Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

Fedule posted:

Like hell. This poo poo is continuing.

Typo there, it should say "confusing." And he's right: this version of the Nonary Game seems to be a lot more complicated than the one in 999, where you just had to progress through numbered rooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
I'm pretty confident that choosing Ally won't hurt us in this case. What's going to be interesting is to see who inevitably chooses to Betray, and what the emotional fallout will be, when the results are announced and the band gets back together.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

It seems like the safest option for the next round of Chromatic Doors is to make sure that Luna pairs up with Dio and Quark. Those two seem like the least trustworthy of the bunch, and Luna is the only solo who will be safe if she's betrayed. With any luck Clover and K will play nice next round, and our solo buddy will trust us after we allied with Luna.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Yeah Bro posted:

Seriously? The safest choice is to keep teaming up with Luna, because the others will die if they ally and get betrayed. If we go with Tenmyouji or Alice, they'd probably betray us just to make sure they don't die; Luna is the only safe choice if we want to get 9 BP. Course, we'll probably get a bad ending for not saving everyone, but at least 3 people'd make it out fine.

I didn't mean safest for us, I meant safest in terms of keeping everybody alive. It's definitely a bigger risk for us to pair up with someone with 1 BP, but the net gain for the entire group will likely be bigger if we do.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

I'm guessing that the "auto-ally" rule for those who don't vote will have to change for the next rounds (auto-betray, perhaps?) since the players know what ally means now. Otherwise, they could just agree as a group to not play the AB game at all. Everyone stays out of the rooms, everyone allies, everyone gets 2 points risk-free.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

An auto-betray default seems pointless. I mean, if it says something like "If no votes are registered, everyone will auto-betray" then everyone will either vote normally, or just pick betray to avoid losing points.

Auto-ally has a far greater risk.

What I mean is, unless the rules change, there's nothing stopping everyone from just hanging out together outside the AB rooms until time runs out. If not participating sets your vote to ally, then everyone will be guaranteed to get 2 points.

The only risk at that point is whether nobody will go through the number 9 door until everyone gets 9 BP.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Man, Akihiko Dio sure sounds like a bad liar. The way he responds, either too slowly or too fast, really makes it seem that he's hiding something. Of course, everyone else is hiding stuff as well. It's not going to be easy to trust and be trusted by everyone else.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

I assume it's just another anagram, with "memento mori" and "nine" thrown in for flavor.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

It's gotta be K. Clover yells at Luna and strikes her, knocking her out. She runs away, and Dio comes in. He sees Luna slumped over and checks her condition, but hears K coming and runs. Finally K shows up and stays for a long time. Too long to just be trying to revive Luna. The way I see it, he uses the time to kill her and fabricate a story, and maybe manipulate the crime scene. The fact that he calmly looks at his watch indicates that he's not distressed by Luna's death and that he was waiting for the right moment to leave and tell the others.

Dio just smells like a red herring to me, given how heavy-handed the game has been about his attitude, and Clover just doesn't seem likely (although since this seems to be a bad ending path, anything goes).

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Penakoto posted:

Luckily for Sigma, the login + password is actually...

Login: ththththt
Password Hthththth

What are the odds!

But GIF-Sigma is typing y7y7y7y7y7y7y7 :v:

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Happy New Year, thread!

I haven't followed this since around its start in... mid-2013 :stare:

Played through the game for the first time over Christmas, and I've gone through the whole thread this weekend to see everyone else's reactions. Holy crap was I wrong in basically all my posts.

Glad that things are still going strong!

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Captain Bravo posted:

Alright, so I've held off on posting my theory as to what's going on, but I feel that the letter seals the deal. The big question, in my mind, is Who is Tenmyoji? It eventually became obvious that he was one of the previous Nonary Game participants, and there were signs heavily pointing towards Junpei... but the letter pretty much confims that it's actually Santa.

Why Santa? For one, it has to be either Santa or Junpei, because the dead lady is Akane. The letter confirms that Quark did not grow up with a Grandma and a Grandpa, Tenmyoji was his only parent. Which means that Tenmyoji's reaction to the dead woman's corpse is because she's the woman he spent his life pursuing until he met Quark.

"Now Captain Bravo," you say, "Wouldn't that imply that Tenmyoji is Junpei? After all, Akane and Santa both escaped at the end of 999." But the fact is, we don't know what actually happened after 999. However, there is one thing we do know.

Junpei knows Alice. He was in the car that picked her up, and he was debriefed at HQ, he knows that she's not All-Ice. Santa doesn't. Tenmyoji confronted Alice about Ice-9 after he realized she had been at the last Nonary game. Santa was privy to the conversations about the frozen corpse and Ice-9. Santa did not meet, or talk to, Alice. So from his perspective, she may very well be that unfrozen egyptian princess. He confronts her with this, claiming that Clover told him, but even leaving aside the fact that Clover had no reason to tell Tenmyoji about the Ice-9 mystery if Ten was actually Junpei he would have known that it was false, and would have no reason to accuse her of it.

And that brings us to the final point, which is that Santa adopts Quark to atone for his inability to protect his sister. Remember, he talked a lot about how he was her Santa Claus, that's where he got his friggin' nickname from. He was unable to save her in the first Nonary game, Junpei had to do that. He was just an accomplice in the second Nonary game, she ran that whole deal. And, if we take my above assumption as correct, she split off from him some time afterwards and he was again alone, unable to protect her as he desperately wished to. Then, he stumbled across Quark, and gets a second chance to be the caretaker he so desperately wished to be. Junpei had no similar compulsion to be a protector, or even if he did it was nowhere near as powerful as Santa's.

So if Akane is the dead woman, how did she end up there? Simple: She's Zero. Everyone keeps saying that Zero Jr. confirmed Zero was a member of the nine participants, but Zero Jr. was addressing everyone in the room. Akane was hiding inside one of the AB rooms. Akane only dies if Sigma and Phi don't pick Alice. What's more, when that happens, the rooms don't shift, implying that whoever killed Akane also moved the rooms around to hide the evidence. That seems like it would imply Alice is the killer, but Alice and Clover both seem in the dark as to who Zero is. What's more, Alice goes over to pick up the blood knife and inspect it, if she stabbed Akane she would have just kept it. No, the reason why choosing Alice results in Akane dying is simple: Without Alice to distract Clover, K cannot sneak away to murder Akane.

Now, again, I know that the hologram in the Director's room seems to implicate Zero as a male. But don't forget, this exact same thing happened in the last game. Guy, in the head honcho's office, fingered as Zero, but actually a Red Herring. What's more, the hologram gives us a disarm code for a bomb. But Zero didn't set the bombs, Dio did. And we know Dio isn't Zero, because he was sent to infiltrate the Nonary game, he wasn't in charge of it. So then who is the man in the hologram? Simple, he's K. Who is loving Junpei.

:psyboom:

K and Akane set the whole thing up. K is the man in the hologram, giving false hints to throw Santa off the scent. Akane doesn't want Santa to find her because she ran off with Junpei to have a life together. Junpei is playing the same role Santa was in the last game, the infiltrator and accomplice who people assume is Zero until the final twist. The only problem is, K actually does have amnesia, meaning he doesn't remember setting this whole thing up with Akane. So when he is left alone by Clover, and explores the AB rooms by opening the top seals, he accidentally confronts Akane and murders her before she can explain. He then moves the rooms to cover up the fact that she is killed, something that doesn't happen in the route where she doesn't die.

So why the Nonary game to begin with? What even is the purpose here? Simple, the purpose is to defuse the bombs. Akane and Junpei were living in the facility, working to create the cure for the virus. Dio breaks in to learn what he can, and then blow it to hell and back. Akane and Junpei realize that the only way to save the facility, and the last hope for humanity, is to run another Nonary game and depend on espers to figure it out. They had already captured Clover, Alice, and Sigma years ago to keep in cold storage as esper aces-in-the-hole. They just had to put Clover into a similar situation so her powers would be able to save the day. The thing they didn't bank on is Clover's powers being subsumed by Sigma. So Junpei would have his memories wiped, to be in the same situation, doubling their chances of success. They contacted Santa, and convinced him that if he signed up and didn't spill the beans they would guarantee a good life and a cure for Quark, so he jumped at the chance. Dio was already in the facility, they just had to knock his rear end out, and that brought them to 7. They tapped a medical researcher who was desperate for a cure, Luna, and constructed the final member as their failsafe, Phi.

Junpei recorded a message with the only password they had been able to deduce, Bomb #1, then locked himself in the suit and did whatever bullshit was required to give him Amnesia. Akane knocks out Dio, brings in Tenmyoji, Quark, and Luna, activates Phi, and defrosts Sigma, Clover, and Alice. Phi and Zero are instructed that no matter what, they must always play their part to the hilt. The danger must be real, to activate the latent esper powers in Sigma, Junpei, and Clover. Even if their actions or inactions doom everyone, they must remain hopeful that one of the other timelines will receive the information needed to succeed. Phi drags everyone into their cells, sits down beside Sigma, and the game begins...

This is wonderful. I hope you save this, so once this is all over you can go back and see what you got right and where you were way off.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

That also happens before the first (non-tutorial) mission in Deus Ex: Human Revolution. You do get one warning, but if you dick around too long, the hostages in the building you're infiltrating get executed.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Blinus posted:

I recall you being one of the sole voices of reason in that LP chat. I don't wanna seem rude to SGF or the chatgoers, but I wasn't the biggest fan of that LP. SGF has done much better LPs, and the chat... I dunno, all but a few of the chat participants seemed determined to find things to hate about the game, and not in a 'we mock because we love' good-natured kind of way, it was more of an outright holier-than-thou 'we hate this game' kind of attitude. Or at least it came across that way to me.

You're not wrong. I looked that up after finishing the game, as I'd seen some recommendations in this thread. It was awful; SGF's commentary was often sarcastic and bored, and the chat was aggressively hostile. I had to quit before the end, it was that bad.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

If anyone has a hankering for more VLR while we wait for Fedule, I recommend checking out the LP on youtube by dragoneye13. The guy does a good job talking about his thoughts and theories on the game, and most importantly, does not do a voice for Sigma or the narration. It's frankly criminal how few views he's gotten, so definitely check him out (if you don't mind spoiling yourself that is - as I post this, he's very near the end of the game).

First video is here, though he also did a part 0 recap of 999.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Was going to post this earlier but I forgot.

Watching Jeopardy this past week, there were not one, but two clues that had information referenced in 999. July 4th's Daily Double was "The neurological condition prosopagnosia is often called this blindness, for what isn't recognized" (this stumped the player). The next day saw the clue "The leaves of this good luck item are said to represent faith, hope, love & luck."

Just a random coincidence, but I thought that was neat.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Been a while since I've had a chance to participate in a vote! At least this time around the correct choice is pretty obvious.

it's betray

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Thank you, Fedule. I bought this game years ago because of this LP, and it was well worth it.

Congratulations on completing this titanic undertaking.

• Locked thread