Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Who names their kid Sigma?

Two bracelets with the same number and the word Pair. Would that mean there's 9 pairs of players in this game? That doesn't seem likely, it's hard to get distinct characters and arcs for that many different people.

This was produced by the same guy who made "Ever 17", right? I wonder what this game's mysticbabble twist will be. :geno: I'm a bit less enthused for this game because of that one and the previous game.

If it bothered you that much, maybe go read something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
e: ah god drat it, that was brought up in the 999 thread, not here. Sorry!

theshim fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 23, 2013

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

theshim posted:

But then, if we have ____________________
ARE YOU PEOPLE EVEN loving TRYING.

Come on people! Raise your game!

DoublePLayer
May 6, 2008

by Shine
The girl's white hair immediately reminds me of Santa from 999, although that might be far from true. What I suspect though is that she knows what the words Nonary Game entail, seeing her reaction to Zero III's announcement.

Oh and chalk me up as another of those really excited to see this, but because I never had the opportunity to play VLR so yeah, seeing this thread up and going makes me happy!

TeWuicah
Nov 7, 2009
This came up in the 999 thread, but since there might be some people here who didn't read that thread I feel this warrants a warning.

If you get the 3DS version of Virtue's Last Reward, do not ever save the game inside puzzle rooms. There is at least one particular puzzle room that will almost certainly corrupt your save file and you will have to start the game all over again.

It's a serious bug that's apparently only present in the 3DS version, but if you're aware of it in advance it's not that big of a deal. If you're wondering which version you should get, I would still strongly consider the 3DS version, since it uses the dual screen in pretty useful ways.

Great LP already, and we're just one update in. I'm one of those poor Europeans who never got to experience the dub, so this is going to be interesting. After two playthroughs I'm completely used to the Japanese voices though, so [mysterious girl]'s voice being in English just seemed kind of weird. I do like the English Zero III's voice, it's pretty great so far.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

theshim posted:

Not necessarily. After all, the events of 999 were the second Nonary Game that they knew of (except Ace, who according to the developers knew more). They could be calling themselves Zero III because this is the third Nonary Game (that they know of).

Or, in a reverse "door q", it could be the one hundred eleventh Nonary Game.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

TeWuicah posted:

This came up in the 999 thread, but since there might be some people here who didn't read that thread I feel this warrants a warning.

If you get the 3DS version of Virtue's Last Reward, do not ever save the game inside puzzle rooms. There is at least one particular puzzle room that will almost certainly corrupt your save file and you will have to start the game all over again.

It's a serious bug that's apparently only present in the 3DS version, but if you're aware of it in advance it's not that big of a deal. If you're wondering which version you should get, I would still strongly consider the 3DS version, since it uses the dual screen in pretty useful ways.

As far as I know the bug is in the Vita version as well (I guess I'll find out!) but is less of an issue due to having multiple save slots. Though sometimes people only use one file (fools!) so that could still go badly if you do that.

The full breakdown on version differences is:

Vita:

+ Multiple save slots!
+ You can take notes in THREE DIFFERENT COLOURS!
+ AICH DEEEEEE
- Taking notes is a pain
- That loving menu prompt is always there

3DS:

+ Far superior touch controls
+ Vastly superior notes and can display notes alongside puzzles using dual screens
+ THREEEEE DEEEEEE
+ GUI just fits better on the screens and that loving menu prompt isn't there.
- Only one save slot and that's really dumb

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Fedule posted:

As far as I know the bug is in the Vita version as well (I guess I'll find out!) but is less of an issue due to having multiple save slots. Though sometimes people only use one file (fools!) so that could still go badly if you do that.

I'm pretty sure the bug doesn't exist in the Vita version, as far as save data being erased goes, however there is a point where the game will sometimes crash on the Vita version.

Edit: Additionally, they spell "dunno" wrong and it makes ME IRRATIONALLY ANGRY :argh:

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!

Seshoho Cian posted:

Edit: Additionally, they spell "dunno" wrong and it makes ME IRRATIONALLY ANGRY :argh:

That bothered me until the audio caught up, at which point I realized they aren't saying "dunno" and it's more like "don't know" without the t.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Fedule posted:

Vita:

+ Multiple save slots!
+ AICH DEEEEEE
- Taking notes is a pain

Also add that if you're a European who'd like to hear the English dub, the Vita version's region-free, so importing works!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

It's an accent thing. People pronounce it donno, dunno, or dontno (or "don't know" if you spent a few years with a speech therapist as a kid), it's just typically spelled dunno.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Oh, it's particular puzzle rooms? I thought it was all of them if your copy had the bug.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Alright, the train keeps right on rolling! I'm really glad you were able to get this together in such good time to sync up with the end of the 999 LP.

