Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
To be fair we still know very little about the characters. In fact I don't think there's been any actual backstory to any of them aside from maybe Tenmyouji's voluntary participation and even he clammed up right after. In 999 the only characters that were interesting right away for me were Snake and Seven, the rest didn't really stand out.

The only characters I don't really care about in VLR so far are Quark and Clover, the former we've only seen as either "the kid" or going crazy over one thing or the other and not participating much. The latter I already saw a ton of in the previous game, although I'm sure there's more to her as well eventually. Luna's also been kind of bland but I figure that's on purpose, I'll be surprised if she remains like that the whole way. Sigma and Phi are also more interesting than Junpei and June were, it's nice to not have an obvious teenager as a protagonist for a change and I like their snarkiness.

I don't really care whether the characters are in 2D or 3D, there weren't exactly a ton of different sprites in 999 either. That said Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies showed what amazing and expressive animations you can come up with when you're not confined to 2D, so they could've done a bit more with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Kanfy posted:

Sigma and Phi are also more interesting than Junpei and June were, it's nice to not have an obvious teenager as a protagonist for a change and I like their snarkiness.

Weren't both June and Junpei in their early twenties?

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012

Nidoking posted:

Hence the alternative, rejected subtitle for the game - Six Sigmas.

So..with a name like Six Sigmas, its really a high-pressure interview process for business execs! Featuring the Nonary Game - Supply Chain Management Edition!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Clarste posted:

The point about it being from Snake's POV is that he's blind. So... no graphics.

Yeah, but he has blindness superpowers that let him survive being shot repeatedly in the chest.

He can probably tell how people look based on their voices or something.

That being said, it would certainly be interesting to have a game from the P.O.V. of a blind protagonist. I wonder how it'd mess with our expectations of the characters and setting.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

That being said, it would certainly be interesting to have a game from the P.O.V. of a blind protagonist. I wonder how it'd mess with our expectations of the characters and setting.

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

Weren't both June and Junpei in their early twenties?

The specific ages are pretty irrelevant, I mostly meant that their mannerisms were pretty usual "young JRPG protagonist couple" fare.

Obviously it was FAKE ALL ALONG but that doesn't really matter when you don't know that for 99% of the game.

E:

Although I admit Junpei's terrible puns never ceased to amuse me even though everyone else seemed to hate him for them. :v:

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 12, 2013

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I imagine it'd be like that platformer where you couldn't see anything you weren't touching...forget its name...

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Zoe posted:

Who has the syringe gun dealy Luna was killed with before, and could that presumably be used to get the bracelet off Sigma? Though he passed up so many perfectly good opportunities to get the vial off of Dio, or at least let the others know that it's hard to believe he'll suddenly be capable of thinking that creatively.

I don't think injecting Sigma with even MORE tubocurarine would help the situation.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

Speedball posted:

I imagine it'd be like that platformer where you couldn't see anything you weren't touching...forget its name...

There's also a first-person game called BlindSide where you play as a blind person and have to navigate using sound. I didn't enjoy it and found it quite difficult, but it would be interesting to see an LP of it from someone who was really good.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

unfair posted:

it would be interesting to see an LP of it from someone who was really good.
I'd prefer an audio LP, but whatever floats your boat.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

We're jumping back to the beginning yet again! It looks like we're taking quite a broad approach...

VLR OST: [Strain]

This time, we'll be teaming up with Alice. What wonderful new perspective on matters will we gain?

Is that okay with you guys?

Listen in: [English/Japanese]

Yeah.

Sure.

I don't have a problem with that. Ms. Luna's nice.

That's fine with me too.
We'll take the yellow door then, right?

Aw... I wanted to go with Alice...

Something wrong with me?

Well, no, not wrong...

What is it then?

Well... You're really gonna make me say it?
You're... old.

Wh-What?! Why you--!
I'll have you know I'm as spry as I was when I was twenty!

Nine... Eight... Seven...

You're getting an earful later, young lady.

Yeah, yeah, whatever.

Three... Two... One...

[Music fades out]

Chromatic Doors closing...

VLR OST: [Sinisterness]

Listen in: [English/Japanese]

The door said "Crew Quarters."
People probably stayed here.

There are numbers on each of the doors...

Hm...
I guess we might as well start by opening one of them.

This place really says "someone lives here".

Yeah, there's a bed and everything.

