Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

It's probably best not to dwell on Alice's outfit, but her breastplate seems to cover the exact area that Lotus's bustier didn't, and I'll bet that was deliberate. Also, now I understand why Fedule was worried about .gif compression in the sandcastle. It makes Alice look like she has plaque psoriasis, or maybe freezer-burn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

You guys make a strong argument for Luna/magenta, but I don't know if the interior room's color scheme matches its door, and cyan is the least headache-inducing of the choices presented.

Okay. Magenta.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Now I understand why that first choice was so important. Until the body was discovered, no one had a good reason to betray anyone else. However, Tenmyouji's reaction makes it seem like he knew the dead woman, and he has no reason not to suspect Clover/K since her body was found in their AB room.

Since we picked magenta, Tenmyouji is pitted against Dio/Quark; Tenmyouji and Quark like each other and Dio doesn't seem like he'd betray the old man out of sheer spite. If we'd picked yellow, I don't know how we'd react to Tenmyouji but he probably wouldn't hate us enough to betray us. If we'd picked Cyan, though, that would have forced a confrontation between Tenmyouji and Clover/K, Tenmyouji would have had every reason to betray them, and it would be hard to prevent a cascade of betrayals from then on.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I think a 1BP vs 1BP scenario is pretty much setting up both parties to betray no matter what.

Then again, doing it that way means you would stay at 1 BP forever, meaning you never have a chance to escape. If you betray, it's a 50/50 chance between dying slowly or making yourself an even bigger target for future betrayals; if you ally, you either die in nine minutes or gain 2 points and a friend. So it comes down to individual preference.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

NextTime000 posted:

so really the question is not who are we going to pair up with to ally/betray, but dynamics of the other 2 groups...

Yellow pair: Phi, who wanted to betray Luna, and Dio, who may have lied to and subsequently badmouthed a little kid.
Magenta pair: Tenmyouji, who's hurting, and Quark, who may or may not have sold out his own grandfather and lied to his face.
All of the solos: gained points in the last round, can afford to lose some in this one

No matter who we pick or how we handle the next AB vote, we can't possibly reach 9 points on the next round, but Clover, K, Dio or Quark can.

Expanding on what Shear Modulus and ApplesandOranges said:

If we pick Clover or K, there's a decent chance that Alice will die in the next round, and I don't want to test the limits of what Zero meant by "shared fate." Even if our solo doesn't betray, whoever has 6 points and gets Luna as a solo is all but guaranteed to hit the magic number, and I don't trust Dio or Quark to stick around and wait for the rest of us to earn our 9 points.

Green (Luna) seems like the safe choice. For everyone with five points, regardless of whether they betray or ally, they will need at least two more rounds to reach 9, so the smart choice is to stick together as much as possible and ally-ally. Picking Luna also means that all of the people with 6 points are pitted against each other, locking them into an almost guaranteed betray-betray situation and thus maintaining the status quo for one more round.

On the other hand, picking red means we get Alice and Clover together, which might give us some more insight into the Nonary Game. And then we can die horribly and start over.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Have you all forgotten already? The first time they exited the AB rooms, we established that Phi and K are both Jumpy. :v:

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

whitehelm posted:

I support this plan. Let's hang out with as many different people as possible.

We'll be going through this more than once, right? So we should get to spend time with everyone eventually. I picked the one that I think would make the most sense from Sigma's point of view.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

xxlicious posted:

There's no question that everyone will turn out to be plot-relevant, what with K's suspicious amnesia (possibly used to containment suit and thus a survivor of the epidemic), and Tenmyouji's obvious connection to the corpse (maybe his wife?), but I guess I was thinking more of following up plot questions from 999, haha.

Looking at the update before last, Quark claims not to know who the dead woman is; but Tenmyouji definitely seems to know both her and Quark. So either Tenmyouji wasn't that close to her (maybe they were co-workers or old friends), or Quark is lying. Psychic flashes or no, I trust that kid less and less.

The way I interpret Quark's trance (assuming he isn't faking it) is that Zero III lied about the function of the bracelets and the goal of the game. Going through the 9 door won't accomplish anything; getting everyone to 0 points (which doesn't actually result in death) is the only way to win.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Wow, I didn't think we'd get the key to K's neck-hole so soon. So if we'd gone with Clover instead of Luna, K would have gone through this room, and probably would have escaped from his suit by now. (Assuming that's what the key does.)

GeneralYeti posted:

Speaking of Sigma being a sleaze, how about Alice and the doctor's coat? Luna I might be able to understand (especially with her 'falling for you all over again' crap) but Alice was just out of left field.

