Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Speedball posted:

Surprised the ally/betray vote counter didn't come up.

I vote to preemptively punch Dio in the face until everyone comes back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Speedball posted:

Surprised the ally/betray vote counter didn't come up.

They still have about 20 minutes to talk about it, and Sigma only seems to decide his vote at the last second.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
So at some point in an alternate reality/the past/the future, Alice gets stabbed while outside on the grass, and Phi and Sigma get blown up while on the moon. Am I following that right?

....oookay. I know I've been waiting impatiently for this game to step up the weirdness to 999 levels, but drat. :f5:

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

DWK posted:

It almost feels like this is the path you're meant to take first with the explanation of the Prisoner's Dilemma and no dead lady.

Would they assume that if you'd played 999, you'd want to pair up with Alice or Clover? We can't go through a door with Clover as she's in a pair with K, so would the majority of people choose Alice as a character they recognise and are curious about?

Or they assume most gamers are horny nerds who want to virtual-hang with the virtual-hot girls.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Zoe posted:

So at some point in an alternate reality/the past/the future, Alice gets stabbed while outside on the grass, and Phi and Sigma get blown up while on the moon. Am I following that right?

The grass could be in some kind of indoor arboretum (I think there are still rooms we haven't seen?), and unless the moon has a moon or the Earth is completely dry and defoliated, that explosion doesn't take place on our moon. But, other than that...

I've been looking at that unofficial flowchart from earlier in the thread, and considering the first two murders in light of who was with us when they happened. It seems that the old woman only dies (or at least, only has her body dumped in Luna's elevator which is subsequently moved to the other end) if we don't go with Alice in the first round. This would point to Alice as the killer, and so it would seem to follow that Tenmyouji killed Alice out of revenge. However, in the timeline where we took the red door with Dio and Clover, Alice was forced to team with Tenmyouji after he'd seen the corpse, and she wasn't killed. This casts suspicion on Dio and Clover, who were with us during the time Alice would have died.

For Alice's death, then, Dio is the most obvious suspect, but only because he is Dio. In the timeline where Alice died, Dio didn't really have anything to do with Alice: he was with Tenmyouji and Quark in the first round, Phi and K in the second. Clover, however, was with Alice and K in the first round of that game, and then there's the preexisting working relationship between them. So while Dio is the most suspicious (besides Quark :v:), I think Clover is worth considering at least until we see how this timeline pans out.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

RoeCocoa posted:

So while Dio is the most suspicious (besides Quark :v:), I think Clover is worth considering at least until we see how this timeline pans out.

Did you forget how she basically went all "I'll kill whoever killed Alice!" flipout?

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Kaja Rainbow posted:

Did you forget how she basically went all "I'll kill whoever killed Alice!" flipout?

Acting!

But really, I'm just spitballing ideas because it's fun. I think it's going to be a long time before everyone's motives become completely clear.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
Interesting fact: the only round in which Luna votes in the same box she started out in is the only round in which we don't see the dead body. Having previously established that it was in her box it originated from, it's worth watching her.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Poland Spring posted:

Interesting fact: the only round in which Luna votes in the same box she started out in is the only round in which we don't see the dead body. Having previously established that it was in her box it originated from, it's worth watching her.

We don't know which rooms any of the others are in. We just know Sigma/Phi are in the leftmost room (where K/Clover were.)

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

ApplesandOranges posted:

We don't know which rooms any of the others are in. We just know Sigma/Phi are in the leftmost room (where K/Clover were.)

Actually, we do. Everyone is in the same rooms as they started in on this route.

In other routes, Luna ends up being the solo for someone other than who she started next to.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I'm pretty sure anybody can use any AB room so I don't know where the hell you're getting these logical jumps from. :psyduck:

DWK
Sep 18, 2009

Poland Spring posted:

Actually, we do. Everyone is in the same rooms as they started in on this route.

But to vote in the AB game, they can go in any room and the game doesn't tell us who goes into what room.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

DWK posted:

But to vote in the AB game, they can go in any room and the game doesn't tell us who goes into what room.

Guess we'll have to see how the voting goes then

E: for less rear end in a top hat

Poland Spring fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Nov 17, 2013

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Case in point: Sigma and Phi are in the leftmost room right now.

Which was already mentioned

but still, who knows who's where

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

tiistai posted:

Case in point: Sigma and Phi are in the leftmost room right now.

Which was already mentioned

but still, who knows who's where

Edit: gently caress, you're right. Eh, maybe Luna's still in the same room, who knows.

Poland Spring fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 17, 2013

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Poland Spring posted:

Edit: gently caress, you're right. Eh, maybe Luna's still in the same room, who knows.

Well yeah, assuming you're right. If I had a dead corpse in one of those rooms I wanted to keep hidden, I'd go and take the same room as well.

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

spoilers

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Nov 17, 2013

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Are you... ahead in the script, or something? Or mixing this thread up with SGF's stream? Please remove that.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Dammit, and the thread was doing so well so far. That would have been something cool to not know in advance as well.

Bachus
May 31, 2011
This is why I am not commenting at all. I broke down a couple months back and found a stream/video LP of the game to get the plot. I don't want to even accidentally hint at anything.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

The best thing to do is just not mention whatever potential spoilers may have been revealed and just continue on with the thread. No hard feelings, no arguments about who did what, nobody talking about quality being affected, just continuing as if nothing was there at all.

Let's just forget that any other streams/sources exist in the first place - no comparison to others' progress or references to comments made in other places. We have our own thread, and our own crazy theories about everyone being robotic Zeroes from who knows where with optional missile-launching snackhats

Bachus
May 31, 2011
I like the way you think.

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

Wow I'm an rear end in a top hat. oops

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

VLR OST: [Sinisterness]

Listen in: [English/Japanese]

What's wrong?

I saw...

Saw what?

The... the explosion...

Explosion?

I think there's a bomb somewhere in this building.
I'm not sure, but it sounded like it was on a timer.
You and I were trying to stop it, but we couldn't do anything, and...
And... and...

What are you talking about?

Guuuhh... Aagh...

My head...

It hurts?

Yeah...

You know, you said it hurt when you first woke up in the AB Room too.

It didn't just hurt... It felt like it was going to explode...

Are you all right?

I think so.

Maybe you should rest a little.

Yeah... Maybe I could just... lay my head on your lap...

*Sigh* Of course.
I shouldn't have worried.

[Music fades out]

All players please enter your votes.
If no vote is recorded before the deadline has passed, any non-voting parties will automatically ally.

999 OST: [Trepidation]

What, do you need a translator?
If you don't vote fast enough, then it'll set your vote to "ally".
Make sense? Or do I need to use smaller words?

So if you plan to pick "ally", then you don't really even need to go into the AB Room.

I guess not.
We're already in here, though.
So we might as well figure out what we're going to do.

"Ally" or "betray"?

Why are you even asking?
You made it pretty clear that we should choose "betray".

Well, I didn't say "should"... I just said we didn't really have a choice.

That's the same thing.

It's completely different. The former is an active opinion. The latter is just passive information.

Whatever. You still want to betray, right?

Yeah.

Then why did you ask me?

You said that we'd be screwed if our BP dropped to 1.
What did you mean by that?
Is something going to happen if our BP gets to 0 or something?

...What?

If our BP drops to 0, we die. The needles in our bracelets activate...

Are you sure?

Yeah.

Well how the hell do you know that?! Zero never said anything about it!

I swear, I don't, I just... I know, somehow.
There's just this feeling I've got, like that's what'll happen.

Oh come on! That again?
You fed me the same line when I asked you why you knew my name!
How can you know all these things when there's no way on Earth--

What?

Did you have some sort of, I don't know, premonition?

You sounded like a crazy person the first time too.

Then... you haven't...

Seriously, Sigma, are you okay?
I think there's something wrong with you.

I groaned.

What are you going to pick? If you aren't going to do it, then I--

No, I'm fine. I'll do it.

You're gonna choose "betray", right?

Yeah. Don't worry about it.

Time to vote.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Wow, more premonitions? This is a pretty big change from the other two paths.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Voting Betray because come on guys, we gotta betray first for at least one of these.

