Fun fact: In the Japanese version, the writing on the knife doesn't say "Myrmidons", it says "Claydolls". I'll let you make of that what you will.

Be very careful when discussing this change.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I would have thought Myrmidon would be an Achilles reference before a Fire Emblem reference.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
Huh.. okay. So maybe Dio and K got in a scrap over what I'm (still) assuming is K's head-key, and wound up killing one another? Though how two people could fight one another and have their bodies left in that state is beyond me...

We're uh.. remarkably low on suspects here guys.
Maybe Sigma actually got up and murdered them during his "down time" and Phi failed to mention that he went for a walk? This is really quite puzzling.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
But Phi was in the security room. I don't think she would've been unable to notice Sigma heading over towards the Rec Room.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Fedule posted:

Hey people Myrmidons/Claydolls means Gaulems! :haw:

Poulpe posted:

We're uh.. remarkably low on suspects here guys.
I assume everyone ignoring the giant bunny mascot that's also the mouthpiece of the game's villain is all part of the act?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Pierzak posted:

Hey people Myrmidons/Claydolls means Gaulems! :haw:
They're probably the only ones in the facility with the strength necessary to cleave K's armor with an axe blade.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Super Jay Mann posted:

I'm trying to figure out what the potential endgame for this route is and I'm completely at a loss :psyduck:

I was so sure Quark or Dio would be the murderer running around but then we come in here and both K and Dio have been brutally murdered with big rear end weapons. I don't know anything anymore. :psyduck:

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Super Jay Mann posted:

I think this route focuses on the consequences of the characters not trusting one another. Sigma allying with Luna twice improved the trust between those two, but being the only set of players to ally in the first round may have rubbed salt in the wound of the other two sets who lost a lot of trust. This game relies completely on unanimous trust. Zero III even stated that it's possible for everyone to go through the 9 door, but if one person decides to be selfish, then all of a sudden a sense of urgency is added to the game. It becomes a race against time to earn nine points as quickly as possible in order to not be left behind. Alliances then get forged between 2 or 3 people rather than the entire 9 players. Which would itself be fine, but then teams get swapped every round. Then it becomes a question of if you can trust your new teammate or not.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

But Phi was in the security room. I don't think she would've been unable to notice Sigma heading over towards the Rec Room.

The couch Sigma went to lay down on was on the direct opposite side of the room from the bank of monitors Phi was using to review the security footage; her back would've been to Sigma the whole time.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Artist challenge: somebody draw little Quark taking a battleaxe to K and a lance to Dio. Or possibly just standing there with those oversized armaments in his hands.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Paracelsus posted:

They're probably the only ones in the facility with the strength necessary to cleave K's armor with an axe blade.

Well, it's not so much a matter of strength as much as the fact that axes beat lances in the weapon triangle.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Fedule posted:

Claydolls probably references the Terracotta Army, since both they and Myrmidons were ancient warriors who obeyed without question.

The most obvious reference is to the Gaulems, and seems to implicate that they were intended primarily as a military force.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Clearly, the killer is Mist.

Someone told her they were all evil people, and we know how powerful she is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishOnAPiano
Oct 9, 2012
Crackpot theory time.
Quark died sometime before the game started, Tenmyoji entered the game on the condition he'd be brought back as a gaulem (either knowingly or unknowing of the whole "he's actually a robot" thing) and little Quarkbot's gone insane and is killing everyone with his gaulem strength.

• Locked thread