Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vateke
Jun 29, 2010

Bruceski posted:

Dangit, I picked this game up to experience it firsthand (I really missed out on the puzzle rooms getting the game in audiobook format) and now I can't stop playing. I need to sleeeeep...

I played it for about 36 hours straight. I feel your pain.

(And in the end I fell asleep and finished it off in the morning.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

Vateke posted:

I played it for about 36 hours straight.

Geez, man!! :stare:

Vateke
Jun 29, 2010

HelloWinter posted:

Geez, man!! :stare:

I was temporarily unemployed, and just could not put it down. I HAD TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENED NEXT.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I just got the common freeze-up point so I'll post a reminder to anyone with the 3DS version, :siren:do not save in puzzle rooms and save before entering one:siren:. It won't prevent the freeze I got, but the puzzle rooms have a chance of corrupting save files. At least I just need to redo the room rather than the whole game.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Vateke posted:

I played it for about 36 hours straight. I feel your pain.

(And in the end I fell asleep and finished it off in the morning.)

I thought my 20 straight hours with 999 was bad :stare:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

If I played 999 in one go for that long, I would have been an emotional wreck at the end of it, jesus christ. :catstare:

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

I want to unpack the things we know right now but I'm really worried about unintentional spoilers. Is there someone I should PM to screen it? I have no knowledge at all about anything about this game beyond what we know from 999 and so far in this lp.

I know nothing of the characters or any of their motivations or anything but I feel like I can unpack a substantial amount of speculation based on two facts we've been presented with.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Zyla posted:

I want to unpack the things we know right now but I'm really worried about unintentional spoilers. Is there someone I should PM to screen it? I have no knowledge at all about anything about this game beyond what we know from 999 and so far in this lp.

I know nothing of the characters or any of their motivations or anything but I feel like I can unpack a substantial amount of speculation based on two facts we've been presented with.

Two facts that were presented in the game and not the thread? Go ahead, speculation is hardly against the rules. It's not a spoiler if you don't know it's true.

I mean, if you really want you can PM me, but I'd just end up spoiling you if your speculation was right.

e: Also, you're almost certainly wrong, no matter how right you think you are :v:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Zyla posted:

Guessing right isn't spoilers as long as you are, in fact, guessing. If you genuinely haven't played VLR before and no one has told you any details (and you're not just forgetting what things are revealed in what game (contrast: the guy who thought a certain detail was raised in 999 and consequently posted a late-game spoiler in this thread for four minutes)) then speculate away.

Though, just saying, the knowledge pool is gonna increase in depth in a few minutes.

(That means, update soon)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Fedule posted:

(contrast: the guy who thought a certain detail was raised in 999 and consequently posted a late-game spoiler in this thread for four minutes))

In his defense, the exact same spoiler was blatanly on 999's Wikipedia page for some time until recently.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Waffleman_ posted:

In his defense, the exact same spoiler was blatanly on 999's Wikipedia page for some time until recently.

That just means some Wiki editor is a total moron (or a really good troll, since, like a lot of spoiler-material, it seems like a harmless flavour detail to those who don't actually know the plot of VLR).

I think, just to be on the safe side, I'm going to add an "Assume Dangan Ronpa Conditions" clause to the OP. Keep as clean a slate as you can. Don't Google or Wiki anything related to the game (or even 999), don't search for fanart, and make this thread your info source.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
VLR OST: [Eeriness]

Who the gently caress is Clover?

Sorry. I'll be quiet now.

Listen in: [English/Japanese]

(What's going on here? Do these two know each other?)

Nothing.
She was like that when I woke up.
I really wouldn't worry, though. She should be all right.
Her breathing is steady. I believe she's only sleeping.

Then she hasn't woken up since they kidnapped her.

Ah... kidnapped?
Begging your pardon, but... I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean.
...Where are we? And... who are you?

How about you tell us who you are first.
You leap out of that box dressed like some kinda robot, carrying an unconscious girl, and we've only got your word that you didn't make her that way. I think you owe us an explanation, pal!

I'm...

I don't remember. I don't remember... anything.
I have no idea where I am, who I am, or even what day it is.

If you happen to know any of those things, I would very much appreciate it if you shared that information.
Not knowing one's identity is... vexing.

How are we supposed to take you seriously when you're wearing this... this... this robot suit! We can't even see your face!
Are you going to tell us someone forced you into that thing?

I assume so? It seems the most reasonable explanation.
When I woke up, I was wearing this... armor, I suppose you could call it?

You look pretty calm for a man who doesn't know who he is.

"Look"? That's an odd choice of words.
I'm wearing a mask. How would you know how I "look"?

Our amnesiac robot friend here is voiced by Travis Willingham in English and Daisuke Ono in Japanese. Travis Willingham mostly does anime dubs - he's Roy Mustang in Full Metal Alchemist, Portgas D. Ace in One Piece, and Zetsu in Naruto Shippuden - although you might also know him as the current voice of Knuckles in Sonic. He's also married to Laura Bailey. Daisuke Ono's breakout role was Itsuki Koizumi in The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, and since then he's been Shizuo Heiwajima in Durarara!!, Jotaro Kujo in JoJo's Bizzare Adventure, and Sebastian Michaelis in Kuroshitsuji.

Uhh...

Oh! She's waking up!

[Music fades out]

Al... ice...
Where... are we...?

VLR OST: [Placidity]

No... no, that can't...

Clover is voiced by Wendee Lee in English and Yukari Tamura in Japanese. Wendee Lee is officially the most prolific voice actor in anime dubs, with notable starring roles being Haruhi Suzumiya in The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Faye Valentine in Cowboy Bebop and Konata Izumi in Lucky ☆ Star, in addition to a bunch of lower-profile game work . Yukari Tamura got famous as both the voice of Nanoha Takamachi in Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha and the author and artist of its adaptations' theme songs - plus she's been Suzuha Amane in Steins;Gate and Bernkastel in Umineko (game and animation both in both cases).

When? That's a difficult question...
I suppose... when I was born? I don't remember anything of my life. Assuming I had one...

It's a type of memory loss.
People affected by it retain knowledge like... language, social common sense, memorized facts, abilities they've learned...
...But anything that has to do with, um, themselves, is just... lost. It's a very serious condition.
Most research suggests that it's mainly psychological, not physiological, but in very rare instances it has been shown to result from severe head trauma.

Do you have any idea what might have caused it?

Hmm...
Maybe I had a really bad breakup? Ha ha ha...

This guy's obviously full of it!
Don't tell me you're actually buying this?!

Didn't I tell you that?

Yeah, well, I just thought...

There's a box here. Maybe it's some sort of locking thing, like the ones next to the elevators?

Huh.

Hey... what do you think that is?

What?

That graffiti over there.
See? On the wall.

"Two milkmen go comedy." I'm... not sure what that's supposed to mean.

Maybe it's saying that a pair of milkmen decided to become comedians?
Still just kinda sounds like nonsense, though...

I think it's somebody's way of saying hello.

Uh... what?

You heard me.

Yeah, I did, I just... What the hell was that supposed to mean?

An Anna-Gram?

You've never heard of an anagram?

It's a kind of, um, wordplay where you move the letters around to create something else. Right?

Exactly... Watch.

Oh... okay.
If you switch it around... Yeah, that makes sense. Huh...

Mm. Exactly.

Seems like somebody was expecting us, doesn't it?

Yeah, but...

Where are they?
Pretty rude to invite somebody over and not even offer them a drink.

Listen in (recommended!): [English/Japanese]

True.

[Music fades out]

He he he... Eee he he he he he he he...
Eee he he he he he he he he he he...

Huh?

Look! Over there!

VLR OST: [Eeriness]

You can't say what I'm about to say before I say it.

Zero...

I've got a plan, you know. I can't just tell you everything at once.

Athough things are starting to get exciting...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

quote:

Do these really have to be gifs? There's really no motion other than the marker at the end.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Oooh, I like Placidity. Very nice.

The designs for this game are incomparably silly, though.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Fedule posted:

Don't Google or Wiki anything related to the game (or even 999)

"It's from 999? I didn't know that. Let's google it and see where it saaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH" -Me, yesterday

Don't be like me. :smith:

On the topic of the update, I see we have our clear Seven analogue. I wonder if he'll be given a similarly silly nickname.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Why is Clover acting surprised? That's exactly what happened last time!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Waffleman_ posted:

Do these really have to be gifs? There's really no motion other than the marker at the end.

Those very definitely do not have to be gifs. And yet!

Madrick11
Aug 6, 2011

An Angry Duck is approaching

King of Solomon posted:

Why is Clover acting surprised? That's exactly what happened last time!

Not to mention, Clover is the one who brought that up during 999.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Clover's model bugs me, but not for the "caveman Barbie" reasons (though is that ball on her head SUPPOSED to look like a skull or am I just morbid). Every one of her stances is smiling and happy, when she's supposed to be in shock and terror. Look at this thing, why does she have a smile? It feels like they did most of the character design independant of the story, then made them work as best they could. When she's talking it looks okay, but then she snaps back to that grin.

On another note, if you don't like those moments of "startling revelation" *show everyone doing a reaction pose*, get used to it. It happens almost as much as in Golden Sun.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Voice Actor recap:
Phi - Nanako
Dio - Akihiko
Tenmyouji - Dojima
Quark - Chie
Luna - Rise
Clover - Sayoko
Robot man - Theodore
Alice - Elizabeth
Zero - Labrys

Going between Persona 4 Golden and this game was an interesting experience.

Seshoho Cian fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 26, 2013

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Bruceski posted:

Every one of her stances is smiling and happy, when she's supposed to be in shock and terror. Look at this thing, why does she have a smile? It feels like they did most of the character design independant of the story, then made them work as best they could. When she's talking it looks okay, but then she snaps back to that grin.

On the other hand, this could be an indication she's going psycho early. She smiled quite a bit when she had the axe.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Seshoho Cian posted:

Voice Actor recap:
Phi - Nanako
Dio - Akihiko
Tenmyouji - Dojima
Quark - Chie
Luna - Rise
Clover - Sayoko
Robot man - Theodore
Alice - Elizabeth
Zero - Labrys

Sigma - Kanji

...Just not in the game itself. Which is a damned shame, because Troy Baker is always amazing.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Zero responded to Phi, so that's not a pre-recorded message, unless Phi is Zero. Mind you, she did work out that anagram really quickly considering how many letters that was.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

whitehelm posted:

On the other hand, this could be an indication she's going psycho early. She smiled quite a bit when she had the axe.
Without spoiling anything, Clover's character models are just kind of weird with her expressions. There are many times where they don't quite match what she is saying and the tone behind it. It's even odder because there is a variant of that model where she's frowning after speaking in that same pose, but it just isn't used for some reason.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I'm listening to the Japanese voicing for the first time, and I can't help but notice that pretty much all of the English writing and proper nouns ("Ambidex Room," "Pair," "Solo," "Nonary Game: Ambidex Edition," "Two Milkmen Go Comedy!") is still rendered and spoken by the characters in English. Speaking as someone who has no real familiarity with Japanese language media, is this common? Is the audience expected to know enough English to be able to follow along with what the phrases mean and the characters rearranging the letters?

Also, wow, Tenmyouji sounds totally different in the Japanese voices. Instead of a grumpy old dude he sounds like a doddering senior citizen.

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.

Bruceski posted:

Clover's model bugs me, but not for the "caveman Barbie" reasons (though is that ball on her head SUPPOSED to look like a skull or am I just morbid).

I think the balls on her head are supposed to be eggs, I could be wrong.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Bruceski posted:

Clover's model bugs me, but not for the "caveman Barbie" reasons (though is that ball on her head SUPPOSED to look like a skull or am I just morbid). Every one of her stances is smiling and happy, when she's supposed to be in shock and terror. Look at this thing, why does she have a smile? It feels like they did most of the character design independant of the story, then made them work as best they could. When she's talking it looks okay, but then she snaps back to that grin.

Yeah, I really dislike what they did to Clover's design in this game. Or her personality, for that matter.

On the plus side, Phi has a great sense of humor.

On a different note, is it just me, or do those pre-rendered character shots look really cheap and low-budget? It bothered me throughout the entire game. It's weird because the actual character models they use look fine, for the most part, but all the prerendered stuff just looks off.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

lotus circle posted:

Without spoiling anything, Clover's character models are just kind of weird with her expressions. There are many times where they don't quite match what she is saying and the tone behind it. It's even odder because there is a variant of that model where she's frowning after speaking in that same pose, but it just isn't used for some reason.

It was a joke. I doubt anyone actually thinks the next update will be her pulling out an axe.

Zeeco
Jan 4, 2012
Which 999 character do you think robot friend is? We can't see him and he has amnesia so he conveniently can't identity himself or anyone else which probably means he's someone we know and voice filtering would stop Clover and Alice from recognizing him.

Also I like his voice, I was expecting him to sound a lot more monotone.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Was that a "Who the gently caress is Alice?" joke at the beginning of the update?

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

Two facts that were presented in the game and not the thread? Go ahead, speculation is hardly against the rules. It's not a spoiler if you don't know it's true.

I mean, if you really want you can PM me, but I'd just end up spoiling you if your speculation was right.

e: Also, you're almost certainly wrong, no matter how right you think you are :v:

Heh, I'm glad of that.

I'll just go with it then:

Zyla's Thinking Way Too Hard About Words: Part the First*

*who knows if more of these will come to me :v:

Trigger warnings: :spergin::words:

So this game is the Nonary Game: Ambidex Edition.

We can unpack Nona - Nine. It's a new edition of the same game we're familiar with. We again have nine characters, each with a three and a color on their bracelets.

If we assume nine to continue to be a theme, then it seems obvious that it will take three people to open a door. 3+3+3 = 9. We don't know if there will be different numbered doors. I feel like the colors and the blending of them will be significant to the opening of the colored doors as someone has already pointed out.

Ambidex is the really interesting word to me.

That Zero 3 makes this the Ambidex edition calls a lot of attention to "Ambidex". It seems clear that it is a descriptor of the game to the point where Zero III is comfortable drawing the theme around it.

Since the last game seemed to work with a lot of puns, and even the title of this game (and the title of the LP :tinfoil:) operates on that theme, then it seems to stand to reason that words are really important and will probably have multiple meanings - (see: 0 being the o bracelet, the 9 being a q in the incinerator.).

The two parts of the word are "Ambi" and "dex". Ambidextrous/Ambidexterity comes immediately to mind - this generally refers to the ability to use either hand interchangeably with some skill.

"Ambi-" is a root that invokes versatility - it means AROUND, ABOUT & BOTH.

Ambidextrous is the most obvious word constructed out of it.

Amb/Ambi also forms other really important words:

Amble - leisurely moving around - We're certainly going to do a lot of moving around. Leisurely is interesting. Could be significant as to the level of danger everyone's in, or the priorities of Zero III.
Ambition - eagerness for achievement and honor - Motivation for this nonary game?
Ambiguous - uncertainty - "Ambidex" is ambiguous :v:
Ambit - another word for boundaries - Limitations on the game's activities? More rules?
Ambient - Surrounding - Describes their imprisonment? Someting surrounding them? Ambient is often used as a descriptor of sound to imply the sounds we hear when everyone is being vocally silent. This could be significant as well. Something in the background we can't see unless we pay attention?
Ambivalence - an attraction and repulsion working together. "I don't care but I still need to pay attention to what's going on" A descriptor of Zero III's opinion of this game? We speak of Valence when it comes to electrons - the push and pull of chemical reactions? This might be significant for any underlying :science: going on here. (which given 999, is almost certainly the case still, in my opinion)

Dex(tr/o) is root that generally refers to the direction or orientation of the right.

Ambidextrous technically means able to use both of your arms as well as your right. (Left-handed author's note: :arghfist: drat you latin and your dextronormative words!)

The bracelets are on everyone's left hand (had to go back and check). The location of them could be significant, given the "ambidex" signifier. (I swear if this is significant I'll go all 999 Clover Axe end on this writer :black101:)

Significant words that involve "dex" that come to mind

Index - a directory containing correct information, something that both sorts and catalogues things. - Could refer to the bracelets themselves as somehow repositories of data.

Dexterity - generally refers to agility and skill. Could be a requirement of the puzzles or the game more generally - application of specific skills, or really complex motor functions from the players.

Dextro - a descriptor of a compound in chemistry. If there's science to be found this could be significant.

----

So with all that said let's tie it together. Ambidex could be a mashup of many of these words and intentionally invoking and evoking their implications into the design, motivations, and consequences of this Nonary Game. It could be a short version of "Ambulatory Index" or "Ambidextrous Index" or even more simply just "Ambidextrous Edition.

We can't draw any conclusions whatsoever, so this probably makes none of this a spoiler (and I have no clue at all what is to come, can't stress this enough) nothing definitive but potential exists for this nonary game have significance regarding these potential interpretations of Ambidex.

:tinfoil: theories:

The bracelets are versatile, changeable, useful for many different things. I'm choosing to interpret the Dex to mean index and the index to be the bracelet - although I'm sure there are alternative interpretations as well for the significance of the "dex" root.

Unresolved Questions: May be possible to switch them between players or switch the values each player currently has or might have? Can the pair/solo value be changed? Will they change automatically as part of the mechanics of the game? Does someone have control over the information displayed on them?

"Ambulatory Index Game" would imply to me a movement of players and data from place to place, which seems so self-evident given our prior exposure to this in 999, but it could refer to the bracelets and what is on them to move about in some fashion.

"Ambidexterous Index Game" is a bit similar in meaning to the Ambulatory interpretation, but implies more of a mechanical or manual slant to the system of the bracelets. Maybe something to the thought of "you can do this game with both hands".

"Ambidexterous Game" could mean anything but require equal skill and flexibility from each side.

"Ambiguous Index Game" implies mystery as to how the bracelets work.

What does side mean in this context? Between players? Between factions?(999 callbacks: innocents vs guilty? players vs zero? Zero Team vs non Zero team?)

Additional Bonus Color :spergin::tinfoil: : I feel like the color combinations with 9 being a requisite value is surely a solution to at least the colored doors in front of us. Perhaps ambidex refers to the partners being changeable, or the groupings of 3 being changeable to make the colors and numbers align.(Calls back to the theory someone else had about the two partners being stuck with each other and a solo being a wildcard to make the color blend (you can make most any color with Red Blue and Green, which are the three potential colors of the bracelet's displayed data.

The color of the doors are possibly but at least look like Cyan Magenta and Yellow, which is the basis for a second color system for displays (with its missing but inherent blacK "CMYk". Why is black missing? or is it not actually missing? Black can be a combination of all colors together at their maximum values 255.255.255 is black in an 8-bit RGB binary color system.(255 = FF = max possible value for 8 bit hexadecimal binary coding) Yet there are 256 values- Zero is also a value :tinfoil:)

On a white canvas, zero values for each color give you white. On a Black canvas(Darkness), max values(colors) give you white. In painting, zero is white - a combination of colors gets you closer and closer to black. In light, zero is black - a combination of all colors on the visual spectrum gives you white light (we know this because a prism can split light into every color.)

Yeah thats a ridiculous amount of speculation about :words:

bean mom fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 26, 2013

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Paracelsus posted:

Was that a "Who the gently caress is Alice?" joke at the beginning of the update?

I... I was weak.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Shear Modulus posted:

I'm listening to the Japanese voicing for the first time, and I can't help but notice that pretty much all of the English writing and proper nouns ("Ambidex Room," "Pair," "Solo," "Nonary Game: Ambidex Edition," "Two Milkmen Go Comedy!") is still rendered and spoken by the characters in English. Speaking as someone who has no real familiarity with Japanese language media, is this common? Is the audience expected to know enough English to be able to follow along with what the phrases mean and the characters rearranging the letters?

Also, wow, Tenmyouji sounds totally different in the Japanese voices. Instead of a grumpy old dude he sounds like a doddering senior citizen.

Yeah, usually proper nouns and special terms in stories like these are in English and it's fine. You see it a lot in stuff like anime or tokusatsu. Most Japanese people know more English than you think.

Spyros
Apr 28, 2013

Zeeco posted:

Which 999 character do you think robot friend is?

I don't think he necessarily has to be a 999 character, although I can imagine Snake sounding like that. It's also easy to draw parallels between him and Seven (large and amnesiac), adding to the "visual shorthand" mentioned in a previous post.

I suppose Zero can't be the girl that reminds me of Akane - this surprise can't work again. Maybe it's the little boy and his weird hat allows him to control Zero III via some amazing brainwave technology that everyone but Sigma will have heard about.

A big thank you from me to Fedule as well. This is shaping up to be great.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Spyros posted:

I don't think he necessarily has to be a 999 character, although I can imagine Snake sounding like that. It's also easy to draw parallels between him and Seven (large and amnesiac), adding to the "visual shorthand" mentioned in a previous post.

I suppose Zero can't be the girl that reminds me of Akane - this surprise can't work again. Maybe it's the little boy and his weird hat allows him to control Zero III via some amazing brainwave technology that everyone but Sigma will have heard about.

A big thank you from me to Fedule as well. This is shaping up to be great.

Robot Monk (he is definitely dressed in the clothing of a Buddhist Monk - the clothing is possibly significant, and the "blind monk" is a cliche for sure) could very well be Snake. After all he is paired - and look who he is paired with. Wouldn't that be really hilariously appropriate? We know that Snake had some cybernetics already, it wouldn't be surprising for that tech to be carried forward or expanded upon to a full exoskeleton.

And anyone that thinks Alice isn't the lady Junpei's crew found in the desert is almost certainly wrong given her immediate recognition of Clover. The egyptian motif in her clothing and her makeup - the solid turquoise coloring over the eyes is absolutely consistent with ancient egyptian style - the use of makeup, and specifically that color is common in depictions of how people would look in that time.

bean mom fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 26, 2013

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

So Clover is both Haruhi and Nanoha. That's quite a pedigree.

Robot dude being Snake as an immediate possible conclusion to draw given our current knowledge (paired with Clover, memory loss, robot suit that could grant him vision perhaps?) means that there's absolutely no way that can actually be the case. Unless that's what they want us to think and spring it on us when we aren't expecting it. Except maybe they're expecting us to think they're trying to pull a fast one and go a different direction altogeth-- :psyduck:

Spyros
Apr 28, 2013

Bruceski posted:

Clover's model bugs me, but not for the "caveman Barbie" reasons (though is that ball on her head SUPPOSED to look like a skull or am I just morbid). Every one of her stances is smiling and happy, when she's supposed to be in shock and terror.

Perhaps that smile, rather than showing happiness, is a sign that her sanity's slipping already. After all, she's the only one forced to play that deadly game for the third time, it's only been a year since her last ordeal, and she had no reason to believe this would happen again. I wouldn't be surprised if she goes off the deep end at some point.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Zyla posted:

And anyone that thinks Alice isn't the lady Junpei's crew found in the desert is almost certainly wrong given her immediate recognition of Clover. The egyptian motif in her clothing and her makeup - the solid turquoise coloring over the eyes is absolutely consistent with ancient egyptian style - the use of makeup, and specifically that color is common in depictions of how people would look in that time.

On the other hand, a real Egyptian from 2000 years ago shouldn't sound like they're from Nebraska. There isn't even a narrative note along the lines of "Sigma noticed that Alice had a strange accent, but couldn't place it". (Plus my personal opinion is that "Egyptians invented magic ice 2000 years ago and froze someone alive and they're okay" is really dumb.)

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

A couple things on the June/Luna speculation:

They have absolutely identical standing postures, down to the position of their arms. Their bodies look extremely similar. The only real difference is the styling and coloring of their hair.

June and Moon are common rhyming words, and Luna is the diminuative of Lunar, which refers to the Moon.

From 999's true end:

The ending of 999 in the flashback has it ending at sunset. What rises in the sky after the sunset, in the next phase(read: next game)?

The moon.

Luna?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

On the other hand, a real Egyptian from 2000 years ago shouldn't sound like they're from Nebraska. There isn't even a narrative note along the lines of "Sigma noticed that Alice had a strange accent, but couldn't place it". (Plus my personal opinion is that "Egyptians invented magic ice 2000 years ago and froze someone alive and they're okay" is really dumb.)

Keep in mind that this is a sequel to a game where the entire plot was based on a preteen girl saving her own life by using telepathy to talk to her best friend from the future, then setting up the events so said best friend would be in position for that to happen.

A character being instant-frozen to magic unmelting ice levels is frankly less insane than that.

• Locked thread