Also I like staying on Phi's good side.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Considering that the one time we voted betray so far we got an immediate game over, I Ally's the most sensible option here.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Of course we're going to pick Ally. I was tempted by betray, it makes logical sense, but gently caress logic. Everyone acting in a logical, selfish way in this would be suicide. Let's vote with our hearts now. :unsmith:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I'm pretty sure Alice has picked Ally each time in the first round, but since the situation is different now there's no real way to tell. I figure it could go either way, there's not much of a connection with Alice at this point and she hasn't shown any signs of being particularly friendly or particularly selfish.

Also it'd be pretty great if in a game where the protagonist has some kind of crazy visions or premonitions, it'd turn out he actually was just nuts all along and none of it really meant anything.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
In the meta sense, Ally still makes more sense when we look at the other routes. We know Ten's going to backstab anyone but Quark, and K and Clover have betrayed both times, leaving them all stuck at 3. Luna's gonna get screwed over by Dio, but if we ally with Alice, that at least leaves us with only one person at 1BP and a lot less risk of murder.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
I'm curious as to what dialogue in this path is unique AFTER you've done other paths, but I know that posting that would be a spoiler, so I hope someone like Nidoking remembers this post to bring up a month or so from now when we're past it.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

If posting different dialog would be a spoiler, then doesn't that mean posting that different dialog might exist in the first place is a spoiler? I thought he said to knock off that entire line of conversation

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

legoman727 posted:

In the meta sense, Ally still makes more sense when we look at the other routes. We know Ten's going to backstab anyone but Quark, and K and Clover have betrayed both times, leaving them all stuck at 3. Luna's gonna get screwed over by Dio, but if we ally with Alice, that at least leaves us with only one person at 1BP and a lot less risk of murder.

I think one important thing you're forgetting about this route is that we currently have no stakes. In both of the other routes the seed of mistrust was already placed by finding the dead lady and then further expanded after the first round when it got revealed that getting 0 points means death. In this route nothing has happened yet, it has yet to become a life and death situation.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.

Xoidanor posted:

I think one important thing you're forgetting about this route is that we currently have no stakes. In both of the other routes the seed of mistrust was already placed by finding the dead lady and then further expanded after the first round when it got revealed that getting 0 points means death. In this route nothing has happened yet, it has yet to become a life and death situation.

This. So far, the only 'enemy' is Zero and as such, the incentive is to work together and get out.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I was going to try to say to vote betray based on some kind of sarcastic PUA line due to this snippet from the room, but every time I even try to think of the grammatical context to fit in a word like "negging" I feel like I need a shower to scrub away the filth

Fedule posted:

Why did you call me?

Oh... I... uh... I... just wanted to hear your voice.

Wh-what...? Sigma...
I-I had no idea! Oh gosh...

(poo poo. Guess that was a little too convincing.)
(She's more innocent than she lets on...)

Look, if there's nothing else, I'm hanging up!

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
But we still have Dio to deal with. From what we've seen, he'll continue to pick betray, and cause problems amongst the group.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

GeneralYeti posted:

This. So far, the only 'enemy' is Zero and as such, the incentive is to work together and get out.

I don't know. They have every possible reason not to trust one another. They've been told that the person who kidnapped them all is one of them. They don't know why they're there. Almost none of them know each other. From Sigma's perspective Alice has a 1 in 8 chance of being his kidnapper. Betrayal is the only logical choice.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012
This update seems like a completely obvious "hint" that someone is/has/will use voting ally by default as a cover for doing something shady. Maybe one of the previous routes said the same and the dialogue just didn't slap me across the face as hard, I'm not sure.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

unfair posted:

This update seems like a completely obvious "hint" that someone is/has/will use voting ally by default as a cover for doing something shady. Maybe one of the previous routes said the same and the dialogue just didn't slap me across the face as hard, I'm not sure.

If you're talking about the computer announcement, it's come up in the other paths. I must be more cynical or aggressive, I'm thinking more along the lines of using it as a weapon rather than an alibi - use the handcuffs or knockout drugs or who knows what else to stop your solo (or pair, if you can nab both) from voting, and you can be guaranteed to get away with voting betray. That message tells me that anyone who ever gets a 6 or higher is pretty suspicious...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

At the same time, if there's somebody who always votes Ally, we can assume they might be out and about doing poo poo every vote. Zero would have no reason not to constantly Ally, because they're under no threat of losing.

• Locked thread