Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

K is actually a hyper-intelligent cat inside the suit. A dead one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

Bruceski posted:

So he's like the coat rat kid from Sideways Stories from Wayside School?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Bruceski posted:

Dead? Or perhaps it is alive after all? :iiam:

FluffySquirrel
Oct 26, 2010

Nidoking posted:

The original argument was "Because Phi knew about the Prisoners' Dilemma, her team would vote Betray, therefore Alice should vote Betray when opposing Phi." If you change the premise to "Everyone knows about the Prisoners' Dilemma," then the conclusion becomes "Alice will vote Betray every time," which clearly hasn't happened. So I don't think you're restating the argument quite correctly.

And maybe she would vote betray every time if not given a reason to trust the others wouldn't. What I'm saying is, if it were her against a big goofy Sigma who only ever seems to vote Ally, she'd probably be more likely to trust him, but at this point, I'd be surprised if most people trust Phi, she really does come off a bit cold at times, til you get to know her a little at least

Sigma, by dint of being the controllable character doesn't have any direct betray/ally emphasis, whereas Phi has generally been somewhat keen to betray, so just wanted to point out that the arguments of 'How could Alice do this to our loveable Sigma' should bear in mind his partner at the time as well.

I mean, would you vote Ally against a team with Dio in? Although what if he was paired with Luna? .. .. now that would be a pretty interesting decision

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Time to make the rounds for the first time for the third time.

By the way, the next voice clip covers almost the entirety of this update,

999 OST: [Imaginary]

Listen in: [English/Japanese]

Oh, Sigma.

Alice.

Of course! I'm teetering on the brink of the abyss thanks to you!

I didn't have a choice. I'm just trying to get out of here, like we all are.

And that's enough to justify screwing someone else over?

That's not what I meant and you know it.
If I'd known for sure that you were going to choose "ally", then I would have chosen "ally" too.

What? Am I such a horrible person for wanting to get out of here?!
I have to get out of here!
There's so many things I still want to do!

Like what?

I want to wear lots of gorgeous clothes...
I want to eat tons of delicious food, and fall in love...

What an idiot.

Excuse me?!

I was going to take your side, but after that load of horseshit you're on your own.

I'm... frustrated.
But there really is something important I have to do.

Which is?

That's what I have to do.

What happened to him...?
Could you... elaborate on that?

No, I couldn't.
This isn't the kind of thing I should be telling people I don't even know.

Fine.
Just tell me one thing.
Does your father's murder have anything to do with us being trapped here?

As to why you're here, your guess is as good as mine.
But it's possible that his death is connected to my abduction.

Meaning?

I was on their trail. I was tracking down the people who killed him.

How close were you?

I can't say.
But it's possible that I was getting close enough that they decided something had to be done with me.

Are you a detective?

Not a bad guess, though.

Well... I mean, you don't really have the... detective... look.

I didn't say I was a detective!

Then what are you? CIA?

No!

Fine. Well, whatever you are, you don't look like one.

That's fine.

Wh-What's she got to do with anything?

Well, you know each other, right?

I was thinking maybe you were related or worked together or something.

No. She has nothing to do with my work.

Where's somewhere?

The middle of a desert.

A desert?

Yes. But that's an awfully long story...

That doesn't seem fair to me.
How about you guys give up a little personal information too?

Who are you?

Just a garbage collector.

Any ties to Zero?

None.

What's your relationship with Quark?

You two know eachother, right?

Do I have to answer that?

Well, if you really don't want to, it's not like I can force you...

Oh.

I mean, it's not like you told us everything either.

I see... Very well then.

What's your profession?

Well, you're probably gonna think I'm full of poo poo, but...

A ringleader?!

You're kidding!

Nope. I'm the real deal. I lead a company of about fifty people. We travel all over the world.

It was my grandfather's grandfather who founded it, but...
My father died at a young age. I'm a fifth generation ringleader.

My old man was a trapeze artist.
He tried to do this quadruple flip and... missed...

He was pretty reckless for a guy that age.
Always talking about how he couldn't let the kids show him up... Guess he just took it too far.

I see...
You lost your father too, then...

Yeah...

Anyway, point is, I don't have any drat idea how I'm connected to Zero.

I got grabbed on the last night of one of our tour stops.
I'd gone out to a couple bars and gotten shitfaced.

Before I can even get a look at 'em, they hit me with that gas and I'm out like a light.
Next thing I know I'm waking up in the AB Room.

We still haven't heard your story, Sigma. Who're you?

I told you guys the first time we met.
Don't you remember? I was on my way home from school, and when I got into my car this white gas started pouring out of everywhere...

Are you some kind of doctor?

Huh? No, I'm still working on my degree. I'm shooting for a PhD, but I'm not quite there yet.

