Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Sundowner posted:

I have neither played the game nor read the previous LP. I probably should but I'm not too heavily vested in the game or series. I might go through it in the time between updates here.

As someone who just finished 999 (as in 1 hour ago), I have to say you really should play it, it's pretty great.

Don't plow through it in less a few days, though, it's pretty long (especially with the multiple endings) and doing all the endings so fast can be...emotionally draining. :smith:

Of course, you should also probably play through all of it ASAP since this game will probably spoil most of the first one, and also allow a much better experience if you've played the first one, like a certain other Japanese visual novel about trapped characters. So...pace yourself, I guess is what I'm saying here.

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

RefinedUndefined posted:

We know that, we were told in the OP to have either played or read the LP of 999 first. Did you even read it?

Yeah, I did. I was just emphasizing it for him and encouraging him to play the first game. v:shobon:v

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

I, uh, didn't expect 999 to become relevant this fast. :stare: Twice, even.

Also, Sigma's constant quips are really making me wish he was voice acted because holy crap.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I don't think you ever see Clover's shoes in 999, just in stuff like concept art, so this should be a non-issue.

I distinctly remember you do at at least one point:

Kinda hard for me to forget that image! :v:

EDIT: vvv He was thoroughly warned :colbert:

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 25, 2013

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Overflight posted:

...OK, is it just me or do these two look MIGHTY SIMILAR? Could also be the art style, but still. :tinfoil:

The two ponytail-looking things on the sides of her hair (I don't know what they're called) look similar, but that's about it.

Also looking at that GIF, I have to agree with Fedule, that menu button looks like it would get incredibly irritating after a while. :geno:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Oraculum Animi posted:

Is Alice in this game the same as the hitchhiker at the end of 999 or is it Lotus?

Come on now, I think Lotus would have the decency and intelligence to wear more clothes than this. :colbert:

...like, one more article of clothing. But still!

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

If I played 999 in one go for that long, I would have been an emotional wreck at the end of it, jesus christ. :catstare:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Fedule posted:

Don't Google or Wiki anything related to the game (or even 999)

"It's from 999? I didn't know that. Let's google it and see where it saaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH" -Me, yesterday

Don't be like me. :smith:

On the topic of the update, I see we have our clear Seven analogue. I wonder if he'll be given a similarly silly nickname.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

With all these rabbits puns, I now understand the title of the LP.

I don't really want to understand the title of the LP anymore.

Also couldn't they also do 3 reds, 3 blues, and 3 greens, and go through the complimentary color doors?

EDIT: Oh, Zero III was asking specifically about the magenta door. I can't read. :downs:

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 27, 2013

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Again, 999 is a game where a 12-year old girl mindlinks with her childhood friend 9 years in the future, miles away from each other, and the whole game involves avoiding a temporal paradox. Right now this is game is somehow less absurd.

...I have no doubt in my mind this will change soon, but still.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Since Zero III outright tells us one of them is Zero from the very beginning, I'm willing to bet there's a catch or a twist there. Like, for example, K is Zero but he doesn't remember it at all. But that's way too obvious.

Of course the twist could easily be "Zero III is lying" but that's no fun.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Time to hop on through the Magenta door.

Also I am getting major GLaDOS vibes when Zero III's voice goes deep. Penalized.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

SingerOfW posted:

Pretty sure the writer had to change the penalty because the producers considered explosions way too graphic for this kind of game. And honestly, it really is, even if it's just in text.

This is the one thing that kinda creeped me out about 999: whoever wrote the descriptions of the exploded bodies went into wayyyyyyy too much detail. Like, holy poo poo. Dial it back a bit.

EDIT: vvvv I didn't even think about that :psyboom:

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 29, 2013

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

I think the worst part about 999's fast forward function is how inconsistent it is. If I remember right, it made me sit through Seven's entire spiel on the Gigantic a second time just because it was book ended by slightly different bits of dialogue. But then, after skipping the elevator scene (you know the one), it stopped fast-forward for only one line at the bottom of the elevator, which is slightly different if you skip that scene. And then it just went right back to fast forwarding.

Actually the worst part is it's not a loving toggle. :argh:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Fedule posted:

She's right.
If you don't everything down there is going to get wet.

...Huh?
Wait, what?

I said, everything down there is going to get wet.

(...)

Oh, gently caress you game, you made that exact same joke last game. :mad: (That and the sofa musical note joke)

Also I think if I had chosen this first I would have blown my brains out. All that inventory management.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Edit: nvm

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 14:11 on May 31, 2013

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

slowbeef posted:

I think the thing that bugged me is that I got the Easy puzzle wrong (the logic puzzle wasn't so bad), and if you get poo poo wrong you have to...

- Take all your drinks off the bar, and see the inventory screen popup each time
- Dump your drinks in the garbage, see the empty glass pop up each time, since it's sort of a new item
- Take the bottles out of the drink maker, and put new ones back in (guess what pops up each time)
- Repeat until you realize your mistake and do it right

It's one of those things where you roll your eyes and go "there was NO easier way you could've had me do this?"

Hilariously, some things in 999 would alleviated this problem:

- I'm pretty sure half of these things would have been automated, or turned into a simple minigame that didn't involve navigating an inventory filled to the brim with crap.
- When you get new items that are just altered versions of items, the item screen doesn't pop up. An example is the empty bottles of liquid in the medical examination room, or when you mix them in the beaker to get a purple liquid; it gives you the purple liquid when you leave the puzzle, but it does so silently.
- A way to change items without going into the item screen, which really was insanely helpful.

But VLR didn't do any of that here. Yaaaaaaay! :v:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

The pairs we came up with are...interesting here.

There's probably no way Alice and Clover will betray each other, unless K interjects. (Also, Potassium is the greatest possible nickname Zero III could have come up with.)

Likewise, if Quark and Tenmyoldy (I don't remember how to spell his name aaaaa) really are close like it showed earlier, they won't betray each other either. Unless Dio has something to say about it, which he probably does.

As for Luna....

Well now I'm just imagining Luna laughing maniacally and slamming her hand down on the "BETRAY" button. It's a pretty funny image.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

beru04 posted:

For the math thing on the previous page, you can't think of it as +6, because you're locked in with your pair for the whole game.

I really hope the pairs change up or something, because then we're just stuck with Phi and Luna/Alice/Tenmyouji for the rest of the game. That's pretty limited compared to 999.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

theshim posted:

The real trick is that if you betray anyone, no one will ever ally with you for one simple reason: you'll have 6 BP. Meaning if one more person agrees to ally, and you betray them, you can escape and leave everyone else high and dry.

Unless, of course, the person you betrayed also chose to betray, in which case you still have 3 BP. It's just that there are more jerks in the group than there would have been otherwise.

EDIT: vvvv That reminds me. When I was playing 999, I thought too much about digital roots and I reasoned that Ace was the one who killed Guy X with Mr. 9's bracelet waaaaaaay early on, and it drove me up the loving wall until I got to the Safe ending.

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jun 3, 2013

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Color Printer posted:

There's probably no way Alice and Clover will betray each other, unless K interjects. (Also, Potassium is the greatest possible nickname Zero III could have come up with.)

Likewise, if Quark and Tenmyoldy (I don't remember how to spell his name aaaaa) really are close like it showed earlier, they won't betray each other either. Unless Dio has something to say about it, which he probably does.

As for Luna....

Well now I'm just imagining Luna laughing maniacally and slamming her hand down on the "BETRAY" button. It's a pretty funny image.

Hahahahahahahaha everything about my post was entirely loving wrong (or right? it depends on which member of the pair chose to Betray, I guess), including the mental image of Luna hitting Betray.

Things here just got a lot more interesting.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

edit: I'm illiterate and dumb :downs:

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jun 4, 2013

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Hahahahahaha I'm apparently completely illiterate :downsgun:

Either way I'm definitely sure they wouldn't pull the same shtick twice.

Unless....they know I'm going to think that...:tinfoil:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

njsykora posted:

I do like that they get that you only need the bracelet to open the door early this time since they know anyone returning from 999 will be onto that immediately.

Except for Clover who apparently completely forgot how this game works again.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Added Space posted:

You're forgetting that nearly all of the bracelets, except those of the 9th man and fake Snake, were duds that only opened doors. Snake had no problem simply taking his off at one point, presumably others could but noone was brave enough to try.

He only managed to get it off because he crushed his prosthetic arm a bit. Junpei definitely also tried to get his off in the beginning. Them being securely attached was real; the detonator was false. (Jury's still out on whether or not there were actually any bombs in their intestines, though.)

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

whitehelm posted:

Huh? K has 6 points, and literally the only thing we know about him is that he was willing to betray in round 1.

Not quite! We didn't hear anything about what happened with K and Clover. We can guess, but we have no idea. It's sort of the same thing with Dio and Quark; we're pretty sure we know what happened, but not 100% certain.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

What really bugs me is that I swear during one of the flashback sequences to the "Seek a door that carries a 9/q" part, during that line I thought they showed the speaker onscreen instead of the paper, which threw me off. That's why I went "WHAT?" when that little twist was revealed. I never went back and checked if I remembered correctly though.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

SingerOfW posted:

That's because one of the drawers doesn't look like one, so it's very easy to miss. I think. I need to check the escape again, but I can testify that this room is difficult for the most trifle of reasons.

Ask me how long I was stuck in the first room of 999 because I didn't notice the curtain with the red suitcase behind it :shepicide:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

I think it also serves as some sort of time limit. If your group doesn't finish the puzzles and get back before the next AB game finishes, it's the end of the line!

(Unless the vote countdown doesn't start until everyone's finished, I'm not quite sure if that's the case or not)

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 18, 2013

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Gonna laugh if it's Zero III coming up for one last announcement/conversation while doing a British impersonation.

I...can't think of what else it would be, really.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Justin_Brett posted:

I would assume people who've finished the game are barred from this?

I think the point is it's not in the credits.

Also the people who finished the game should be the ones googling considering all the spoilers that are no doubt out there! :v:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Considering G-OLM's spiel about the Chinese Room, the subconscious, and feeling kind of like humans do, I think it's safe to say any robots in the group aren't aware they're robots. (Unless they are also Zero :tinfoil:)

Of course, knowing the twist from the first game, I'm sure all this information will come back to bite us in the rear end in new, terrifying ways we didn't even consider.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

I assume most of the Game Overs are several variations of "oops you hit 0 BP and died".

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

I'm really starting to wonder whether the fact that Clover going loving nuts when she thinks her brother was murder-sploded by someone whilst playing a game of life or death that she's already been forced to play once before as a child really counts as "psychotic tendencies". I'm no expert on human psychology, but come on now.

(Of course the minute she shows signs of completely going off the deep again I am going to immediately regret this post.)

EDIT: vvv I'm not really arguing that she won't, I'm just saying "psychotic tendencies" just sounds like a really funny label. One incident does not a tendency make.

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jul 9, 2013

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Spatula City posted:

I'd be furious with Clover if she hadn't already been established in 999 as dumb and paranoid.

I dunno, in 999 she's fairly intelligent. And her paranoia is justified by the whole situation she's in. But here yeah they kinda turned it up a little too far.

Especially with regards to her being genuinely (as far as we can tell?) surprised about aspects of the Nonary Game that are the exact same as the two she's already been a part of. I mean what :psyduck:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Fedule posted:

This time round, we don't get to pretend that the order in which we visit places has any bearing on the plot, because we don't even get a choice. Oh well!

I just remembered that this kinda bugged me about 999 more than it really should have, I guess. Almost nothing relevant to the plot happened when you were running around looking for Snake, why did they even bother letting you run to the different rooms in any order indefinitely? What made it even more baffling is when I did it in a different order the second time and OOPS NEW TEXT CAN'T FAST FORWARD.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

SgtSteel91 posted:

Wait, how do we know if Quark already left and no one saw him leave?

I would assume the helpful announcer would come on and notify everyone that The Number Nine Door is about to open. After 9 seconds, the Number Nine Door will close for good. Or something like that.

I hope Zero III comes back and taunts everyone left behind if that happens. :allears:

...boy, that sentence made me sound like a dick

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

I didn't get what it was leading up to but when I saw the GIF that compared the shots I just kinda paused a moment before going "....well, hoooo-leeeee poo poo."

I still didn't realize it was Luna's room until they explicitly told me. Either way I don't know what to think anymore. :ohdear:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Hey at least we don't have to worry about her betraying us anymore, right guys?

....guys? :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Kgummy posted:

Was there a Zero in the first Nonary game? I thought there wasn't. And that the first Nonary game with a Zero was the one with Junpei. Or at least one where someone called themselves zero.

I think Ace was effectively Zero but not really. The first Nonary game was an experiment run by Cradle Pharmaceuticals, after all.

• Locked thread