Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Oh hey, I caught up. After having played 999, I actually got a 3DS mostly for this game and the new Ace Attorney. I've been playing along but I guess I'll have move forward to the unknown future by myself now. :ohdear:

One thing I've learned reading this thread is that, while pretty good at avoiding obvious spoilers, some goons really can't stop themselves from going all "I've played this game before and watching all these newbies speculate is so cute :allears: :allears:". It's like something programmed into people who read LPs like this, one just has to make it known that they know things and you don't by any means necessary. Could just be my pet peeve but even if it doesn't spoil anything, it's terribly annoying to read through. So those people are condescending jerks. :colbert:

Anyhow, I like Dio's character here. I mean he goes above and beyond when it comes to being a dick but having a person like that in the game makes the whole thing more interesting, at least assuming there's something more to his character than what we've seen so far. Obviously Ace in 999 was a dick too but that didn't really come to play until relatively late and after most choices had already been made. It also helps that I could listen to Liam O'Brien all day (which I can't do myself because I don't have English voices).

One thing that throws me off in the 3DS version is the green, computer-y filter on the screen you interact with. Knowing how much the guy behind these games loves to use things like that to mess with the player, I can't help but think it's there for a reason. But the Vita version doesn't have it due to only having a single screen, which makes it a strange inconsistency whether or not it's actually meaningful.

Another thing is that unless Fedule is purposefully not showing everything, the 3DS version of the flow tree seems to show every branch to their completion rather than cutting them off. It's kind of a pain because it's impossible to avoid seeing which branches continue the furthest and which ones have an early dead (heh) end. I hate having foreknowledge like that, even if it suits the game in some meta way.

In any case, game is great and the LP is great. Keep up the good work and I personally really appreciate the dual audio, I can listen to the original voices in my own game and then the well-made English version afterwards. Which reminds me that it's pretty jarring how the text speed is made to match up with the Japanese voices. I think orenronen mentioned that some lines were altered dramatically and it's really rather noticeable when the textbox says "Alright" but the character is clearly saying a long sentence in Japanese, leading to the one-word line scrolling e-x-t-r-e-m-e-l-y slowly. Or vice versa where four lines of text just blaze through the box when the Japanese VA says something like "Sigma?" :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Fedule posted:

You're both right. There are certain branches that are hidden until you reach them, but the default flowchart still shows a number of conspicuously long and short branches past the point shown in my screenshots, and I am very deliberately cropping that screenshot such that you can't see which branches extend downward.

So the version I saw is not the complete one either? Well that'd be a relief and actually make sense. Also means I'll be playing this game for an even longer time, I'm trying to take it slow since I'm a sucker for games like this but there aren't a lot of them and they're always over too soon. It's not exactly easy though.

The only thing I'm a bit disappointed of in this game is the soundtrack, it seems to do quantity over quality this time around. The Laboratory theme is okay in my books since, although nothing special otherwise, you can occasionally hear the satisfying "You escaped" jingle in it. :3: Still, they do their job, but not much really stands out. At least they included 999's great tracks as well, Chill and Rigor for example still gets to me every single time.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 8, 2013

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Chill and Rigor, as I recall, only played in 999 when you were about to die. Here, Sigma pretty much says that he doesn't want to die and thinks of a solution and the game cuts to a To Be Continued, which more or less implies that he might not die after all.

Nah, you might be thinking of Quietus which is the bad end theme. Chill and Rigor definitely played elsewhere, in fact as early as when the group opens Door 5 after the 9th man redecorates the hallway behind it. There's also Eternitybox but that plays many times as well (and is also great).

At least most of VLR's good music plays during the novel sections which is when it's most important to build atmosphere. Ace Attorney really opened my eyes to just how much music and sound can affect the game, that series wouldn't be half as enjoyable without the great soundtracks and sound effects that are also timed and used really effectively.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

It's just not the same when nobody's blown-up corpse isn't described with food-related similes such as "what remained of his intestines spilled out like fresh spaghetti" and "half of his collapsed head made it look like raw pizza dough covered in tomato sauce".

Maybe they actually kept their writer fed this time around.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Nevermind!

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Nov 10, 2013

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

E: Post killed by lethal injection

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Nov 10, 2013

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

If Junji Ito had written VLR, this'd be the true ending.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

If I learned anything from 999 and Ever17, it's that nothing is what it seems like anyway so I don't bother thinking about things too hard at this point. It's all going to turn out to be something bizarre that'll put everything that has happened previously into a completely different light, most likely involving the player on some meta level.

Just going with the flow until then!

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Sigma being just some guy who happened to get kidnapped would actually be a genuine twist.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

To be fair we still know very little about the characters. In fact I don't think there's been any actual backstory to any of them aside from maybe Tenmyouji's voluntary participation and even he clammed up right after. In 999 the only characters that were interesting right away for me were Snake and Seven, the rest didn't really stand out.