Yeah, I guess I have.

Can you think of anything that might connect you to any of this?

Believe me, I've thought about it, but I just keep drawing a blank.

What about Zero?

No idea.

Do any of the people here look familiar to you?

Nope. You're all strangers.
...Well, I guess I can't really say for sure about K, since I haven't seen his face. I suppose it's possible he's someone I know.

Just who is he, anyway?

Oh, come on! You know he's full of poo poo!

You still don't believe him?

Of course not!

I think she's a student.
At night she's a waitress or a bartender or something.

Hmm...

Well, I guess he probably doesn't really have a job, huh. He's still in elementary school, right?

Heh...

Why's that funny?

It's nothing.
Just forget about it.

...?

Yeah, you're right.
Boy his age would be in elementary school.

You don't really know much, do you? About Quark, I mean.

If it makes you feel better, sure.

...?

I got her talking when we were in the infirmary.
She says she's got some sort of medical license or something.

She's a nurse?

It could mean she's a doctor.

I don't know, she didn't say.
Just going by how she looks, though, I'd guess nurse...

You've been around her the most, Sigma.
She told you anything?

It's just kind of... there.
Like, I looked at you...
...And some part of my brain just said, "That's Sigma".

You sure?

Yeah... She's a real mystery, all right.
I honestly know about as much as you do.
So... basically nothing.

A garbage collector, an elementary school kid, a nurse, and a circus ringleader.
Plus two total mysteries.
What do we all have in common?
I don't think Zero would just grab a bunch of people randomly...

We should just focus on getting out of here.

I agree.

I'm gonna go check on the others, then.

Where do you plan on going?

Uh...

I see. Right. Later, bro.

Okay.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 1, 2014

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
I like the scenes where everyone just hangs out and gossips and raise twice as many new questions as they answer.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Questions? Why, whatever could you mean? This whole conversation perfectly innocent and clear. Quark totally confirmed with being a clone of Tammy, or at least being Zero's clone/kid/kidclone (after all, it's Zero Sr and Zero III? Don't know why nobody in the game has even thought to say "huh, what comes between one and three?")

Fedule posted:

Well, I guess he probably doesn't really have a job, huh. He's still in elementary school, right?

Heh...

Why's that funny?

It's nothing.
Just forget about it.

...?

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Ha, so he dresses like a circus ringleader because that's exactly what he is. That just amused me after seeing someone comment on that. I was all, "Oh, he does dress like one, doesn't he?" And it turns out... yeah.

But, interesting. Murdered father, huh? That kinda rules out being an Egyptian mummy, come to think of it. And there're just so many interesting little factoids learned about everyone. Though we already knew about Luna'as whole medical thing.

Kaja Rainbow fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 24, 2013

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
I was going to quote my favourite parts from that last update, but then I realized I'd basically be quoting the entire update. :allears:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Dio's actually being almost likable. That actually feels weird.

Alice... eh. I think barring her mysterious ties to Clover and the first game she's not really that interesting.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

Kaja Rainbow posted:

Ha, so he dresses like a circus ringleader because that's exactly what he is. That just amused me after seeing someone comment on that. I was all, "Oh, he does dress like one, doesn't he?" And it turns out... yeah.

But, interesting. Murdered father, huh? That kinda rules out being an Egyptian mummy, come to think of it. And there're just so many interesting little factoids learned about everyone. Though we already knew about LUna'as whole medical thing.

It's a very, very old murder mystery. :colbert:

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Alopex posted:

It's a very, very old murder mystery. :colbert:
Come to think of it, the murderer still being alive after all that time would be far from the only insane thing the creators've put in those games. And Alice does seem to speak about all those things she spoke about wanting to do as if she hadn't done much of them. Well, modern clothes and food, anyway. But I'm only judging from the written dialogue. It's not like I can listen to the voices to judge her tone--I'm deaf.

It wouldn't surprise me if Alice actually was an ancient Egyptian mummy, or if she wasn't. Either way.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Fedule posted:

I want to wear lots of gorgeous clothes...
I want to eat tons of delicious food, and fall in love...

What an idiot.

Excuse me?!

I was going to take your side, but after that load of horseshit you're on your own.

Tenmyouji is the best old man ever. :allears:

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Elite posted:

I was going to quote my favourite parts from that last update, but then I realized I'd basically be quoting the entire update. :allears:

I have no such problems. "Whatever you are, you don't look like one" was probably the best line in the game so far.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
It's interesting how the game seesaws back and forth between people being more or less decent and then those same people turning into horrible jerks you could happily watch die and then back to decent again on another path.