The way she talks is at least consistent with the way she dresses. I think she's not after Sigma specifically, but just habitually flirts with everyone.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Pierzak posted:

That's what I was talking about. Is he going to check each and every key in his head, possibly risking permanent injury (who knows, if the suit was made to trap the occupant it may be secured - turn left, then right, it opens, any other combination fries your brain :tinfoil:

When I've seen similar locks in real life, they aren't that sophisticated. It's usually a simple electronic switch, where you can only insert the key one way and rotate it 90 degrees. This rotates a contact to either complete or break a single circuit.

It's hard to tell the relative size of things, but the shaft of that key looks awfully long to me. Like, if K is a man in a suit, fully inserting that key would wedge it partway into his medula oblongata. If he's a robot, on the other hand... :tinfoil:

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

The fact that G-OLM's voice actor is uncredited makes me think it's one of the credited voice actors playing a second role. I can't prove anything, and I'm afraid of spoiling myself if I dig any deeper, but my money is on J.B. Blanc, the voice of Tenmyouji. He grew up in Yorkshire and he plays a lot of brash, working-class characters, but I haven't found an example of him doing a cockney accent specifically.

Golem's information about the mainframe makes me wonder about Zero. Zero III asserts that he was programmed by someone else, and the other characters appear to be operating on the assumption that the real Zero is human, but what if that's not the case? What if Zero III is an AI programmed by another AI, who in turn was programmed by someone who may not even be alive anymore? What if it's robots all the way down?

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

But NONE of the English voice actors are credited. That's the problem.

Somehow I missed that. In any event, unless G-OLM has more lines elsewhere, I think it makes sense for this minor character to be a secondary role for one of the known voice actors.

Or Nolan North.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

THE THRONE IS MINE, MOTION FINAL THEME TUNE.
IF I MENTION THE SLAIN HOME TEE, TURN THEM ON.
THIS ONE TIME IN ROME, NO THIN METHANE FLUTE.
IN TIME LUNA TRIES THE THIEF, ONE MOMENT HON.

If there's a character name in that anagram, it can only be Luna; everyone else is missing at least one letter.

Fake edit:
SMOOTH INFINITE LUNA, THE TEEN MIME HORNET.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Clover seems the most likely out of the three options presented. Last time we saw her, she was convinced that she'd found hard evidence pointing to the identity of (one of) the mastermind(s)-- evidence which, Phi and Sigma discovered, appears to point to Luna but can be explained away. Clover confronts Luna, Luna doesn't know what Clover is talking about, things escalate, Clover (accidentally?) kills Luna and flees the scene. Dio is the first to discover Luna's corpse, takes something from the scene (not her bracelet, possibly the knife), and tries to hide his involvement. K shows up and does exactly what he later said he did.

I say "out of the three options presented" because Quark is still my prime suspect. As the smallest person in the group, he'd have an easier time staying in the cameras' blind spots. We know from Tenmyouji that Quark has some kind of significance to the kidnappers. When Quark said, prior to his disappearance, "We have to die here... All of us...", he could very well have been stating his intention to kill everyone. Alice and the old woman both died from a single frontal stab wound, indicating that they saw their killer and yet made no attempt to flee or defend themselves. Out of this group, who but Quark could have that kind of effect on a person?

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

All we're missing is a submarine.

Poulpe posted:

Why is Dio's bracelet still on? Isn't it supposed to fall off after you've died?
HE'S FAKING! BE CAREFUL SIGMA AND PHI! :tinfoil:

He's probably not faking, but I don't think he's clinically dead, either. Assuming he didn't die from shock, he could live for several hours with an abdominal wound like that. If he doesn't go septic and does get medical attention pretty soon, he could pull through. :unsmith:

But he'll probably live just long enough to deliver a cryptic hint before Quark finishes everyone off.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

saihate posted:

Is it possible to make an avatar sized version of the ththththth one? I can't stop laughing at it. It's awesome.

I can't remember if the maximum length of a side is 125 or 150 pixels, so I erred on the side of caution. Both versions are under 20k.

Scaled:

Cropped, then scaled, to preserve a little more detail:

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Theoretically, it's impossible to observe a quark directly. In the interest of scientific advancement, we owe it to ourselves to at least try.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Sigma's outfit has too many patches and emblems for a typical mechanic's uniform. It looks more like something a stock car racing driver or an astronaut would wear; although I think those uniforms typically have long sleeves for practical reasons.

Anyway, this series of articles (linked in the DR1 thread) is really good at explaining the whys and hows of peculiar Japanese fashion trends.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

SgtSteel91 posted:

But then he got better? After that episode, he was able to perceive time just fine.

