Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Huh, that's an odd feeling. I got this game in audiobook format, my brother played it with me listening in over Ventrillo (started out mentioning the good parts, then we realized it's all good parts). So this is my first time seeing what Sigma and ---- look like. NOTHING like how I imagined them, I wonder if I'll be close on any of the characters.

EDIT: how could I not notice they haven't said her name yet? I'm not off to a good start here.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

theshim posted:

Not necessarily. After all, the events of 999 were the second Nonary Game that they knew of (except Ace, who according to the developers knew more). They could be calling themselves Zero III because this is the third Nonary Game (that they know of).

Or, in a reverse "door q", it could be the one hundred eleventh Nonary Game.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

It's an accent thing. People pronounce it donno, dunno, or dontno (or "don't know" if you spent a few years with a speech therapist as a kid), it's just typically spelled dunno.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Sytakan posted:

I love you for doing this Fedule, but I'm really worried that this might crash and burn. I've already counted TWO cases of spoilers and at LEAST four people not reading the loving first post. And I worry about this thing dying from a rage-quit due to stupidity.

Seriously, how loving hard is it to read the FIRST GODDAMN POST people?

It's a name. A name that means nothing to anybody. A name Sigma asked her, and she would've answered if Zero hadn't interrupted. My brain just missed that the interruption came just before she answered rather than just after. It's not like I thought it wasn't a spoiler to say (and here's where I can't say anything, because no matter how crazy an example I come up with somebody's going to think I'm not joking. I could say that Zero is Scooby Doo and Richard Nixon in a horse costume and someone would complain).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Overflight posted:

...wait...

...OK, is it just me or do these two look MIGHTY SIMILAR? Could also be the art style, but still. :tinfoil:

A lot of the characters share a visual shorthand with the 999 ones. Note that this is only *visual* style. It's not any sort of clue as to motivations or anything.
Luna -- June, the innocent waif
Phi -- Santa, scrawny, white hair, snarky attitude
Sigma -- Junpei, protagonist, dark hair, similar hairstyle, kinda gangly
Alice -- Lotus, hairstyle, "barely clothes" clothing
Dio -- Snake, laid-back confident stance
Quark -- Clover, the kid
Tenmiyoji -- Probably Ace, older guy, serious but not unkind expression, but like the 9th Man the first thing I see about him is his neck. Unkempt look, slightly wild hair, he could be either one.
Currently-unnamed metal guy -- Seven, the mountain

Which leaves Clover as Nine or Ace. I'd have to see more of her to tell if she evokes one or the other.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Spatula City posted:

Clearly, Luna is secretly a Pokemon. A POKEMON CALLED FUNYARINPA. :tinfoil:

No, Quark's the funyarinpa. Look at those things on his head!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Kangra posted:

*Camp name: pseudonym used by camp counselors to prevent kids from guessing their real name.

There's probably some obvious reason I'm missing, but why wouldn't counselors want kids to know their real name?

King of Solomon posted:

Man, Clover has the absolute worst luck. This is her third Nonary game, now.

At least.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Jeek posted:

I hate to be the guy, but this Clover doesn't really look like the one in 999, and neither Snake nor Clover mentioned anything similar throughout 999.

As an aside, since Alice appears at the true end of 999, it implies two things:

1. VLR occurs before or at the same time as 999; and
2. Alice will be alive at the true end of VLR (it would be a paradox if the true end in one game does not happen in another game of the same series).

I would even go as far as proclaiming that Alice is not (one of) the mastermind of VLR - anyone capable constructing such an elaborate death trap would most likely have a convenient escape route rather than randomly leaving him/herself in a desert alone.

Or she happened to be hitchhiking through the Nevada desert and hopped in the jeep, then Seven conked both her and Clover on the head and took them to another Nonary game. You have to watch out for the big guys, we're always up to something.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Dangit, I picked this game up to experience it firsthand (I really missed out on the puzzle rooms getting the game in audiobook format) and now I can't stop playing. I need to sleeeeep...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I just got the common freeze-up point so I'll post a reminder to anyone with the 3DS version, :siren:do not save in puzzle rooms and save before entering one:siren:. It won't prevent the freeze I got, but the puzzle rooms have a chance of corrupting save files. At least I just need to redo the room rather than the whole game.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Clover's model bugs me, but not for the "caveman Barbie" reasons (though is that ball on her head SUPPOSED to look like a skull or am I just morbid). Every one of her stances is smiling and happy, when she's supposed to be in shock and terror. Look at this thing, why does she have a smile? It feels like they did most of the character design independant of the story, then made them work as best they could. When she's talking it looks okay, but then she snaps back to that grin.

On another note, if you don't like those moments of "startling revelation" *show everyone doing a reaction pose*, get used to it. It happens almost as much as in Golden Sun.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Zeeco posted:

Which 999 character do you think robot friend is? We can't see him and he has amnesia so he conveniently can't identity himself or anyone else which probably means he's someone we know and voice filtering would stop Clover and Alice from recognizing him.

Also I like his voice, I was expecting him to sound a lot more monotone.

Well, I'm not sure Seven could fit even in a suit that large, so rule him out.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Zeeco posted:

I'm hoping it's Snake just for the opportunity for a fakeout plot twist where his left arm comes off and it's all robotics and everyone including himself is convinced he's a robot.

"What do you mean "blue numbers?" You guys can SEE things?"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

If I ever make an AI to emcee my puzzle-deathtrap game, it's totally going to be something bouncy and cute to throw everybody off balance. Makes it all the more fun when I drop someone into a pit of bees.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Color Printer posted:

Since Zero III outright tells us one of them is Zero from the very beginning, I'm willing to bet there's a catch or a twist there. Like, for example, K is Zero but he doesn't remember it at all. But that's way too obvious.

Of course the twist could easily be "Zero III is lying" but that's no fun.

They're all Zero. The game's actual title is Murder in the Orient Sealed Death Warehouse.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Kgummy posted:

Well, I guess we can guess why the bunny is Zero III. An AI made by the second zero.

Or she's the third Zero computer some guy built. Or it's software notation, AI version 0.3

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

asymmetrical posted:

So I'm the only one who hates Zero III and its voice, loathes the puns and nicknames, and have 0 interest in any of these characters?

Probably.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So after hearing nonstop praise about this series decided to momentarily skip 999 (as I can't find any copies around here) and try the demo out for this game.

I can't even figure out what I'm doing and the controls are so bad and gosh I don't think I'm cut out for games like this. (I'm trying out the vita version for what it's worth). Think I should probably stick to the LP

I assume it's in one of the puzzle rooms and not "how do I advance text". You're trying to pan around the room with a d-stick rather than the touchscreen, aren't you? I've tried that a few times and it too easily locks on moving up/down rather than to the side. Main thing to note for the touchscreen is that to look left you drag the screen right, which keeps throwing me off even though it makes sense (but is counter to Kid Icarus for example). I get left/right on the inventory buttons backwards as well; my brain is hard-wired to different navigational conventions.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Magenta/Luna

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

evilspacehopper posted:

Hmmm.... My first play through I went Luna. While there's no real reason I want to steer you guys away from her route, I'm voting Alice. Mostly because I went through her last and I wanna change it up for the LP even if it looks like Luna's winning.

That's the same reason I voted the way I did. Went Alice, changing things up to Luna, avoiding Tenmiyoji because I haven't done it on my non-audiobook playthrough yet and I want to tackle the puzzle rooms w/o temptation to cheat.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Pierzak posted:

Luna

Also, Clover is Zero.

(baseless speculation)

If Clover were Zero then she would call herself Clover. That girl is terrible at fake names.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

So if the vote ends with them tied we go through the yellow door, right?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Just caved in and bought the game after reading 999 and the few posts in this thread. Not regretting it at all but ran into a roadblock and unsure what the game wants me to do, so hoping to get a bit of insight from the updates if I don't just look it up myself.