Yup.

But... who would be spending the night in a place like this?

It looks too plain to be a guest room.
This room probably belonged to a laborer, or some kind of blue-collar worker.

Guess this is where the people who worked here stayed.

But what were they working on?

Beats me. Why would I know that anyway?

I don't know what this place is any more than you do.
Your guess is as good as mine.

Do you think it might be a coal mine?

Hm...

Or maybe they're drilling for oil or something...

I donno about that.

You want to go have a look?

Yeah.

No getting out of the hallway until we can unlock it then, I guess.

Looks that way...

Zero told us that there are key cards we can use to open the AB Rooms.
Maybe there's one in here somewhere.
So... let's get started!

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I had a lot of trouble with this particular room, but I was stubborn and refused to play anything but hard. I'll be curious to see if and how the other characters berate you, since I did actually feel like I deserved it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Fedule posted:

Aw... I wanted to go with Alice...

Something wrong with me?

Well, no, not wrong...

What is it then?

Well... You're really gonna make me say it?
You're... old.

Wh-What?! Why you--!
I'll have you know I'm as spry as I was when I was twenty!

Poor Tenmyouji. To think that agism is so casual in the future. :allears:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Gonna be a whole lot of jumping around from one path to the other after this one gets to the end I suppose. Might get tricky to keep up.

Also, a multi-room setup as the potential second puzzle room? Might not be the best introduction if you start with this path.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Fedule posted:

It looks too plain to be a guest room.
This room probably belonged to a laborer, or some kind of blue-collar worker.

Guess this is where the people who worked here stayed.

Yes, Phi, that's what "Crew Quarters" means. Congratulations. You have solved the mystery of the warehouse complex (or wherever we are). :geno:

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Kanfy posted:

Gonna be a whole lot of jumping around from one path to the other after this one gets to the end I suppose. Might get tricky to keep up.

Also, a multi-room setup as the potential second puzzle room? Might not be the best introduction if you start with this path.

As someone who went this route first, it wasn't too bad. But considering I'd just come off 999, I guess my mind was already in the Zero Escape mode.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I like the whole "you're... old" part with Alice and Tenmyouji

Pierzak posted:

I'd prefer an audio LP, but whatever floats your boat.

I'm thinking screenshot LP myself :D

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CottonWolf posted:

As someone who went this route first, it wasn't too bad. But considering I'd just come off 999, I guess my mind was already in the Zero Escape mode.

Yeah, same - you'll see over the next update or two, but the swapping-rooms part of it never ended up feeling that cumbersome.

syncyes
Sep 18, 2013
This was my first route and it utterly destroyed me because I got the secret file password first and since I hadn't done so in the tutorial room, I had not yet realized there were two keys and just wandered around for a while wondering how to get out :bang:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

syncyes posted:

This was my first route and it utterly destroyed me because I got the secret file password first and since I hadn't done so in the tutorial room, I had not yet realized there were two keys and just wandered around for a while wondering how to get out :bang:

Other way around for me, I went with Alice the first time and got the normal key first, just like in the elevator. Elevator taught you "OK, grab the key, you can exit when you're totally done looking around by actually using it". Crew Quarters took that and smacked you upside the head "You touched the key? What, you're not done yet? Too bad, I'm taking control from you for now, game coming through, choo choo!". Needed to go back and redo the entirety of CQ to get that file - not really difficult since I'd just solved everything and knew the answers, but needlessly tedious (and in hindsight, I think the only room to actually do that)

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Count me as yet another one taking this route first.

Also because I needed a distraction

Still no plans to draw everyone but who knows what'll happen. Honestly though, Quark could look funny.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I'm surprised, she actually looks okay in that art style.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I really, really like your artstyle, tiistai. :3: The Wind Waker look is great.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Yeah, count me in as another person who took this route first. I was mostly interested in seeing if I could get any information out of Alice because I was fresh off of the stinger from 999 and wanted to know what was up with crazy frozen Egyptian mummy lady.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Just a piece of utterly mindless trivia: the demo for this game is split into two segments, a story demo and a puzzle demo. While I can't recall if it's the entire escape or just part of it, the puzzle demo is this escape sequence.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Actually, just a thought that occurred to me: if/when we actually find the password/whatever it is to help us get through the lock, will we automatically choose to go back and finish that route, or will it simply be added to the voting options when we hit a To Be Continued/Game Over?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

I also have a question, this one regarding the spoiler-filled secret files: whenever you decide to reveal them, will you be telling us which room they came from so we know how stupidly far in the past they spoil poo poo?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Actually, just a thought that occurred to me: if/when we actually find the password/whatever it is to help us get through the lock, will we automatically choose to go back and finish that route, or will it simply be added to the voting options when we hit a To Be Continued/Game Over?

In such cases where the fact that we've found the key to a given lock is extremely obvious I'll just add an option to the poll. For less obvious ones... well, I'm sure someone will notice them when the time comes. Still kinda making this up as I go along here.

Color Printer posted:

I also have a question, this one regarding the spoiler-filled secret files: whenever you decide to reveal them, will you be telling us which room they came from so we know how stupidly far in the past they spoil poo poo?

Most of them are mundane stuff, though still stuff from the plot scenes immediately after each escape. A few, however, I'm holding on to to look back on later. In particular, one from the Lab gives up something we're not going to see for several more routes (although of course that's subjective depending on what order you play in, but still, it's a spoiler).

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, Alice seems helpful, if not talkative. She and Clover both seemed pretty reluctant to talk at the start, but maybe we'll catch something.

Have we seen anything other people have brought out of here in the past, or is it just the place people went to die?

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

tiistai posted:

Still no plans to draw everyone but who knows what'll happen. Honestly though, Quark could look funny.

Just to get that out of my system:

Eh, not as funny as I'd hoped.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

tiistai posted:

This is perfect. You are wonderful. :allears:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

tiistai posted:

This is pretty excellent.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

tiistai posted:

Link, the [Snack Hat] will store all kinds of useful items! Press [start] to open your [Snack Hat]!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Time to take on the Crew Quarters. Sigma (3BP, Red Pair) and Phi (3BP, Red Pair) have teamed up with Alice (3BP, Red Solo) for this one.

VLR OST: [Cabin]

A little more energetic than our usual escape-fare. Honestly I'm not sure how I feel about this track but it'll do.

This area seems a little irritating at first glance but it's really not that bad. We've got a central corridor with two rooms at the front...

...and two in the back.

That said, room 3 appears to be, uh, handcuffed shut so I guess that's one option ruled out.

From the top, then.

These rooms are all very simple, being small cubic affairs with exactly four points of interest.

First, there's this.

There's a human silhouette drawn in white on the bed.
The area where the left knee would be has been ripped out. I wonder if that means anything...

Then we've got a desk.

Lemme see here... It's called... How the hell do I pronounce that?
"Schrödinger's Cat"?

Whoops, there it goes...
Still can't help talking like a cat when I talk about a cat.

Looks like all sorts of science-y stuff. I have no idea what any of this means.
I don't think this is part of any kind of puzzle so I'm just gonna... leave it here...

Er... leave it where?

Anywhere, there's some significant looking marks on the wall here...

A triangle, a... leaf... thing, and another triangle...
What's that thing on the right? It looks like the silhouette of a fox...

We can also examine the desk itself.

What's the deal with this drawer, though?

We can even open the drawer!

Since the top of the desk is made of glass, I can see the pattern on the aluminum.

Next thing of interest:

The locker.

Surprise.

I think this panel here is what unlocks it, but nothing happens when I push the buttons.
Is that a keyhole on the top there...?
Hm... I probably need a key or something.

Finally, there's a phone, and under it, the safe. Oh, and there's that book.

So... a phone, huh?

Is it connected...?

Nuts. Let's play with it anyway.

These look interesting.

These appear to be internal line buttons...
"1" probably means "room 1"... That's the room I'm in right now, so it would probably call here.
...Actually, that probably just wouldn't do anything.
I mean, it's not like you can call yourself with only one phone...
But there's no harm in trying, right?

Nope, nothing.
Pressing the "1" button is probably pretty pointless.

Well then. Let's try...

Oh, hey, Alice. So you are there.

Sigma? Is that you?

Yeah.

Where are you calling from?

Room 1.

That's right next door.
Why did you call me? You could just walk--

Wait a minute...

What's wrong?

There's something on the display...
It says 'twenty-five asterisk asterisk'.

"25**"...

Do you think it's a clue?

Hm...

Well, I'm going to look around this room a little more.
I'll see you later.

Interesting... OK, let's try 3.