Zero III seems like the type of character who should normally get on my nerves but for some reason it just cracks me up with its "NOOONARY GAAAAME"s.

BearJazz
Oct 28, 2007

I love being the goddamn BATMAN.

smenj posted:

Also add that if you're a European who'd like to hear the English dub, the Vita version's region-free, so importing works!

From what I hear, the Vita version is slightly less buggy too. Either way, this is more of a discussion for the thread in the Games subforum.

I really loved this game, and I'm super excited to see it getting the so far superb SSLP treatment it deserves. If you own either system and are reading this thread, you almost owe it to yourself to play this game. Seriously.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Justin_Brett posted:

Oh, it's particular puzzle rooms? I thought it was all of them if your copy had the bug.

The save file can be corrupted in any puzzle room, but reports come in more frequently in one particular room because the game crashes more frequently there. Then of course the player tries to reload their last save and find out it's corrupted. It's a separate issue though, people get crashes without save corruption and vice versa.

evilspacehopper
Oct 10, 2012

Hinawa remembered in death as she was in life: endlessly eating birds.
If it weren't for the bugs then having only one save file isn't an issue at all. Though at least having a back up means you won't have to force us into the path with the biggest bug to get it out of the way like so many of us did on the DS version. It's almost like some sort of meta puzzle itself.

Anyway, this was the first time I've heard the English dub. I couldn't get used to [silver haired girl]'s voice but I loved Zero III. Also I have some sort of weird memory thing here where I remember the Japanese lines as the English text, I know basic Japanese but not enough to go without subs yet so I'm remembering them both at once.... Now I know how Seven felt in the incinerator.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Because I enjoyed the 999 LP so much I've actually decided I'm not going to follow this one because I would like to play it for myself (which I'll never be able to properly do with 999 having seen what happens) at some point when I get a 3DS or Vita. I'm sure that I would love this LP but I'm out, have fun.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Some Strange Flea posted:

The name Zero III sets up that not only is Akane out of action somehow but that someone else replaced her (maybe Aoi but who knows) and has also been removed.

That's not the impression I got. The one from 999 was the second Nonary Game, remember. Gentarou Hongou may have been called "Zero" in the first one, and Akane was Zero in the second one. This is the Zero for the third Nonary Game, hence Zero III.

And there we go. Anyone afraid of posting 999 spoilers, it has been done for you.

Blackajack
Aug 5, 2012

Ottakringer Helles

VLR's been on my "must play" list for a while, and from what I've been told about it, it completely blows the first game out of the water. Looks like this LP's going to be a hell of a ride, I'll be keeping track.

Also that rabbit thing's VA work is amazing, which is more than can be said for most English dubs out there.

Sytakan
Jul 26, 2012

Ohyes.
I love you for doing this Fedule, but I'm really worried that this might crash and burn. I've already counted TWO cases of spoilers and at LEAST four people not reading the loving first post. And I worry about this thing dying from a rage-quit due to stupidity.

Seriously, how loving hard is it to read the FIRST GODDAMN POST people?

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
This game made me incredibly angry when I first started playing it. It seemed like a lot of the characters were written to be purposely stupid. Fortunately, the game grew on me, and it ended up being the most fun thing I read this year. Anyone who's been on the fence about playing it, you should probably fix that right now.

Also, the voice acting is actually pretty good, which seemed very weird for a video game.

kiffkin
Feb 13, 2007

Fool! Women called Nyla are always spies!

Sytakan posted:

I love you for doing this Fedule, but I'm really worried that this might crash and burn. I've already counted TWO cases of spoilers and at LEAST four people not reading the loving first post. And I worry about this thing dying from a rage-quit due to stupidity.

If you're counting me as one of the people who didn't read the first post (seeing as how Fedule mentioned spoiler policy because of it), I linked that picture because it was on the first page and I didn't want someone to accidentally see it as the page was loading before they had a chance to read the OP.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Sytakan posted:

Fedule helps with Dangan Ronpa 2 also. I think he probably has a high tolerance for this sort of thing.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Sytakan posted:

It's a name. A name that means nothing to anybody. A name Sigma asked her, and she would've answered if Zero hadn't interrupted. My brain just missed that the interruption came just before she answered rather than just after. It's not like I thought it wasn't a spoiler to say (and here's where I can't say anything, because no matter how crazy an example I come up with somebody's going to think I'm not joking. I could say that Zero is Scooby Doo and Richard Nixon in a horse costume and someone would complain).