You know those people who get the flu, start to feel a little better after a day, think they're over it, and come back to the office to infect everyone? Sigma's like that. Maybe he's even been infected all along, and his brain was just better able to cope with the time dilation than Quark's.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Sure, sure, the cats are getting fat off of the rats that are eating the corpses. It's not like domestic cats commonly eat parts of their late owners' faces or anything. Or maybe the food chain has something to do with the way Radical-6 spreads-- like, maybe cats can get it but rodents and birds can't. Maybe Zero III really is a rabbit. :tinfoil:

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Given the way they've acted toward each other, and the fact that Clover spent her dying moments in the last timeline writing "dio" in blood on her leg, it seems like there's some history between them. I get the sense that one is an undercover investigator who has been tracking the other for some time, but whether it's Dio pursuing Clover because of her involvement in the nonary game, or Clover and Alice hunting Dio because of something else, I don't know.

In any event, Sigma was stupid to give a Rex vial to Dio without consulting us, so I cast a punitive vote for Ally.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

That's a weird place to put a cliffhanger, unless Zero was bluffing about the penalty. I know I'm grasping at straws here, but we've yet to see any confirmed deaths due to running out of points.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Onmi posted:

Well I can think of a pretty radical way to make it so we don't die. unfortunately the Axe is in the rec-room.

Otherwise, you know... we could just chop our arm off before the second injection. Bleed like a stuck pig, but at least we would only probably die instead of definitely die.

EDIT: Maybe K could pull a Fezzik and rip our arm off.

I don't know how long it would take to get from the warehouse to the infirmary, but Luna is still alive and they do have access to modern medical equipment and supplies. Assuming Sigma doesn't die of shock (and, hey, he's already anesthetized), his chances of surviving an amputation are pretty good. Or they could wait until the paralytic kicks in, and put Sigma on a ventilator (and/or take turns performing CPR on him) until it wears off. Or they could stop his heart just long enough to make the bracelet fall off, then try to revive him-- it's extremely risky, but under the circumstances...

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Hahahahahaha...

I guess this means K won't be coming back with help; though there could be any number of reasons for that and it's not necessarily his fault.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I remember in 999, I thought Santa would be evil or at least extremely difficult to deal with because he swore a lot and seemed like he'd be a jerk. And then he turned out to be one of the coolest guys in the game.

The first thing I ever saw of 999 was an out-of-context screenshot of Snake attacking Ace in the furnace. You can imagine how that affected my perception of those two characters.

In this game so far, it's turned out that Luna was secretly innocent and nice, and Dio was secretly selfish and evil. Does anyone still think that K isn't secretly a robot?

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Zoe posted:

So at some point in an alternate reality/the past/the future, Alice gets stabbed while outside on the grass, and Phi and Sigma get blown up while on the moon. Am I following that right?

The grass could be in some kind of indoor arboretum (I think there are still rooms we haven't seen?), and unless the moon has a moon or the Earth is completely dry and defoliated, that explosion doesn't take place on our moon. But, other than that...

I've been looking at that unofficial flowchart from earlier in the thread, and considering the first two murders in light of who was with us when they happened. It seems that the old woman only dies (or at least, only has her body dumped in Luna's elevator which is subsequently moved to the other end) if we don't go with Alice in the first round. This would point to Alice as the killer, and so it would seem to follow that Tenmyouji killed Alice out of revenge. However, in the timeline where we took the red door with Dio and Clover, Alice was forced to team with Tenmyouji after he'd seen the corpse, and she wasn't killed. This casts suspicion on Dio and Clover, who were with us during the time Alice would have died.

For Alice's death, then, Dio is the most obvious suspect, but only because he is Dio. In the timeline where Alice died, Dio didn't really have anything to do with Alice: he was with Tenmyouji and Quark in the first round, Phi and K in the second. Clover, however, was with Alice and K in the first round of that game, and then there's the preexisting working relationship between them. So while Dio is the most suspicious (besides Quark :v:), I think Clover is worth considering at least until we see how this timeline pans out.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Kaja Rainbow posted:

Did you forget how she basically went all "I'll kill whoever killed Alice!" flipout?

Acting!

But really, I'm just spitballing ideas because it's fun. I think it's going to be a long time before everyone's motives become completely clear.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I hope it doesn't work like that. Where's the causality? How would Sigma's choice change the results in another booth when they can't see Sigma's choice. And don't loving say "morphogenic field", because that's kinda lame. I'd much rather have the decisions of people in the booths made based on the cumulative events of the current path.

