Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
So if this game is the Ambidex Edition, shouldn't these two have their bracelets on different hands?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

Green Intern posted:

Clover and...a robot monk?

I guess Snake's really upgraded his prosthetics. Also, I just realised that Zero being a rabbit is probably supposed to bring Akane's rabbit story to mind. They're definitely not shy about references to 999... or Lord of the Rings, for that matter.

Those coloured doors are in secondary colours (magenta, yellow, cyan), so I'm guessing each will require a combination of two bracelet colours to open. Everyone's bracelets being 3 probably means that three people will be required if the nonary theme holds, too, so each door would have a pair and a solo going through. That means our choice would be between Tenmyouji and Luna, conveniently avoiding any returning characters for the moment.

The Ambidex rooms are also interesting. They seem like they might have something to do with the bracelets... maybe they let people change their numbers or colours? That would make any keycards they find extremely valuable.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
Now I'm kind of hoping it has Sierra-style death messages. Imagine all the puns they could fit into those!

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

Color Printer posted:

Also couldn't they also do 3 reds, 3 blues, and 3 greens, and go through the complimentary color doors?

Yep, we could go with any of the solos right now.

Each door has a pair, huh? And the second quote means that definitely applies to doors other than the Chromatic ones. Sounds like there'll be two 9-doors again.

Anyway, I guess the bracelet numbers are only relevant to the exit this time. The question still remains, how exactly do BP work? There are only six Ambidex Rooms; if they gave 1 BP each, one person would have to get all the keycards to get to 9, which seems unlikely. Do they give more, or is there some way to transfer points (and if so, can it be done unwillingly)?

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
Quote != edit.

Zandar fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 27, 2013

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

This will be explained in full when the time comes.

Oh, I wasn't expecting anyone to answer those questions, I'm just speculating. It's interesting to me because the exact mechanics will have implications on how characters will be interacting. If it's just "keycard = x BP", the contest will revolve around possession of the cards, which mirrors 999 to some extent and may mean more physical conflict. If there's some sort of points transfer involved, it opens up more possibilities for alliances; for one thing, it makes it more likely that multiple people could get 9 BP, and there doesn't seem to be a rule against those people all leaving at the same time. That could lead to a more Liar Game-style psychological conflict, where victory depends on recruiting others to your cause.

I think the latter case is more likely, not least because it's just more interesting that way. I'm guessing it won't be revealed until someone actually finds a card, though, so there's plenty of time for murders based on false assumptions.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
I think that, short of everyone actually working together, the ways to win are:

1) Have someone willing to sacrifice themselves to save you. Might be a possibility with some of the people who know each other, but it's really hard to judge without knowing more.

2) Two people with 7BP manage to get paired up for the AB game. Risk-free for both of them, unless one really, really hates the other for some reason. If someone realises this possibility beforehand, they might actually try to physically stop them from entering a puzzle room together. It'd be interesting to see how Zero would handle that.

3) Have 6BP and convince someone that you're going to ally with them. It'd be a tough sell, but if someone gets 3 points in this round, they can claim that it was just for self-preservation like Phi said. Once things can be pre-arranged, it'd make more sense for everyone to just ally, right? Still not likely to work, though, because people will insist you even your score with the others somehow. (Try to convince them that you should play against someone else with 6BP and both betray to let others catch up; the negotiations with the other 6BP person afterwards as you suggest you could both get up to 8 will be hilarious.)

4) Convince someone that you're not going to use the 9 door even if you get 9BP. This is the big one. The real danger here isn't actually convincing a single person at the last minute, it's setting up an agreement right after the first round that no one will leave until everyone has 9BP. You could propose it publicly to the whole group, or suggest a private alliance; it might even be best to do both, and make the private group think you're just going to betray the others. I'm going to be pretty suspicious of anyone who actually does this, though they might just be a patsy.

The metagame of deciding who's paired with whom is going to become pretty important, which makes me wonder how often we're actually going to be able to choose our partners. It seems like other people might have some strong opinions on the matter in the later rounds. Is Sigma going to be as much of a dick as Junpei?

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

Wolpertinger posted:

For them to 'win' they have to physically reach the door and pull the lever - since Quark is a kid, it probably wouldn't be too hard to restrain him.

We still haven't seen how Zero would react to physical violence, though. Trying to restrain him could get you penalised.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
It's interesting that in 999, there was a constant sense of time pressure; they had to get through the entire thing in nine hours, and there was a lot of dialogue reinforcing how nervous they were about that. Here, the game seems set up to be almost the opposite, forcing everyone to wait for long periods with nothing to do. Zero III even said the game would go on for as long as was needed for someone to win, further removing any sense of urgency.

On the other hand, none of the mechanics in 999 specifically encouraged players to actively kill each other; the REDs were certainly used that way, but the rules were only about progressing through puzzle rooms. Sure, anyone who didn't make it through the 9 door would die, but the set-up suggested a competition rather than conflict. The AB Game, on the other hand, directly rewards players for pushing others towards death, and Zero III sanctioned that further by pointing out the advantage a dead person's bracelet would grant.

Essentially, in 999 it felt like the danger came from Zero, even though that was never really the case. In VLR, the only apparent danger from Zero was in the first room, and that was quickly dispelled; it's more of a prison than a deathtrap, and the only way you'll die is if one of your fellow players screws you over. Whereas the characters in 999 were originally pushed into trusting each other through common danger, the characters in VLR are pushed towards distrust. The whole thing suggests a different mindset from this Zero; they want to see the group destroy themselves, or build trust in the face of death. There's a possibility that this Zero was betrayed by a friend at some point in the past, and that led them to make this game.

One other thing to note is that there's no real way to generate an "epiphany" in this game, since the puzzles aren't connected directly to the danger. That means it's unlikely that morphogenetic telepathy will be involved; I guess we'll be seeing some new pseudoscience this time, although I haven't got the faintest idea how lunar eclipses could figure into it.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

GeneralYeti posted:

I think that anyone who opens a door using a bracelet and a card will be entered into the AB game. So yes, having a bracelet can let you get 3 BP automatically.

More specifically, it's likely that any bracelet used to enter a Chromatic Door will be entered into the subsequent AB Game, otherwise there'd be players without opponents. In fact, since people have to enter the Chromatic Doors or die, and they have to have three bracelets to enter, many situations would require someone to use a dead person's bracelet. You'll only get an automatic 3 BP if you have a dead solo, though.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
Well now, an infectious disease suggests a pretty good reason to stick K into a suit, and trying to find a cure for it could be a pretty good reason for a Nonary Game. The mention of Schrodinger's Cat suggests that our multiple playthroughs are going to be more directly related to quantum mechanics this time; I wonder if the entire setup could be meant to produce a sort of quantum computer, solving a problem by trying every possible solution at once?

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

NextTime000 posted:

The real question is why would Clover even ally to begin with :confused:

Well, we never actually saw Clover enter. Maybe Tenmyouji or Quark killed her and threw her bracelet in the Ambidex Room to get Quark his 9 points.

E: Wait, of course we just saw her leave. My brain's not firing on all cylinders today.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

Flea Wars posted:

I was thinking the exact opposite! What if a primary color can only mix with the one secondary color that doesn't contain it?

Red & Cyan, Green & Magenta, Blue & Yellow. Those get you into... three white doors?

That would give people no choice as to their groups, which would be a bit weird. Not saying you're wrong, it'd just be weird.

It would put Sigma with Luna again, though. I'm suddenly not so confident that she'll hit Ally for a third time.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
The other difference this path is that Quark and Dio went through the yellow door, which is the infirmary. If Quark grabbed the injector and tubocurarine in there, they might have given him the threat he needed to force Dio to hit Ally.

That would also mean that Quark's already violently insane at this point, but I feel comfortable making that assumption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

DWK posted:

The disease doesn't make you violent to others does it? They just said it makes you want to kill yourself.

That's a fair point, but really I feel comfortable assuming that anyone in this game is capable of axe-murdering at any point.

• Locked thread