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Bruceski posted:

It's a name. A name that means nothing to anybody. A name Sigma asked her, and she would've answered if Zero hadn't interrupted. My brain just missed that the interruption came just before she answered rather than just after. It's not like I thought it wasn't a spoiler to say (and here's where I can't say anything, because no matter how crazy an example I come up with somebody's going to think I'm not joking. I could say that Zero is Scooby Doo and Richard Nixon in a horse costume and someone would complain).

I think the point is to discourage being fast and loose with heretofore unknown information, even if it ends up being minor and inconsequential in the long run. Because no one is going to know if said information is inconsequential until it's outright stated and/or implied.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I don't care what she ends up being called, I think she could be called Plenty O'Friendly.

Sigma is the 18th letter of the Greek alphabet ... and 18 is twice 9. That's the sort of thing that probably means everything or nothing.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Wow. Huge credit and the best of (insert nation here) luck to Fedule for even attempting this. VLR is massive to start with, and dual audio? Whoa.

I had noticed some difference between Zero3's style in the English and Japanese text so it's interesting to hear someone who knows more about the language than I do confirm it. :)

Fedule, if it helps there are transcripts of some of the early parts of the dialogue on the Wikia. (Spoilers lurk there too, though.)

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Oh man, that rabbit thing is amazing. I love its ENTHUSIASM. OH BY THE WAY YOU'RE GOING TO DIE IN A FEW MINUTES, HEEHEE! It seems to suggest VLR will have more humor than 999 (where the vast majority of the humor was Junpei's terrible, awful puns).

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

Spatula City posted:

(where the vast majority of the humor was Junpei's terrible, awful puns).

The Freaking Thread Title posted:

Lettuce Play Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
I don't think we are clear of the terrible puns yet good sir, I think they are just beginning :)

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
That may be less VLR and more Fedule.

Fedule rivals Geop for his love of pun-gent humor.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
I imagine we will have a puntastic journey up ahead.

It is interesting how we have two people with 3 bracelets that says "pair" on it. I can see two possibilities:

1. There are nine pairs of people in the game (unlikely since the cast would be really large);
2. The bracelet will only show the combined digital root when two or more people are in the same room, and the word is a reminder of the number of people in the group.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
The early speculation on bracelets reminds me of the speculation I had with my friends when promotional material for the game came out. We made up the craziest stuff, none of which I will tell you about so you can think of those same crazy things yourself! Ah, the memories. :allears: I can't wait to see what everyone thinks of the game.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Well poo poo.

Now I need to hurry up and play this game so I can enjoy the thread while I do so.

:allears:

The 999 thread convinced me to buy the sequel, and so I did.

Parallel5th
Jul 24, 2007
Feel the music
Oh man! I'm really excited for this. I literally just finished watching a video let's play on youtube of this today that, while functional, had a commentator that just drolled on about the most ASININE poo poo throughout the entire game and made me want to tear my hair out. I know Fedule is pure quality so I'm excited to take this ride all over again. I feel like there is so much stuff that will come through the 2nd time through that would have just gone unnoticed during the first time.

I think the voice acting is really strong the whole way through and I'll be interested to hear about the differences between the presentation of the 2 versions.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Loved all of 999, and I'm already loving this. That rabbit is magical already.

But Zero III? What happened to Zero II? :ohdear:

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Fedule posted:

The full breakdown on version differences is:

Vita:

+ Multiple save slots!
+ AICH DEEEEEE
- Taking notes is a pain

3DS:

+ Far superior touch controls
+ Vastly superior notes and can display notes alongside puzzles using dual screens
+ THREEEEE DEEEEEE
+ GUI just fits better on the screens and that loving menu prompt isn't there.
- Only one save slot and that's really dumb

One other thing:

The 3DS touch (bottom) screen gets a dumb green filter thrown over the graphics. It makes everything look awful.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

slowbeef posted:

One other thing:

The 3DS touch (bottom) screen gets a dumb green filter thrown over the graphics. It makes everything look awful.

To add on that, the view on the bottom screen is still widescreen, which means it's even smaller on the 4:3 display of the touch screen. It's awful trying to find crap on there.

Balk
Oct 15, 2011
Nth-ing the love for Zero III. Every mascot should be that amazing. :allears:

Fedule, do you plan to show off all the dialog? I've heard there are some funny lines in the easy mode puzzle hints, but I never had the patience to go back and find them all.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
Nice to see this started, been meaning to get this game but don't have money to spent right now so I'll be following this LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Calling it now: this is the Funyarinpa.

Seshoho Cian posted:

Additionally, they spell "dunno" wrong and it makes ME IRRATIONALLY ANGRY :argh:

Seconding that. :argh:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread