Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Does the vita version have anything to simulate the 3DS's ability to have the puzzle on one screen and your notepad or a clue of your choice in the top screen? If not, I imagine that might make some puzzles a bit of a pain in the rear end. Imagine having to actually remember stuff like passwords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symptom
Oct 19, 2011
For all the gruff this room gets, the music is the best part of it all.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.

Heavy neutrino posted:

Does the vita version have anything to simulate the 3DS's ability to have the puzzle on one screen and your notepad or a clue of your choice in the top screen? If not, I imagine that might make some puzzles a bit of a pain in the rear end. Imagine having to actually remember stuff like passwords.
Back in my days, we had these things called "Notepads" that all gamers used to memorize passwords, draw maps and compensate for the game's shortcomings in lots of other ways :colbert:

But yeah, there is a similar feature on Vita, though it's not as handy as on 3DS (no stylus, have to press a couple of buttons to open it, not that much space).

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Heavy neutrino posted:

The game itself has a notepad function, but I eventually just switched to pen and paper because having having to switch between the puzzle screen and the note screen was getting annoying.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

quote:

I love this file. I like when a game gets cheeky.

Waffleman_ posted:

Actually, it's a misspelling of caliber, meaning one's importance or status. Calm yourself.

I believe the guy you're responding to knows :ssh:

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

This room is the reason I just stopped playing. I honestly don't know why it's this room in particular. It's just that constantly failing the same puzzle at 4am just wore me out. Every time I go back to this room I just feel mentally exhausted.

"TMJYUVGJ"

"Tenmyoji you've ... good job"?

Zellus
Apr 3, 2010

Incompetence surrounds me!

symptom posted:

For all the gruff this room gets, the music is the best part of it all.

Yeah, it's probably my favorite track in the game next to Ambidexterity.

Meirlkor
Feb 18, 2013

Livingtrope posted:

I love this file. I like when a game gets cheeky.
Have you tried playing Umineko no Naku Koro ni yet? Though I don't know if I'd describe its usage of Knox's and van Dine's rules as "cheeky".

Livingtrope posted:

Waffleman posted:

Actually, it's a misspelling of caliber, meaning one's importance or status. Calm yourself.
I believe the guy you're responding to knows :ssh:
Why I sure did! I'm not sure if I should be clearer with my witty remarks or if Waffleman himself was responding sarcastically and he's the one who needs to be clearer. I know this stuff doesn't always go over cleanly in text form.
And it's calibre. :downs:

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Let's take this literally: Zero is a future version of Sigma.

SHE KNOWS EVERYTHING is easy too. Phi is either an accomplice or a time traveler. How else did she know Sigma's name at the beginning?

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.

Meirlkor posted:

And it's calibre. :downs:

:goonsay: The two are actually synonyms. Caliber and calibre are more or less interchangeable.

As for content, I don't get the hatred for this room some people had. The puzzles didn't seem that hard (although I probably wouldn't have gotten the whole turning off the screens thing).

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
A little late but I started with the old man way back in the first choice because he was so cool to me. Give em the business Tenmyouji!

Also I hated this room because I could not figure out that dumb screen puzzle. Had to gamefaqs it. uggh.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
It took me a long while to realize I had to turn off some of the lights. It didn't help that "I was you will be me." made absolutely no sense to me.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
I think it's a reference to a famous Latin phrase: "Tu fui, ego eris."
Literally translated: "I was you; you will be me". Generally something that is inscribed on gravestones, along with "memento mori". (Remember you will die.)

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
"Remember me as you pass by,
As you are now, so once was I,
As I am now, so you must be,
Prepare for death and follow me."

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Or its both, and Zero is an undead vampire Sigma from the future.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

The "she" who knows everything could also be Luna, just to rub salt in the wound.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Bifauxnen posted:

The "she" who knows everything could also be Luna, just to rub salt in the wound.

Or Alice, or the old woman... there are lots of "she"s who might have taken secrets to their graves. In fact, they probably ALL knew everything!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So, we come out of the final puzzle room not really knowing anything about anything, having only each other to talk to, but the strictures of the game mean we can all probably escape, unless Quark slipped out without us noticing.

I wonder how we're going to die.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Glazius posted:

So, we come out of the final puzzle room not really knowing anything about anything, having only each other to talk to, but the strictures of the game mean we can all probably escape, unless Quark slipped out without us noticing.

I wonder how we're going to die.

Well, not all of us. Unless Tenmyoji or Clover went through the door at the last minute they're penalized with death (assuming the reason they didn't go through wasn't them being dead already). Alice is toast. The old lady is toast and we don't even know who she is.

Also K and Dio are alone with each other and while K has been pretty nice to us we still know nothing about him, he's too..."poker-faced." Dio is an unapolagetic rear end in a top hat (unless his being an rear end in a top hat is a front, who knows...). Anything could happen with those two guys. Anything!

EDIT: Wasn't there an Outer Limits (classic) episode where everyone was unsure if it was simulation or not, they're all trapped in a room with a panic button and some of them are dying? Has anyone seen that?

Speedball fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 14, 2013

miguelito
Oct 5, 2012

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
(ask me about sexy shaving)
It's interesting how Phi's snark seems to make her more tolerable in the English version. Or at least that's my impression.

Because I'm playing this in JP currently (actually taking the exact same path as the OP by accident), and she's UNBEARABLE. Not witty or elegant or even entertaining, just blunt and patronizing and constantly putting Sigma down wherever she can. Him not responding to that at all actually makes him look like a giant pussy.
I'm happily picking every choice that somehow puts her at a disadvantage.

Also I think "She" can't be anyone other than Phi at this point. She's been stringing Sigma along since their first encounter. One thing I don't like so far about this game in comparison to 999 is that you seem to have a handful of characters that more or less tell you outright they know more than you - but for no reason other than drama, you spend the X hours between game rounds doing everything BUT sit them down at a coffee table, K standing behind them menacingly, and ask them to spill the beans.

(It's even more sad/amusing because unlike Junpei, Sigma's art makes him look like a huge beefcake badass with a gently caress-you attitude. For some reason, he seems to be the second softest individual in the whole group though.)

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

miguelito posted:

It's interesting how Phi's snark seems to make her more tolerable in the English version. Or at least that's my impression.

Because I'm playing this in JP currently (actually taking the exact same path as the OP by accident), and she's UNBEARABLE. Not witty or elegant or even entertaining, just blunt and patronizing and constantly putting Sigma down wherever she can. Him not responding to that at all actually makes him look like a giant pussy.
I'm happily picking every choice that somehow puts her at a disadvantage.

Also I think "She" can't be anyone other than Phi at this point. She's been stringing Sigma along since their first encounter. One thing I don't like so far about this game in comparison to 999 is that you seem to have a handful of characters that more or less tell you outright they know more than you - but for no reason other than drama, you spend the X hours between game rounds doing everything BUT sit them down at a coffee table, K standing behind them menacingly, and ask them to spill the beans.

(It's even more sad/amusing because unlike Junpei, Sigma's art makes him look like a huge beefcake badass with a gently caress-you attitude. For some reason, he seems to be the second softest individual in the whole group though.)

Or Luna could be a Gaulem, and thus have known everything about the game. Or the Old Woman, you know the woman, the one that's dead? She probably knows everything.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Or K could be a woman in the suit. Or Dio could pull a Crying Game and be in on it as well.

Though I guess that would be a Reverse Crying Game if you want to get technical.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Dio certainly has pretty enough hair to be a girl. Dude must have amazing conditioner.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Onmi posted:

Or Luna could be a Gaulem, and thus have known everything about the game. Or the Old Woman, you know the woman, the one that's dead? She probably knows everything.

People I would say probably aren't Gaulems: the dead ones.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

curiousCat posted:

People I would say probably aren't Gaulems: the dead ones.

You are mistaken. They could all be Gaulems. All of them. Including Sigma. Ever seen that episode of Sliders with Robert Englund, where everyone is a robot, except one guy but then you find out at the end he's a robot too, and he didn't know? Yeah, it's a bit like that.

However, that would be such a stupid bullshit copout ending.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Skunkrocker posted:

You are mistaken. They could all be Gaulems. All of them. Including Sigma. Ever seen that episode of Sliders with Robert Englund, where everyone is a robot, except one guy but then you find out at the end he's a robot too, and he didn't know? Yeah, it's a bit like that.

However, that would be such a stupid bullshit copout ending.

I think we can safely say that the old woman and Alice are human, seeing as they both pretty openly bled. Nothing says that we can only have one Gaulem though.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Onmi posted:

I think we can safely say that the old woman and Alice are human, seeing as they both pretty openly bled. Nothing says that we can only have one Gaulem though.

Well, it could be like a Terminator or SNATCHER thing, since they seem pretty much based on those, where they can easily bleed and mimic humans perfectly. :v:

I'm just saying it's possible, and I agree with you... we can assume. We just might be wrong. gently caress, I hope not.

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.

Skunkrocker posted:

Well, it could be like a Terminator or SNATCHER thing, since they seem pretty much based on those, where they can easily bleed and mimic humans perfectly. :v:

I'm just saying it's possible, and I agree with you... we can assume. We just might be wrong. gently caress, I hope not.

To be fair, SNATCHERS didn't bleed like humans--if I'm remembering right, they had whitish blood and that's why they were paler than humans.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

suddenly cats posted:

To be fair, SNATCHERS didn't bleed like humans--if I'm remembering right, they had whitish blood and that's why they were paler than humans.

That was the Frozeners from Policenauts, SNATCHERS can bleed, it gets mentioned in the intro "Employing an artificial skin, they can sweat - and even bleed. Part organic; part machine; they're almost impossible to distinguish from those they kill."

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Listen in: [English/Japanese]

I just realized something.

What's that?

We were trying to figure out where the others are... What they were up to, if they were alive, and so on.

Are you following me?

Yeah! You're talking about stuff that's been recorded, right? Footage of the past!
If they store that, we might be able to see it!

Yeah. I don't know how much luck we'll have, but it's worth a shot.

Definitely!

VLR OST: [Placidity]

Leave that to me.

Well, it was designed so that a human could operate it.
That means there's a logic to how it's set up.
A computer computes, a calculator calculates, and an automobile mobiles.
Everything's designed to do something, and once you know what, you can start guessing how.
Once you start to figure out how to get it to do things, it's just a question of playing with it until it does the things you want it to do.
See?

Looks like this is it.
Good work!

Knock it off. Makes it sound like you're better than me or something.

(Besides, I'm sure Sigma would have clicked on that clearly visible Desktop folder eventually anyway.)

Wait... What the heck is this?!
Everything says "No Data"!

Hm... Let's check the log.

Looks like all the video data was removed before we got here.

By Zero?

That would be my guess.
All it says here is "Administrator".

drat... Well, that's a little frustrating.
That footage might've told us a lot.

Yeah. It might have given us what we need to figure out who the killer is, too.
The camera in room 2 in the crew quarters would have recorded what happened to Alice and Luna.
Same for the old woman in the warehouse.

And if there was a recording of us being carried into the AB Rooms...
We could have even figured out who Zero Sr. is.

You want to open it?

Yeah...

That should be the system logs of those robots.
I told you about them in the pantry, remember?

Yeah, you mean the room full of robots on the other side of the green door?

Yeah...

Here we go.

Shoot.

Everything here's been erased too.

Looks like it.

I guess there isn't anything we can--
Wait a second...

What is it?

There's a scrollbar.
Try scrolling.

This is the best hacking scene ever.

I knew it!

What do you mean?

Only his body was disabled. His brain is probably still functioning.

Already on it.

Phi, unlike Sigma, has noticed the clearly visible "GTM-CM-G-OLM DOWNLOAD DATA" folder.

Here you are.

Then... Hmmm...
Try the one that says "Cache"...

Hmm... These filenames all just seem like random characters...
Whatever. Just pick one and open it, I guess.

Sure.

Yeah, that's what I thought.
This is probably from right after K decked us.
We'll be tossed into that white door on the left in a minute.
Just watch...

Interesting...
This is footage that G-OLM pulled from the main server...
The original data was deleted, but it looks like the stuff he pulled is still here.

Exactly.

So if we go back through these files...

Yeah. We might be able to figure out who the killer is.
Maybe even who Zero Sr. is.

C'mon, I told you I don't need you kissing my rear end!
Besides, it's not like I really did anything...

That just leaves Tenmyouji, Clover and Quark.

Please listen in: [English/Japanese]

heyareyouallrightwhatsgoingon

(Wh-What...? Why is she talking like that?)

youreallydontlooksogoodyourskinsallpalemaybeyoushouldsitdownforaminute

(She sounds like someone's playing a tape of her voice all sped up...)
(What is going on here?)
(I can't understand what she's saying...)

comeonsaysomethingareyouthereyoureyeslookkindablank

(And why's she moving so fast? It's like watching a video on fast-forward...)
(What the hell is...)
(...Wait... could it be me/)
(Maybe my brain is slowing down somehow...)
(So it just looks like everything's sped up...)

heysigmawhattheheckisupwithyoulooktheresasofaovertherewhydontyouliedownforabit

Welp. So much for this path, then.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Aug 19, 2013

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Wait that's serious it for this path? Just a "To Be Continued?"

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Fedule posted:

Welp. So much for this path, then.

What, really? That's how the path ends?
I mean we got some good info along the way but that was just.. unsatisfying. A little lazy, too.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I never did this path first, but I don't think that's the end...

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Y'know, I joke about Sigma being slow on the uptake, but this is taking things a bit too literally...

Of course, this is exactly how I feel after pulling an all-nighter at work, too.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Edit: I may be an idiot

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 17, 2013

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

SgtSteel91 posted:

Wait that's serious it for this path? Just a "To Be Continued?"

Sigma's one weakness: vertigo from standing up too quickly. GAME OVER.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Bad End via low blood pressure. Sad. :smith:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

There are some other 'Named' GAULEMs in these lists, aside from G-OLM.

To list a few: O-TKU = Otaku
A-5KY = ASCII?
M-1K3 = Mike
K-1ND = Kind
P-RTY = Party

Looks like the devs had a little bit of fun with the list.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
Its pretty clear that the bracelet activated, but its a really really lame ending.

Like so lame that if I actually purchased this game and played to this conclusion I'd stop playing it.

At least in the first game during a bad ending if you saw an ending like this you were given a silhouette, or at least got the impression others died and in one ending we saw clover go nuts.

Worst off being that he 'passes out' or whatever instead of her when she was the one using the computer.

I doubt you'd update to make an update that short. So it seems to be the ending.

If there's more to the ending I'll be significantly less dis-satisfied.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

miguelito
Oct 5, 2012

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
(ask me about sexy shaving)
Sigma has proven himself so slow mentally, the effects from K's knock on the head probably just set in.

• Locked thread