Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Well after following along and observing all the crazy speculation for 999, a game I had already played, I'm going to enjoy this role reversal. Gonna be real hard avoiding spoilers if things get as crazy as they did in the first game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Bruceski posted:

It's a name. A name that means nothing to anybody. A name Sigma asked her, and she would've answered if Zero hadn't interrupted. My brain just missed that the interruption came just before she answered rather than just after. It's not like I thought it wasn't a spoiler to say (and here's where I can't say anything, because no matter how crazy an example I come up with somebody's going to think I'm not joking. I could say that Zero is Scooby Doo and Richard Nixon in a horse costume and someone would complain).

I think the point is to discourage being fast and loose with heretofore unknown information, even if it ends up being minor and inconsequential in the long run. Because no one is going to know if said information is inconsequential until it's outright stated and/or implied.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I like Sigma and the other girl already.

Puzzles look to be more of the same since 999, which isn't a bad thing. I like the idea behind the hidden puzzles, but I really don't think I'd be able to resist avoiding spoilers if I were playing.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

At least Clover is wearing shoes that don't look like souped up stilts this time around.

I'd complain about her outfit but based if those NHK World TV shows I watch every now and again about the type of trendy fashion people wear in Japan nowadays are accurate, her attire seems almost depressingly normal.

Alice is just straight up anime, not encroaching that one any further.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

Luna looks more like an Audino to me than June.

I cannot unsee this and I hate you forever.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Kangra posted:

I don't feel bad for Clover. I feel bad for everyone else. She's an unstable woman who's capable of going on a psychotic rampage.

I don't know, her brother isn't around to seemingly explode horribly this time around, maybe cooler heads will prevail this time? :v:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Jeek posted:

I hate to be the guy, but this Clover doesn't really look like the one in 999, and neither Snake nor Clover mentioned anything similar throughout 999.

As an aside, since Alice appears at the true end of 999, it implies two things:

1. VLR occurs before or at the same time as 999; and
2. Alice will be alive at the true end of VLR (it would be a paradox if the true end in one game does not happen in another game of the same series).

I would even go as far as proclaiming that Alice is not (one of) the mastermind of VLR - anyone capable constructing such an elaborate death trap would most likely have a convenient escape route rather than randomly leaving him/herself in a desert alone.

Wait, why would we make the assumption that VLR doesn't take place after 999?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

More to the point, the establishing date in the very first update is December 25, 2028. The first game takes place in 2027.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Vateke posted:

I played it for about 36 hours straight. I feel your pain.

(And in the end I fell asleep and finished it off in the morning.)

I thought my 20 straight hours with 999 was bad :stare:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

So Clover is both Haruhi and Nanoha. That's quite a pedigree.

Robot dude being Snake as an immediate possible conclusion to draw given our current knowledge (paired with Clover, memory loss, robot suit that could grant him vision perhaps?) means that there's absolutely no way that can actually be the case. Unless that's what they want us to think and spring it on us when we aren't expecting it. Except maybe they're expecting us to think they're trying to pull a fast one and go a different direction altogeth-- :psyduck:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Zyla posted:

A couple things on the June/Luna speculation:

The June codename is specifically an English localization thing and her original codename (Murasaki) has nothing to do with any of that.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Zyla posted:

just makes me think June was a plot relevant name. I wonder just how much rooting around the localization did. Because that was pretty genius. I wonder how that final sequence translates in the original japanese.

Well it WAS a plot-relevant name, just for that game and not this one.

I had forgotten how they named the doll in the original, just that the rationale is completely different.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

The only thing that throws me off about comments like that is that 999 was never really "grounded in reality" in the first place.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Let's go with Luna/Magenta. She seemed awfully eager to push the choice on Sigma...

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

saihate posted:

Luna really IS an Audino. Just wait for her to whip out Heal Pulse with that medical license.

Does this mean everyone around her wants to kill her? :v:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Added Space posted:

I'm going to speculate that the AB game is some version of the Prisoner's Dilemma. The hallmarks are there; a group of people that has no reason to trust each other, being isolated into separate rooms, incentive to betray others to improve your own situation.

Looks like you were spot on.

So here we have a situation where rationally the "correct" choice is to select Betray every time, and yet you presumably still need to get up to 9BP to escape. A lot depends on how many rounds of voting there, but regardless of that if everyone picks Betray every time then nobody wins. Alternatively, assuming at least three rounds of voting, if everyone picks Ally every time then everyone wins :v:

I don't know what conclusion to draw from all this, just throwing that stuff out there.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Dr. Stab posted:

The game is kinda broken in emulating the prisoner dilemma, since there's a strategy we can employ that does not require any trust on the part of the participants. Since a betray/ally still results in a net gain of points, and a betray/betray results in no net loss of points, if the players agree beforehand to always choose betray/ally (such that the person with the fewest points chooses betray so that nobody will ever die), then eventually everyone will get enough points. If a player, for whatever reason, chooses to deviate from this, then either it will be betray/betray, in which case nothing bad happens, or ally/ally, in which case the net gain is even greater.

The problem with your strategy is the "eventually" portion. For everyone to escape the 9 door you need a total net gain of at least 36 points spread between all players. Choosing betray/ally would work swimmingly if you were able to repeat the process 12 times and guaranteed the matchups in a way that would allow the points to be distributed evenly but I doubt they'll have that luxury.

This is also assuming that the rules and/or point values don't change between sessions, which we don't know for sure right now.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Also some speculation: This could be how the whole "Good People Die"/"Virtue's Last Reward" subtitles come into play, since in a prisoner's dilemma situation such as this choosing to cooperate can easily lead to your own demise.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Astus posted:

So, we're left with a game that at first glance looks like it is encouraging the group to back-stab each other to get ahead, but is actually punishing anyone stupid enough to push betray. Unless there's another gimmick, which there might well be.

My gut instinct tells me that the numbers on the bracelets won't actually reflect the aggregate results until the very end and thus no one will no for sure what the results of the polling were. Problem is that would make the BP display on the bracelets useless and that doesn't sound right for this type of game.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

curiousCat posted:

Tit for tat only works if you have repeated conflict against the same person or group.

I can give a game theory lecture if it's wanted since I'm majoring in it.

I'm all for that, game theory is a fascinating area of study that I've only really dabbled in in my spare time. It's a heck of a lot more interesting to explore than base-n arithmetic is anyway :v:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

quote:

And of course it's toooooootally random.
No rules or anything!

Oh yes, I totally believe our little rodent friend is telling the truth here :rolleyes:

The thing I don't get is that if you were one betrayal from death, why would you ever in a million years choose Ally again?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I hadn't even considered to this point that with random pair/solo assignments, any given pair in an AB game aren't even guaranteed to have the same BP, and yet both will receive the same penalty or benefit.

I have no idea how that mucks things up further but that's just yet another variable to consider in all this.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

curiousCat posted:

Junpei read the note in 999. It was read by Zero over the speakers in the japanese version.

I don't even think there *was* a note for Junpei to read in the japanese version, if memory serves.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

That note only existed to tie up an issue that couldn't be addressed in English.

Nine is "kyu" in Japanese, and since it was the Nonary Game, everyone just assumed the door they was searching for was 9.

They didn't realize that Zero had actually told them that the door was seriously Q so they wouldn't be stuck in there and die.

Which... actually sheds some new light on why Akane gets pissed at Junpei in the kitchen for not being able to solve that base-9 code if you keep messing it up.

I'm pretty sure it was meant to be deceptive, both to at least appear consistent with the game happening nine years ago and to throw off Ace.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Bruceski posted:

So Tenmiyouji and K can't be on the same team, and Phi hates Dio, and if left alone the fox will eat the chicken...

And some people said this type of metagame was easier to follow than basic arithmetic of base-n digits :colbert:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Bruceski posted:

It's difficult to even make joke answers. I have to make them REALLY obviously jokes.

The worst is when people not in the know make really obvious jokes that just so happen to be right-on-the-money spoilers except nobody realizes it. :v:

Pretty sure this happened a couple times during the 999 LP.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

So Luna has a medical license but doesn't seem to be a doctor/nurse (or at least not a general practitioner) if her hesitancy to Sigma's question is any indication.

Taking bets on what her medical license is actually for!

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I like how Sigma's being portrayed as somewhat of a sleazeball, as opposed to the slightly schizophrenic ball of generic anime blandness Junpei was (though you could argue that wasn't his fault depending on your interpretation of events :tinfoil:)

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

The Sigma we see in the game is a robot being controlled via morphogenic fields by the real Sigma, who is somewhere else completely but unaware of this fact. :tinfoil:

Or maybe everyone is a robot controlled in this fashion. :tinfoil:

Incidentally, this all seems to be a logical extension of the whole computer/terminal conversation with Lotus from 999. Whereas in that game it acted as more of a hint towards the nature of morphogenic field without being directly related, it seems the whole relationship is going to be explored in a more literal sense here. Or it could just all be a red herring :v:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

If this game ends with Sigma having to kill a Zero Gaulem via Snatcher-style gun-shooting minigames then I will buy ten copies of it :colbert:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Obviously this piece of information was kept secret from normal means to test whether that information can be transmitted to us through morphogenic fields. :tinfoil:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Well it took a bit longer than the last game but it looks like we're gonna get bodies on the floor in a hurry now.

So far in this game Phi and Sigma have had the best scenes and it isn't particularly close.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Also just realized, it seems that the whole "pairs share the same destiny" thing at the least doesn't extend to horrible death via murder since Sigma was paired with Alive and is still alive.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

quote:

Well we know now that a year has done nothing to help Clover's mental instability :v::black101:

I'm almost positive we're about to get betrayed the hell out but it's probably better to ally anyway.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

dscruffy1 posted:

So what's the mindfuck hook for this one? 999 had the idea of passing on information through the collective unconscious, but either I haven't been playing close enough attention or it hasn't come up yet for this one.

So far we've got psychotic AIs and the possibility of snatchers/replicants, but that's about it so far.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Is it about where Clover keeps her axe? :v:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Um... uh... :stare:

:stare:

Talk about pulling a fast one. I never would have even considered there being a discrepancy in the two shots of that room.

Whelp, I'm voting Ally. Out of fear of course.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Clover couldn't have been the killer.

I see no axe in that picture :colbert:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Knowing these games, the fact that they even give you a choice here means that the answer is "none of the above"

This can mean only one conclusion: :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Heavy neutrino posted:

It's true that the axe murder craziness thing didn't happen in VLR's timeline, but let's not forget that the only difference between the axe murder timeline and this one is that Clover learned that Snake was still alive. She was this close to actually doing it.

She was even brazen enough to tell Junpei exactly who she was going to axe!

• Locked thread