I can think of a few spots where that happens in the initial puzzle rooms. Most of the rooms at least work in "locked room" logic, but there's an occasional "how was I supposed to know THAT?" Can't offer tips or ask where you're stuck of course, just offer sympathies.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Color Printer posted:

I think the worst part about 999's fast forward function is how inconsistent it is. If I remember right, it made me sit through Seven's entire spiel on the Gigantic a second time just because it was book ended by slightly different bits of dialogue. But then, after skipping the elevator scene (you know the one), it stopped fast-forward for only one line at the bottom of the elevator, which is slightly different if you skip that scene. And then it just went right back to fast forwarding.

Actually the worst part is it's not a loving toggle. :argh:

VLR has some of this as well. If a scene is identical with a different character being referenced in one line (say for example if 999 had a different person notice Snake was missing depending on the order you talked to people while searching), then the entire scene tends to get labelled as "different" even if most of it is the same people saying the same things to someone different offscreen.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

alcharagia posted:

What? No. VLR's treatment of identical scenes is that only the offending lines that are different are unskippable, the rest that you've already seen is perfectly kosher to skip through.

It really varies, I'll cite an example to back me up once we get there.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Our protagonist, ladies and gentlemen: skeevy pervert extraordinaire!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Fedule posted:

Hmm? As far as I know, for the first puzzle you can put the drinks on the bar in whatever order you like as long as they're Green Sun, Blue Planet and Red Moon.

Huh, I could've sworn you had to make a lunar eclipse (planet between the sun and the moon like in the room placement) but you have a picture right there of doing a solar eclipse (sun moon planet) and getting the code.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

"Why are you freaking out Sigma? We ALL have corpses in our rooms. Don't you know how the AB game is played?"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I love the "insult Zero III" "I'm/he's a rabbit" thing when it pops up. It's a small running gag (exacerbated by repeating scenes and how I'm too :allears: to skip ZIII's lines), but it makes me smile every time.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Fedule posted:

Incidentally,

Given the kind of game - and the kind of plot - we're dealing with here, you can break of at almost any point in almost any scene and get this effect.

I think it's that any picture you cut the story off at turns into a big twist cliffhanger. For example:

Dun dun DUN!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

theshim posted:

Luna is very conspicuously vague about what license she has, though! :tinfoil:

She's a veterinarian. Her family hasn't been very supportive, and she worries people would freak out if it was a "dog doctor" waving the magic diagnosis machine over them.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

John Lee posted:

At least Luna pointed out she had a medical license, and not "I'm a doctor," because then I'd be certain she's a botanist or something.

"I'm a doctor of theology, but I'm pretty sure this device can tell me which Hell Quark's going to end up in."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I might be misinterpreting what you're trying to say, but I think there might be a problem in your reasoning.

If someone says "Hey, I'll choose ally" and then chooses betray while the other person chooses ally, then they successfully conned that person and put them closer to death.

His idea, assume no limit on matches played.
"A, ally this round, B will betray you."
result: A at 1, B at 6.
"B, ally this round, A will betray you"
B at 4, A at 4, net gain 1 over start.

The idea here is that if you say "A and B, ally" then everyone gets out faster, but A and B can each individually gain if they switch. This method designates whose turn it is to get screwed over, so it's more resistant to sudden twists. If A is supposed to ally and betrays instead, B does not gain but he does not lose, and the round repeats. If B is supposed to betray and decides to be trusting, both folks gain in a pleasant surprise.

Since advancement is uneven, it relies on whichever one hits 9 first not leaving through the door. It also requires fully rational actors (though less reliant on that than the "everyone pick Ally" method, which requires rational and group-focused). Once someone starts deviating, everything breaks down anyway.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Of course, since the people here had no chance to coordinate, mostly don't know each other, and are stressed out because they've been kidnapped, any "rational actor" discussion is out the window and the good money's on resorting to cannibalism by the third round.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

lotus circle posted:

I have to say, I'm looking forward to the next voting round and seeing what those reading blind will choose. It'll be a different voting process than we had the first time, where you were just picking who looked interesting. Now you need to actually think on who would benefit you best during the AB Game.