I'm still not too happy with Alice, a simple apology upon her realization she almost killed us would have gone a long way, and 'you're an idiot for trusting me and I have to avenge the death of my father so it's totes okay I threw you under a bus' is not one. Also if she wanted to wear clothes so bad then she should have gone and done that before she got kidnapped. :mad:

They almost managed to make Dio seem like a human being again but we know better now and I'm sure it's going to turn out he murdered his dad or blackmailed him into committing suicide or something because that's just how he rolls.

Ten's comments pretty much confirm some kind of major weirdness with Quark, but I think we already knew that.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Nov 24, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Thankfully, this update seems to disprove the "Alice was an Egyptian mummy frozen for a thousand years and somehow restored to life" idea. I never liked that one.

If Dio is telling the truth about his abduction, it suggests that Zero has at least one accomplice. Not a surprise.

From Ten's comments, I suspect that either Quark is smart and is past elementary school already, or he's actually a lot older than he looks.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I've always heard the head of a circus as a ringmaster, not a ringleader. Wikipedia says it's another term used, anyone know how common it is?

Not HMM A CLUE or anything, just with the good translation work elsewhere it strikes me as jarring.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Bruceski posted:

I've always heard the head of a circus as a ringmaster, not a ringleader. Wikipedia says it's another term used, anyone know how common it is?

Not HMM A CLUE or anything, just with the good translation work elsewhere it strikes me as jarring.

I hear ringleader a lot, about as often as I hear ringmaster. It's probably just a regional thing.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
I think it just different areas have different names for it. Like the various 'generic' terms for soft drinks/soda/pop/and so on.

Ringleader is what I've always heard, personally.

Though thinking about it 'ringleader' is also used for crime related groups. So clearly Dio is in charge of some sort of circus themed mafia. :v:

Actually, thinking about it, it could go either way.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Informative update at the least. After that, I feel that the robot is going to either be either sigma or phi, and that dio should never ever be trusted again. If he's not lying, there's no way do travelling circuses install any values other than 'we are poo poo poor, do whatever you can to survive'.

Though considering this game has so thoroughly uprooted and thrown around my expectations before, I'm probably gonna get embarrassed by this sooner or later.

rudatron fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 24, 2013

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
This answers why Clover's dressed like she works at a Hooters; she does.

So far people are turning out to be exactly what they look like. Luna's a nurse, Dio's a circus person, Clover's a waitress, Phi is a flower, etc.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

rudatron posted:

I feel that the robot is going to either be either sigma or phi

Phi did have that super-jump out of the elevator at the very beginning, but who knows if that was actually relevant or just anime flavoring like Alice's (lack of) clothes or the Snackhat™. I'd imagine we would know if Siggy was a robot, but I suppose that could be the whole Chinese Room thing; if he ever questions his own humanity, the answer is just hardwired to answer yes or forget the question. Sigma also has what are potentially visions, so that probably also rules out robot (unless they're memories or some kind of simulation/etc?), and Phi still has the whole "just knows" and stoic logic thing going on. Between the two, my robot money's on Phi

e: And have I mentioned how much I love this thread? So many good quotes spring up that aren't in the game's dialog :allears:

Zoe posted:

Also if she wanted to wear clothes so bad then she should have gone and done that before she got kidnapped.

Mister Roboto posted:

Phi is a flower

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 24, 2013

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Mister Roboto posted:

This answers why Clover's dressed like she works at a Hooters; she does.

So far people are turning out to be exactly what they look like. Luna's a nurse, Dio's a circus person, Clover's a waitress, Phi is a flower, etc.

Clover's outfit's already been addressed. It's basically weird street fashion--similarly outlandish styles exist on certain streets in Tokyo. Hell, there's been whole moral outrages over the girls wearing those fashions and their supposed (not actual) demeanors.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Kaja Rainbow posted:

Clover's outfit's already been addressed. It's basically weird street fashion--similarly outlandish styles exist on certain streets in Tokyo. Hell, there's been whole moral outrages over the girls wearing those fashions and their supposed (not actual) demeanors.

Haha, dude, I was the one who said that originally and posted all the Tokyo street fashion.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Mister Roboto posted:

Haha, dude, I was the one who said that originally and posted all the Tokyo street fashion.
Oh, whoops, haha. Sometimes I miss it when people make jokes.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

From Ten's comments, I suspect that either Quark is smart and is past elementary school already, or he's actually a lot older than he looks.

Didn't someone at one point theorize Ten was actually from some kind of post-apocalyptic future because of some comment he made about 'finding' a factory full of valuable metals? So let's not jump to conclusions, I'm sure all he meant is that a kid Quark's age should be in elementary school, but they're all closed at the moment because of the plague and robot takeover.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Nov 24, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
So, since Clover has been in three Nonary Games now, I wonder if she's going to host some big party and invite everyone who isn't a mastermind/killer from all three groups.

