Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Fedule didn't do the last game. That was Dragonatrix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

This is what happens when you don't read the OP.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

legoman727 posted:

...Okay, Clover, what the HELL happened to your outfit? You are not Yoko from Gurren Laggen, stop it.

And I know we had this discussion in the 999 thread, but can we assume that Alice is the mummy from the end?

You're free to assume whatever you want, bro. v:v:v

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Luna looks more like an Audino to me than June.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Jeek posted:

Have you tried walking in a desert donning Alice's clothing?

What does that have to do with anything?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Jeek posted:

It is not something you want to wear in a desert. This implies that Alice does not intend to be in the desert in the end of 999, i.e. she escapes VLR and runs right into the 999 survivor's jeep.

....No, you've lost me. Besides, Jay Mann had a good point. This is already established to be a year after 999.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Fedule posted:

(contrast: the guy who thought a certain detail was raised in 999 and consequently posted a late-game spoiler in this thread for four minutes))

In his defense, the exact same spoiler was blatanly on 999's Wikipedia page for some time until recently.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

quote:

Do these really have to be gifs? There's really no motion other than the marker at the end.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Shear Modulus posted:

I'm listening to the Japanese voicing for the first time, and I can't help but notice that pretty much all of the English writing and proper nouns ("Ambidex Room," "Pair," "Solo," "Nonary Game: Ambidex Edition," "Two Milkmen Go Comedy!") is still rendered and spoken by the characters in English. Speaking as someone who has no real familiarity with Japanese language media, is this common? Is the audience expected to know enough English to be able to follow along with what the phrases mean and the characters rearranging the letters?

Also, wow, Tenmyouji sounds totally different in the Japanese voices. Instead of a grumpy old dude he sounds like a doddering senior citizen.

Yeah, usually proper nouns and special terms in stories like these are in English and it's fine. You see it a lot in stuff like anime or tokusatsu. Most Japanese people know more English than you think.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Zyla posted:

June and Moon are common rhyming words, and Luna is the diminuative of Lunar, which refers to the Moon.

I don't think this is valid because her codename wasn't June in the Japanese.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They....probably called the doll Murasaki in the Japanese? v:v:v I think you're kinda overselling this.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Zandar posted:

Anyway, I guess the bracelet numbers are only relevant to the exit this time. The question still remains, how exactly do BP work? There are only six Ambidex Rooms; if they gave 1 BP each, one person would have to get all the keycards to get to 9, which seems unlikely. Do they give more, or is there some way to transfer points (and if so, can it be done unwillingly)?

This will be explained in full when the time comes.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

VagueRant posted:

Maybe it was stupid to hope that the game would be a little less crazy and less anime than 999?

I can tell you that it absolutely was. I have no idea why you would expect anything otherwise.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

A white rabbit is urging us on into the unknown. In this situation, we should go ask Alice.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Kinfolk910 posted:

Further notes: I've done the prisoners dilemma before. I managed to derail it with logic and the words "I know where you live." Then again I was also voted "Most likely to snap and murder someone."

I'm sure this is completely true and not at all obnoxious Troper Tales BS.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Rabbits eat carrots. :colbert:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Sytakan posted:

Something that's been bothering me for a while now:

It can't be that obvious. I wonder if this is intentional?

You're right. Only one person ever has put their hand on their chin in thought.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Sytakan posted:

Well it's either that, or they do that crazy cliche dream-thing where the masked stranger removes the mask and turns out to be you all along!

I'm sorry, but I honestly don't understand why these are the only two options.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

njsykora posted:

We were all in the same boat there.

No we weren't, we were in Nevada.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

RoeCocoa posted:

The fact that G-OLM's voice actor is uncredited makes me think it's one of the credited voice actors playing a second role. I can't prove anything, and I'm afraid of spoiling myself if I dig any deeper, but my money is on J.B. Blanc, the voice of Tenmyouji. He grew up in Yorkshire and he plays a lot of brash, working-class characters, but I haven't found an example of him doing a cockney accent specifically.

But NONE of the English voice actors are credited. That's the problem.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I wouldn't really call it a derail since it was a thing that was explicitly in the game.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Fedule posted:

This reminds me. 25-30 hours is about the average time reported by people who finish the game.

Currently, the timer on my 3DS file (ie, the one where I rush through puzzle rooms and leave the dialogue on auto-advance) is at about 3:30:00.

Y'know, just for some perspective.

I uh....I had like 50-60. Of course, there was a lot of leaving the system on while I did other things, but I'm so ashamed.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It depends on whether Zero opens one of the doors and there's a goat inside. Otherwise, I'd go with my first instinct.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Meirlkor posted:

Calibur.
Calibur.
Obviously a reference to Excalibur. Right? Right?
:rant: English these days, can't get anyone to spell things right.

Actually, it's a misspelling of caliber, meaning one's importance or status. Calm yourself.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Edit: I may be an idiot

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 17, 2013

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Bruceski posted:

And what is that show? I see nothing by that title on Google.

It's not the title. The show really can't be named here. You're really better off not knowing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

...I was thinking of a completely different Show That Must Not Be Named.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The D-RGON is probably Spike the dragon. The other FM is definitely a reference to the lovely 20% cooler joke.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Speedball posted:

So did G-OLM speak in a Kansai accent or something in Japanese?

If a character in a Japanese work has been translated into a remarkable accent, they're gonna be kansai.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Color Printer posted:

So even if he was holding the key all this time, he never would have figured it out. :suicide:

Shows how smart Species B is.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

There's actually another there.

That's not really a running joke unique to the Zero Escape series. You see it pretty much everywhere.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Bruceski posted:

Well in the last game Lotus was some sort of half-genie computer wizard. That's not something you see often either.

Yeah, I wasn't a huge fan of WayForward's first attempt at a Kickstarter either.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Tarezax posted:

Sigma's from California.

And Clover is still Japanese. Pretty much the entirety of 999's cast is Japanese, even in the English version.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

legoman727 posted:

So what you're saying is that this is all Miss Frizzle's fault somehow?

Please let this be a normal Nonary Game...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Aumanor posted:

Bitch!

Bitch!!

And now we don't even get to dodge her in this round?
BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITCH!!!:argh:

gently caress this poo poo, I'm voting betray even if she takes every single other player hostage.

You have way too many feelings about this video game character.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

:munch:

Well, thread?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

Which is why I'd have loved for the scene after the Ally decision to have continued for a bit longer - if we could see Alice's reaction to Sigma's death that would be very telling.

Why do all you people want the story to go on after the literal viewpoint character is dead? That's not the point of the dead ends, ya palookas. It's just Sigma loving up.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

2 happens right at the beginning, I think, even before you choose a path.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I find it funny that people still think that sprites are cheaper than 3D models. If you're working at a very low resolution, maybe, but either way, 3D models only have a big initial cost of making and rigging the model, and animations (at least, VN style animations) cost barely anything after that, while sprites have cost associated with each unique animation frame.

But they're 2D! That means they're cheaper! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

That trophy better somehow be a reference to Alexandre Dumas, or else that's a shameful typo.

• Locked thread