Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

It's a tragedy, really. Snake-spaghetti was maybe my favourite part of 999.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

Wild Knight posted:

Why can't we see Sigma in these shots? Is that important, or is that the game specifically taking every possible measure to anonymize Sigma, to the extent of not showing not only his face and his voice, but his model?
Yeah, I found it pretty distracting when I played through. But apparently it's just standard practice for visual novels. I'm pretty sure most of them are the same way.

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

I bet she's like a veterinarian or something. Seems like she'd love puppies.

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

Kgummy posted:

Is it just me or is the girl in the Chinese Room Argument look somewhat like Luna? Similar hair color/style. The 'vest' kind of clothing. Similar kind of built, at least I think so. Kind of hard to tell with the picture.

It's gotta be more than a coincidence.

I think it's just for the sake of humour. That's why Luna was uncomfortable about the girl being pretty and talking about her underwear.

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

orenronen posted:

Sigma's lines are unchanged, but Luna's next line, translated as "Oh... I see...", is more like "Oh, so that's the reason you won't betray..." in a disappointed tone of voice, implying more explicitly she wished he would ally for a more altruistic reason than Nonary game strategy.

There is one segment of text in this update that's almost a complete rewrite from the original. Anyone care to guess what it is?

My money's on the weird airplane/discovering a dead body metaphor thing.

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

This is like her what, third Nonary Game? You'd think she'd be like, idk hardened or something by now.

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

I'm pretty sure Dio's empty handed there. You can see his open fingers below his bracelet.

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

tiistai posted:

Nah. I was going to draw Luna anyway, but for now I'm not planning on doing the rest. Maybe later, dunnodonno.

Number 6 bracelet? On the left hand?

Uh oh.

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

Super Jay Mann posted:

So Soporil causes severe memory loss, hey?

That seems like an entirely irrelevant detail to add to that description. Yep, nothing to see here :colbert:

I think that might just be a little tidbit to justify Seven's very convenient amnesia. I don't think it was explained at all in 999.

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

Once you're out of the beginning stages of the game I find she gets a lot better.

it's just that awful "i'm not batman" or w/e line that is so hard to get over

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

Glazius posted:

Huh. I wonder why we heard this information here and not in the previous route. Alice and Clover were together then too, weren't they? Maybe they found a thing in the new place they went to?

I'll have to look back at it but I'm not sure if they were together then. Didn't they have a little falling out after Clover betrayed Alice in the AB game?

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

And then you opened the package and instead of the normal art, the SD card just had ZERO'S ESCAPE written in black sharpie on the front.

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

it was the most terrifying game of sudoku ever played

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

This is all a revenge story on behalf of Science Boy.

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

Added Space posted:

Who's to say that everyone isn't infected? If they were all processing at the same speed, who would notice? It would also explain why the countdown timers seem so ridiculously fast.

If that's the case what happened to Quark and Sigma last timeline? Radical-7?

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

This is actually the first route I stumbled on, even before I figured out there was a flow-chart. The choice was agonising.

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

Sentient Data posted:

Simple, because he's the robot (or at least one of them, if there's more). "I must go" could be that he was given an (unbreakable) order to make sure that Ally is pressed, walking in as if he didn't even hear Phi doesn't necessarily mean something nefarious was happening

He and Clover betrayed Alice in the first AB round.

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'd say the soundtrack is somewhat less effective in this game, too.

Chill and Rigor, as I recall, only played in 999 when you were about to die. Here, Sigma pretty much says that he doesn't want to die and thinks of a solution and the game cuts to a To Be Continued, which more or less implies that he might not die after all.

There are also no tracks like Extreme Extrication, which give a foreboding feeling even when nothing is happening.

Yeah. I'm loving VLR and all, but god I miss 999's atmosphere. VLR's soundtrack is good but I don't think it holds a candle to 999's. And without the nine hour time limit the first game had, i don't know. Nothing in VLR feels really urgent. You can just laze about and play the AB game as many times as you want until everyone has 9 points and be on your merry way. In 999 you had constant reminders that the characters were in a dangerous situation. Find the DEAD or you will explode, the clock is ringing you only have _ hours until the ship sinks, to win this puzzle room strap someone onto this mysterious experiment chair in the middle of this torture chamber. I guess now that we've been through a run or so there's an aspect of like "oh man i gotta do something for quark b4 he goes crazy" or "oh man i gotta stop whoever killed alice before they kill alice", but I still don't really think it compares to 999's immediate danger.

like I don't want to be some "omg trve kvlt so br00tal" guy but man I hope it goes back to 999's mood.

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Dio being evil is probably one of the most disappointing things about VLR.

I remember in 999, I thought Santa would be evil or at least extremely difficult to deal with because he swore a lot and seemed like he'd be a jerk. And then he turned out to be one of the coolest guys in the game.

So, to have a jerk character in this game who turns out to actually be a total douche isn't much of a twist.

but you forget that Santa was evil, and was constantly struggling against the diabolical BLACK SANTA inside him

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

Kanfy posted:

If Junji Ito had written VLR, this'd be the true ending.

K: Th-THIS IS MY DOOR. IT WAS MADE FOR ME

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

Man, Agricola and Danny Trejo? I feel like this entire room was written by a completely different person than the rest of the game.

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

puns are deeply entrenched in the zero escape mythos

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

spoilers

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Nov 17, 2013

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

Wow I'm an rear end in a top hat. oops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU