Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Some Strange Flea posted:

The name Zero III sets up that not only is Akane out of action somehow but that someone else replaced her (maybe Aoi but who knows) and has also been removed.

That's not the impression I got. The one from 999 was the second Nonary Game, remember. Gentarou Hongou may have been called "Zero" in the first one, and Akane was Zero in the second one. This is the Zero for the third Nonary Game, hence Zero III.

And there we go. Anyone afraid of posting 999 spoilers, it has been done for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

The elevator is actually a pretty nice introduction to the optional puzzles. Personally, I didn't make the "Zero III is a rabbit" connection to the buttons at all, and just pressed 0 because there were zero rabbits in the picture. Once I'd opened the safe, I recognized that there was likely a third memory card somewhere and searched around. Even in Hard mode, Sigma still mentions that the rabbit called itself "Zero III" and speculates on what would happen if he pressed 3 instead of 0. After that, I always solved the optional puzzle before leaving the room - except for the first one after the elevator, which stumped me for weeks. It did give me an interesting appreciation for a game mechanic that most people probably don't realize is there, which I'll talk more about when it's appropriate if the LP hasn't brought it up first.

And I can think of at least two times when I solved the optional puzzle without even realizing that the mandatory one existed, and I'm pretty sure there was a third somewhere simply because that's how I stumble through games.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, usually proper nouns and special terms in stories like these are in English and it's fine. You see it a lot in stuff like anime or tokusatsu. Most Japanese people know more English than you think.

Although it leads to some unintentional hilarity in the English translations, when phrases that seem really simple in English confuse the characters, simply because they were delivered in English in the Japanese version and a character doesn't know the word in question. There's no real reason to translate the English phrase into any other language in the English version, so they generally make the character confuse the phrase with a near-homonym for a bad pun. It IS meant to be a sign of less than stellar intelligence, but the English translations tend to make the characters affected sound like utter morons rather than just not fluent in a foreign language.

And I know talking about enjoying speculation is off-topic, but I feel compelled to point out that this presentation adds a bit of mystique above actually playing the game because the answers to quite a few of the questions (particularly the mechanics of the Nonary Game: Ambidex Edition itself) are discussed in the game's manual. Another place to be wary of spoilers, perhaps, if it means that much to you.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

An interesting translation note, since we were talking earlier about the use of English words in the Japanese audio: The Chromatic Doors are simply called "Colored Doors" using the English phrase in the Japanese track. I suppose "Chromatic" is an appropriately non-standard word to mirror the unusual nature of the English phrase to Japanese speakers while still making it clear what they're talking about.

As for Zero III's nicknames for everyone, I can never catch all of them, but I don't believe they're puns in Japanese. It just refers to Sigma as "Sigma" and Phi as "Phi-kun", for example - rather condescending ways to refer to someone that, as any Japanese translator will tell you, have no equivalent in English and tend to cause problems any time they become relevant to the dialogue. I think the use of nicknames is pretty clever, although it makes Zero III sound a bit meaner than was perhaps intended. Calling Dio "B.O." is just childish, and I don't think it was meant to come across that way. It's more an "I'm superior to you, and I'm in control of everything, so I'll talk to you however I like."

Fedule, let me know if you don't want me posting differences like these in the thread, since I know of a few that could be considered to have relevance to the story later on.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Fedule posted:

Anyone know what the equivalent for all these are in Japanese, and whether they work any better? Some of the English ones are a bit questionable in their success.

In this case, it sounds like she's saying "the Mouse King", which I (and Wikipedia) take to be a reference to The Nutcracker. I think it works even less well, since the type of animal is right there in the name.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

booksnake posted:

Gotta be, right? Like, if one of the solos died right off here, that would close off even more options for doors!

Not if it works the way it did in 999, where the bracelet comes off when the player dies and functions as the live player did for the purposes of entering doors.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

SingerOfW posted:

I never really got K's nickname, since potassium is not something you expect to see that often. That, and English is not my native language, and the element is called Kalium around here. Good thing I finally checked the dictionary!

I didn't see an answer to this in the thread - K is the chemical symbol for the element Potassium, probably because of an alternate name similar to Kalium. It's no more sensible than W for Tungsten (Wolfram).

Kinfolk910 posted:

Further notes: I've done the prisoners dilemma before. I managed to derail it with logic and the words "I know where you live." Then again I was also voted "Most likely to snap and murder someone."

Then you didn't do the Prisoners' Dilemma. The proper version of that doesn't allow communication between the two prisoners before they've made their choice. Such was the first round of the Ambidex Game, although the players now know the rules and will likely be able to communicate before the next round. That doesn't mean that the rules can't change along the way and render anything they've said moot, but at least some amount of dialogue can take place.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Super Jay Mann posted:

The worst is when people not in the know make really obvious jokes that just so happen to be right-on-the-money spoilers except nobody realizes it. :v:

I realize it and have a collection of posts bookmarked so I can quote them at appropriate times.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Well, given the time of day at which updates tend to be posted, I'll probably be beaten to the punch each time. My only hope is that people will forget what they've said, particularly in terms of throwaway lines, and seeing their words quoted will surprise them.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

That's weird. Is the label on the Treatment Center door always visible in this scene? I don't remember that from when I played the game, but I probably wasn't paying much attention - I took this route fairly late in the game and was familiar with enough of the scenery to be ignoring most of it.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Bruceski posted:

I think I tried every orientation of the poster with the room before getting the right one. And for the file instead of reading the dark eyes I tried to read the red ones in a different way and stumped myself for a while.

I think I read it as "BEACONEPOHFO" or something like that, and it was pretty easy to figure out what I'd done wrong. That was, of course, after I'd made the connection between the eyes and the letters correctly and wrote down which eyes were red, not just how many, on each robot.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Added Space posted:

I wonder what natural language pundits would say about Watson, the computer that understands natural language well enough to beat the best human players at Jeopardy.

The Chinese Room argument (reversed) would ask how you know that Watson itself is producing the answers, and not some remotely-located human who can understand the questions and is somehow providing the responses. The point is, as PlaceholderPigeon says, sort of a deconstruction of the Turing Test, which asks a human to converse with one other human and one non-human intelligence, then decide which is the human. The Turing Test suggests that if the non-human intelligence is sufficiently capable of acting as a human does to fool some number of humans, then it can be considered a humanlike intelligence. The Chinese Room argument compares an intelligence (human or not) to a non-intelligence, and posits that the two are capable of providing exactly the same set of responses to a given set of stimuli. If the responses can't be distinguished in any way, then how can the observer distinguish between an intelligence and a non-intelligence?

I recall a story I read ages ago as an example of absurdism that featured a man who, among other things, had memorized the answer to every mathematical problem in existence. He couldn't actually do any math and frankly didn't understand how numbers worked, but given any problem, he could supply the correct answer. Anyone who tested him without asking how he came up with the answers would think he was a brilliant mathematician. Same principle, in the end.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

SingerOfW posted:

And this is the part I found the most unnatural-sounding. Really, is "Kingdom" the first word that comes to one's mind when hearing the phrase "Right in the middle"? Especially when it ends with "of"? Then again, this is Phi, and being unnatural is normal for her.

In Japanese, at least, China is 中国, where the first character, 中, means middle and the second one, 国, means country or kingdom. (The radical inside the box, minus the little apostrophe-looking bit, is the kanji for "king", 王.) It still makes little to no sense, but like you said, that's Phi.

My apologies if this post is just boxes for anyone.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

orenronen posted:

Except that's not what the Japanese line is about at all. Honestly, it's one of the few cases where the Japanese is much better than the translation they came up with.

506's last line in Japanese is "Chuuka, jissai ni...", "Speaking of, to tell you the truth...". Chuuka is a colloquial contraction of "tte iu ka" ("speaking of"). It's also how you say "Chinese food."

Phi's line originally goes, "Chuuka -> Chinese food -> Twice-cooked pork!" (yes, with the arrows in the text), which puts a nice cap on the food-talk joke.

I caught a bit of that when I listened to the Japanese again, but I don't think I'll ever know the language well enough to pick up on details like these. Thanks for the correction.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Wolpertinger posted:

This is actually a surprisingly efficient way to break the game entirely in an instant - even if you and your match-ups survived, you could do a single AB game, tops - after that, you'd have randomized bracelets and your pairs would be most likely all trapped forever between the primary and the secondary doors forever, so everyone left would die when you needed to enter a chromatic door again.

The bracelets that the dead people were wearing would come off, and you'd be able to collect them and distribute them as necessary so the survivors could go through doors. There would just be a lot of automatic alliances because so few people would be voting.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Ometeotl posted:

Phi's plan was pretty clever, but it would have been better if she made K promise to outside as well, as then he would default to Ally and there's no worries that he'll betray her.

The timing would be pretty tight - once she's in the room, she has no way to stop him going into his own room. I doubt Dio would let K in, but then, like Dio says, he's unlikely to be a physical match for someone of K's stature.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Instant Grat posted:

I understood that line to mean that, with 5 BP, betraying won't help him get out any quicker - 2 rounds of ally/ally and he'll be out, and it's the same for Luna. Betrayal will only serve to cause people to distrust him - ally/ally or betray/ally, he's still one round away from the magic 9.

I'm pretty sure this is what he meant - he has to wait until next round to escape even if he gets the extra 1 BP from betraying, so there's no logical point to doing it. It sort of avoids him stating his actual opinion on the matter, but then, we as the players are controlling his actions - the game could make him totally gung-ho "Ally" and we tap "Betray", and that's that.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Ometeotl posted:

If K is going to Ally, he has no reason to push past Sigma and Dio, as he's going to default to that anyway, and it only makes him look untrustworthy, even if he's still going to Ally. If he's going to betray, then...not having him stay outside doesn't change anything. He went in the room, so he can still betray. At the very least, making him promise to stay outside at least gives the possibility that Dio and Sigma could keep him contained for just long enough for him to default to Ally and be unable to betray.

Even if Sigma and Dio together can match K's strength, and that's no guarantee (who knows what superhuman technology that suit might contain?), that requires Sigma to wait outside the room, which he hasn't agreed to do - and also tips Dio off that Phi doesn't plan to let him into the AB Room with her, which you might have noticed he wasn't too thrilled about. She had to act quickly to catch him by surprise - asking him to wait outside the room would probably have sent HIM running straight for the door to lock her out. It may make sense if you ignore every other person aside from Phi and K, but that's a lot of factors to ignore.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Fedule posted:

I guess at some point I'm going to have to divulge how the endings all break down, but let's just say that you and I are working off of different interpretations of "all the endings".

In either case, I plan to follow the votes and see where that takes us. I imagine we're going to see the vast majority of the game's content without me having to force any decisions.

I rather assumed it was always going to be votes all the way at least until the final ending, and then maybe just a showcase of the optional endings we missed, one update per. I just didn't want to be the first one in the thread to say anything about how that works.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Male Man posted:

Sure, but is K under the armor?

Um... pay no attention to the man behind the curtain with the remote control and the microphone with the attached voice modulator! I am the great and powerful K!

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

curiousCat posted:

I feel like the whole Zero Escape series could be subtitled "Cliffhangers: The Game(s)".

That's really only this presentation, though. In the actual game, at the end of most of these updates, you tap the screen and move on to the start of the next one with almost no pause. Any cliffhangers are those you manufacture. Not that the game presents many GOOD stopping points, but if you want to know what happens next, you just read on.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Bifauxnen posted:

The "she" who knows everything could also be Luna, just to rub salt in the wound.

Or Alice, or the old woman... there are lots of "she"s who might have taken secrets to their graves. In fact, they probably ALL knew everything!

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

GTF-YM-B-AR3 - going to guess this is "Yogi Model" and "bare" is a purposeful misspelling.

Then again, if the gender designations are relevant, that doesn't fit, does it?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Shei-kun posted:

Clearly, the game won't let us choose the REAL culprit!

The answer is obviously Napoleon Bonaparte. Luna, his last descendant, has a genetic condition that just happened to finish running its course while she was being berated by Clover.

SgtSteel91 posted:

If Dio killed Luna with the injection, why leave the injection gun on the floor and take the knife? You have a much easier time to sneak up on someone and inject them with a lethal dose than stabbing them and risking a fight or getting blood on yourself.

A knife probably has a lot more lethal doses in it than a bottle of medicine.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Fedule posted:

Yeah, there seems to be some confusion about this, so let's just make this unambiguous: There are two restrictions on the number nine door:

1) Only someone with 9+ BP can open it, and
2) Anyone who goes through with less than 9 BP gets penalized.

And it only stays open for nine seconds. Once it opens, you have 90 seconds to write additional conditions for leaving, such as "The person exiting must be walking on their hands, or they'll be penalized," or "Quark do you know rabbits of death love carrots," I'm drifting, but nine is a rather important number in this series and shows up everywhere, which reminds me of something. And yes, I know just enough Japanese to know why, or at least to think I do.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Finally, I get to pull some posts out of my bookmark folder of ironic things that people have said about VLR!

evilspacehopper posted:

Well at least Dio and K are still alive, four out of nine isn't a complete disaster.

It sure wouldn't have been. Shame about that whole reality thing getting in the way.

whitehelm posted:

I assume K's armor can protect against axe strikes.

Nice assumption. I don't think it's quite right.

This has been your first post from the "VLR Irony Files" department. Thanks for predicting so unfortunately, everyone... keep it up!

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Fedule posted:

Oh, hey, you're actually doing that? I approve of this development.

The second one I quoted was actually the catalyst for the project - I thought anything THAT ironic needed to be preserved for posterity. It was actually only a few days ago that I finally put them in a folder and renamed the bookmarks for quick reference, because this moment was coming so soon.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

"mannn this is so stupid and obvious but what the hell is a bio"

It all makes sense now! Clover is a Final Fantasy character and she was trying to poison her attacker even though she was muted. A shame blood is only good for draining spells. If she'd written "osmose" it might have worked.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Battle Pigeon posted:

I do like the idea Dio being thwarted via a simple puzzle though. :v:

"Utpay the eykay in the ocklay? What the gently caress is this poo poo? Zero, you astardbay!"

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Don't you guys pay attention to only relatively recent pop culture? K is Tommy Lee Jones. He has no memory because he was hit with the neuralizer, and aliens from a locker full of marbles are responsible for everything that's happened here.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Ironic post time!

Spatula City posted:

Welp, I guess, barring a surprise appearance by the MYSTERY MURDERER, we're about to find out what K looks like under the mask.

Welp, I guess not.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Pidmon posted:

Ideally I think the 'right path' should be one of the last we hit - imagine hitting the Coffin ending in 999 as the first one in the LP, then not getting back to it for months.

I don't have to imagine. It's pretty much exactly what you'd expect - seeing an amazing and emotional story that clearly demands information that I'll find elsewhere in the game, then months of trying to find it, only discovering inferior versions of the story, and despairing until I finally find the Safe ending and the rest of the game. After yet another playthrough.

EDIT:

Fedule posted:

Oh, and I should clarify: I will be combining votes for each given point on the flowchart (so, Yellow/Cyan doors, Red/Blue doors). This is for a) the benefit of indecisive people and b) a failsafe for a few very specific circumstances.

So, if the first two options combined have the highest total, you'll pick the higher of the two?

Nidoking fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 29, 2013

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

lotus circle posted:

See this is the trick the game plays. Even if you know Luna won't betray you after seeing what happens when you ally with her, you need to betray her at some point to get full completion. It's even worse when you have a vita and you want that drat platinum trophy. :smith:

I think it's probably safe to say that the options to betray Luna were the very last I chose - if there was any other option available, I picked that one first. I just wasn't capable of doing it until I had no other choice to proceed, and still felt horrible about it. And she's just a character in a game.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

whitehelm posted:

This seems like it gives an unfair advantage to the door choices. All those Cyan votes would count for Yellow even if the people voting for Cyan would really not want to go through Yellow.

An average of the two choices would probably solve all the problems - if one choice is exceedingly popular, it will win, and if they're all about even, the door choices won't win simply by virtue of being paired. No pun implied.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I think the game is a lot more fun if you don't look at the flowchart as a way of charting future paths, but ignore the blank boxes entirely and just focus on the choices you've made and the ones you haven't tried yet. In fact, I wouldn't look at the flowchart at all except if you're playing the game, and only as necessary to use the feature to return to a choice or bookmark. It's like looking at the back of a Doctor Who DVD, or a table of contents, to see how much more story there is left and use that to determine whether the current plan by the good guys is going to work, or they'll have to try something else in the next episode.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I also took this door first when I played the game, and since it was my first puzzle room aside from the AB room, I hadn't yet figured out the pattern of how the optional solutions tend to relate to the mandatory solutions - I thought I had to come up with a cogent five-letter word that would give me the second combination to the drawer rather than the other way around. I also tried various methods of relating the squares on the sheet to the sliding puzzle, but "count the symbols in the marked squares, without regard to the actual marks" didn't occur to me until I'd gone through several more complete paths. Instead, I wrote down the 5x5 grid of letters in the notepad and carried it with me, planning to return to this room every so often to try more words if any occurred to me. It was a very enlightening experience, even though I never did guess what the word would be, and finally hit upon the correct solution through sheer force of running out of any other ideas that were even remotely credible.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Ah, everybody loves trying to predict the future. Remember when you said this?

Changamer posted:

Voting ally because Tenmyouji voted ally his first ambidex game, so I doubt he'll betray us.

Doubting is how you lose your BP in this game.

Speedball posted:

In the last timeline Tenmyouji voted betray simply to get Quark more points. If we don't have to worry about that this time then it's safer to assume he'll ally with us, I think.

You have a strange definition of "safer", then.

Speedball posted:

Goddamn it Tenmyoji!

Oh... you already noticed. Double irony!

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

If this path is like the last route we took, I'm guessing

I have no idea how you came to this conclusion from the information presented in the thread.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

CottonWolf posted:

But so does a lowercase Sigma. :tinfoil:

But names are proper nouns and would start with, or in this case, consist of in their entirety, uppercase letters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

The REASON Radical-6 is "radical" is that it actually spreads better over longer distances. Being close to the carrier means that the virus doesn't have time to adjust to the atmosphere before entering the new host's body and dies due to the viruses already inside. Am I the only one who learned ANYTHING from War of the Worlds? (The video game version, with Nolan North narrating and Gary Coleman as the leader of the world that was at war with the other world.)

• Locked thread