Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
I'll admit to liking that kind of weirdness. Though I actually liked a lot of those outfits in the photos better than Clover's. But, yeah, Clover's outfit isn't exactly out of bounds of what I'd expect in terms of the more odd Japanese street fashion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Alopex posted:

Once Dio snaps and murders half a dozen people with an axe then we'll talk.
That's kinda generalizing from a specific situation in which she snapped, though. In other words, she's only really been a danger when someone close to her died (and in an apparent murder, no less--that sent her into paranoia mode). Snake in the first game and Alice in the second game. Alice isn't dead at this point. I strongly doubt that she'd leave without Alice. (Though judging from her reaction in the AB room, if Dio does vote to betray, it's entirely possible we might see her killing him.)

As for why I voted to Ally, it was for the simple reason that it seemed most in-character for Sigma.

Kaja Rainbow fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 30, 2013

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

RoeCocoa posted:

So while Dio is the most suspicious (besides Quark :v:), I think Clover is worth considering at least until we see how this timeline pans out.

Did you forget how she basically went all "I'll kill whoever killed Alice!" flipout?

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Ha, so he dresses like a circus ringleader because that's exactly what he is. That just amused me after seeing someone comment on that. I was all, "Oh, he does dress like one, doesn't he?" And it turns out... yeah.

But, interesting. Murdered father, huh? That kinda rules out being an Egyptian mummy, come to think of it. And there're just so many interesting little factoids learned about everyone. Though we already knew about Luna'as whole medical thing.

Kaja Rainbow fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 24, 2013

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Alopex posted:

It's a very, very old murder mystery. :colbert:
Come to think of it, the murderer still being alive after all that time would be far from the only insane thing the creators've put in those games. And Alice does seem to speak about all those things she spoke about wanting to do as if she hadn't done much of them. Well, modern clothes and food, anyway. But I'm only judging from the written dialogue. It's not like I can listen to the voices to judge her tone--I'm deaf.

It wouldn't surprise me if Alice actually was an ancient Egyptian mummy, or if she wasn't. Either way.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Mister Roboto posted:

This answers why Clover's dressed like she works at a Hooters; she does.

So far people are turning out to be exactly what they look like. Luna's a nurse, Dio's a circus person, Clover's a waitress, Phi is a flower, etc.

Clover's outfit's already been addressed. It's basically weird street fashion--similarly outlandish styles exist on certain streets in Tokyo. Hell, there's been whole moral outrages over the girls wearing those fashions and their supposed (not actual) demeanors.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Mister Roboto posted:

Haha, dude, I was the one who said that originally and posted all the Tokyo street fashion.
Oh, whoops, haha. Sometimes I miss it when people make jokes.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

GilliamYaeger posted:

Oh, I'm not so sure.

After all, he didn't even mention that he had a daughter did he?
I find him being a ringmaster more likely to be true than him having a daughter. The manipulative purpose of him claiming to have a daughter is obvious, the purpose of claiming to be a ringmaster not so much. Plus it explains his otherwise bizarre outfit.

The others more or less have (presumptive) reasons for their bizarre outfits, too. Quark's snack hat has practical purpose, Clover's is just street fashion (or a waitress outfit), Alice is either an ancient Egyptian or just the developers' screwing with us, K can't exactly help being trapped in a suit of armor for whatever reason (and it's likely the mastermind wanted to conceal his identity for whatever reason). Luna and Tennumoji's are sensible, and Phi's isn't particularly odd either.

Before this point, Dio's was the only truly unexplained strange outfit.

Kaja Rainbow fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Nov 24, 2013

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

They all feel "floaty". That I suppose does point to this place actually being on the moon. Still though, 16% earth gravity seems like it would be a lot more obvious, but oh well.
It would explain Phi's huge leap. But, yeah, it should be a little more obvious.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Them being in a desert does seem more probable to me. Indeed, it was the first thing I thought of.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Guest posted:

In 999 the morphogenic field stuff came out of loving no where midway through the game, which up until that point had been a murder mystery. It's convoluted as hell and allowed them to wash their hands of having to come up with a satisfying answer to all the questions that had been raised until that point.

Except that the mystery exists only to service the morphogenetic field concept in the first place. It's not like they invented that solution out of nowhere. They created the mystery intending to use that solution from the very start. In fact, forget the scifi babble, that's just how they justify the whole "the protagonist can use information from other playthroughs" premise. It's about explicitly making this a thing and saying "now what can we do with this conceit"? It's just that VLR plays with this conceit far more thoroughly than 999 did.

Really, this might not be the game for you. You might perhaps find Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (When the Cicadas Cry) and Umineko no Naku Koro ni (When the Seagulls Cry) more to your tastes. Perhaps. From what I've seen, they're more straight up mysteries than the No Escape series anyways.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

So now we're getting punished for betraying Phi even though we have never in fact betrayed Phi. If we betray her, she'll either MAGICALLY pick Ally making us a jerk, or she'll pick betray, and we'll still be a jerk either way.

Thanks, Game. Consume a phallus.

Actually, the magical part is that she picked betrayal just now--she would've picked ally otherwise. Looks like those precognitions're part of the problem, not just part of the solution. In fact, this game seems to be showing us the problems of using precognition when multiple timeline exist. It happened to us with Alice, and it happened to Phi.

In the end, we outright shouldn't trust precognition for predicting how other people'll act, particularly when we aren't the only one with precognition. Only thing it's really good for is giving us knowledge of things like the Axelier duplicator.

Also, I voted to go back and betray Phi, not because I want to get back at her but because I want to get it over with.

EDIT: Actually, I just now had an idea of what knowledge might stop her. If Phi really is a robot like people've been speculating (after all, she has superhuman abilities like she just displayed right now), then she might have a shutdown/override password or something like that.

EDIT EDIT: Not that overriding someone's free will leaves a good taste in my mouth, but it's better than having one person escaping on her own and screwing the rest over.

Kaja Rainbow fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Mar 15, 2014

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Poland Spring posted:

Oh did someone speculate correctly? :allears:

This fell under the exceptions noted for the new plot lock rules.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Spatula City posted:

hahahahaha, that's amazing. So, obviously everyone else has to be prevented from getting 9. Well, Clover might stay for Alice, and if Luna's on the level, she would stay, too. But K, Phi, Quark, Alice, Dio, and Tenmyougi cannot get 9.
Also, analyzing the paths, if we're betraying Alice initially, it sets up a likely death situation for three people, assuming the others vote as they did when we Allied. Luna, Alice, and Tenmyougi would all be in danger.

Quark also got 9 in the timeline where we allied with Luna, but it looks like Tenmyougi's actions changed as a result of our betrayal. And that was what got us a bad end.

Of course, all that death stuff happened on the route where we did ally, so...

EDIT: Oh, yeah, and K got 9 that one time, but he immediately left after Dio smashed the Axelavir, whereas it isn't necessarily the case in the timeline where we allied with Dio. And Phi was going to leave, but we managed to get her to stop. So it looks like whether they'll leave immediately or stay might depend on circumstances.

Kaja Rainbow fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 1, 2014

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Bruceski posted:

Because Creepy Japan (not to be confused with the rest of Japan).

I'm glad you included this qualifier.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Really, it seems pretty simple. They're in a desert, and that's Luna shining all red there in the sky. It's not like the Earth doesn't have really barren looking places like that.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Yeah, I really don't know why people're still clinging to the "they're on the moon" thing. There're far too many things going against it, including the fact that we saw the moon in this last update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Zyla posted:

also interesting are the discrepancies between alice's description of the Myrms and their Org and Dio's.

alice talks about left as the leader, but dio says left died and that hes a clone of left.

this means something!

Most likely that Alice just had outdated intel on the terrorist group.

• Locked thread