That'd be pretty wacky. :v:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Zoe posted:

Didn't someone at one point theorize Ten was actually from some kind of post-apocalyptic future because of some comment he made about 'finding' a factory full of valuable metals? So let's not jump to conclusions, I'm sure all he meant is that a kid Quark's age should be in elementary school, but they're all closed at the moment because of the plague and robot takeover.

Other theory: Quark and Tenmyougi are the same person. :tinfoil:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So, since Clover has been in three Nonary Games now, I wonder if she's going to host some big party and invite everyone who isn't a mastermind/killer from all three groups.
If we take alternate timelines into account, she wouldn't be invited to her own party.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
Hmm... This isn't the first time someone's commented on the way that Sigma looks, is it? Back early on, didn't Phi comment on the fact that we looked "really messed up" for being 22? And now Alice makes some offhand comment about us being in school for a long time?

Actually, have we seen Sigma's actually in-game's face? In a mirror or something?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Nephrite posted:

Hmm... This isn't the first time someone's commented on the way that Sigma looks, is it? Back early on, didn't Phi comment on the fact that we looked "really messed up" for being 22? And now Alice makes some offhand comment about us being in school for a long time?

Actually, have we seen Sigma's actually in-game's face? In a mirror or something?

Yes, sort of, way back when he watched a video of K knocking him and Phi out and carrying them.

It's a visual novel staple to generally avoid the protagonist looking at themselves and ruining the immersion.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Nov 24, 2013

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

We also see it all the time in the in-game graphics, which is as close as we'll get without an actual mirror - cutscenes like the one of him getting kidnapped, text box face illustrations, pretty sure some other places; I think it's more of a case of a relatively blank slate protagonist so you can better attach your emotions and thoughts to the story

saihate
Oct 16, 2009

ID: ththththt
PASS: hthththth
I think we get text-box face illustrations either. Since we're always looking through Sigma's perspective. It's pretty common in visual novels, as mentioned earlier.

Fallord
Mar 22, 2013

Mister Roboto posted:

It's a visual novel staple to generally avoid the protagonist looking at themselves and ruining the immersion.

People keep saying this whenever the topic is brought up, but 999 had no problem showing Junpei's face in several in-game graphics.

Fallord fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Nov 24, 2013

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Kaja Rainbow posted:

Oh, I'm not so sure.

After all, he didn't even mention that he had a daughter did he?

Also, re: Sigma's face...None of you have played Ever17, have you? Because a pretty big plot point in that was that neither of the player characters were who you thought they were.

Also also, I find it interesting that Ten skirted around the topic of Quark's schooling. I get the feeling that the kid's never actually been to school...Why? Iunno.

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Nov 24, 2013

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Are you saying he's a robot or older than 22? I guess it's possible although I'm not sure what the point of that would be since no one else seems to be pulling a fast one with regard to their age (well, maybe K).

I'm just disappointed that Alice apparently isn't an Egyptian mummy brought back to life. There was a lot of potential for crazy. :(

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Autumncomet posted:

I'm just disappointed that Alice apparently isn't an Egyptian mummy brought back to life. There was a lot of potential for crazy. :(

Y'never know! At this point we have yet to prove or disprove that anyone is lying their rear end off. Though she speaks pretty good modern language for someone from 2000 years ago.

Changamer
Feb 20, 2013
I kind of like how all the players are having civilized discussion, when we all know that all hell is going to break loose soon, like it always does.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Fallord posted:

People keep saying this whenever the topic is brought up, but 999 had no problem showing Junpei's face in several in-game graphics.

999 is not the only visual novel out there, though. The majority are POV-only.

The characters commenting about Sigma's appearance are just being mean. Note how it's just the hot girls saying "man you look rough dude." Tsundere or whatever anime-ism applies here.

The gas clearly just messed him up, which in itself a reference to 999:

"He intended to leave immediately, but... Something stopped him. His reflection stared back from the mirror, but he had scarcely recognized himself."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

GilliamYaeger posted:

Oh, I'm not so sure.

After all, he didn't even mention that he had a daughter did he?
I find him being a ringmaster more likely to be true than him having a daughter. The manipulative purpose of him claiming to have a daughter is obvious, the purpose of claiming to be a ringmaster not so much. Plus it explains his otherwise bizarre outfit.

The others more or less have (presumptive) reasons for their bizarre outfits, too. Quark's snack hat has practical purpose, Clover's is just street fashion (or a waitress outfit), Alice is either an ancient Egyptian or just the developers' screwing with us, K can't exactly help being trapped in a suit of armor for whatever reason (and it's likely the mastermind wanted to conceal his identity for whatever reason). Luna and Tennumoji's are sensible, and Phi's isn't particularly odd either.

Before this point, Dio's was the only truly unexplained strange outfit.

Kaja Rainbow fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Nov 24, 2013

• Locked thread