That makes me wonder if the voting site can be set up with a second question of "have you played this." Not to weight the vote (it would be silly to weight the vote), but just to see if there's a difference between how they vote and how the blind watchers vote. The blind guys are probably going to vote for strategy, while those who have played will likely be aiming for specific scenes. Of course there will be the "trying to find an excuse to sway public opinion without revealing something nifty happens there" factor, but I'd still be curious in seeing both sets of results.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

As for discussing whether this is a "true" Prisoner's Dilemma, it should be noted that in addition to all the game theory on the classic Dilemma, there's a lot of additional study into variants and how that changes the optimal strategy. This is a PD-style game, regardless.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

slowbeef posted:

3. The numbering system bothers the poo poo out of me. I mean +3 isn't such a great jump over +2, and again, 0 doesn't seem to do anything. I think they were still working in the confines of 9 being an important number, and it just ends up ... I don't know. Again, maybe it's my preconception of Prisoner's Dilemma.

It may help if you think in terms of goals rather than raw numbers. If it was 2 years vs 3 years it'd be different but
--2 successful betrays gets you out while it takes 3 successful allies.
--Anyone betrayed in round 1 drops to 1 BP, while 2 would also be functionally identical this adds a dramatic element of hanging on the edge of death.
--The punishment for mutual betraying is "you tried to kill me!" rather than getting closer to death yourself. Also that you've just lost a round and need to pull off a backstab to get out at the same time as the ideal mutual-allying folks.

It's a system designed for drama rather than some overall long-run strategy. The small point differences mean that when anyone gets out it's likely someone else is one or two points behind, and second place is first dead.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

You don't need them to go through the doors, either, just their bracelet!

If it were possible to make a more freeform game I wonder how many people would create their own Axe Ending.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Natural One posted:

I just had a thought.

Zero III said that Partners "Share Eachother's Fate", right? That could either mean that we still remain paired (or whoever gets randomized) in the event that Alice dies, but it could also mean that we bite the bucket right alongside with her and Phi was so worried about "maybe it'll be different this time" because she's been through this before and the last time Sigma allied with Luna it ended up getting him killed and he's vital in some sort of Junpei-in-the-incinerator sense. :tinfoil:

Nine years ago Phi died in a rabbit-based version of the nonary game, cuddled to death by bunnies. Or she would have, but a young Sigma kicked them off of her and then promptly forgot all about it. This game is Phi's way of saying "thank you." She has mental issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Your opponent is decided by who you go through a door with into a puzzle room, not whose bracelet you bring into an AB room. You can say "I've got Sigma's bracelet so I just go through the green/blue/red door with it" but what if both your and his bracelets are both solos?

The whole bit with Zero III explaining that the bracelets mattered more than the people and how they come off is because of those puzzle-room doors. If Sigma (I'm picking on Sigma so nobody says "oh you used X because you know he dies later" or "you chose Y to avoid hinting she'd die, so she lives") trips and cracks his skull open while everyone's running to beat the timer on the chromatic doors, somebody needs to turn around and grab his bracelet, otherwise the other two people in his trio (whatever that trio would end up being) are stuck. Going into a puzzle room with a dead guy can be an advantage in the AB round, but physically holding the bracelet doesn't give you the same power as the 9 bracelet in 999, for example. SOMEBODY'S going through their door with that bracelet, nobody gets locked out by design. Sure you could be a dick about it and insist you take the bracelet, assuming it's compatible, but then you've got 7 other angry people and the only one who would mind killing you is whoever's the third in your trio. And even then they just want to make sure it's done before the chromatic doors close.

EDIT: Okay killing might be a bit harsh, but there's plenty of ways to get you away from that dead man's bracelet and into whatever door people choose that don't have to be comfortable for you.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 7, 2013

• Locked thread