Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
This looks like it's gonna be super fantastic. The male and female lead already seem tons easier to deal with than Junpei and June. They're very sassy. Shame Sigma isn't voiced; he's got some great lines. Knowing Kotaro, I'm already suspicious about that. Is it just genre convention, or a cunning plot twist disguised as one? Either way, I look forward to having my socks knocked off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alopex
May 31, 2012

So, between the earlier choice of door and now this, there's six possible outcomes at this point in the game. We're shaping up to have a ton of variables. I can't wait to see what changes depending on who stabs who in the back. :allears:

Alopex
May 31, 2012

Zero III's voice actor is enjoying the poo poo out of her job.

If Ten, Luna, and Alice are all disinclined to betrayal in round one, that implies that whatever you pick you'll have at least four AB games before you can get yourself killed. It makes a certain amount of sense, everyone (but Sigma this one time) being more willing to potentially harm one person over potentially harming two people. Or at least more willing to take the responsibility for harming someone if they have a partner backing them up.

The next few updates promise to be delightfully awkward.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

So Sigma's from an area where getting a break from schoolwork for Christmas would be expected, or at least not unusual. That implies he's definitely not from Japan. America or one of many European countries, maybe, although American colleges usually have Fall and Spring semesters on either side of a secular winter break.

It's pretty hard to tell anyone's nationality or heritage from their goofy-rear end noun names, with the exception of the old fellow. I assume Sigma's POV would tell us if his was an alias or a gamertag or whatever, so I have to assume that his parents actually thought Sigma was a valid name for a human child.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

Clover's spate of inappropriate expressions continues. Clearly a glitch in her programming.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

GeneralYeti posted:

Problem is that Quark's probably an rear end in a top hat and is going to get us all trapped forever. He's probably Zero, too. :tinfoil:

Those bigass metal earmuffs of his are concealing his sinister devil horns.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

Oh poo poo. It's always the sweet, hippie-looking ones.

I bet K's not coming back in one piece.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

The hell is Radical-6 again? I like how he's keeping crucial info from Phi because he doesn't want to worry her. There's a murderer on the loose and they've been responsible for the deaths of at least three women who were nosing into the same things Phi was and she's been keeping a very cool head about that.

Clover being the murderer is the most obvious which means she's probably not the one. I figure that she cracked Luna's head against something and panicked under the impression that she'd killed her. Then one of the other two finished the job. Possibly to cover up the fact that they were the ones who really killed Alice.

I want to think it's Dio because so far he's the only guy without an obvious connection to the mystery and he's an abrasive jerk. I don't want to suspect K because he's been a real bro (admittedly, so was Ace earlier). Plus, he threw us into the damned recording room, if he really is Zero he's either got a long game going on or he's a complete idiot. Unless he's a robot with split personality programs or something.

On the other hand, I doubt Dio had time to find and combine a syringe and the poison in that short window of time, especially if he stole the knife as well. He also didn't alert anyone to the body, but Dio's kind of a jerk like that. Clover seemed to be worked up and violent; a hands-off murder like Luna's wouldn't be the style of the girl with the bloodiest bad end in the prequel. Unless, of course, medical professional Luna prepared the syringe herself and Clover snatched and stabbed in self-defense.

K would probably have a tough time prepping the syringe as well, but he did have a long uninterrupted time period to do it in. On the other hand once more, if Luna was out for that long, she'd probably have some obvious bruising or blood on her head, and leaving out vital info like that when we got a good long look at the body is a huge dick move in the detective genre.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Wait... actually. K said he heard a scream. Could you scream if you've been injected in your neck with an OD of muscle relaxant? I suppose it's possible. It is supposed to take a while to go into effect.

The scream could have been either Luna or Clover, especially if Luna tried fighting back. Both K and Dio arrived on the scene pretty fast, as if summoned by something, so K probably wasn't lying about that.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

Man what the gently caress we're dropping like flies.

So either Quark made a break for it and hopped right back through the door after (and developed superpowers at some point because ain't no way a skinny kid like that's putting an axe through a big man in full armor without something weird being afoot), Luna faked her death with medical compounds, or someone activated Cockneybot and set him to murder mode.

Sigma is a much more likeable protagonist than Junpei.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

Dio's bracelet hasn't fallen off like the rest of the corpse bracelets. Hell, he's even vertical so you'd think it'd drop right off. Maybe he's the one faking it, although how you'd fake getting shanked in the guts and pinned to the wall is a puzzler. At least he wouldn't need any fake blood given the amount of it slopping all over the place.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

I hope this ending is Phi and Sigma staggering out of the deathtime funhouse with no questions answered, just two people mutually going "Man what the gently caress what the actual gently caress" at each other.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

Kay Kessler posted:

Someone early in the thread speculated that since in Japan the rabbit is usually thematic for the moon, that we're in fact currently on the moon. That's... certainly a theory. :psyduck:

I'd believe it.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

Motherfucker.

This is going to be an arc with a very different tone, I see. I wonder if he'll betray whenever he's not matched up with Quark. Luna and Alice are keeping up their trends of allying, at least.

Alopex fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 27, 2013

Alopex
May 31, 2012

I'd believe it.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

I hope there's a reasonable explanation for that smile somewhere down the line. She caught Radical-6 before and one of the side effects of Axelavir is a mild facial paralysis. She's a robot and they forgot to install her frowny muscles. She's Lotus after some extreme plastic surgery. Anything.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

I'm pretty sure that he's gonna go ally and this was just getting us to confirm an ally-ally. On the other hand, I bet it's gonna be hilariously awkward if we betray and he allies. Or if we both betray. Or if we ally and he betrays. Whatever happens, the fallout is gonna be glorious. :getin:

Alopex
May 31, 2012

Livingtrope posted:

Justify yourself.

Aside from what everyone else has said and the meta theory that a plain "you did it wrong and died the end" would be more anticlimactic than the alternatives? I could be entirely wrong, but like Phi, Dio's an rear end in a top hat but not necessarily a killer - which is what a betrayal at this point would turn him into. He pretty much has to be bluffing about smashing the bottle - Radical-6 has to be defended against via quarantine, which implies it's infectious, which further implies that without that Axelvir, everyone's going to get it including Dio himself. He's an rear end in a top hat and all, but he's pretty smart and obsessed with self-preservation. I don't think he's a big enough rear end in a top hat to kill everyone including himself out of plain spite.

This whole thing is vaguely reminiscent of that bargain between Phi, K, and Dio himself in the first playthrough, where Phi wanted to do an ally-ally bargain but didn't trust Dio enough to think he'd go through with it. Similarly, Dio's probably just figured out the optimum tit-for-tat strategy and thinks that since he betrayed last time, he'll never get anyone to ally with him. It won't get him enough points to exit this time, especially if Sigma betrays, but he'll at least get a reputation for choosing ally sometimes instead of choosing betray always.

Going to such backstabby lengths is probably counterintuitive when it comes to building trust, but on the other hand, Dio really really doesn't want to get kicked back down to 4. After all, if he does, it'll take him at least two more rounds through the AB room and that's two more rounds that make it more likely for someone else to get 9 and make a break for it. There's like, a snowball's chance in hell Sigma would go for it if he said he wanted to go for ally-ally, so he's got no choice but to be Dio about it.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

Aumanor posted:

I have to say, I'm really baffled by how some people seem to consider Clover a bigger threat than Dio. Guess it's just another one of those character love/hate/paranoia trains so frequent on this site that I didn't hop on. Sometimes I think I'm just not a very good goon :v:.

Once Dio snaps and murders half a dozen people with an axe then we'll talk.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

I figured he'd have some complex plot behind it all, but nope, just a conniving little prick. K buddy, you better avenge our dumb dead rear end.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

I love how I was wrong on just about every point possible except which option was better.

On the other hand, hahaha wow Dio got hosed over hard and it was entirely his own fault. I'm kinda sad Sigma didn't get to punch him, but I guess it would've dulled the ensuing emotional pain. And hey, he's got the rest of their lives to punch him in now.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

Hahaha WOW this was the opposite of what I expected.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

I like the scenes where everyone just hangs out and gossips and raise twice as many new questions as they answer.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

Kaja Rainbow posted:

Ha, so he dresses like a circus ringleader because that's exactly what he is. That just amused me after seeing someone comment on that. I was all, "Oh, he does dress like one, doesn't he?" And it turns out... yeah.

But, interesting. Murdered father, huh? That kinda rules out being an Egyptian mummy, come to think of it. And there're just so many interesting little factoids learned about everyone. Though we already knew about LUna'as whole medical thing.

