Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.
Fantastic timing, Fedule. It's been just long enough since I played VLR that I've forgotten most of the dialogue.

I'm amazed at how much foreshadowing there is just in this first short sequence. I can't wait to see people's theories as the game goes on. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.

Sundowner posted:

I have neither played the game nor read the previous LP. I probably should but I'm not too heavily vested in the game or series. I might go through it in the time between updates here.

Speaking as someone who mistakenly played VLR before 999...

Take Fedule's advice in the OP. He's not kidding when he says this game will spoil a lot of 999's content.

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

CottonWolf posted:

The more I listen to the English cast, the more I think that I prefer the Japanese voices for basically everyone except Zero III. You can't hate English Zero III though, that's physically impossible. She's just so full of enthusiasm.

I felt the same way when I played it. I generally just kept the voices on Japanese the whole time.

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

tiistai posted:

This reminds me of a thing that bothered me in 999, namely how the hell didn't Snake's bracelet fall off his prosthetic wrist. I mean, they did sense the heartbeat, as well.

I guess it could have just been built differently, especially if Snake was in on the whole deal.

Prosthetics in these games are far more advanced than the kind of technology we have in real life. They're meant to be indistinguishable from a real human body part--after all, Junpei did say in 999 that he couldn't tell at all by looking that Snake's arm was prosthetic.

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Without giving away too much, I will say that I freaked out about that clue more than I should have. It's very important to the story, but it's not so important that you have to decode it entirely on your own--the game will explain most of it in due time.

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Skunkrocker posted:

Well, it could be like a Terminator or SNATCHER thing, since they seem pretty much based on those, where they can easily bleed and mimic humans perfectly. :v:

I'm just saying it's possible, and I agree with you... we can assume. We just might be wrong. gently caress, I hope not.

To be fair, SNATCHERS didn't bleed like humans--if I'm remembering right, they had whitish blood and that's why they were paler than humans.

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

This was the first route I took in my playthrough. It totally sold Tenmyouji for me.

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

I could be wrong, but I'd bet that Tenmyouji and Phi's JP lines show more emotion/personality in the language and vocabulary they use, rather than the tone of voice. I don't know enough Japanese to confirm that, though, so maybe their voice actors are just lame.

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Nah, Sigma and Tenmyouji swear. Dio might be the only one who drops the f-bomb, though; I don't remember.

Phi lets a few dirty words slip occasionally too iirc.

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

This storyline is the best. I remember getting to this point in my playthrough and being completely taken by surprise that Sigma didn't wind up getting knocked unconscious or something else to keep him from getting out. We actually make it out for once!

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Blinus posted:

I played through the 3DS version 100% right when it first came out, without knowing about the bug, saving constantly in puzzle rooms. Never once experienced a single bug.

Same here. I consider it a lucky break, if anything.

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Yessss I've been waiting for this update.

Also--

Fedule posted:

What are you going to shoot it with, then?

With...mind bullets...

It's called "telekinesis," Sigma.

:allears: This was one of my favorite references they threw into the localization.

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Materant posted:

There's also the part where the ends have to be pointing in the right direction, otherwise gently caress you. That poo poo tripped me up for a solid half hour trying to figure out what the hell I was doing wrong.

Seconding this. I've played with tangrams before, so making a parallelogram was challenging, but not the part that got me stuck.

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Sudaj posted:

So I downloaded the third installment on Steam and after playing that for about two seconds I went and found my copy of this game. I'd never finished it, thinking the LP would beat the release of the third game.

The 3DS bugs are incredibly annoying! My 3DS froze multiple times on a single puzzle. I couldn't hit the home button or even turn off the power. It took me 4 tries to get through the room starting from scratch each time since saving in a bugged room can kill the game (I think?).

Yeah, saving in a bugged room won't always without-fail kill your game, but you do run the risk of corrupting the save file so it's best not to do it at all.

The first time I played VLR, I never had any trouble with the bugged rooms. Second time I played it, I had it freeze on me twice when I was trying to get through the PEC room. It's incredibly unpredictable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

^^^ What they said. There's stuff yet to come in here that is definitely spoiled in ZTD.

• Locked thread