Might as well try pressing it.

...What?
That's weird.
Why can't I call room 3?

Because the number isn't programmed, you dummy.

Just me.

Better than "justice", I suppose.

Really? You can do better than that.

I'm hanging up.

Come on, wait!

What do you want? And where are you calling from?

Room 1.

Ah. I guess they have some kind of internal line?

Seems like it.

So what is it you--

Huh? What's this...
"Agricola, Agricola, 9, 2."

I didn't know you were into German-style boardgame farming simulations.

Whoops. I meant, "Asterisk, asterisk, 9, 2".

How on Earth could you get those two mixed up...?

That's what it says on the phone's display.

Hm... **92...

Maybe it's a clue.

Hm...

Anyway, I'm going to get back to searching this room.
Call me if you find anything else.

WELL GEE I WONDER WHAT TO DO NOW.

No tape has been inserted. The answering machine will not function.

What does that mean?

Well, I think we're about done here.

Except...

It looks like there's a piece of metal in there...
Is this some kind of pin?
It was obviously put here, so I'm guessing it's important somehow.
Well, whatever it is I can't get it out right now.
I need to get that lid open.

Oh, and one other thing...

The surface is kind of matte, and it isn't very reflective, but the light is good so it's easy to see what's on it. Or it would be, if there was anything on it.

As you can see, it appropriately reflects whatever's showing on the phone panel at the time.

Alright, let's go bug everyone.

Ah well, I don't think she'll mind if I go in.

Just thought I'd come check up on you.

Oh. Well, I haven't found anything interesting...

The rooms are largely identical.

Examining the phone just makes Alice remind us about the number, so let's move on...

What do you mean, another one?

I saw one of these silhouttes earlier.
It had a torn part too, although it was a different part.

The area around the left forearm has been torn... Do you think that's a clue of some sort?

Hrm...

But a hint about what?

I don't know.
Maybe... a doll?

A doll?

Have you found any dolls?

No, nothing like that.

What about a picture, then?
Well, if you find something that's shaped like a human, maybe try examining the left forearm.
There might be something there.

Hello...

There's something on top of the desk.
It's... a little piece of metal.

And more graffiti.

What do you mean, "too"? Did you see something like this in the other rooms?

Yeah. Just like this. Symbols on the wall, desk, everything.

Really... What could they mean?

True, but it's probably handy for examining things.

How do you figure that?

Well, look at the table. The top's made of glass, right?
If you put something in the drawer and closed it, you could see it through the glass.

Kaaay. And finally...

...Another locker.

Well, keep wondering. It's locked.

See? I told you so.

There's a panel over here where you can put in a passcode.
If I can just get it to work...

Yeah... Let's not.

Ideas for what?

How to use this thing.

Well...
Of course I do.

Hmph. You really think you're going to open it by just pressing random buttons?

Well, I thought maybe I'd just get lucky...

It doesn't work like that!
There's no way you're going to get this thing open unless you know what to enter.

And we're done here. Now let's go bug Phi.

Find anything?

Not really...

Oh...

Let's go through the motions...

Again?

This silhouette.

Oh, did you see one in another room?

Yeah, I saw another one just like this.

It had a hole torn around the ankle too?

No, it had a hole, but it was somewhere else.

Hm...

...?

So if we search around the right ankle, maybe we'll find something.

Okay, take off your boots.

Not my ankle!

Then whose?

Hers!

Her?

Her? Well, whatever, moving on...

Yeah, it's a... piece of metal.
Kind of cylindrical...

It's too slippery right now, though. I don't think we can use it.

True...
The inside's hollow, though. Maybe you can put something into it?

Well, let's not insult eachother's intelligence any more than we have to.

I don't think there's anything in here you can use it on, though.

Maybe somewhere else?

Like where?

Well... like room 3, maybe.

That's some remarkably specific insight there, Phi.

What? Have you seen this before?

Yeah. Well, no, not this. But I've seen some similar patterns in the other rooms.
They're all right next to a desk, too, just like this one.

Have you figured it out yet?

No, not yet...

Oh...

We can always count on Phi to barely conceal her perpetual disappointment in us.

And finally...

...Another locker, bereft of interesting dialogue or any clues as to its code.

Alright, let's get out of h...

...ere...

Uh... what?

You scratch off the silver part with a coin so you can see the naughty stuff.
It's the ultimate in interactive poster technology!
What teenage boy doesn't dream of something like this?
The excitement! The anticipation! And finally... the reveal!

You look pretty excited...

Soooo... I guess we're supposed to "interact" with this thing?

...Damnit. It's too slippery.
I think I'm going to need a coin to deal with that silver menace.

Denied.

Well, that's the last thing of interest in here. Across all three rooms, we've only gotten one good lead... the key to room 3. So!

Shouldn't have any more door problems now.

Shockingly, room 3 is entirely identical to every other room in here.

Bed, check.

It's ripped too, but in a different place this time.

Desk with object and graffiti, check.

Kay.

Locker, check.

Hey, wait a second...

I guess it wasn't locked.

People have honestly gotten stuck here, because the thought of a locker in a game like this not being locked just didn't occur. And by people I mean me, once.

And as it happens, opening this locker is essential to getting anything else accomplished.

It's all shiny...
Is this... aluminum foil?
There's so much of it though. Must be some kind of industrial size roll.
This is way more than you'd use in any normal kitchen. I wonder how much there is?
Maybe if I roll it out...
...Huh? There's something printed on it.
Looks like... shapes and lines.
Is this some kind of clue?
I can't carry this around with me, though.
Maybe I can cut out the important parts somehow...

Let's ignore the fact that we clearly can carry that thing around, and just move on to the obvious next step.

The game makes you do this combination four seperate times.

Eventually, we're left with four sheets of foil with different patterns, about which Sigma's only observation is that they're shiny.

Hrm...

Here's the phone. Sure enough, the tape slot is open and empty.

Now... surely you've all figured out where this is going?

What a curiously specific puzzle.

Anyway, obviously only one of those sheets is the correct one, and, spoiler, it's the one with six collections of lines on it as supposed to four.

Well, that clears everything up, doesn't it?

Alright, let's go sort the rest of these out. Room 1's locker has a second lock on it, so let's go bug Alice again.

Yeah. That's what it looks like.

A password for what, though?

Oh come on! There's only one thing in here that needs a four-digit password!

Alright, alright, keep your shirt on, lady.

Now, let's... uh.

You don't know which number each button stands for?

Well, it's really easy. All you have to do is add the number to the left of that button with the number above the button.
That means the three numbers in the first row would be...
2 + 6 = 8, 2 + 3 = 5, 2 + 0 = 2.
Now just calculate that for the other two rows.

You see?

Noted.

Wow. Good job. That was pretty impressive.

If there is, I'd sure like to know what.

Me too. Maybe there's a cassette deck or something around here.

HRM.

Alright, time to annoy Phi again.

Yeah...

Is this some kind of password?
If it is...

Phi also has her own variant on the telling you how to input the password thing but it's not interestingly different so whatever.

Heh... Yeah, I'm pretty great.

Looks like there's something in there...

You probably shouldn't get your hopes up.

Why not?

Just a feeling...

Yeah, fine, whatever. I'm not gonna let you bring me down.
Let's see what's in here...

What is it?

There's only one coin in here.
And it's not even real money! Just a toy coin.

See? Didn't I tell you?

drat...

Maybe we could use it to scratch off the silver part.

Seems like a plan.

Yeeeaaaaaaaaaaaah!

drat you're excited...

Hey, don't misunderstand me. I'm just... really anxious to... find a clue in there. Aren't you?

You want to let me do it, then?

I-I'm sorry... Please, just let me have this.

Then get on with it.

Aaaand of course it's a minigame.

Don't judge me.

Okay... so... that's nice, I guess?

Your scratching progress does not appear to be maintained between attempts. Technically this is true of every single minigame in this game but on this one it's particularly jarring.

The big silver area isn't the only part you can scratch off...
I think her accessories are scratchable too.

Why don't you just take off all the parts you think can come off?

This is, of course, supposed to be hinted at by all those beds with the torn off fabric we've been seeing. So... accessories, huh?

Oh, now we're talking.

*Pant* *Pant* *Pant*

drat! I look away for a second and you've scratched it all off!

Yeah...
I noticed some things that might be clues, so I kept going.

You mean these marks on her arms and legs?
There are four of them... A star, a circle, a diamond and a triangle.

*scratchscratchscratchscratchscratch*

Hey! What're you doing?!
You've already scratched it all off!

No, I'm not done yet!
This blue part still needs to go...!

Sigma...
I don't think that part's going to come off, no matter how hard you scrape.

The star has a 6... the circle has a 1...
The diamond has an 8 and the triangle has a 9...

Do you know what this is?
Star, circle, diamond, triangle... Have you seen these anywhere before?

Most curious. Anyway, it looks like we've got ourselves a new lead.

Let's just put this tape in...

And...

Er...

drat, I forgot the number.

Sigma. What do you want?

How did you know it was me?

Who else is going to call me?!

Hmm...

Why did you call me?

Oh... I... uh... I... just wanted to hear your voice.

Wh-what...? Sigma...
I-I had no idea! Oh gosh...

(poo poo. Guess that was a little too convincing.)
(She's more innocent than she lets on...)

Look, if there's nothing else, I'm hanging up!

Well, there is something...

What?

Remember that number you saw earlier?
Is it still there?

Yes..

Has it changed?

No, it still says the same thing. "25**".
I think it shows that when I get a call from room 1.

Hm...

I wonder what it means?
I think those asterisks mean it's hiding the latter half of the number.

If that's the case then it's probably a four digit number.

Well, let's look for more clues. I'll talk to you later.

Welcome to Good Burger, home of the Good Burger.

Oops, sorry, wrong number.

Wait! Don't hang up!

What?

Um... I forgot.

Hey, wait! You were the one who called me!

Oh, right.

So what do you want?

Remember that number you saw earlier?

"**92"?

Yeah.

It disappeared about when you hung up, but when you called it showed up again.
I'm guessing it only shows up when someone calls.

Hm...

I wonder what it means...
You see asterisks a lot for, like, passwords and stuff...

So maybe they're hiding something?

Maybe.

So if we knew the first two numbers...

Yeah. We could get a full number. That might get us somewhere.

All right, time for me to get back to searching.
Good luck.

I'll tell you what the numbers mean; they mean the Caller ID system in this place is dumb.

Th-That voice!

Looks like you found the answer.

The number you just entered is the number for the phone in the third room.

The buttons hare on the top of the phone are just shortcuts.
That means all the other phones have actual numbers too!

...Though I guess that's not really important...

Anyway, you're calling room 3 right now.

Room 3... Then that means...

Since you're so clever, I'm sure you've figured it out by now...

But yes, you're right! I'm speaking to you from a pre-recorded tape!
So you can grass me all the questions you like, but I won't be able to answer them.

I'm afraid this little talk is going to be a bit one-sided.

Urgh...

Then again, it's going to be a very little talk, because I only have one thing to tell you.
Have a look at the left screen above the phone. The answer you're looking for is hidden there.

What answer, you ask? Well, I can't hop you with that one!
Byeeeee! Have a nice trace!

Left...

All right, there's another four-digit number.
What am I supposed to do with this?
I guess I need to enter it somewhere...

Crap, I forgot to write that down. Let's try again.

Well you're not going to get any more out of me.
Above and to the left is all I'm going to tell you.

Have a nice trumpet!

Kay.

There's some kind of... pin in there.

But I have a notion.

I think a pin or something might fit in here...
...Huh? What was that noise?
Maybe I can type stuff in now...

We can! Although we're still not sure what.

This might help, though.

Yes! That's it!
Those are the same four shapes that were hidden on the pin-up poster!
I think each shape had a number written on it...

Indeed! By super-recollection, circle star diamond triangle translates to... 1698!

...Huh? That's odd... Are we misremembering the numbers? Let's just doublecheck that...

I'm not sure about the numbers on the star and the triangle...
Don't the shapes look like they're upside down?
That would mean the numbers are upside down too...

God damnit.

So, 1968 then. Fine.

And look what we found!

This is just like the code we saw in the Ambidex Room.
I mean, it's a different code, of course, but it looks really similar.

So... What do you guys think the optional puzzle is?

Know what would've been really cool? If it had been a natural extension of what we'd already done, a combination of all the hints we've seen. Something like, oh, say, taking all the numbers from the pin-up girl, noting which limb they were on, and sorting them according to the room numbers whose beds have the same limb indicated. Which is what a few people did the first time through this room. And by people, I once again mean me.

But instead, what you have to do is...

Pick up the phone...

...And just dial the same number.

The second passcode can be found on the left portion of the display above the phone.

Left...?

Sigh.

What the hell?!
It's not a phone number?

No, it's just a dumb puzzle.

Okay, so before we go punch that in, here's an actual cool thing. You can dial a bunch of extra numbers on this phone.

Let's continue Sigma's juvenile streak...

LOL

What in the name of...

Someone called O'Leigh is saying "Gosh he is illegible!"

Not done yet.

Uh, that's a little too rich for my blood, thanks...

...grinding were becoming common.
Often they took the form of galettes, with honey concealed inside a wrapping created from ground oats, wheat, rye, or--

Do you ever stop?!

Hey, I got your number on the wall-- Huh? She hung up...

This one doesn't do anything. Angela must have gotten disconnected.

Finally...

Warning: Mental tests carry a small risk of death.

Well, that was fun.

The shapes are different, and so is the placement...

Now, normally I'd show us doing the Escape password first, and then get the File. However, for this room, and this room only, you are fast-tracked to the exit as soon as you input the Escape password - which is really dumb - so we're gonna do the File password first.

Man, what good is a victory dance when there's no one there to see it...?
I'm lonely...

Get.

Aaaand...

I wonder what's inside this time...
Wait a minute.
If I look through the stuff in here without telling Phi and Alice, they might be suspicious later.
"You took something when we weren't looking!"
Yeah, those are two bad sides I really don't want to be on.
I think I'll just go get them before I go through it.

Did you open this, Sigma?

Yeah, who else could have?

Why didn't you tell us sooner?!

What?!

Forget about it, Alice.
Let's just see what's in there.

What's this thing?

It says "FLOOR A".

We can look at it more later.
There's more stuff in the safe. Why don't we get all of it before we start going through it?

Good idea.

Whoops... make that two cards.

See? It says "AMBIDEX ROOM" right there!

Then we can use these to open the AB Rooms...
But... How are we supposed to get back there?
The door to the warehouse is still locked.

Check out this note.

You've seen this all before.

I see...
So once we can get out of the crew quarters, we can head back to the warehouse.
Right?

Yeah, seems like it.

So this key will open the door at the end of the hallway?

Lovely.

Wait!

What about this book on the top of the safe?

"Meow"?

Sorry... It's this sort of... I guess you could call it a tic.
I've had it since I was young. I wish I was just kitten, but I can't control it.
It's not dangerous, though. You're purrrrfectly fine.

Not... dangerous...?

Um...

Anyway, the book's called "Shrodingers Cat"--

Don't you mean Schrödinger's Cat?

Oh, you've heard of it?

I think it'd be harder to find someone who hasn't heard of it.

Fur real? Do you know what it is too, Alice?

Of course I do. I was just wondering why this book was here.

It's a quantum physics thought experiment.
The book probably discusses the principles the experiment talks about in more depth.

See, Erwin Rudolf Josef Alexander Schrödinger was a scholar of theoretical physics in Austria.
He was born in 1887 and--

Yes.

Thought so. How about we talk about it later, then?
I mean, we just found the key that'll get us out of here...

You... do have a point there.

Yes he does. We should leave. Now.

All right! Let's go!

And like that, we are booted out to the hall. If we try to go back, or even to enter another room...

Let's get out of here!

Yeah.

Okay.

I'm ready. Go for it.

Three... Two... One!

Awesome.

Who wants hidden files?

EU:

Keeping things classy.

Grandpa Videos:

Sigma's Cat Problem, part 1:

Sigma's Cat Problem, part 2:

Fedule fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 1, 2014

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
I will crack skulls if ya'll start making cat puns.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

Slowbeef posted:

I will crack skulls if ya'll start making cat puns.

God drat I had just finished my post when I saw this. Well PLAYED.

It WOULD be hilarious if the talking to cats thing became a plot point though.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

quote:

Welcome to Good Burger, home of the Good Burger.

Oops, sorry, wrong number.

I found this more amusing than I probably should've.

And it really is a shame that we didn't see Sigma's victory dance. :(

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
I never new about these extra phone conversations.

Fedule posted:

Hey, I got your number on the wall-- Huh? She hung up...

The fact that I got this reference makes me feel really old for some reason.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
That Agricola reference was wholly unexpected!
The little jokes in the phone were neat too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

I got stuck in this room because I didn't realize you could cut the foil multiple times. Then I noticed it was still hanging around the inventory. Also, I don't remember the double mirror.

• Locked thread