If Zero is one of the players, I assume he or she has a way to keep track of the other players' votes, and will adjust his or her vote to stay alive (not necessarily to gain points). But really, in a game with the plague from The Happening and Cockney androids, the possible inclusion of the morphogenetic field isn't that far-fetched.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

namesake posted:

:catdrugs: theory: We've seen a landscape shot of something exploding apparently on the moon and have just seen a fake sky. What if the complex is actually on earth and contained in a even larger complex made to look like they're on the moon?

You mean this shot?

The only "evidence" that they're on the moon is that we've seen a couple of characters jump really high.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

HiKaizer posted:

I don't know if it is notable or not, but the one thing that is really weird about this shot is its lack of stars. If it was day time on Earth somewhere you would expect the sky to be brighter, but there aren't any stars at all. Regardless of whether it was on the moon or on the Earth at night you would expect to see some if you could see the moon or Earth like that.

That's a side-effect of the way I made that picture (combining the bottom few layers of an optimized animated GIF to make a still frame). This is Fedule's original, with a handful of stars near the moon:

I hope this hasn't already been talked to death, but I looked at the past escape sequences and it seems like the rooms fit into three categories:

Rooms with neither a lion nor a sun: Gaulem Bay, Infirmary, Crew Quarters

Rooms with a lion and a sun as separate objects: Lounge, Garden

Rooms with a lion eating the sun: Security, Laboratory

I'm sure this has something to do with the password in the Director's Office, but I don't know what.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Bruceski posted:

It's not eating the sun on the mural, but when night falls the sun is lowered into the lion's mouth.

I somehow missed that completely.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

whitehelm posted:

There was only one extra empty vial and it was already in the machine. They don't have any others to use (or at least don't know where they are).

As long as they don't break either vial, they could just inject one person at a time and keep re-filling that vial from the original. Of course, if the explosion breaks either or both of the vials, the point is moot.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Okay, wait. Have we actually seen the auto-ally rule in action before now? It's been a while, but I think every other time someone was incapacitated during an AB game, they were part of a pair or we hit a plot lock before the actual vote. Could Zero III have lied about that rule?

Alternately, the old lady/bomber is still at large. Maybe she killed Alice, took her bracelet and card, and voted in her absence. I have no idea why.

(I voted to betray, incidentally.)

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

At least Dio's fun in his dickery.

Such a merry funster, withholding medicine from a dying child...

I dislike Sigma because he's so dumb. Seeing Alice get the best of him by doing exactly what everyone expects her to do is hilarious.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

whitehelm posted:

Sigma's moonwalk was terrible though. Maybe that's evidence against the Moon Theory.

Terrible in a very specific way. When most people try and fail to moonwalk, they just shuffle backwards. Sigma manages to slide forward without even knowing that he's doing it. His moonwalk is so dorky it wraps back around to smooth.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

W.T. Fits posted:

The good news here is that we don't have the option of Betraying Luna in Round 2 on this route; even better, we have the chance to Betray Clover instead! :buddy:

I'm hoping that leads to a mutual betrayal. If Clover allies, Sigma will have 9 points, which will probably lead to a plot lock or game over. But if she betrays again, we get to keep playing and see the fallout between Clover and Alice.

Assuming, of course, that Quark doesn't go on another killing spree before it's time to vote.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Bruceski posted:

You pretty much need a perfect total lunar eclipse for a red moon, otherwise the spillover white light from the sun drowns out the color.

What if the nineth lion ate the sun?

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Except we had that one path where Sigma showed Radical-6 symptoms toward the end, meaning he didn't have it before then and he would have noticed if all of the others did. Unless that was the point where he caught some advanced form of the disease: Radical-36, which is 6, which is 9 upside-down, which is the number of lives a cat has.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

That just means we get to be the first victims in Quark's killing spree.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Oraculum Animi posted:

I picked betray just to get it over with. It's an option I'm assuming we're going to pick and it might as well be done with sooner than later.

I picked Ally, fully expecting Ten to up and murder us for reasons that don't become apparent until some distance down the Betray path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Bruceski posted:

Could be an old Dio too. The characters get good defining props (clothes, hair, et cetera) which is a mainstay of the anime/manga style, but aside from some outliers (Seven from 999, Alice) the bodies are rather similar. Remove the hair and clothes and Luna/Phi/Clover would look the same too.

Maybe Zero Sr. is simultaneously Snake and Dio, in the sense that Dio is a clone of Brother and both/all three characters have similar facial structure, hair, and clothes. If Brother is Clover's brother, it makes sense for her to be the one investigating the Myrmidons even though she seems to be really bad at it. Of course, if Brother is Zero Sr., it's unclear why he would use his organization to try to sabotage the Nonary Game that he set up. Maybe the game got hijacked by Zero III and Dio is a counter-counter-agent, who knows?

• Locked thread