Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Justin_Brett posted:

Oh, it's particular puzzle rooms? I thought it was all of them if your copy had the bug.

The save file can be corrupted in any puzzle room, but reports come in more frequently in one particular room because the game crashes more frequently there. Then of course the player tries to reload their last save and find out it's corrupted. It's a separate issue though, people get crashes without save corruption and vice versa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Sytakan posted:

I love you for doing this Fedule, but I'm really worried that this might crash and burn. I've already counted TWO cases of spoilers and at LEAST four people not reading the loving first post. And I worry about this thing dying from a rage-quit due to stupidity.

Seriously, how loving hard is it to read the FIRST GODDAMN POST people?

Fedule helps with Dangan Ronpa 2 also. I think he probably has a high tolerance for this sort of thing.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

SkuttyB posted:

Fun Fact about the 3DS version, the elevator escape starts you in easy mode automatically, so you have no choice but to hear your companions harassment of your stupidity, which for me was pretty bad on my first go as I didnt get the cue for the elevator buttons starting to work, and then I didnt make the connection to pressing 0 and 3... :sigh:

Nope, it's just the European version that does this.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Sundowner posted:

drat, I don't know much about these games or games like it but at face value it seems like it'd have maybe 5-10 hours content tops mostly because the format would begin to feel a little tedious or repetitive for me. That said, I'm thoroughly enjoying the LP so far and that Easy Mode dialog is great.

Did you play or read the LP of 999 like the OP warns? The length of this game really shouldn't be a surprise at this point.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
The one flaw I would say VLR has so far compared to 999 is the lack of danger. At the beginning of 999 we had Junpei trapped in a flooding room, and even afterwards there was a clear time limit before the "ship" sank. Here we've just got a mysterious rabbit on a screen telling Sigma the "elevator" is going to drop (who he has no reason to believe), and now nothing. They're just hanging around in a big room.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Bruceski posted:

Every one of her stances is smiling and happy, when she's supposed to be in shock and terror. Look at this thing, why does she have a smile? It feels like they did most of the character design independant of the story, then made them work as best they could. When she's talking it looks okay, but then she snaps back to that grin.

On the other hand, this could be an indication she's going psycho early. She smiled quite a bit when she had the axe.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

lotus circle posted:

Without spoiling anything, Clover's character models are just kind of weird with her expressions. There are many times where they don't quite match what she is saying and the tone behind it. It's even odder because there is a variant of that model where she's frowning after speaking in that same pose, but it just isn't used for some reason.

It was a joke. I doubt anyone actually thinks the next update will be her pulling out an axe.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
Yellow/Tenmyouji

Edit: changed vote later

whitehelm fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 29, 2013

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
Since it looks like yellow won't win, I'm changing to Magenta/Luna

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
That's odd, because my count says Magenta is currently 8 ahead of Cyan, 49-41.

Edit: miscounted by 1

whitehelm fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 29, 2013

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Some people retracted votes. Perhaps one of you forgot to account for it?

The only retracted votes I've seen are from yellow.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
Tip: You don't have to remove the alcohol bottles when messing with the machine. If you use a bottle on the machine when there's already one in the corresponding slot, Sigma automatically switches them.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

slowbeef posted:

- Take the bottles out of the drink maker, and put new ones back in (guess what pops up each time)

In case you didn't notice my last post, you never have to remove bottles from the drink maker, they're auto-removed when you put the new one in. I think it takes drinks automatically if you use an empty glass on it also, but don't remember for sure.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

ProfessorProf posted:

Another tricky element to the game is that the reward for high numbers and the penalty for low numbers aren't equivalent.

Gain points: Closer to escaping, but we don't know how much closer, since it hasn't been stated (unless I missed it) how many rounds there are going to be. Gaining points slowly and steadily could be a viable strategy, or it could be suicide.

Lose points: Death.

It was stated earlier that the players need 9 points (they're currently all at 3) to open the 9 door and escape. It was also stated that the door would only open once, so if someone gets 9 points and opens the door anyone who doesn't have 9 will never be able to leave (unless someone breaks the door open from outside or something).

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Sorites posted:

What was the point of making you earn your way into the AB rooms? I suspect there'll soon be an element of "If you don't solve the puzzles fast enough, you'll be locked out and can be safely betrayed in absentia". What else would the auto-Ally rule be for?

Your opponent would be stuck in the puzzle room with you, so it'd be pretty hard for you to get betrayed.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

curiousCat posted:

I'll do the game theory thing like tomorrow.

But yeah, those results are shocking. Especially Clover betraying Alice. Unless, of course, it was K... but Clover would still be in there.

If K really wants to vote betray, do you honestly think Clover can stop him?

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Pierzak posted:

In normal-mode or psycho-mode? :v:

I assume K's armor can protect against axe strikes.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

SharpWingedSpear posted:

Does anyone else feel that Zero III is a lot less compelling of a villain than Zero was in 999? Zero III is just DR-styled and not as imposing to me.

Maybe that's because Zero III isn't the actual villain, he just works for this game's Zero and runs the game?

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
You only have to mash A for those couple lines before you can autoskip again. It's not like 999 where you have to go through the entire scene because a couple lines are different.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

John Lee posted:

Well, if you trusted somebody. Obviously, trust is in short supply around here, but I can name half a dozen people I know in real life off the top of my head, and probably a dozen more within a minute, that I'd trust to not kill me in the situation of "You can kill this person; do you?"

The issue is that trusting these people, in this situation, can be difficult. But I think for at least half of them, from what we've seen so far, I'd be cool with choosing Ally if we had agreed to do so beforehand.

I mean, I wouldn't see K, for example, betraying me; he's a cool guy, seems reasonable, and I have a hard time believing that if I said "Yo, K, let's choose Ally. you in?"
"But, John, if I betray you, you will die."
"Yeah, but you're not gonna do that, because it's nearly pointless, right? A one-point boost in exchange for killing a guy, when we already know everybody can get out with enough points? Even motivated by selfishness, it'd just make you job harder later."

And if he DID turn out to be a cackling villain who says "HOHOHOHO, YOU FOOL! NOW YOU ARE DEAD, AND I HAVE ANOTHER POINT!", it'd be worth the small risk I took to let everybody else know that K is a douchbag, and a poor planner at that.

Huh? K has 6 points, and literally the only thing we know about him is that he was willing to betray in round 1. It's not nearly pointless for him to betray someone, he gets to leave if he successfully does it. Plus, he's the biggest guy here, no one's going to be able to stop him from leaving.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Pierzak posted:

Why oh why didn't we get the recording of Zero3 going "waah waah I'll miss you guys JUST KIDDING"? :(

You mean this recording which was marked "Listen in or miss out"?

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
I'm a little curious why so many people voted for Infirmary. I thought Crew Quarters was an obvious choice because we haven't seen them yet.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

curiousCat posted:

It's picking the order, not a single choice.

Ok, let me rephrase that then. I'm curious why people want to go to the Infirmary first, rather than somewhere we haven't seen.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Wolery posted:

Let's go through a door with anyone except Luna. We've already gone through a door with her and she's pretty boring. I want to see what other characters have to say.

I support this plan. Let's hang out with as many different people as possible.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Green Intern posted:

I'm just wondering, but what the hell are those things on Quark's hat?

We don't know.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Nidoking posted:

That's weird. Is the label on the (name redacted just in case) door always visible in this scene? I don't remember that from when I played the game, but I probably wasn't paying much attention - I took this route fairly late in the game and was familiar with enough of the scenery to be ignoring most of it.

I just checked on a completed game, and it's not visible. Either it's different on the European Vita version or Fedule used the wrong screenshots. Also, Sigma is missing the line "Might as well...." right before he pulls the lever.

whitehelm fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jun 16, 2013

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Kangra posted:

So "middle of" isn't a crucial bit of information, and the connection to "Middle Kingdom" was invented by the translators. How did they screw it up that bad? All they needed to do was cut it off a word earlier.

Am I not incorrect in thinking Sigma's assessment of Phi as thirteen is way off base? She looks exactly how old she says she is to me, and indeed he does look a bit older than 22 (but not by much).

How is it bad for the translators to do their own silly thing for Phi rather than rely on a Japanese pun that isn't easily localized?

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
Edit: Nevermind, misunderstood the post I was replying to.

whitehelm fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 4, 2013

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Color Printer posted:

I'm really starting to wonder whether the fact that Clover going loving nuts when she thinks her brother was murder-sploded by someone whilst playing a game of life or death that she's already been forced to play once before as a child really counts as "psychotic tendencies". I'm no expert on human psychology, but come on now.

(Of course the minute she shows signs of completely going off the deep again I am going to immediately regret this post.)

Right, and she's now in yet another life or death game with the only person she knows there stabbed. I don't think it's unreasonable for people to think she might act the same way.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
Fedule: Dragonatrix's 999 LP is up on LParchive, maybe you would like to change the link in the OP?

I think my first full run through VLR was about 40 hours. Then I replayed it using Japanese audio and got 52 (the lines take longer to say). Some of that extra time was also getting dialogue I missed the first time.

whitehelm fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Aug 1, 2013

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Alopex posted:

Oh poo poo. It's always the sweet, hippie-looking ones.

I bet K's not coming back in one piece.

Dio already told us that he saw K alone. He might be safe for now.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Paracelsus posted:

Skin and muscle have a certain degree of give to them. Except for K, I suppose. I forget whether the game has addressed how his armor affects the bracelet's delivery system.

It was stated that most of the bracelet is under K's armor, with only the display visible.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Bruceski posted:

Dio took it from them at the white doors, since he's with Alice/K.

No, we never gave it to him. Phi still has it, though we're headed back to Dio right now so it doesn't really matter.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

SgtSteel91 posted:

Maybe Luna wasn't dead when K got to her and the both of them talked before Luna died.

Luna was killed by tubocurine which stops her from breathing. She wouldn't have been able to sit and have a chat with K after being injected (unless K is the one who killed her).

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

SingerOfW posted:

I honestly don't remember that explanation about Clover and Dio, probably because I picked a different option. I do remember that it still made plenty of sense, though, which means that the devs have done a good job of coming up with plausible theories for all three candidates. Or maybe I just don't remember it simply because it was so long ago.

It's the latter...the only difference is whether Sigma or Phi is giving the explanation.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Onmi posted:

I'm just going to assume that Clover wrote Dio on her leg and that the line of events is...

Don't forget to explain why Clover decided to write Dio's name backwards if you're going with that. In Dangan Ronpa the name was upside down because of Maizono's position against the wall, while Clover just wrote on her leg.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

GeneralYeti posted:

They're all stacked on one another, and the bottom one is already filled.

That won't stop them.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

I wouldn't say that's quite fair to the Door 1 choices. I'd imagine it'd work like this:

AB Game 2: 19
Chromatic Door 2: Red (4), Blue (7), Total: 11
AB Game 1: Betray (5)
Chromatic Door 1: Yellow (20), Cyan (14), Total: 34

So it'd be a win that we go back to the first door, and from there Yellow would win. That's my assumption anyway, don't know how Fedule is actually breaking it down.

This seems like it gives an unfair advantage to the door choices. All those Cyan votes would count for Yellow even if the people voting for Cyan had AB game 2 as their second choice and really didn't want to go through Yellow.

whitehelm fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Aug 29, 2013

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Meirlkor posted:

I think it's more of a symmetry thing than a 'We WANT to betray Luna, gently caress being a nice guy!' Go back to the last choice made, pick a different outcome, and take it through to the end. It lets us fill up the flowchart evenly from left to right, too.

Alternatively, people just want to do it now while the events leading up to it are fresh in our mind, as opposed to later when we've seen several different paths. It's less confusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Onmi posted:

Wait I thought it was Zero Sr. not Zero II

It's both. Akane was Zero I, making this mastermind Zero II.

• Locked thread