The only characters I don't really care about in VLR so far are Quark and Clover, the former we've only seen as either "the kid" or going crazy over one thing or the other and not participating much. The latter I already saw a ton of in the previous game, although I'm sure there's more to her as well eventually. Luna's also been kind of bland but I figure that's on purpose, I'll be surprised if she remains like that the whole way. Sigma and Phi are also more interesting than Junpei and June were, it's nice to not have an obvious teenager as a protagonist for a change and I like their snarkiness.

I don't really care whether the characters are in 2D or 3D, there weren't exactly a ton of different sprites in 999 either. That said Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies showed what amazing and expressive animations you can come up with when you're not confined to 2D, so they could've done a bit more with that.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

Weren't both June and Junpei in their early twenties?

The specific ages are pretty irrelevant, I mostly meant that their mannerisms were pretty usual "young JRPG protagonist couple" fare.

Obviously it was FAKE ALL ALONG but that doesn't really matter when you don't know that for 99% of the game.

E:

Although I admit Junpei's terrible puns never ceased to amuse me even though everyone else seemed to hate him for them. :v:

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 12, 2013

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Gonna be a whole lot of jumping around from one path to the other after this one gets to the end I suppose. Might get tricky to keep up.

Also, a multi-room setup as the potential second puzzle room? Might not be the best introduction if you start with this path.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

quote:

Welcome to Good Burger, home of the Good Burger.

Oops, sorry, wrong number.

I found this more amusing than I probably should've.

And it really is a shame that we didn't see Sigma's victory dance. :(

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Schrödinger's grandmas! :argh:

Seems like this path order worked pretty well though, after the other two one would expect this to be about the same this early. I'm still not a huge fan of seeing things ahead of time though, unless it's some sort of intentional mind trickery.

Also the casual way Tenmyouji chats about his videos and the hotness level of the poster girl with Quark is pretty funny. And no dead lady to bring him down this time either! Well, yet.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Ixjuvin posted:

Oh man we are hecka on the moon

The thing floating in the sky looks pretty cratered and moon-like though.

Unless we're on the other moon. :tinfoil:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Clarste posted:

I would assume the dialog about Sigma expecting someone in there changes.

Seems unlikely, probably just adds it to the heap of "things that only make sense later" that the series loves to pile up.

E: Or not

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 16, 2013

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

I'm pretty sure Alice has picked Ally each time in the first round, but since the situation is different now there's no real way to tell. I figure it could go either way, there's not much of a connection with Alice at this point and she hasn't shown any signs of being particularly friendly or particularly selfish.

Also it'd be pretty great if in a game where the protagonist has some kind of crazy visions or premonitions, it'd turn out he actually was just nuts all along and none of it really meant anything.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Good to see that K & Clover keep the betray train rolling even in bizarro world. :v:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Sentient Data posted:

Given how much of that is going around, I suggest that for the next in-thread vote, (which I think is choosing the next CD) we also have the option to just go back to this AB game and defend against her betray.

Sure, we might be stuck with nobody trusting us due to our first round being betray-betray, but we shouldn't have to spend every round like the Dio one, constantly worrying about death due to the 1BP - we could at least vote ally for round 2's AB without needing to fear blackmail or a backstabber or some other trick.

We already know what the reward is for being so virtuous after getting stabbed in the back time and time again, it's time we actually act like our life is on the line against all the non-Luna scumbags instead

I don't really see a reason to be worried about dying since all the paths ultimately play out differently anyway. Besides, it could be interesting to see if there's going to be a different outcome than "TO BE CONTINUED" on this path should Sigma's points go negative again.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

It says something about my playing pace that I only now caught up to the LP again even though we haven't even gotten to the next escape section yet. :v:

Even I can tell how much these last few conversations have reeked of foreshadowing though. All that "well my body sure feels foreign" is unusually unsubtle for this writer though, and I'm going to be disappointed if it's really just "robots" rather than some double-twist. :colbert:

Or if that's really the case, it's something revealed earlier rather than later. Nothing's worse in these kind of stories than mysteries that the player realizes early on but the story makes it a huge dramatic twist near the end that subsequently falls flat. But the writing in these games usually takes player speculation into consideration, first example that comes to mind is Ever17's "different girl in the elevator" which seemingly foreshadowed one kind of twist but turned out to be pretty misleading.

Of course it's extra muddy here because of the amount of paths and freedom the player has. It must've been an interesting challenge writing the whole thing while knowing that the player is going to have a very variable amount of information at any given point (except in the "final" path I presume).

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 5, 2013

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

To be fair if Sigma was one of the other characters instead of the protagonist, I think most people would immediately suspect him as well.

I mean the guy literally goes all "Uh..." and "I guess" when explaining himself, which is usually a certain sign that someone's lying or hiding something. You're terrible at this, guy. :colbert:

Also heh, annihilation babies.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Guess that's one advantage of playing on a 3DS, I've never noticed her facial expression at all due to the lower resolution.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Actually we haven't seen a single ending yet, that was just a Game Over. :v:

E: I have realized this all might've worked better if we had just completed one of the 3 branches at a time because things are going to get real confusing and fragmented soon.

E2: Which is kind of fitting I suppose. But still.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Dec 16, 2013

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Would've been great if one of the paths actually led to some random guy's backyard garden.

Have an enjoyable Christmas. :)

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

It's back!

I'm avoiding all speculation since I'm practically playing along and goons always figure things out, but I'll say that Biotope is a nice and chill theme. Despite the coin silliness the whole room is a nice change from all the metal walls.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Tenmyouji has obviously played the prequel, duh.

Fedule posted:

By the way, no one noticed I linked the wrong music in that update. Tsk tsk.

I admit I don't always click the 999 OST links since I remember most of the tracks anyway. :v:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Your update speed is pretty admirable, guess you had some free time during the holidays.

Also I guess everyone is just a normal person and there's nothing special about any of them! If Quark wasn't around to collapse and go crazy and what have you all the time I'm sure everything would be downright boring with all these completely ordinary people around.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

That cliff is going to be all worn out from all this hanging by the time this LP is done.

Or maybe Alice just found some :420: from the garden.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Yay for magic technology, people liquid for everyone!

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

I listen to the English one since I've only heard it in Japanese. I like 'em both though.

Also an update with no cliffhanger, voted 1.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Ally tends to be the "default" option so picking it first leaves something to look forward to, namely juicy betrayal drama. Especially if everyone else will pick Ally as they claim which, to be fair, isn't all that likely because we're evidently stuck with a group of untrustworthy dicks. I mean look at this guy for example

Fedule posted:

Promise.

I like K but how someone without a visible face can still manage to have such an obvious "Imma screw you over" expression is beyond me.

We really ought to pick both before jumping to yet another timeline though, there's already way too many completely separate paths open and it'd be nice to at least one with a clear goal/ending.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

On the other hand, Alice betrayed Sigma first, and called him an idiot for allying. Turnabout is fair play. When she was conscious, she wasn't a nice person, why should we give a poo poo just because she's unconscious? I doubt we could trust her if she was awake.

Because we're a video game protagonist :v:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Hah, when back in 2013 I ended up taking a two-year-long hiatus from this game after playing along and catching up with the LP at the time, I never imagined that almost two years later when I picked it up again I'd catch up a second time. My last post in this thread was in, lemme check... January 2014. :v:

Good to see you're still trucking on slowly but steadily, Fedule. Guess I'll be playing along once again.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 15, 2015

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Onmi posted:

Alice killed herself because she has Radical-6. I mean... this is pretty obvious now.

There's also this from before:

Fedule posted:

When the doors opened, however, she left—somewhat unsteadily—in the direction of the cyan door.

Poor Alice, she's had a real rough Nonary Game so far. Lady gets stabbed no matter where she goes and when she finally gets her own ending, everybody explodes.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Those white doors sure have been elusive. Have we actually been through a single one since the very first (highly murderous) path two years ago which led to the Security Room and from there to the Director's Office and its password which still hasn't come up?

We've reached the second round of voting a great many times but I'm pretty sure there have always been some distractions like bombs and people running off with their 9 points and what have you.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

I think I've said it before, but Chill and Rigor is such a fitting name for that track.

Also I like how obviously they're playing with people's expectations when it comes to Clover and murdering people. They know people have almost definitely played through 999 before this.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Quark has been such a non-person throughout this whole thing that it's straight up weird having him around and talking.

Also I didn't notice Tenmyouji's anime-style tear stream on the 3DS at all due to the lower resolution, much like with Clover's perma-smile it was probably better that way since it looks a bit silly. Haven't done the puzzle room yet, should be interesting.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

David Corbett posted:

Yikes. I just marathoned the archived Dangan Ronpa LP. Not sure what makes them that way, but visual novels turn out to be a spectacular medium for mystery.

A big part of it is that they include sound effects and music which is something books can't do. Audio is a great way to create atmosphere and DR, Zero Escape and Ace Attorney all have great soundtracks for example.

Speaking of, I wonder if one day someone will successfully LP an Ace Attorney game to the end. HelloWinter's LP was incredibly good but the updates for that one stopped just as it got to the best part.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

I didn't have any trouble with the controls of the bonus puzzle when I did it about an hour ago but it probably took me a solid half an hour to figure out. Real bastard of a puzzle, that one.

Also echoing this

suddenly cats posted:

Yessss I've been waiting for this update.

Also--

Fedule posted:

What are you going to shoot it with, then?

With...mind bullets...

It's called "telekinesis," Sigma.

:allears: This was one of my favorite references they threw into the localization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Hard to say which one it is in this scenario but I assume one of the two choices is going to be a quick Game Over again. Kinda hope we'll get it first or at least that it'll be the next choice people go for, coming back to a minute-long "you hosed up" scene later on from an entirely different timeline is a bit awkward.

• Locked thread