It's a very, very old murder mystery. :colbert:

Alopex
May 31, 2012

According to my research, a tit-for-tat strategy is our best hope for survival.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This game is gloriously ridiculous. I'm glad we're getting into the meat of the silly plot twists again. :allears:

Alopex
May 31, 2012

I don't think just plain freezing would do it - in actual cryogenics, there's a bunch of extra precautions you need to take, otherwise the expanding water in the cells makes them rupture and then when you thaw the poor bastard they wake up dead.

This may be the wrong game to nitpick about science, though.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

:psyduck: What the gently caress Alice. What the gently caress. Also, how the gently caress.

The only thing that changed was one unobserved button push, so I'm at a complete loss for reasonable theories. My unreasonable theories are as follows:

1. While in the AB rooms in this round, Zero offered to tell her what Sigma presses and lied in both timelines, hence her assumption he'd betray.

2. Clover's accessing the morphogenic fields and feeding her info... but having Sigma influenced by us outside of the timeline is making her predictions inaccurate.

So far, the only people we haven't seen lose points are K, Dio, and Quark, mostly because they always betray unless prevented by outside circumstances and whatever went on in Cyan Route Round One. Phi's lost points, but it's been Sigma's fault every last time. She only allies if its a guaranteed two points, which happens relatively often with her.

So those four are pretty consistently self-serving. Likewise, Clover's pretty betrayal-oriented. She's allied exactly once, and she was dead at that point. Luna's always allied, making Sigma, Ten, and Alice the wild cards.

Sigma can be explained due to being run by goon committee. As far as I can tell, Ten either tends to ally by default and betray under special circumstances, like being at 1 BP, pairing up with Dio, or whatever the gently caress went on in Yellow Round One. Or he tends to betray by default and allies under special circumstances like being set up against Quark... or K, for whatever reason. Maybe he's close to pre-amnesia K and Quark's a K clone. Or he just doesn't want to get on K's bad side because he's a big hulking armor man.

And of course nobody knows what the gently caress's up with Alice.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

:allears: Okay, Sigma and Phi being smug little fucks in the slap sequence was 100% hilarious and worth the inevitable ensuing clusterfuck of betrayal.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

I like how the narration points out that they carry on like that for a while. Poor Luna. :allears:

Alopex
May 31, 2012

Let's get all this betray out of our system.

It probably would have been smart for Sigma and Phi to stay outside and leave the voting up to Luna and her 5 points, but this is a pretty good system they have here. Just one person responsible for the voting in 2/3 of the teams and minimal head games.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

Looks like getting K to smack Phi in the head before she can flee is the way to go here.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

Knowing this game, I bet that if they waste their time looking, there's no third bomb and they all get killed while splitting up, but if they don't look, Zero sets up another one and then blows the whole place sky high.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

Now there is literally nobody who isn't a betray away from death or escape. This is gonna be explosive. :unsmigghh:

Alopex
May 31, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Now, I know that's obvious due to her design in-game, but then you get things like this picture (NSFW) and this flash game (even more NSFW) that were used to promote VLR...

:catstare: The gently caress was that, and why the anime school swimsuit?

Alopex
May 31, 2012

Because Sigma is thinking about sex in all those rare occasions he's not thinking about cat puns.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

xeose4 posted:

I stand by my statement.

It's just building up for a side of extra terrible.

Good people die, so we should be fine.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

I'm less surprised by what appears to be the loving moon than I am by Dio, what the gently caress is his deal?

Is he an alien? I would not be surprised.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

This seems to be the ending most people get first for some reason. At least part of it is that it has no plot locks but I wonder if there's more to it.

Maybe they want to get the being a dick to Luna out of the way first.

Anyway he had to leave behind his sweet hat to fit into the helmet so I consider this ending his loss.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

An easy explanation would be that Alice just looked into so much prime factor stuff during previous decoding shenanigans that she knows the answer to that one off the top of her head. Like, if you do a lot of, say, nursing, and if you get an 180 pound guy who needs some Drug X, you'll be able to skip all the internal calculations of converting pounds to kilograms and milligrams needed per kilogram and milligrams per cubic centimeter and just be able to say "well, I'd better get 15cc of Drug X" right off the top of your head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alopex
May 31, 2012

Sentient Data posted:

But even if it is Mars, how it's that functionality different than the moon? Unless I missed something, the big point of the moon theory is the fact that it's not on earth, not that the specific spot on the moon matters

The gravity's closer to Earth's so they wouldn't be bouncing around in their space suits in Dio End.

• Locked thread